cant seem to find the HH so im just gonna post it as best as I remember30 sng on stars5 handed blinds 75/150Im chipleader with 4400Loose donk shoves form the button for 1400I reraise to 2800 from the small blind with AQ suitedBB shoves for 4200 total (BB appears to be a solid player)what do I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't reraise? If you just call the shove, the BB may just call as well and check down the player just to eliminate the short stack, or most likely fold and stay out of the way if he has a weak hand.If he does reraise you, if your read is he probably has you beat, you can still fold and have plenty of chips to continue kicking ***. If I'm in the BB I'm reraising you with AA, KK and maybe QQ. A reraise from a solid player in this situation should be read as very strong.Reraising with AQ in this spot is probably +EV, but when you get reraised from the blind your probably beat so bad that folding probably pays off more than calling.You're not playing for money in a sng, you're playing for a position. Keep that in mind.

Reraising with AQ in this spot is probably +EV, but when you get reraised from the blind your probably beat so bad that folding probably pays off more than calling.
Circular logic is fun.Seriously though. Just calling isn't a bad idea. It's not like we're giving the BB extraordinary odds when the blinds are only 75/150. I mean, he'd have to call 1250 more, with 2950 in the pot, so sure, it's 2.36-1, but it's well over 1/4 of his stack. I dunno, probably results oriented, at least somewhat though. I would generally iso here, but the more I think about it, the more I like simply calling, so we have room to fold to a BB shove.You know BB isn't reraising with trash, as he'll have to win a hand at showdown to win any part of that pot, so I'm sold on the call.
Don't reraise? If you just call the shove, the BB may just call as well and check down the player just to eliminate the short stack, or most likely fold and stay out of the way if he has a weak hand.If he does reraise you, if your read is he probably has you beat, you can still fold and have plenty of chips to continue kicking ***. If I'm in the BB I'm reraising you with AA, KK and maybe QQ. A reraise from a solid player in this situation should be read as very strong.Reraising with AQ in this spot is probably +EV, but when you get reraised from the blind your probably beat so bad that folding probably pays off more than calling.You're not playing for money in a sng, you're playing for a position. Keep that in mind.
well said potato

First of all, if you wanted to play this hand, you should have shoved so you don't get into this problem in the first place.As played, I would fold because I think we're drawing very slim to maybe 3 outs, if one of them has ak and the other has a pp, AJ/AQ almost always get's sliced into pieces by an allin then a reraise like this. Also how small are the other stacks if you fold. That's an important piece of info we need.

You dont have enough of a chip lead to preface it with "Im the chip leader". Its a tough situation, because if you just call then BB is clearly going to squeeze, but a raise pot commits you. Id push and put the decision on BB.

Well if you shove here you are still going to be in the same predicament anyway. 5 handed i think just calling is the best way to see a flop and lose the minimum in case BB wakes up with a monster. No need to lose almost your whole stack 5 handed when 3 pay with AQ.

Well if you shove here you are still going to be in the same predicament anyway. 5 handed i think just calling is the best way to see a flop and lose the minimum in case BB wakes up with a monster. No need to lose almost your whole stack 5 handed when 3 pay with AQ.
the problem is by just calling you give BB too much opporunity to represent the monster, or to limp and have position on you for the side pot. I'll caveat that with the possbility that BB is a very good SnG player who realizes the best play here is to call and cooperate and not fight you.
the problem is by just calling you give BB too much opporunity to represent the monster, or to limp and have position on you for the side pot. I'll caveat that with the possbility that BB is a very good SnG player who realizes the best play here is to call and cooperate and not fight you.
You are talking about just calling the original all-in right? I think that just calling that all-in is the right play here. The read we've been given by the OP was that we think the BB is a solid player. If that's the case, then just calling shows the BB that we've got a decent hand. If he's got a good hand but not a monster he may call as well and check down to try and eliminate the all-in. If he's got a monster then he will re-raise and you know to get out of his way. He can't really represent a monster since he will have to show down with the all-in even if he gets us to fold.What I just said is based on the OP's read that the BB seems like a solid player, if you think he's a donk or an idiot or whatever then you might be better off pushing to knock out any bad/mediocre hands he might try to play with and take the chance that he doesn't wake up with a monster.So I think that the best option is to just call the all-in and fold to a re-raise by the BB. But since that's not what happened, to the OP I would make the call, even though I don't like it at all, because you have pot-committed yourself with the re-raise. Although you could still fold at this point depending on the the other stack sizes, if someone is extremely short stacked then you could fold and just try to make the money since I can't think that AQs is going to do well often against the all-in and the BB's all-in. It would be a weak play but you could at least make the money. Not the best situation but I think your re-raise puts you in it.

