Paul Shirley Chat

Anthony Chicago Illinois: Are there any advantages to playing over in Europe as opposed to the NBA? Paul Shirley: 1. Good wine is cheaper here. 2. I actually get to play. 3. I constantly get to see uncircumcised dudes in the shower.He's the nuts. He did an ESPN chat today, can anyone post the transcript?Thanks!Mark

Anthony Chicago Illinois: Are there any advantages to playing over in Europe as opposed to the NBA? Paul Shirley: 1. Good wine is cheaper here. 2. I actually get to play. 3. I constantly get to see uncircumcised dudes in the shower.He's the nuts. He did an ESPN chat today, can anyone post the transcript?Thanks!Mark
Here you go, just let me know whenever you want to check something out on ESPN Insider.Welcome to The Show! On Monday, basketball veteran Paul Shirley, who wrote a regular ESPN.com diary, "My So-Called Career" last summer, will be by to chat about his new book and anything else on your mind.Shirley's ''Can I Keep My Jersey?'' will be released May 15 by Random House.In his chats, Shirley hits on all subjects, from sports to music. You want to know what he's listening to while chatting? Ask him and he'll tell you.Now with a new team in Spain, Shirley has played for 13 pro basketball teams, including three NBA teams -- the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks and Phoenix Suns. He has also played in Greece, Spain and Russia, and has spent time in both the CBA and ABA.Send your questions now and join Paul in The Show on Monday at 3 p.m. ET!Shirley Archive: Chats | ColumnsSportsNation Paul Shirley: Since I'm not in the US, I got to my computer a little early to make sure everything would work. Lo and behold, I found a whole bunch of intelligent, well-thought-out questions. It seems I need to leave the country so the smart people will show up to my chats. Have patience, I'll try to plow through as many as I can....If I start using three-syllable sentences, it's only because I'm forgetting how to use the English language properly while here.Anthony Chicago Illinois: Are there any advantages to playing over in Europe as opposed to the NBA?SportsNation Paul Shirley: 1. Good wine is cheaper here. 2. I actually get to play. 3. I constantly get to see uncircumcised dudes in the shower.Mike (Yonkers, NY): What would you say is the biggest difference between locker room culture in the NBA and in Spain?SportsNation Paul Shirley: See above.CARLOS PHOENIX: how much spanish do you actually speak and does that help or hinder your chances with the girls in Spain?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I was surprised at how rusty my Spanish knowledge was. (I played in Barcelona a few years ago and got to be pretty good.) I'm on the level of, oh, a 6-year-old. And in Spain, that is not a good thing. Whereas in other countries, they found my ignorance "charming" or "cute", here they find it worthy of utter disdain.Chad Hurley, Troy Ohio: Is there good money in playing over seas? A lot of US players play in the league but you never hear about contracts like you do in the states.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Actually, it's part of the Peace Corps. I get paid only in rope sandals and shampoo.SportsNation Paul Shirley: No, the money is good, or no one would come over. When I played in Russia, we had a player making 1.2 million for the year, and another making 1.5. I was not either player. In Spain, the money isn't quite as outlandish, but is consistently respectable.Dylan (Tallahassee, Fl): Out of the three international leagues you've played in, which would you say is the most competitive - the Greek, Spanish, or Russian league?SportsNation Paul Shirley: From top to bottom, Spain is the best league, and has been for the last five years or so. The top teams in Russia, Greece and Italy are sometimes better than the top teams here, but Spain is the best overall.Chris (Detroit): Hey Paul - is your keyboard in a different language?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Fortunately, my laptop did not morph while crossing the Atlantic with me.Bob (Wichita): I've gotta point something out from your last column: "I had forgotten what it's like to play well while being cheered to victory by several thousand fans." What about the crowd after you nail rift after rift on Guitar Hero II? That my friend is orgasmic and it pains me to hear how low this rates on your depth chart.SportsNation Paul Shirley: (No response.)Ignorant American: Hey Paul, just wonderin if you are gettin any good quesodillas and enchiladas over there.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yesterday, while we were travelling home from a game, I saw two guys in the Barcelona airport who were both wearing gigantic sombreros. I have a feeling they weren't doing it to be ironic.al weehawken: ok, so, Paul, listen up. so there I was: having a conversation with my friend, Wes..for purposes of this posting we'll call him Wes, and I was like, "Why give Brian Scalabrine all that money when you could have Paul Shirley for considerably less and for the same and maybe more production?" so he goes into this rant that Shirley couldn't hold Scalabrine's jock strap..so here I am, a grown man of 32, at a Hooters, creepily oggling 18 and 19 year old waitresses whom everytime they are nice to me my idiot brain goes "hey, she may want me" when they clearly do not, defending a man I've never met before, and seen play only a couple of times when he was in college and although watched some Phoenix games with the ugliest man alive, Shawn Marion, but never saw him play, passionately defending him against Brian Scalabrine...so my questions are this: A. Why am I so pathetic? and B. please tell me you can handle Brian Scalabrine?! Please tell me you're better than Ronald McDonald without the face paint. Paul, my life isn't...it isn't good..I need this..you'll understand someday.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I would be more than willing to play him one-on-one for his job.Chris (Arlington, VA): What percentage of your new team/league is composed of American players?SportsNation Paul Shirley: We have:....2 Americans, 3 Serbo-Croats, 1 Bulgarian, 1 Peruvian, and 4 Spaniards. Clarity in communication fluctuates between shaky and abysmal.Chris (Houston, TX): Do the European basketball leagues get anywhere near the coverage of the soccer leagues there? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Soccer is always number one, but basketball is a solid two. Here in Menorca, we're the only show in town, so the populous pays attention to hoops.Chris (Detroit): I am assuming you have played in more than one game in the last week - any orgasmic updates?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Actually, we pulled off a huge win in Malaga, against a team called Unicaja which just qualified for the Euroleague Final Four. Road win, in OT: not bad for the doormat of the ACB.Neel (Urbana, IL): Is there a promotion/relegation system or are teams locked into their respective leagues?SportsNation Paul Shirley: For an answer:Nic (Dallas, TX): I like how the Spanish basketball system moves the two teams with the worst record in the premiere ACB league down to the the lower LEB league and the two teams with the best records in the LEB move up to the ACB. Any chance a similar two-tiered concept might work in the NBA?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I think such a system, along with a shortened schedule, would be the best thing to happen to the NBA. Imagine if the Hawks and Grizzlies were fighting to stay out of the CBA. And if the Rockford Lightning were in the NBA next year.Chris (Cheyenne, WY): Paul- my name is not chris. Its in fact reynaldo. after posting my question for the third time and noticed your high percentage for answering questions from chris's, i changed it. so now you shall be able to answer my question. I kicked tail with you on season after season on NBA video games. You were a scoring and triple double machine. You were fun to play with because nobody expected it and you were the lowest rated player on the game. Have you ever enjoyed whooping you know what on video games as yourself as well?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I will answer only because you are so dedicated to this chat...I've not played a decent basketball video game since NBA Jam. (Or it's N64 equivalent: NBA Hangtime.) If I could somehow end up on a modified version of NBA Jam (or Hangtime), I would never stop playing it.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Speaking of bizarre, post-modern occurrences, one of my myspace friends brought to my attention today the fact that one can buy my "game-used" warm-ups and game shorts from the Timberwolves on ebay. Sadly, I was not involved in this extortionary scheme. Not that I would have made any money--I think they were stalled out at 9.95. The auction was supposed to end soon after I looked, so they may not still be there.David Vespie, Knoxville, TN: Paul-- I love reading the blog on ESPN.com, however I noticed in one blog that you wrote that only 12 people are members of ESPN.com "Insider". Any chance that you can get ESPN.com to put your blog out so that people who are too cheap to subscribe to 'insider' can read what you've been up to? Or, will you post your blogs on your Myspace page? Thanks-- David in Knoxville, Tennessee.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Sorry about that. I've been toying with the idea of starting a website that would give updates and would contain most of my archives. But I haven't gotten to it yet. I need a good web design person b/c I'm entirely too dumb to do it myself.Adam Atchison KS: Saw you play in high school. Honestly, we all hated you because you were tall. My question is, why is Jeff West always taller than Maur Hill?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Four Shirley brothers at 6'5 or better had something to do with that. That and the Miracle-Gro coating our tostito surprise at lunch.Dave (chicago IL): are those natural curls?SportsNation Paul Shirley: This question seems to come up a lot. Is it possible to create my hairstyle in an unnatural way? I need to understand this. Why would I curl my hair? (So yes, even though I can't imagine why you're asking.)Matt (STL): A chat with you last year turned me onto Stellastarr* and the taaaasty Amanda Tannen and (I think Sugarcult) , both of which are getting huge rotation on my iPod. What should I download next? What are you listening to?SportsNation Paul Shirley: At present, I'm listening to the latest Explosions in the Sky album. Right before I left, I picked up the latest Modest Mouse. Fantastic.Ryan: (Burkburnett, TX): Paul, You said in your last column that you did not like the college game. What specifically don't you like about the college game and what makes the pro game so much better.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Imagine, if you will, a scenario wherein 370 institutions recruited the 12 best-looking girls they could conceivably talk into spending four years under their care. You'd have a group of several thousand really attractive girls, right? Now imagine that each year, another group of people (we'll call it a "league", for the sake of argument) drafted only a select few of that group each year, and added those few to rosters that were already chock-full of the best-looking girls in the world. You'd take a girl from the 12*370 group, but you'd probably rather have one from the latter, right?Tiny (Boston, MA): are you planning on doing a book tour?