Next Stage Of My Life Blog

The PGA tour is full of a lot of Christian men. They pony up cash (or their sponsers... for this argument is doesn't matter) and the better you do, the more you receive from this pool of cash. Are they all sinning? It is investing money in your talent. Starting your own business does the same thing. Me, as a busniess owner and Christian man, has ponied up my own cash in an investment in my talent. That is not wrong in any way.Now you seem to lump gambling and poker into the same pool here. If so, think this way.... Gambling is taking a calculated risk, just some people are better at calculating that risk than others. Starting a business is taking a calculated risk, where depending on your talent is more or less likely to be successful. Poker is the same. Every decision is (should be) a calculated risk based on expected outcome.This is a fairly tired and not well thought out argument.

Daniel,I don't see how christianity fits in with gambling in anyway shape or form. I come from a religious family and so does my wife, but am not particularly religious myself. I could not however admit to playing poker as it goes against all christian principles and they would give me a hard time about it. I don't understand how you can play poker for a living and claim to lead a christian way of life?
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont remember ever reading a scripture or passage from the Bible that condemned poker or gambling as a sin. I could be wrong though.
1st Generalities verses 4-6Though shalt not chase the gutshot, for thouest are tempting the Lord with thy impurdence. Thy shalt instead check thy flop, and fold thy turn. Be not like the heathens wishing for luck, for luck is not thy Lord.Remember thy pot odds and reflect upon them when thou raise. Implied odds are from the devil and shall to the devil return.Please do not anyone quote me revelations where it says I am in big trouble for adding anything to the Bible...I appoligize, Lord bless the pygmies in Souh America
1st Generalities verses 4-6Though shalt not chase the gutshot, for thouest are tempting the Lord with thy impurdence. Thy shalt instead check thy flop, and fold thy turn. Be not like the heathens wishing for luck, for luck is not thy Lord.Remember thy pot odds and reflect upon them when thou raise. Implied odds are from the devil and shall to the devil return.Please do not anyone quote me revelations where it says I am in big trouble for adding anything to the Bible...I appoligize, Lord bless the pygmies in Souh America
Sounds familiar? I think its the Book of Doyle though.

LMAO! Nice touch.

The PGA tour is full of a lot of Christian men. They pony up cash (or their sponsers... for this argument is doesn't matter) and the better you do, the more you receive from this pool of cash. Are they all sinning? It is investing money in your talent. Starting your own business does the same thing. Me, as a busniess owner and Christian man, has ponied up my own cash in an investment in my talent. That is not wrong in any way.Now you seem to lump gambling and poker into the same pool here. If so, think this way.... Gambling is taking a calculated risk, just some people are better at calculating that risk than others. Starting a business is taking a calculated risk, where depending on your talent is more or less likely to be successful. Poker is the same. Every decision is (should be) a calculated risk based on expected outcome.This is a fairly tired and not well thought out argument.
LOL so you are saying poker is a sport? I'm a poker player and whilst I understand there is an amount of skill involved, it is gambling end of story. Setting up a business is providing a service thats different again. Poker is a fun pastime with some skill involved, but at the end of the day you are ****ing people over for their money and probably predating on donks you know are less likely to win than you. Each sect of christianity has a slightly different take on gambling but most disapprove.
LOL so you are saying poker is a sport? I'm a poker player and whilst I understand there is an amount of skill involved, it is gambling end of story. Setting up a business is providing a service thats different again. Poker is a fun pastime with some skill involved, but at the end of the day you are ****ing people over for their money and probably predating on donks you know are less likely to win than you. Each sect of christianity has a slightly different take on gambling but most disapprove.
You realize that this same basic principle applies to all of economics and finance right? Are professional investors who "beat" the market immoral? In order to maintain any semblence of equilibrium, people have to lose for other people to win financially in the long run. There are over 2,300 verses in the Bible that reference money. Jesus spoke more about money than Heaven and Hell combined. Not one of these verses that I'm aware of speaks ill of competition that has a monetary reward. As you admit to not being overly religious, a quick overview:The love of money / material posessions? Bad.Money? *not bad* David? Job? Very wealthy, and yet Godly, men.Stewardship with what we are given? Very important.I don't really recall any stories of Daniel preying on a degenerate trying clean them out, especially since he became a Christian. Your comment about "predating on donks" is absurd. He's not forcing anyone to play against him. Game selection is obviously an important strategic part of poker in the same way location is a huge factor in real estate development. Go back and read Daniel's blogs. I think you'll find that he's just as (if not more) interested in challenging himself and having fun playing as he is simply making money. I'd absoultely have something to say if he was blatantly exploiting people, but he's not. If that's how you view poker, it sounds far more like a personal problem and a lack of understanding than anything else.
i would comment but i might start to swear. not fitting for one of GODS true children. God bless you child!!

