Watch Out For Those Bots!

fromhttp://www.pokerlistings.com/pokerbot-crui...-man-vs-machineUnofficially deemed the "Official Pokerbot World Championship," this is how it will go down:Texas Hold'em players from all over the world will convene in Miami, Florida on September 23 and amble aboard the Carnival Cruise ship Valor.Seven days of Fixed-Limit, Pot-Limit and No-Limit Hold'em action ensues, with all players in the same room using laptops and a live digital poker server, all contained within a closed local area network.Some of the players will be humans. Some of the players will be bots. Various entry fee tournaments will be played - from $10 satellites all the way to a $10,000 main event - with winners paid from each respective prize pool.And by the time the ship cruises back around to Miami from the Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, someone (or something) will be 2007 Pokerbot World Champion and we'll know who really rules the day - the live player, or the pokerbot.A full schedule of events has already been set and cruise registration is now open, so for more details, visit www.pokerbot.comThen I guess if the winners a robot it proves that you can have bots play poker well. And I guess they'll be coming to a online room near you!

It's interesting but unless they get some decent poker players playing it won't really prove anything. Sort of like Billy Jean King beating up on some second rate tennis player. I suspect internet players would be most likely to be able to win this thing and I don't imagine that you'd need to even be a top internet player to do well. I am curious to see the results though. While I don't think anyone is anywhere near being able to to build a bot than can beat even slightly competent humans I suspect that that day will eventually come.

It's interesting but unless they get some decent poker players playing it won't really prove anything. Sort of like Billy Jean King beating up on some second rate tennis player. I suspect internet players would be most likely to be able to win this thing and I don't imagine that you'd need to even be a top internet player to do well. I am curious to see the results though. While I don't think anyone is anywhere near being able to to build a bot than can beat even slightly competent humans I suspect that that day will eventually come.
The future looks mighty boring. People programming bots to play poker against other people's bots all night while all the human beings sleep.