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I actually emailed my publicist at Random House (groan: pretentious) about that today. The answer was no. Apparently they rarely do such a thing for first-time authors. My thought response was, "Well I'm not just any first-time author." But my narcissism didn't change her mind. Via ESP. Supposedly, I'll be doing some signings in Kansas City, and possibly in Iowa.Courtney (Cleveland): You basically just compared the NBA to the Miss Universe contest. Are you sticking with that analogy?SportsNation Paul Shirley: It took about 12 minutes to type, so I have to.Susan: Do we have to say your awesome in order for our quetions to get answered?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes.Slone (Goleta, Ca): Paul, What country that you have played in has the most beautiful women?SportsNation Paul Shirley: This seems to be a popular question. Russia, by far.Jeff Glastonbury, CT: Any thoughts on the new Arcade Fire album?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Very good, although it will take at least 6 more listens before I can place it in my all-time preference list.Ted, The SLC: Paul, I got an early "for review only" copy of your book and have been enjoying it so far (I'm up to Year 2). I just wondered if you kept in touch with Alex Jensen from Sun Kings days. I had a chance to meet him and thought he was a pretty cool guy.SportsNation Paul Shirley: (Love positive, book-related feeback.) Alex and I have stayed in touch--great guy. He's in Turkey, playing for a team called...something I can't spell.Matt (Grand Rapids): I was a high school senior and big Michigan State fan when you played them in the tournament. Me and my friends spent many drunk nights making fun of you for crying like a little girl on the sidelines. Whenever we ran out of beer we would start mock crying. Now I like reading your blog and will get your book when it comes out. It is a little awkward for me.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I suppose that's where not taking yourself too seriously wins out. Either that or I'm a sissy.William TN: I know you have answered this question before, but it has always interested me. In proffesional sports, do they pay bi-weekly like they do at most jobs? If so, someone like KG or Shaq would get seven figures credited to their account every other week? Thanks Paul and keep up the good work.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I was discussing this with a teammate just yesterday. The answer is yes. And, salaries are paid out only over the course of the season. So, for example, Shawn Marion has 13 pay periods. His salary is something like 14.5. So his gross pay, every two weeks, is 1 million plus.Eric (Toronto): Wait, so Tucker Max could organize a book tour, and as I recall offered to help you with yours, but your too lazy to do it? Screw waiting for Random House. Do the bleeping tour! (Also, who you have coming out of the east?)SportsNation Paul Shirley: I don't remember the offer, but if you say so....Maybe we should do one together. Actually, my agent and I are kicking around the idea of doing a dual-tour sometime in the early fall. We'll see. The problem is that selling four books in Tacoma, WA is not worth the $500 I/we would spend in getting there.Phil (Utah): Going back to the 'girl' scenario. I love college 'girls' and only watch the ?League of Girls? (LOG) come playoff time. Why?, because the college ?girls? love the game and they are all, theoretically, trying to perform to get into the LOG. The college ?girls? try harder and it is more competitive, they have everything to play for to make it to the LOG. My question AND point, is this; When was the last time you cried after a LOG game? Because when I watch girls I want passion and desire to win, not just the playoffs. (I do agree that the ?girls? are exploited and not rewarded for their efforts in the Billion dollar industry of college ?girls? and I have confused myself with the girl and LOG analogy so I hope you understand what I meant)SportsNation Paul Shirley: That was extraordinarily difficult to read. I will persevere all the same...Two things: I've never been a year-long starter on an NBA team, so I can't speak to how much I would care. I have played a significant role in a few games (with Chicago) and remember that I cared quite a lot. However, age and experience brings about the knowledge that there will be a next year. And while that knowledge means that fewer players cry, it doesn't necessarily mean that fewer players care.Rick (Phoenix): Paul, not to be a smart alec, but do you actually talk NBA basketball in these basketball chats? For example, Id like to know your thoughts on Kobe Bryant. I cannot believe his amazing scoring ability - Ive never seen some of the things this guy does from all over the court. I think it merits some conversation in this chat.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes, Kobe's really good. End of discussion on that subject.Pablo ((Indianapolis)): Is it just me or are the women in Spain built differently (wider thighs, bigger behinds)That may not be such a good attribute at times.)SportsNation Paul Shirley: I couldn't have said it better myself. It's depressing.Joshua Jipp: What authors have influenced you the most?SportsNation Paul Shirley: John Irving, Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, Tom Wolfe, Richard Russo, and Farley Mowat. (Extremely obscure reference.)Neil (Queens, NY): What material item or store do you miss most while playing overseas?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Do quality beds count? My apartment here is fairly nice, but the mattress is similar to one found in London in the 1830's. When we stayed in Malaga this weekend, we were put up in a really nice hotel--prob $150 Euro a night. My bed: a twin with no box springs and the hardest mattress I've experienced since Boy Scout camp.Jay (Jackson, MS): I would guess that most people would give anything to be a professional basketball player. Outsiders looking in see only the positives of playing a game for a living. What is the hardest part of being a professional basketball player?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Now that is one all-encompassing question.......Constant transience.Farley Mowat (Belleville, Ontario): Obscure reference? I'm one of Canada's most widely read authors? And to think, I used to be a fan of yours.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I do apologize. I did not realize. His star never shined quite as brightly in the US, except during my year of 4th grade, when I read "Lost in the Barrens."leamon (scottsdale): paul, speaking of books and authors, i think i read sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs by klosterman and a few sedaris books on your recommendations, anything else out right now along those lines?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I just read Alternadad by Neal Pollack. (In the interest of full disclosure, I did so because he and I are doing a back-and-forth for Slate.com during the play-offs.) Funny dude.Javier Gancedo, Spain: How did you find the Spanish League so far? Did it improve a lot since you last were around? I missed the chance to talk to you in Barcelona, so keep up the good work and hope you help ViveMenorca to stay in the ACB? Greetings from the Euroleague headquarters.SportsNation Paul Shirley: As always, the league here is nothing if not well-organized. My last overseas experience was in Russia, where I was lucky if they'd tell me when we were having practice the next day. Here, I have ViveMenorca shirts, pants, bags. It's refreshing.Rob (Chapel Hill, NC): Hey Paul, I get the "best of the best-looking girls" analogy for NCAA vs. NBA, but let's say that the best looking girls that are selected by this "league" have received all this attention their whole lives for being so good looking, to the point where they have overly inflated egos and refuse to cooperate and work with others. Really, they only care about themselves, and if you were to go on a date with one, you would be forced to endure hours of self-absorbant babble. On the other hand, you could date one of the "non-league" girls, some one who is still very attractive but at the same time interesting, caring, and funny. She works well with others. That sounds like a better deal now doesn't it?SportsNation Paul Shirley: You make a strong point, sir. However, what if you were only watching the date, and not participating in it? You'd probably want to see the hot ones, eh?damon schweinfurt germany: Paul trade in your sombrero and grab some Lederhosen we need some real talent on Bambergs Brose Baskets. Besides women in Germany really like american men that butcher Deutsch to pieces its a turn on or something and i know u have seen super troopers!!SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'm pretty sure my friend Casey Jacobsen is playing in Bamberg. Although there's a 35% chance I have the wrong -berg.Sam (Oklahoma City): Paul, do you keep in touch with any of your old college teammates, like Fizer or Tinsley or anyone?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Actually, Marcus is in Spain. We play his team the last game of the year. Hopefully he does not injure me....In other ISU news (again, obscure), we play my old teammate Martin Rancik on Thursday. And Jackson Vroman plays for a team on the Canary Islands, as well. Oh, and no, I don't stay in touch with Jamaal. We weren't close.Dennis, Honolulu: Please tell me your aren't knocking Spain! I have only spent about 7 months of my life there, but I think it is the greatest country in the world.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I never would. Barcelona is my favorite city in the world. However, never buy into the myths regarding good-looking Spanish women or good Spanish food.Washington, DC: That was a heck of a win for you guys yesterday. Is the local media getting psyched?SportsNation Paul Shirley: This is a person who pays attention to Spanish basketball. The locals were excited about the win. There was some applause at the Mahon airport last night. And I think there's some interest in the media--I noticed four pages in the local paper were devoted to the game. Of course I couldn't read it, but I could tell it was about us from the pictures.Please answer a short question (Chicago): What's the website for the Spanish league so we can all follow you there?SportsNation Paul Shirley: acb.comP (NYC): Can we get a Kobe story?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I hate to do this because it sounds so self-promoting but...the intro to my book contains a Kobe/Shaq story. So if nothing else, read the first 20 pages in a Borders somewhere.Paul (Cleveland, OH): What is the team chemistry like on the court, it sounds like you crossed the Atlantic to be thrust into a contributor role the next day. Do you guys have set plays, or does it amount to more of a free style make it up as we go type basketball?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Lots and lots of confusing set plays. There are times when I will spend the entire possession setting screens at impossible angles. It takes some getting (re)used to.Kris (Ohio): Is your book out? I'll get it right now. I live 2 minutes from Borders.SportsNation Paul Shirley: It's almost like I set this up...not til May 15. Incidentally, that is a change from the original date of April 24. Our last game here is May 13. Apparently, the powers that be at Random House think I might be better at promoting the book while in the US.Freddy (Philly): I'll read the book, I promise, but do you hate Shaq too?SportsNation Paul Shirley: One of the top-5 coolest human beings I've ever met.Mike (Daytona Beach): The European 3 second lane looks like some crazy-*** trapazoid. I mean, what's the deal?