If You Could Own 5 Retro Arcade Stand-ups, What Would They Be?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Galaga2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles3. Elvira Pinball machine4. Street Fighter II5. Revolution XI think that pretty much covers all the bases. A good Pinball game, a good gun game a classic game, a one on one fighting game, and a good epic game.

I've got a few of them....My favorite is Outrun, Super Cobra, Galaga, and Ms Pac ManYou can find them pretty cheap on ebay once in a while, but the maintence on the older models can be a pain. It seems like there is always some little (or big) problem with them.Monitors need cap kits, transformers get weak, buttons, joysticks, and coin mechanisms wear out, and the 20+ year old wiring harnesses and connectors gets weak.These things were quickly mass produced during the boom, so "cold" solder joints on the boards are a big problem for most. When I but a "new" machine, I do a complete solder re-flow on the boards, re-capp the monitor (or buy a new one), and make sure that a "suicide" battery isnt installed. These were placed on the boards to retain the high-score memory if it was unplugged, and they will get old and leak acid on the chips and destroy them. I just remove them, but a cap can be soldered between the leads to retain the memory for a while. Thats the reason George couldnt unplug his Frogger machine to cross the street.Pinball machines are one of the reasons I started drinking so heavily.... they are the biggest nighmares. Never, never, never, never,never buy a Gottleib Black Hole or Haunted House machine...I've never been able to keep both of them working at the same time.

Here's a different type game that I liked back in the day...[image of Qix game]
I ruled at this game, definitely my favorite of the time.My other 4:Crazy ClimberGalaxiansJoustand probably Pac-Man, although there are others that I'd switch in.Does anyone remember a game with concentric rings around an eneny spaceship. Each ring was made of short segments, and when you shot the segment, it disappeared for a while. Each layer of rings rotated in the opposite direciton. The goal was to shoot through the rings to the enemy ship. Of course when the enemy had a clear shot at you they launched a giant fireball..... and these little mosquito things chased you around so you couldn't stand still. Anyone remember what that was called?

I would have to get the 6-player X-Men game.....probably my favorite arcade game of all-time. The most important thing is to make sure you're not the last one there who gets stuck playing as Dazzler.The Simpsons arcade game is also clutch. Same with TMNT.Some kind of driving game is essential - not really sure what to pick. Also have to get some kind of shooting game, but not sure what.

I would have to get the 6-player X-Men game.....probably my favorite arcade game of all-time. The most important thing is to make sure you're not the last one there who gets stuck playing as Dazzler.The Simpsons arcade game is also clutch. Same with TMNT.Some kind of driving game is essential - not really sure what to pick. Also have to get some kind of shooting game, but not sure what.
OMFG. Totally forgot about X-Men. That game was sick. Okay taking Contra off my list and replacing it with X-Men.

Ivan Stewarts Off RoadSimpsonsMortal KombatPac-man/Galaga anniversary machine (2 for 1)NBA Jam/NFL Blitz (2 for 1)Arch Rivals was pretty good too...along with Double Dragon.

I found the one I was trying to remember: StarCastleI don't remember it looking this bad..... I'd be interested in playing it now and seeing how it has changed in my memory through the years.

If I could only pick 5 "retro" games I think they'd have to be....Pacman/Galaga (2 for 1 weeee)NBA JamSmash TVDragon's LairTrack and FieldI would also want to includeJoustBump-n-JumpGolden Tee (I know its not Retro)

HmmmOperation: WolfRampage: World TourSuper Off RoadTerminator Pinballand a Neo-geo with the following games - Bust-a-move, Metal slug 1, and metal slug 2

Anyone remember that 3-D game where you played as the time traveling cowboy?
I remember that game. More than a 3-D game, it was a hologram game. It was called "Time Traveller."4421_1.png4421_3.pngIt was cool to look at, but wasn't much fun to play.
I remember that game. More than a 3-D game, it was a hologram game. It was called "Time Traveller."It was cool to look at, but wasn't much fun to play.
Thank you! I couldn't remember what it was called.....you're right, not fun to play, plus it cost a then-obscene 75 cents to play when it came out.
I found the one I was trying to remember: StarCastleI don't remember it looking this bad..... I'd be interested in playing it now and seeing how it has changed in my memory through the years.
That was cool, I loved that one! Never would have remembered the name either; thanks!
That was cool, I loved that one! Never would have remembered the name either; thanks!
Now that I think about it, even for the time I thought the graphics had one hokey thing -- the line segments on the screen were all the same color; they just created different colors by tinting the glass over the screen, since you couldn't enter the circles in the middle and the stuff in the middle didn't come out. High tech, baby!
Going to put a few retro stand-ups in my game room (thank you steaming donk at 5/10 NLHE!)5) Karate Champ (I dressed up as the Judge from this game one Halloween)
I have the arcade upright of Karate Champ in my garage right now. I hate that fucking game. Stupid ass bull keeps charges at me and knocking me down every time.I practice and practice, yet every time I play, I end up somehow turning around and facing the wrong way and get my ass kicked by my opponents.Im not cut out for arcade games, obv.Now SkiBall.. thats a game I can handle, lol.
5. Revolution X
That is an awesome game. It's probably like my #1 or #2 pick after I get the real "retro" bases covered. I cannot even count how many quarters I pumped into that damn thing.The bummer with Rev-X is it sufferers from a similar problem as Cabal with the rollers.The UZI's break really easily due to the way the vibrating mechanism is built. Once the vibrate mechanism goes inside the gun (which they always do given enough time), you can't replace just the broken part, so the whole gun becomes useless and they're next to impossible to find as a replacement part. When I was just out of high school, I worked at a bowling alley with a Rev-X. The video game guy said that they were a real PITA to keep running and told me the above. Still- great game, high on my list to obtain.