I think in this situation the stacks of the other two people at the table are relevant. If the original shover is loose like you say, and you think that AQ will stand up well to his pushing range there, then iso-shoving I think is best, meaning that the BB has to have a MONSTER to call off all his chips. Folding for the 1400 is not so bad either. I'd probably mix it up and alternate the two plays a certain percentage of the time, and probably lean more towards iso-shoving. The reason I said the stacks of the other people are relevant, is that I think as played, you can just fold and still have plenty of chips to play the bubble assuming the solid BB has a good hand and it holds up.

if I remember right (its been awhile) the other 2 stacks were pretty short 1200ish.My thought at the time was that the button was such a loose donk and his range was so wide that if I just called the BB might call too with a less then average hand because my range for calling the all in could be quite wide. Was confident that my AQ was good against the allin but didnt want to let small PP's or hands like KJ or 10J in getting 2.5- 1 from the BB.That being said I think it was a mistake to reraise the allin. As someone stated already if the BB is a loose donk Im isolating everytime but with the BB being a solid player just calling the all in was definitly the right move. After the reraise by me I think regardless of the other stacks I just have too much commited to fold esp with my AQ being sooooooooted. Thanks for the comments guys good stuff

Something I didn't see mentioned was that the reraise creates a sidepot that is tempting for BB to try and steal.As played I would probably fold here.

I'm generally in favor of isolating against an all-in. However, if I'm going to isolate I want to be able to get heads-up but also be able to get away from it if I get slammed over the top. On these facts, a call works just fine because of the stack sizes and number of players remaining. One of three things can happen, none of which are terrible for you: (i) BB calls because of the odds, and then you play out the hand knowing that neither of you can bet without a big hand since you both want to bust the shortie, (ii) BB shoves over the top of you, in which case you have a pretty easy fold, or (iii) BB folds.I do NOT think BB can make a naked steal here, because (1) he will have to show it down, and (2) it's in his interest as well as yours to bust the short stack. So, a reraise from the BB here means big business. For that same reason, I think you have to fold when he comes over the top of you.

I'm generally in favor of isolating against an all-in. However, if I'm going to isolate I want to be able to get heads-up but also be able to get away from it if I get slammed over the top. On these facts, a call works just fine because of the stack sizes and number of players remaining. One of three things can happen, none of which are terrible for you: (i) BB calls because of the odds, and then you play out the hand knowing that neither of you can bet without a big hand since you both want to bust the shortie, (ii) BB shoves over the top of you, in which case you have a pretty easy fold, or (iii) BB folds.I do NOT think BB can make a naked steal here, because (1) he will have to show it down, and (2) it's in his interest as well as yours to bust the short stack. So, a reraise from the BB here means big business. For that same reason, I think you have to fold when he comes over the top of you.
True Story:I was playing a 1.10 sng on UB a month or so ago and was chip leader with 4 other decent opponents. One guy has not been getting any hands and is down to about 300 in chips. He gives up and goes all in. I have KT diamonds and call. Another player calls behind me. Unless I get the nuts or near nuts, I always check all the way through. Well a black A with two diamonds hits the board and the dummy in the hand bets something like 700 chips and another 1000 behind. Of course, I knew dummy had the A and I hate draws. I knew that if I didn't hit a flush on the turn, that dummy would shove costing me about 1/2 my stack. The dummy has a weak ace. Shorty ends up making a straight and triples up. I asked the dummy why he bet with a weak A and he willingly said he wanted to push me out. I went on to tell him how bad of a play that was when we had shorty isolated. I told him I would have checked all the way through and that getting rid of a player is more important in a tourney than a few more chips. If he had AAA, I could understand the push. Shorty goes on to win the tourney by putting out the dummy in HU. Though I didn't cash, it was somewhat satisfying to see shorty put out the dummy.
cant seem to find the HH so im just gonna post it as best as I remember30 sng on stars5 handed blinds 75/150Im chipleader with 4400Loose donk shoves form the button for 1400I reraise to 2800 from the small blind with AQ suitedBB shoves for 4200 total (BB appears to be a solid player)what do I do?
Well, you have to call now, you stupid idiot. (At least, that's what I tell myself when I put myself in these spots). Hope that the donk shoved with AT, the BB shoved with AK and you hit your Q and stay safe. (Crazier things have happened).
Well, you have to call now, you stupid idiot. (At least, that's what I tell myself when I put myself in these spots). Hope that the donk shoved with AT, the BB shoved with AK and you hit your Q and stay safe. (Crazier things have happened).
QFT