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I think it is a trapezoid. So good job on the ID. Although, technically, I believe the NBA league is a trapezoid as well.Spencer (Los Angeles, CA): How many games do you have left to escape relegation? And are you signed just for this season, or would you have to play for Menorca if relegated?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Five games left. I think we still need to make up two games. (Last two teams go down.) My contract runs only until the end of this season. I have often wondered, though, what happens if a guy has a long-term deal.Mike (DC): How do you think A Weekend in the City compares to Silent Alarm?SportsNation Paul Shirley: So far, not well. I'm hoping it will pick up with more listens, but it's not looking good.Olaf (Minnetonka, MN): I'm a regular myspace reader as well as everything you do on ESPN. This is the first I've heard of a book. You should really try to mention it in chats/blogs. You know, get the word out.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I think I put up a giant picture of the cover on my myspace page. Perhaps it needs to be bigger. (myspace.com/paulshirley. See, there, I'm capable.)Kyle (Dayton): In looking at your team's website, what does 2.08 alt. mean?SportsNation Paul Shirley: 2 meters, 8 centimeters. I feel like you could have put that together though, Kyle from Dayton. I have faith in your reasoning powers.Buddy (Seattle, WA): THAT's the picture you chose for your chat ID?SportsNation Paul Shirley: (Linking to ESPN now.) I don't pick the pictures.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Ah, it's not so bad. I look sort of...rugged. Or harried. Take your pick.Matt (san francisco, ca): FYI #1 - when teams get relegated, their players are still bound by their contracts. the better ones though can demand a trade (and always get it). FYI #2 - you are one point behind the 16th place team, which you need to get into to avoid relegation. FYI #3 - "A Weekend In The City" is about a "3.0" compared to "Silent Alarm"'s "9.0", and I'm 10 or 15 listens deeps.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Strong post.Ted, The SLC: Paul, the chat isn't even done yet and you've already been censored...your Kobe post has been removed from the chat. I'll always remember it though. Nice to see someone speak his mind about a superstar.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Fantastic. I wonder if it was the descriptor or the comment itself...Francisco (Atlanta, GA): With summer approaching, Menorca and the rest of the Balearics are going to be flooded by beautiful topless women from all over Europe. Thought you should know that before you come back once the season ends.SportsNation Paul Shirley: That's what I hear. Sadly, my time will be up just as the crush begins. Perhaps I should plan a vacation.Neal (NYC): What happened to the guy you replaced? Wasn't it Jelani McCoy, I seem to remember him being a big thing at UCLA.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I got to hang out with Jelani before he left the island. I'm sad we can't play on the same team--great guy. We were in training camp with the Lakers together, a long time ago. I appreciate his approach to life.Basketball Gods (Ethos): On the whole, have we been good to you?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes, very....I need to go eat supper now--it's 10:20 p.m. Thanks for reading, asking, berating, etc. Find me at myspace.com/paulshirley. Book is out May 15. Find it on amazon or Border's or some second-hand thrift store somewhere. I think you'll like it.
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's yesterday's chat...You're welcome.Shirley Archive: Chats | Columns Paul Shirley: Today, I come to you from the 18th floor of the Random House building on Broadway in New York. If, by the end of this chat, my book hasn't cracked the top 100 on amazon (#232 right now), my editor is going to throw me off the roof. With that as motivation, away we go... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Chad (Austin, TX): Paul, Do you think SA is a dirty team or is the media trying to inject some kind of tall tale here when it didn't need one in the first place? Paul Shirley: No, I think they're a boring team with one dirty player. Unfortunately, they're also really good. As to the media...I'm sure the NBA isn't disappointed by the attention the series has gotten because of the body check and the suspensions. (Note: Rules on this are similar to those minimum sentencing guidelines for possession of marijuana. Dumb, but once someone puts them on the books, it's tough to argue with "No exceptions will be made." The mistake is to put them on the books in the first place.) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dave: I'm curious if you got to play against Fran Vasquez while in Spain... the guy the Magic wasted their lottery pick on a few years ago. Also, I'm a guy that's getting tired of the same mainstream music, but don't have much time to explore for the lesser known stuff. Any suggestions on some must-have albums or bands to get me started? Thanks! Paul Shirley: I actually did see Sr. Vazquez in Spain. We played his team, FC Barcelona, in my first weekend in the country. First of all, that dude is odd-looking. (Giving thanks for being normally-proportioned.) Secondly, he's about the third-best post player on that team. But he is young. And his buyout is only like 6 zillion dollars. Kudos to some scout somewhere. Paul Shirley: Oh, the rest of the question: Do the Cold War Kids count? New Modest Mouse is great, same for new NIN...l still can't get over the latest from TV on the Radio. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ben (San Diego, CA): Paul, How instrumental do you think Bill Simmons' support has been in getting your so-called journalism career going? What other things really got you exposure and moving forward? By the way, I keep on seeing a Suns scrub that reminds me of you (tall, white, with fluffy hair). That, and the fact that the Suns are actually fun to watch, have me rooting for them. Paul Shirley: It was the match that started the, well, conflagration is the wrong word. How about...fitful little campfire? His mention of my Suns blog was a big reason any of this ever happened. Also, I'm carrying his baby. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Your Mom (At Home): Baby, I just read that article about those former WNBA basketball players in Russia, why not go there and make mommy some cabbage to pay me back some of that free room and board you owe? Paul Shirley: I started in on that article but then gave up when I realized it was 15,000 words long. Jim Caple painted a picture of an entirely different world than the one I encountered when I played in Russia. My memories include rampant grayness, stares of seething hatred from most of the people I encountered, and rotten lettuce in the grocery store. I don't think he made it to Kazan. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bob (Ames, IA): Is your book available at the local "Borders" bookstore or just on-line? What's the book business like in general? Paul Shirley: It is supposed to be. If it's not in stock, break someone's glasses. Paul Shirley: The book business is much more civilized than the television business, but less civilized than, say, Uganda. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kyle (Baton Rouge, LA): Yesterday I received an Amazon package that included: the new Bright Eyes, Nine Inch Nails, and Kings of Leon cds, and your book. Care to rate those four purchases in terms of how excited you would be? p.s. loving the book so far Paul Shirley: Since I've read it 9,000 times, the sight of the words I wrote makes me nauseous, so my book would have to be a distant fourth. But that's just me. Good mention of Kings of Leon. I'm excited about that one after becoming numb to them after the 2nd album. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Craig (PA): Please answer my current debate....Khan from star trek vs a tiger....no weapons, open area... Paul Shirley: Star trek dude. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jarric (Kansas): That book must have taken 10-15 years at the rate you type! Paul Shirley: That was deserved. Had a minor crisis. But all is well. I'll fire out speedy, half-assed answers now. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------blogreader (dc): Of all the places you've played (and sat) which locale's cheerleaders were most successful in getting opponents to lose focus during timeouts Paul Shirley: Dallas. That Cuban fellow knows what he's doing. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sam (Greenville, NC): So we all know that Bruce Bowen is dirty, but, honestly, would you play somewhat dirtier (even if not to the extent that he does) if you knew it could garauntee you a roster spot and some playing time over a long NBA career? Paul Shirley: If given $3 million with one condition--that you could drive only a garbage truck as your sole source of transportation, with no explanation, for the rest of your life--would you do it? Neither would I. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ted Milwaukee: Paul dom you think NBA teams would take your basketball career more seriously if you weren't doing the journalism side job. Paul Shirley: Probably. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Clint (Utah): Read the intro to your book and it got me interested, headin down to the B&N to get it, any other suggestions to pick up while there? Paul Shirley: While in Spain, I read Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo. It's a few years old, but it's fantastic. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cory (Pasadena, CA): Do you edit your player in the NBA console games? For instance in NBA 2k5 you were the lowest rated player in the game. Also, are the NBA refs really that bad or are fans just too judgemental? Paul Shirley: Since NBA Jam (Hangtime for N64), basketball video games are dead to me. But I had heard that news. I suppose it's better than being second-to-worst...As to refs, I think all officiating seems terrible now that we're equipped with so many after-the-fact tools. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Terence (Raleigh, NC): Hey Paul, what can a young basketball player(19) who only played Highschool ball do to get into a pro league overseas... is it possible in your mind? Thanks Paul Shirley: They have these things called colleges. I would check out one of those. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tim (St. Paul MN): Paul, I love your stuff and will likely buy your book, but you pretty much think you are more intelligent than everyone else in the world, don't you? I guess it's working for you! Paul Shirley: That would probably be one of my weaknesses. I will say this: the guy who wrote my intro, Chuck Klosterman, is much, much smarter than me. It's intimidating just to be in the same room as him. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jake (Boston): Why are you in NYC? Don't you have filthy Spaniards to guard and gorgeous Spanish women to ogle? Paul Shirley: I just arrived two nights ago. The game described in one of the columns today was the last of the season. Random House was kind enough to move back the release date to the 15th, so I got here just in time to whore myself out on its behalf. