Next Stage Of My Life Blog

Ok go and ask your local minister/priest what they think, I think you all know what they will say. ....
Well, I know, but you seem to be confused. Priests? You mean the ones who organize the bingo games? Here is paragraph 2413 from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matters, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant.
What does a modern poker "prophet" say? Here's Doyle Brunson on ethics:
There are two schools of thought on gambling. One is that a professional gambler should be a hustler. He ought to lie about his ability and scrounge around to find some suckers to fleece.The other school of thought is that a pro should never hustle. He should seek challenges and earn money because of his reputation as a fair and honorable player. Many gamblers feel they can make more money in the long run without misrepresenting their skills. -from Poker Wisdom of a Champion, Chapter 6.
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.gotquestions.org/gambling-sin.htmlI just think I should throw that one out there. It should at least burn the flame of the arguments down. it's all about how you percieve it. It's not just the fact that 'gambling is horrible, so I hate it'. Granted I do enjoy pulling in a big pot or somthing of that nature. However, to completely disreguard someone because they do somthing that is not CONDEMNED by the bible but is against your belief is AGAINST the word of god. You are outcasting him in that sense, which means you are judging him. Doesn't it say somthing about judging someone in the bible? I might be completely off of this right now, but it's the reason you play poker that drives the sin. I play for competition and for money.Anyway, my 2 cents.
I just think I should throw that one out there. It should at least burn the flame of the arguments down. it's all about how you percieve it. It's not just the fact that 'gambling is horrible, so I hate it'. Granted I do enjoy pulling in a big pot or somthing of that nature. However, to completely disreguard someone because they do somthing that is not CONDEMNED by the bible but is against your belief is AGAINST the word of god. You are outcasting him in that sense, which means you are judging him. Doesn't it say somthing about judging someone in the bible? I might be completely off of this right now, but it's the reason you play poker that drives the sin. I play for competition and for money.Anyway, my 2 cents.
Yep. Actually, Jesus never disregarded anyone who was doing something that WAS condemned - I refer everyone to the woman caught in adultery. Or any other of the many many sinners He had dinner with. Or healed. It's not about what they do, it's about what you do.

I think it largely depends which denomination you follow. I'm a catholic (occasionally practice) and I know there is no problem with me gambling. I do however know several denominations where it is a big problem and seen as totally unacceptable. I could never admit to my wifes parents I play poker, they would have a BIG problem with it.

3-2 Rooney in 90th minute yeaaah!"God told me" only true if God lives in everything...the players on the field and the light from the tele reaching my eyes.Peace

Daniel,Well done on the new house ! My wife wants to know who you're going to get to clean it ? I believe that you used to live in NW Vegas ? Did you move further West, South, or North or what ? The reason I ask is that my wife and I are planning to move back to Vegas from the Midwest sometime in the near future, and currently prefer the neighborhoods in far NW Vegas from Summerlin out to the Centennial Hills area, basically as far out on Charleston blvd as you can go.When you mentioned that you are now in a better area, I wondered which way you decided was better ? We would like to settle in the best area possible... ( $$ considered of course)Also, I was a player in the Jennifer Harman Tourney at Ceasar's......Had a wonderful time ! and met many pro players........All were very friendly, even Matusow.....I wanted to come over and introduce myself to you, but you were always engaged in other conversations, and I did not wish to appear rude. In any event, it was a great time, so please tell Jennifer she did a good thing, and please ask her to sponsor more such get togethers in the future.Keep up the good work with your religious studies. As someone who has spent the last 20 + years on the subject, I find it always encouraging to hear about such things.Good luck in the 5 star ! Congrats on the new house !SL