Evander Holyfield(And many other fighters) is a strict Christian, and he had to beat the living (bleep) out of his opponent for a living. Poker is a sin, but kicking somebody's *** is fine? :club:

Ok go and ask your local minister/priest what they think, I think you all know what they will say. We all want to defend poker, me included, we just need to be real sometimes.Also I don't care who you are, every single poker player I know wants to play against fish. I would not beleive anyone who told me otherwise unless they were just playing against their buddies in a home game maybe. Just look at the pros faces when Hellmuth turns up to play and there is your answer, yes DN aswell!

Daniel,I don't see how christianity fits in with gambling in anyway shape or form. I come from a religious family and so does my wife, but am not particularly religious myself. I could not however admit to playing poker as it goes against all christian principles and they would give me a hard time about it. I don't understand how you can play poker for a living and claim to lead a christian way of life?
You obviously are not a calvinist.
I dont want this to turn into a religious debate but here is half the bible. Now dont reply because that would mean we are debating which is what i didnt want to happen.
Half the bible? Just trying to answer a question from the previous post.
I don't care who you are...that's some funny stuff right there.
Ok go and ask your local minister/priest what they think, I think you all know what they will say. We all want to defend poker, me included, we just need to be real sometimes.Also I don't care who you are, every single poker player I know wants to play against fish. I would not beleive anyone who told me otherwise unless they were just playing against their buddies in a home game maybe. Just look at the pros faces when Hellmuth turns up to play and there is your answer, yes DN aswell!
Fantastic job completely ignoring everything I said. I'm pretty sure I addressed this. Your knowledge of the Bible is lacking, and you don't know near as much about Daniel as you seem to think. He's addressed this topic on numerous occassions himself - feel free to hit up the search feature.
I'll mention it the next time we are playing poker together. I go to a non-denominational Bible church in the western suburbs if Chicago and have played poker with Elders from the church - Men chosen by the congregation to lead the church. It is a game. Money changes hands. Let's say, instead of playing poker where 5 of us lost $30 and 5 of us won $30, we all went out to dinner and 5 people paid? Would that be wrong? Spending the same amount of money. OK, instead let say for fun we all went out and played credit card roullete and the loser bought for eveyone? Is that wrong? Maybe someone tells me they will give me $10 if I can frisbee a piece of bread into a trash can and I make it. Am I wrong to accept the $10?So I am confused though by your argument. Do you believe this to be true, or do you think Christians should believe it?
I'll mention it the next time we are playing poker together. I go to a non-denominational Bible church in the western suburbs if Chicago and have played poker with Elders from the church - Men chosen by the congregation to lead the church. It is a game. Money changes hands. Let's say, instead of playing poker where 5 of us lost $30 and 5 of us won $30, we all went out to dinner and 5 people paid? Would that be wrong? Spending the same amount of money. OK, instead let say for fun we all went out and played credit card roullete and the loser bought for eveyone? Is that wrong? Maybe someone tells me they will give me $10 if I can frisbee a piece of bread into a trash can and I make it. Am I wrong to accept the $10?So I am confused though by your argument. Do you believe this to be true, or do you think Christians should believe it?
Christ is called the Bread of Life, and you just frisbee Him into the trash for a $10 bet and we are suppose to let that go????? :club: Not on my watch mister
Christ is called the Bread of Life, and you just frisbee Him into the trash for a $10 bet and we are suppose to let that go????? :club: Not on my watch mister
John 19:23,24 After the soldiers had crucified Jesus; they took his clothes and divided them in to four parts, one part for each soldier. They also took the robe, which was made of one piece of woven cloth without any seams in it. The soldiers said to one another, “Let’s not tear it; let’s throw dice to see who will get it. “ It's not your watch mister! Christ gave his forgiveness long before they threw those dice. Understanding this is what Christ is all about.