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bill (St. Paul, MN): I know you are well short of the 3 year vesting for the NBA pension, is there any partial vesting or benefit to the players that don't make it a full 3 years? Also, any thoughts on Randy Livingston and his journey as a basketball vagabond? Paul Shirley: I don't think so. I have about 190 games to go before I'm eligible. Seems insurmountable at this point. Guess I'll have to get a savings bond...Randy Livingston: great guy. We worked (?) together on the movie Glory Road. He's on the Iowa team as well. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------valerie: jesus and mary chain has been the most influential band in my life, who has been that group for you? Paul Shirley: Influential makes that an interesting question. I was just discussing them at lunch, so maybe they're just fresh in my mind, but I'll go with U2. For a long time, they were my absolute favorites. Now I loathe them because they stopped taking chances and became a parody of themselves. Many lessons in that career arc. So, while I'm not sure I even like them anymore, they win for most influential. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Brendan (San Diego): When I read Chuck Klosterman - I like to drink whiskey ... what type of liquor will enhance to reading of 'Can I Keep My Jersey?' Paul Shirley: Since the beginning is the roughest part, I'd say...4 shots of tequila, followed by some coffee. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------C.A.B. (Seattle, WA): I'll win American Idol next year with these lyrics, you just watch me dude: ...Someone took a dump in my cabinet, someone took a dump on my chair, someone took a dump on my keyboard, and now I've got dump in my hair. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------John (LA): Paul, how is the one single lady that lives in Menorca treating you? Seriously, you're a single man and a (semi-) professional athlete. Do you need me to import a cute bachelorette for you? Paul Shirley: Yes. Please help me. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Charlie (Pasadena CA): How's the ankle? And thanks for the Jamie T. Paul Shirley: Yeah, how about that song? (Referring to Sheila by Jamie T) It's really great. Ankle is terrible, actually. I have it propped up on the desk, with my walking boot finally removed. I've got crutches, I have to tape it every morning to keep the swelling down...it's a real joy. But thanks for asking. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alex Ballentine (OH): Paul, on behalf of everyone participating in this chat, and sports fans around the world, I just want to take this time to thank you. Paul, for years you were always known as the funniest man in the NBA. Anyone who can make NBA players laugh on a consistent basis is truly an icon. Also, Paul, you take time out for the fans. Even as a player, you may have not been Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan, or even DeSagana Diop, but you were Paul Shirley, a funny guy who puts smiles on peoples face, especially mine. Your articles relate to the fans, and are always good for a few laughs. Someday, I aspire to be a sports writer, and if I make it big, I will thank you for my inspiration. Paul, you are my inspiration, my hero, role model, and personal icon, but you're more than that. You are the same to society. A man who puts others before himself. Thank you, Paul Shirley. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks again. Paul Shirley: Even if that was sarcastic, and even if it was tremendously self-serving for me to post that, I had to do it, if only to make people realize just how far flattery takes a person. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gray (Birmingham, AL): What NBA city is the worst in the league? Not in terms fan support, but as in when you realize you're going to city "X" you say, "Crap. That place sucks." Paul Shirley: Sacramento. It's the Topeka of the West. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jon (Winnipeg): Amazon just updated -- you're at #203 now. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------A.J. (New York City): Whenever there are chats on ESPN.com, I find myself forgoing work for at least an hour and a half or more. Would you consider daytime on-line chats constructive? Do you think that right now, there are thousands of jobs being produced in such a half assed manner as to completely change the economic structure and could have a ripple effect in the future for years to come? Paul Shirley: If nothing else, this is the legacy that Bill S, Chad Ford, Marc Stein and I will leave--that we helped grind to a crawl the output of the cubicled. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dan (Sacramento): I was considering buying your book until you insulted my city. Paul Shirley: Then move. Think about it: you get to buy my book without feeling shameful, and you don't have to live in Sacramento anymore. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Aaron: Baltimore,Md: I got your email the other day, thanks for writing. Have you kept a jersey from every place you've been. Do you have to turn them in, what's the deal. You could make some cash if you sold them, heck, i'd even buy some. Paul Shirley: I have one from everywhere except Yakima and the Lakers. The dude with LA--who everyone except me seems to love--said, "We're not a club that does that." --------------------------------------------------------------------------------batman: could you take mark madsen one on one and beat him in a game to 21 Paul Shirley: If I couldn't, I would quit basketball. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Max, Gainesville, FL: What has been the worst on-court moment in your brief NBA career? Anybody posterize you? grab your sac? etc. Paul Shirley: At the time, when I worried about these things more, it was when Shareef Abdur-Rahim dunked on me and cut my chin with his elbow in the process. The trail of blood down the court served as a reminder of my failure as a basketball player. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Teddy (Omaha): Paul, I'm buying your book tonight. I've got to support my fellow Iowa State Engineering grads. I know you love basketball, but mechanicl engineer is a good job for most of the general population. Do you ever think about putting that degree to use?? Paul Shirley: I suppose it's an okay job, but putting a ball in a hoop for money seems a little more attractive. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jim (Madrid, Spain): I'm living in Spain right now and having a fun time reading about your adventures in Spain. I got a kick out of your most recent comments about the majority of the women looking like a fat faced Tony Parker. I had the same misconception as you before getting here and am also finding out the hard way. I've found that french women are signficantly more attractive than the spanish. Did you get a chance to travel around Europe, outside of Spain, at all while you were over here? So heres the important question.... which country has the best women?? Paul Shirley: The answer remains Russia. With honorable mention to the Czech Republic, Holland, and any of the former Yugos except Macedonia. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ethan (Dallas, TX): What do you consider the highlight of "(your) so-called career?" Paul Shirley: While the first basket seems more vivid, the sheer jubilation of escaping the CBA for my first-ever call-up to the NBA is hard to beat. I think I smiled for three straight days. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jason (Des Moines, IA): Every year in March for the past 5 years, we've been subjected to dramatic montages that invariably show a clip of that Hampton coach taking part in one of the most awkward victory celebrations recorded this side of the Special Olympics. It's desensitized some of us Cyclone fans to the point that we're finally willing to talk about that fateful day. I think you should be the one to finally clear the air and explain to us: WHY?? Paul Shirley: He's referring to our becoming the 4th number 2 seed to ever lose in the first round....Honestly, most of my teammates didn't care anymore. It was sad to see--I had looked forward to such a moment all my life. I was a starter on a top 10 college basketball team in the NCAA tournament. But some of us were ready to move on. It was one of the most disappointing times of my life. Paul Shirley: And now I will hang myself. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Paul (Portland, OR): Paul, I don't know who that Alex Ballentine is, but he's been kissing up to chatters for the last week. Just last week he posted verbatim the exact same compliment to Stuart Scott as he did to Skip Bayless, who both had chats going on at the same time. Not sure what his deal is. Paul Shirley: Dammit. I knew it was too good to be true. This computer is probably going to explode now. They'll take it out of my advance, I just know it... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ethan (Pittsburgh, PA): I'm sitting at work reading your journals thinking to myself "You know what, I should go out and buy Paul's book tonight" Then I read the journal about the dirty player. Stinky McStinkerton? Come on Paul, you're better than that... Paul Shirley: Really? No likey? Maybe it's funny because it's an inside joke with my brothers. You can do it with almost any derogatory word. As long as it has fewer than three syllables. Obsequious McObsequiousnesston doesn't really work. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Robbie: Regina: In your time in basketball, who was the most impressive athlete you've seen play and if you had one game to win would you rather have Baron Davis leading your team or Steve Nash? Paul Shirley: Most impressive athlete: Eddie Robinson. Nash, 100 out of 100 times. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Clayton, Huntington Beach: Seriously. High-five on the follow-up dis to Sacramento. I'm now buying a copy of your book. Paul Shirley: Does anyone else feel that after all this time, the one character that remains funny on Scrubs is The Todd? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Carl (Lansing, MI): Do you play any video games? I am going to get a Ninetendo Wii tonight. I think it will bring me happiness...nothing else in life does. Paul Shirley: That was the fastest anyone's gone from uplifting to utterly despondent. Three simple lines. Wow. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bill (Tampa, FL): Not sure if you and your brothers enjoy this one, but do you ever use "That's what she said"? Paul Shirley: And it's counterpart, "So is your face." --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Victor (Ann Arbor, MI): When playing pick-up ball at the park, I hate it when another player gives me coach-like instructions. Is it generally considered annoying having a teammate remind you to box out or whatever? Do certain players get away with it becuase they're "leaders"? Paul Shirley: Those are the same dudes who give advice in the weight room. On the court, a guy can get away with those fishwife reminders about once every four games. More than that and his last name gets replaced with the coach's in conversation. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kyle (Phoenix, AZ): It sure does seem like teams are full of chumps. The Suns only run like 8 deep. Is there a huge difference in talent/chemistry between "players" and bench warmers in the NBA? Either way, Shouldn't you club Pat Burke's knees or something and get a spot back on that bench? Better yet, smack some in Dallas so you can have the hotter cheerleaders to keep you company. Paul Shirley: Pat Burke is a really, really good basketball player. People forget, but when players at his level--like Nachbar and Hermann--are given a chance, they can almost always play. I'm sure Matt Barnes was ridiculed for a long time; he played in the ABA when I was there. It doesn't make sense, though, to play those guys when a team has invested $15 million in someone else. That's not to say that Pat Burke is better than Amare Stoudemire. But he's certainly not 1/15th as good. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------diego: the todd remains funny because of his small doses-- cyber high five! Paul Shirley: Good point. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Aaron PHX: Wait, you WALKED-ON at ISU? So to recap small town kid walks on at a Big Time College Basketball Program (at the time), becomes a starter, makes a great living playing the game, fulfills every 6 year old's dream of playing in the NBA, parlays a website blog while being in the NBA into a pilot and a book. Where and when did you sell your soul to the devil? Where can I sign up? Paul Shirley: When you put it like that, you're right--I probably should be bathing in goat blood every night. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Shaun (Madison WI): What are the advantages to paying $20 for the book when I get it at the library for free? Paul Shirley: You can take it in the bathroom without feeling guilty. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Isaac (Hell): I've got a crush on my secretary. It won't work for tons of reasons. I'm in hell. Thanks for listening. Paul Shirley: Come on. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, quit your job. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------James (Palo Alto): How hot is Sue Bird, really? Paul Shirley: By comparison with her surroundings, super-model level. But put her on the streets of NY, I'm not sure. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Zak (Poughkeepsie, NY): Should you really be going into detail about the state of your ankle, when quite obviously your entire internet (and now novel) writing career has gotten you shunned from permanent b-ball work? In fact, I like you so much I'm going to tell you to stop chatting and save yourself, young man. Paul Shirley: Everybody sprains an ankle now and then. And this isn't 1970's East Germany, people are going to find out eventually. Might as well make fun of it first. For example, right now the toes on my left foot look like not-so-tiny purple sausages. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------BJ (Salt Lake City): I want to read some Palahniuk. Which one do you recommend I start with? Also, any music recommendations for a good Decemberists-type band? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Brendan (Buffalo, NY): Assuming the Pat Burke question quota hasn't been yet exceeded, am I nuts for thinking he constantly has the grumpy Irish brawler expression on his face? Even when he's high-fiving people after a whistle, it seems like he's ready to break a bottle over someone's head? Thoughts? Paul Shirley: Was this written before or after you heard that he's the first NBA player to have been born in Ireland? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jacob (Mallorca): Hi Paul. I live in Mallorca. The girls here are great (no unibrows). You must get over here some time! Paul Shirley: Wrong island. Damn. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lloyd (Fairfield, CT): You've mentioned elsewhere that Robert Horry is a good guy. I'm willing to entertain this notion if you'd be willing to expound on that a little. Paul Shirley: When I went to camp with the Lakers, I was really impressed by Brian Shaw, Mitch Richmond, Rick Fox and Horry. They were like the kindly uncles at a family barbecue. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Brian (Bay Area): Besides basketball, What is your best sport? Paul Shirley: Is Guitar Hero a sport? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Clinton (Indianapolis): Paul, what is the general reaction abroad when people find out you're American? Paul Shirley: It's never been positive. Thank you GWB. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jeff (Dallas, TX): Favorite Giutar Hero song? Paul Shirley: The one by The Slip on the first game. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kobe (LA): Shaw, Richmond, Fox and Horry were the kindly uncles living at their brothers' mansion, driving his cars, hanging with his women, with the sole responsibility of taking out the garbage a few nights a week. I'd be happy and gregarious as well ... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Carl (Lansing, MI): If you could do a guest spot on any show, what would it be? My guess is The Office but a co-worker guessed The Simpsons. Paul Shirley: South Park. I saw a bunch of South Park while in Spain; I'm always amazed at just how good that show is. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Peejay: Tallahassee, Florida: Basketball is just a sport. I love it, and I play it whenever I can, but in the end it's just a game. Does it ever strike you as ridiculous that you and others at your talent level get paid to play something you would probably play for free? It's not seen as strange because the amount of pay is consistent throughout all entertainment fields in our culture, but it's unsettling when compared to the amount of money that people inolved in academics make. I pose this question to you because you're thoughtful and well-spoken enough to field it. I feel like you are smart enough to detach yourself from the situtation to realize how the exorbitant pay scale that NBA players receive speaks volumes about the kind of culture we are, and who we choose to celebrate. We love to be entertained, just don't make us think. Paul Shirley: Of course it's ridiculous. But it's also capitalism in its purest form. People are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money to watch sports, so we get paid exorbitant amounts to play them. (Or, for me, semi-exorbitant.) But there aren't many people who can do the job. It's sad, because teachers, for example, certainly contribute more to the greater good, but the talent pool of available teaching candidates is much more vast than that of available bball players. Unfotunately, I'm nowhere near noble enough to give up basketball for teaching. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------kevin - denver, co: What were girls like at ISU? I can't imagine much, right? Gimme one reason to go to ISU over KU or CU... Paul Shirley: Well, if you play basketball there, the fans are great. Other than that, I've got nothing. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hutch (Hartford,CT): Just to clarify Sue Bird's hotness. She is considered cute more than hot. Chances are for the avg. guy she would be the cutest girl you ever date. In a sportsbar population 300 she registers top 5. In a dance club, attracting finer women population of 1000 she's just below the top ten. Paul Shirley: That bordered on creepy. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Juice The Bay: TECMO Bowl is coming back, good idea? Paul Shirley: Is this for real? Because it would be huge news in my world. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sam: I imagine the chat will have to be wrapping up pretty soon. Tell me why I should buy your book in two, three syllable words. Paul Shirley: Itwillnot sucktoomuch. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Brian, Knox-vull: You said once that you enjoy spending your time more with trainers than other players. Who has been the best athletic trainer you've worked with, and why? Paul Shirley: Fred Tedeschi of the Chicago Bulls. Kind-hearted but understands that he's employed by a circus. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alexandra (Los Angeles, CA): I think when you were living in Los Angeles I saw you at a bar and you were giving me eyes. My friends told me you were a basketball player and I was waiting for you to come talk to me but you never did!! Paul, I'm a good, some say great looking girl, and you never approached me!! I would've made your time in LA MUCH more pleasurable!! Paul Shirley: There's a 65% chance that this was written by a male person. If not, I do apologize. I'm not usually so bashful. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mike D: What would be the best Beasties song to use as the soundtrack for a dunk montage of yourself? Paul Shirley: Sabotage is the best song to use for a soundtrack to anything. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Don, Washington D.C.: No wonder the media has embraced you, you bash GWB too Paul Shirley: That was a great comment. Or the worst of the day. Are there really still holdouts who think the man has done a good job? Who don't live in Texas, that is. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Citizen (World): If you got 10 points for making a shot from half court would this be something teams would work into their offense? And, who is the best trick shot player you ever saw or played with? Paul Shirley: This Argentinian dude on my Spanish team this spring was ridiculous. I think it comes from the soccer background. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Andrew, Decatur IL: and the 35% chance it was a chick would likely be made of three subcategories, crazy 10%, dirty 10%, and both crazy and dirty 15%... thats my vote anyway --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Eric (Scottsdale, AZ): I can attest to you not being bashful...you once hit on my girlfriend in a bar. Atta boy. Paul Shirley: Sorry about that. I once heard of a device in Japan wherein everyone's phones had some sort of indicator of singleness of the lack thereof. I think we should figure out how to make that happen here, only in a more obvious fashion. LIke green hair or something. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ryan (Vancouver, BC): Quick question. My girlfriend and I are going to Spain/Portugal in September. Give me a quick recommedation that I wouldn't find in a tourism book? Paul Shirley: I just realized that you wrote "not in a tourism book". Dammit. Everything's in a book somewhere. There are some great beaches NE of Barcelona by the town of Montgat. The girls there often don't wear tops. But you have the girlfirend. I've really failed on this question. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------John, Santa Cruz: How does the skill level in the NBA to CBA to ABA to the Spanish League differ.. I know the NBA is the top...but where is there more talent...Spanish league or the ABA Paul Shirley: It's not even close. The Spanish league is easily the second-best league in the world. Some teams there have budgets of $14 to $18 million. ABA teams have budgets that run into the four figures. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Andy (Lake Forest, CA): Tomorrow is my last day in this damn cubicle so I have no ambition to do a thing, thanks for being here for me... Paul Shirley: I'm glad we could all be here together. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kyle (Beijing, China): Paul, my mom had a crush on you when you were in Phoenix (my hometown). One problem, she also had a thing for Kurt Rambis. Good company? Paul Shirley: Someday, people will see Mr. Rambis in his cameo on our pilot. To answer your question...what the hell, I'll take it. Paul Shirley: Okay. I'm wholly spent. I'll sign off with my usual--find me on myspace.com/paulshirley. Also, I'm doing some stuff with Neal Pollack on slate.com--actually writing about the playoffs. That's up on the site now. And, more importantly, thanks so much for reading. Til next time...

• 7 months later...

Here you goWelcome to The Show! On Thursday, basketball veteran, and ESPN.com contributor, Paul Shirley will be by to chat about anything on your mind.Shirley has been documenting his professional basketball career with his ESPN.com journal "My So-Called Career." He recently wrote about his experience rehabbing an ankle injury over in Spain. He also wrote about his team's latest exciting win.Shirley's book ''Can I Keep My Jersey?'' was released earlier this year. He provided ESPN.com with an exerpt from the book.In his chats, Shirley hits on all subjects, from sports to music. You want to know what he's listening to while chatting? Ask him and he'll tell you. He'll also tell you his top 10 albums of 2007.Shirley has played for 13 pro basketball teams, including three NBA teams -- the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks and Phoenix Suns. He has also played in Greece, Spain and Russia, and has spent time in both the CBA and ABA.Send your questions now and join Paul in The Show on Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET!Shirley Archive: Chats | ColumnsSportsNation Paul Shirley: Have at me. I've just consumed around 0.4 kilos worth of chicken fajitas, which is entirely inappropriate, considering that I'm in the Spanish-speaking country of, you know, Spain, and not the Spanish-speaking country of Mexico.SportsNation Paul Shirley: And I'll be honest, I'm expecting strong questions since it's been something like a year since my last chat.Tim (Bermuda): Loved the book. This is a very important question. Is there any valid reason for a white 20 something male to sport a moustache? I had one for about four days and the novelty wore off. First eveyone laughed (because it was meant to be a joke) and then they tried to convince me to keep it (because I looked so hilarious) and then it sort of got accepted (other than the occassional look of disgust and head shake) and finally people were just telling me that I looked like an a-hole. I got shamed into shaving it. And this was all in a four day span! I realize of course, that this is possibly the worst post for a chat ever but I saw that you were going to chat about moustaches and I had to put you to the test.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Let's talk mustaches.I have one. It's both terrible and awesome at the same time. The fun here is that no one quite understands how funny it is. (Which could mean that it isn't that funny.) However, I do. I'm working on about 4 weeks worth of growth--it laps over my mouth on both sides by half an inch and when I smile, I look a little like Salvador Dali.SportsNation Paul Shirley: To answer your question: No, there is no reason that someone our age should own/possess/grow a mustache. Unless he's taken a vow of celibacy, which is basically the situation in which I find myself.Carter (Ohio: So, I just recently got NBA 2K8, and I just wanted to let you know that you are permanently on my roster. I decided after reading your book that if I found you in an NBA game, I would make sure you will be gainfully employed by an NBA team for the rest of your virtual days. So, done. Just letting you know.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Thank you. I got the best email yesterday: this kid was appalled that I am the lowest-rated player on 2K7 or 2K8 or BTK or whatever it's called. I was touched. I reassured him though, and convinced him that it's A) better to be on a video game period, than not on a video game at all, and B) WAY funnier to be the worst-rated than the second-worst-rated.Roni Chicago, IL: Hey Paul! How is the nightlife in Spain? I'm actually traveling to London over New Year's..SportsNation Paul Shirley: Uhh...you know that London isn't in Spain, right?Matt, Philly: Has your book release been considered a success by you? Your publisher? Any beautiful, European women in your life?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes/yes/only in the worst way.SportsNation Paul Shirley: (That kind of sounds like I've begun paying for sex.)SportsNation Paul Shirley: Book release has been a resounding success, except that I cringe anytime I see something I wrote inside. It's just...not that well-written in parts. So have patience with me, I'll get better.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'm so good at self-promotion.John (White Plains, NY): I just watched the ViveMenorca video. That is one weak 'stache. You make Adam Morrison look like a lumberjack for cryin' out loud. I grew one in college as a joke during finals and kept it for about 9 months. Hispanic girls started to dig me and I was dubbed "Paco" for all time by my friends. All in all, a worthwhile endeavor.SportsNation Paul Shirley: In my defense, that video is from two weeks ago. It takes that long for my emails to get to the ESPN headquarters. Rest assured, it is ridiculous at this point.Ricardo Portland OR: Have you been following the NBA, and is there anyone that has you excited?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Honest answer: I am enjoying the Celtics current run because of my deep-seated Celtics fandom and because I greatly respect Kevin Garnett after the 3 weeks I spent in training camp with the TWolves last year. He really does deserve success.Matt Lawrence KS: what is you faavorite all time video game?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Tecmo Super Bowl, por supuesto.Matt (Hartford, CT): Hey Paul, did the sign that the fan made do any good in finding you a girlfriend?SportsNation Paul Shirley: No.David sacramento,ca: Have you ever been told you look like Matt Leinert with an afro?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'm better-looking, actually. His eyes are oddly close-set. So, no.Danielle, Ames IA: Hola Paul, Fellow ISU alum here. What is the number 1 thing you miss about college and/or Ames?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Hickory Park. And borderline insane basketball coaches screaming at me while their faces are six centimeters from mine.Andrew (NY,NY): Hotter chicks: Greece, Spain, or Russia? Same question for Chicago, Atlanta, or Phoenix.SportsNation Paul Shirley: This is not even close. Russia and Phoenix.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Same type of girls, actually. Blond, good bodies, not very good at conventional English...Sean (Colorado Springs, CO): Been to any good concerts lately?SportsNation Paul Shirley: No, and I hate you if you have been. Bands don't seem to want to come to Mahon, Menorca, with its population of 12,000, 6% of which is under the age of 35.Jim(Illinois): I don't know too much about international leagues. What is the hierarchy in terms of pay and basketball talent?SportsNation Paul Shirley: It goes, Spain, then the NBA...Actually, here's an approximation. 1st division in Spain is the best in Europe, then maybe Greece or Russia, then Italy, then the 2nd division in Spain. After that, it gets a little hairy--Germany, France, Turkey and Israel.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Hairy, ha.citizen (world): Wait, Mahon has a population of 12,000 yet you get 5,000 at a basketball game?SportsNation Paul Shirley: The entire island has a population of around 55,000. (Reportedly.) Still, 9% attendance isn't too shabby.JR (Chicago, IL): So, what are the literary groupies like? How do they compare with basketball groupies?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Quite simply, they're way, way smarter.Chris (Chicago, IL): Paul, have you made even close to as much from your book as you did from playing basketball? Or is this a question you are too ashamed to answer?SportsNation Paul Shirley: No. But why would I be ashamed to answer? You realize that professional athletes are paid salaries that are in no way related to their contribution to the betterment of society as a whole, right?Leo (Bay Area, CA): YOu have never been to scandinavia I take it then? The females in Norway & Sweden are crushing all the cities mentioned above. I suggest a vacation there immediately for you. BTW, girls there love afros & mustaches! SO your good to go!SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'm sure they are. Unfortunately, their basketball leagues are terrible. I think this is intentional: they know they can attract players only because of their female talent. The $1000 a month salaries aren't getting it done.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Side note: It's always been my secret plan to finish my career in Sweden or Iceland. But now you've drawn it out of me. All my schemes, ruined.Dave: Can we expect a top ten albums of 2007 blog from you this year?SportsNation Paul Shirley: See...somewhere under "Paul Shirley's Top 10 Albums of 2007" on this here webpage.Derek (Chicago, IL): Overall a very respectable Top 10 of 2007, but what about Okkervil River? What about LCD Soundsystem? Oh, and thank you for not putting that album by MIA on there. Am I the only person who thinks she could single handedly destroy music?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I don't think she's destroying popular music, but I was disappointed by the second album. The collaboration with Timbaland: Woof.Leo (Bay Area, CA): Actually I was getting 2,500 a month in Harstad Norway. So they'd probably break the bank for you! But yes your are right about the crappy league (think average american adult league with 2 americans per team).SportsNation Paul Shirley: Now we're getting warm.Greg (Madison, WI): Paul you're an intelligent guy, at what point are you going to hang up the shoes? Why is it so important to you to hold on to the fringes of basketball. In reality your career ended years ago. You could have completed medical or law school in the interim. Why is it so important for you to validate your identity as a basketball player? You take the basketball away and you have no career as a writer (ESPN, television, book whatever). When are you going to invest in you? What is your plan for "after basketball," it seems you've been avoiding that for like seven years?SportsNation Paul Shirley: You're absolutely right. Getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play basketball has been one half-decade-long mistake. I quit.Dimitris (Halkida, Greece): If you had to choose one of the players that you faced in Greece who do you think will have a good carrier in the nba?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Diamantidis.SportsNation Paul Shirley: (72% sure I spelled that right.)Jamal (Madison,WI): When are you going to be on dancing with the stars after watching you on the video after that dude hit that three. You were looking a little excited.SportsNation Paul Shirley: For all my snark and self-deprecation, I remain able to love the occasional game of basketball.SportsNation Paul Shirley: It's the other 166 hours per week that get me.SportsNation Paul Shirley: That math was done on the fly, so forgive me if it's incorrect.Carl (Lansing, MI): What are your thoughts on the writers strike? It seems like you are someone that could see both sides of it.SportsNation Paul Shirley: After reading The Jungle, I generally side with strikers. (Except in France, when they're public transport workers yelling about mindless jobs that pay them too much.) I have friends who are writers, and I like them and, therefore, blindly assume that they are in the right. Other than that, I really don't know enough to comment...Royce (LA): Do you feel honored or insulted that ESPN gives you the longest intro paragraph on any of their chats? Gilding the lily, or necessary marketing?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Do they really? I think it's a necessary evil; it keeps people from saying, "Dude, who are you, and why do I care?"Melody Minneapolis, MN: Paul, are you following US politics at all? Which candidates do you like?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Guaranteed to turn off a few readers, just by posting that question....Ever since his Daily Show appearance, I've enjoyed a dab of Ron Paul now and then. I'm sure I'll end up voting for the Democratic candidate since Romney's a cyborg, Giuliani hates everyone and Huckabee might try to turn us into a slightly-more-tolerant version of Pakistan.Tony (Des Moines): Paul, I just found my pictures of the ISU team's not-so-triumphant return to the Des Moines Airport after the loss to Michigan State in the Elite Eight. What happened to your baby-face?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Paul, I'd like to introduce you to, first, rejection and after, alcohol.Austin (San Francisco): Moustaches are to women as ambrosia was to the Greek gods. During college 12 roomoates and I sported one for Moustache Month--"if you ain't sportin' the stache , don't join the bash." Anyways, have you thought of hitting on the bassist from Stellastarr* with your new cranial accessory?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I enjoyed that one, with or without question....I think she's dating the lead singer of Thursday. God knows I can't compete with that.Carl (Lansing, MI): do you ever read the comments on your Blogs? One person told you to cheer up and the sun will come up tomorrow. Just thought you should know.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I do. I enjoy when people take the time to read the entire thing and then tell the world how bad it was. Those folks are fun.Sean - Chicago IL: Word is Caron Butler used to chug a 2L of Mountain Dew before every game and at halftime, whats the pregame beverage of choice for Paul Shirley?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Is opium a beverage?Widmark (EC, WI): Have you heard about the russian tennis star getting held up at home and getting 100 grand stolen from her? How much cash do you keep on hand? Do you go out and make it rain?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Usually about 40 euros, which is equivalent to approximately $8,000.Josh (Bklyn, NY): You like the Celtics? Do you ever watch Brian Scalabrine and think there is absolutely nothing this guy brings to the table that I don't, plus I have shoulders?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Not once, and I can't believe you'd say such a thing.George (Portland, OR): Can I make a website for you? Seriously. I'm freelancing and hate all my other clients. In fact, I'm about as surly as you - it's probably a great match.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes you can. Send me a myspace message.Matt, Philly: Where was the promotion for this chat?! I get the sense that I have to keep post questions, as I happily stumbled upon it, while others will not know this is going on.SportsNation Paul Shirley: No comment.Justin (Salem, OR): I'm an engineering student, and I know you once were. Are any of the very very very few engineering girls worth pursuing? Or should I try to meet girls elsewhere, and impress them with my knowledge of vector calculus?SportsNation Paul Shirley: You should pursue them elsewhere, but if you find an attractive one who knows how to diagram a four-bar linkage, she could be a keeper.213 7th (EC, WI): How long are you chatting for? What are you doing for xmas? New Years?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Was that a home address? Does that mean I'm invited over?Carl (Lansing, MI): I always felt bad for the one hot girl in our engineering classes. I always made a point to not hit on her becuase so many guys thought they could and I didn't want to be "that" guy.SportsNation Paul Shirley: We had one of those. I didn't have the self-control that you have. Our relationship lasted one date. Good job, me.Anthony (L.A.): Do you consult a financial advisor or should we be on the look out for you to be hocking frozen meats with Icky Woods in 5 years? I worry about you.SportsNation Paul Shirley: You should. I can't stop buying jewelry/coke/Ferraris.The Hot Girl (Engineering Class): You missed out Carl....Jamal (Madison, WI): How is going out with your teammates after a game? You all get a big tab? Pay individually? How does the dynamic work in foreign lands with foreign teammates?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'll say this about Europeans: They're a generous group. After a recent win, one of my Serbian teammates paid for the dinners of 20 people--players, wives, kids.Pat (Neenah, WI): I'm at a terrible computer at work, so I cannot watch the video of your celebrastache. Being a moustache veteran of the Fu Manchu lip lazer while wearing 'Moustache rides: 1 for 3, 2 for 5' scribbled in sharpie on a horrendously pit-stained white t shirt and the 70's fuzzy catepillar two-a-day, grown solely to be an eye sore on a team picture - how would you describe your moustache? A musty moust? Cuddly? Burt Reynolds in nature? Pray tell and invest in yourself using introspection for a higher purpose than contemplating why you haven't gone to medical or law school. Doctors and lawyers don't wear moustaches. Cowboys do. Yipee-kai-yea.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I have no response. I'm sorry.Sam (San Antonio): Paul, it just struck me, either you are an ultra rare renaissance man, or you are just a generic jack of all trades, and master of none. Which is it in your opinion?SportsNation Paul Shirley: The optimistic side, the one that comes out after 9 pm, wants to believe it's the former. The version of me that curses the world if he has to get up before ten is sure it's the latter.john jones: i was on the minnesota state basketball team last year (where you did your training camp with the wolves) and I didn't think you we're as bad as everyone says you are (by nba standards of course) are you actively trying to get back to the league and play back home in the states or are you content to finish out your career in europe?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'll take Back-Handed Compliments for 12 euro....Here's the thing, and I realize this is confusing. I can't leave my team in Spain in the middle of the year. I mean, I suppose I could, but they wouldn't allow me to take my registration papers if I just flew home one day. They need to win games too, so they wouldn't be thrilled about me leaving. Thus, I can't just go try to play in the NBA sometime in January. Although it sounds nice, from time to time.matt (omaha): Many years ago, while you were playing for the Bulls, you signed an autograph for me on my hat. Remember me? How ya been?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I should remember you since that was most likely the only autograph I signed while playing for Chicago. Alas, I do not. I do apologize.Alex, Spain: Hi Paul, what do you think of Ricky Rubio?SportsNation Paul Shirley: He's deceptively good. I hadn't seen him play til this year. I was amazed. He looks like a skateboarder; plays like Steve Nash. And he's 17.*SportsNation Paul Shirley: *I think.SportsNation Paul Shirley: *I think.Rich, DC: Why isn't minor leage basketball more popular in this country? I see CBA and D -league attendance numbers and its pretty low. It seems that minor league teams are always folding (and that does not even include the dysfunctional ABA, where a team drops out every week).SportsNation Paul Shirley: (Whispering, hand aside the mouth): Psst. College basketball.Mike, Phoenix: I tried to post this comment on your Top 10 Albums page, but keep getting errored out so: Not a bad list Paul - I'm going to agree with The National selection as the year's finest album - but no love for Spoon? Also you are going to lose a lot of cred from the typical ESPN reader with your rightful inclusion of Strawberry Jam...everyone I recommend that one to ignores my next five choices. So typical ESPN reader, please don't write off Mr. Shirley's entire list two minutes into "Peacebone". Thanks.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I second that. When it comes to music, listen to me--I have spare time.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Oh, sorry, Spoon...good, not great.Tibs (Minneapolis, MN): What is the weirdest pre-game or halftime quirk you have seen in your times in the NBA and in Europe?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I walked out of a locker room in Greece at halftime and found the entire dance team in the hallway, smoking cigarettes.SportsNation Paul Shirley: (Feels like that should be the start of a story that ends with "and then I put my shorts back on and reported for the fourth quarter." Sadly, it's just that they were smoking at halftime.)Jason (Baltimore): Paul, help me. I am 24 years old, and the other night I met an attractive older woman at a bar. I thought she was in her late 30's/early 40's, and after and hour or two, she made it abundantly clear that she was interested in me (for reasons that are not lost on me). We went back to her place, the rest of the evening really needs no explanation. When I woke up the next morning, I couldn't remember her name. As she was taking a shower, I went into her purse, pulled out her license, and saw her name....I also saw that she was 51 YEARS OLD (as she is older than my Mom by two months). I have no idea how to feel about this situation.SportsNation Paul Shirley: There's only a 40% chance that that is a true story. But if it is, embrace it. If I've learned only one thing, it is that misery and awkward make for great stories.CDL, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho: I was part of a group of criminal defense lawyers who had a 'stache growing contest for a month. Basically it was a result of a drunken night when we were making fun of our local police officers. Bonus points were awarded to those who had jury trials, appeared in the paper, etc. All I can say is part of my job is defending criminals for a living - and growing a mustache was one of the worst things I ever had to do. Since I can't think of anything else - any plans for another book?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes, but it will be fiction, and you might not like it.Brooklyn, New York: What do you think about your alma mater's soon to be enacted change in logo? I was always sort of partial to the "bird in a blender" myself.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I had no idea. I hope they bring back the post-modern tornado.Phil, Milw: When does a stache become a molestache?SportsNation Paul Shirley: About 12 hours in.Victoria Boston, MA: As far as misery and awkward making for great stories - I only found your herpes scare story marginal.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Next time, I promise to contract the disease. Or write better.Matt, Chicago: Paul, I've spent 9 hours of my day thus far checking espn.com and checking on the status of various student loans that I'll be paying until I retire. I'm at work. If you ever begin to listen to one of these people who seem to suggest you should hang it up, think of me. Think of me Paul, think of me.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Noted. Sorry man.Ryan (madison, wi): You post a lot of wisconsin people's questions. Do you have an affiliation with our state? I have an impossible exam at 745 am tomorrow that I haven't started studying for, and I'm here chatting with you. I apologize for the other madison d-bag who encouraged you to stop living the dream. Want to come get wasted after my exam tomorrow? 10 a.m. our time has to be like, dinner time for you, right?SportsNation Paul Shirley: No affiliation other than an affection for people from Wisconsin. They're always friendly. Kind of like Canadians, only better drinkers. And yes, I'll be there.Shanners (Wausau, WI): The best way to follow your career overseas is.....SportsNation Paul Shirley: either acb.com or menorcabasquet.comSportsNation Paul Shirley: The first is in Spanish, obviously, and the second is probably in Menorquin, not so obviously.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yes, they have their own language on this island.Karen (Oregon, WI): Hey, I'm from Wisconsin! You would love the way I drink.Colin (Chicago): Paul, are you excited for the new version on "American Gladiators" host by Hulk Hogan that's coming out soon?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I've only heard rumblings. (Remember, I'm in Spain.) But now I'm excited.Ryan (Lizzle,IL): so are you fluent in spanish by now? if so what is your favorite spanish phrase?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Can't post that, obviously. As for my Spanish, it's not nearly as good as it should be. I can't seem to muster the willpower to make a decent effort. The problem is this: I don't even have English mastered; I can't imagine how I could get Spanish figured out anytime soon. At least, not well enough for heavy deployment of sarcasm, anyway.chad (lawrence, KS): how do you think the jeff west tigers team will be this year?SportsNation Paul Shirley: If they'd get my brother the ball more, they'd be better.Luke (St. Paul, MN): ACBtv is great, thanks for alerting stateside basketball fans. It's much more entertaining than most of the internet highlight stuff NBA.com does (although that may have a lot to do with the fact that so many of the ACB clips are clutch jump shots, followed by wild celebrations, rather than an endless stream of dunks made possible by breakdowns in the opposing team's defense...)SportsNation Paul Shirley: You are welcome and you are right. These fast-collapsing defenses really cut down on the thunder dunks.Haden (memphis): What do you think about Juan Carlos Navarro's success in the NBA? Who else in the Spanish 1st Division could have similar success?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Honestly, I was surprised. But that's only because I'm not cut out to be an NBA prognosticator. Tiago Splitter comes to mind as an instant success in the NBA.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Which, of course, means that his NBA career is now cursed.Lisa: Do you ever feel like you are a little too honest? I mean, you are making the whole hero worship thing that I like to have with professional athletes kind of tough. Just a thought.SportsNation Paul Shirley: You make a good point. Additionally, should I ever have kids, records of everything I've ever written will make for some tough conversations.Greg (Boston): His name is Tiago Splitter? How could he not succeed in the states?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I know, right? Why can't my name be Tiago Splitter?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Sorry, took a break to send, via skype, some of my favorite questions elsewhere.Davs (Washington, DC): hey Paul, I think you more closely resemble Tom Everett Scott (from "That Thing You Do!" and "Dead Man On Campus") than Matt Leinart... p.s. as always, thanks for supplying us with countless hours of humorous/insightful writing and entertainment...SportsNation Paul Shirley: Also from the now-defunct (I think) Saved on TNT. The top choices are: Matt Leinart (when I'm in LA), John Mayer (when my hair is long), TES, and Timothy Hutton (when I look old and like I was in a movie with a 12-year old Natalie Portman).val (anaheim): Paul, its been too long. Is it gonna be another 1 year + before your next chat?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'll do my best to avoid it.Tyler(Ames, IA): Do you still keep in touch with former ISU teammates like Fizer,Tinsley,Horton,Rancik,etc...?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Oddly enough, Martin, his wife, and his son accompanied me around the Guggenheim in Bilbao. He plays for the team there.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Oh no, the girl on the other end of the Skype line is going to be in Las Vegas for the New Year. And I'm almost sure she'll be there with her German boyfriend. I think I need an outpouring of support to convince her otherwise...citizen (world): So, Bilbao is a "must see." Any other surprisingly interesting Spanish cities?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Cordoba, Valencia.JB Meccamon (Madison, WI): Complete this sentence: When I see _____ playing in the NBA, I want to ____ a _____ with a _______.SportsNation Paul Shirley: I can't answer that here, but I did laugh a lot.Derek (Chicago, IL): I grew up in a tiny town in Southwest Iowa, and we'd have open gym during the winter at the elementary school every Sunday, which consisted of high school kids, 40 year old men, and recent graduates who never made it out of town playing pick up games on a 60 by 25 court. Now this was fine, but occasionally during the end of my high school career (say '98-'99) former Cyclone Julius Michalik would show up and play. Why would Julius want to play with a bunch of 5'7" slow, fat, townies? And why did he need to warm up for 45 minutes?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Because when he was 21 he was working with the body of a 54-year-old. Great guy though.Wheels (Mpls, MN): I am seeing a girl from work who lives with her boyfriend who also works with us. How is this going to end?SportsNation Paul Shirley: My hunch is: badly for everyone. But the stories will be great.matt (omaha): I think you look like the kid from "Superbad". Is that insulting?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Absolutely. But I'll live.Justin (Fairbanks (AK)): Dude that was a sweet rejection you had on that stiff from Grenada. How come you're getting everyone to focus on the stache when you have a killer highlight like that?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Because nobody (including me) likes a braggart.BJ (Missoula,MT): Doesn't that girl know that all German guys are Duetsche bags (I can say this because a german foreign exchange student stole my girlfriend 7 years ago)Jake (PA): Is basketball more popular than soccer on your island?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Only because there isn't a soccer team here.Ryan (Lizzle,IL): who is the best american born player currently playing in the ACBSportsNation Paul Shirley: Chris Moss.Eric (Kansas City): Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think I played against you in a fall/winter league in Kansas City a few years ago. Was that you???SportsNation Paul Shirley: It's quite possible. It's been a winding road, this career of mine.Stewart Griffin (Quahog, RI): I really like the new PARAMORE album. Is it gay for a big manly man to like a band with a chick lead singer?SportsNation Paul Shirley: It's okay, I like the New Pornographers. And Tegan and Sara. But that could just be because they're lesbian sisters from Canada.chris (sf): dude, it's not cool if you are skypeing (is that a word?) my german friends spanish girlfriend. But if it's someone else, good luckBob (Seattle): For a guy with a bad ankle, you sure moved quickly chasing mustache boy around after the game winning shot. BTW, what did you whisper in his ear beforete the freethrow? Was it what Bill Murray whispered in Scarlett Johansson's ear? Mmmmm... Scarlett JohanssonSportsNation Paul Shirley: That's all adrenaline and Celebrex. And Juicy Fruit.Captain Honesty: Who's the ugliest player you've ever played with or against? Peter John Ramos? Salva Guardia? Or someone that wasn't at the game Sunday. Be honest.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Is Ha-Seung Jin eligible?Brent (Portland, OR): Having drafting the rights to Rudy Fernandez, and him being from Spain...what is there you can tell us Blazer fans about him?SportsNation Paul Shirley: (Watch out everyone, it seems we have a Blazers GM in the chat.) He's...really good. And a good dude, as well.SonnyD (Vancouver, CA): Mr.Shirely first thank you for the compliment about Canadians being nice. We are. But not being able to handle the booze, I'll challenge anyone from WI. We have real beer up here, 5% not 3%. I haven't read your book yet but I will go buy it if you can inspire me in three words or less.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Not a hobbit.Jack, Detroit: Yeah, you're making hundreds of thousands of dollars, but do you realize you'd have to play like 40-50 more years (they have AARP leagues in eurore, right?) to make what Brian Scalabrine is going to in the next five? sorry, just thought you'd like to know.SportsNation Paul Shirley: Yeah, well, I have better hair.Ryan (Lizzle,IL): does the island of menorca have any topless beaches for you to hang out at?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Not in December.Deets (Eau Claire, WI): Where does Bad Religion rank among your favorite bands of all-time?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Is number 1,287 an acceptable answer?Austin (San Francisco): Who's the more compelling writer, to your mind, Simmons, Gladwell or Klosterman? (Or maybe Seuss?)SportsNation Paul Shirley: Klosterman. Then again, what am I going to say? The man took time away to write the foreword for my book after I sent him an email that said, "Would you write the foreword for my book?" He'll always be my favorite, if only because of that.Steve (Chicago): Were the lacerated kidney and ruptured spleen the highlight of your stint with the Bulls?SportsNation Paul Shirley: No, but the Dilaudid that followed was.Joe (Chicago): Lots of stories about the Suns slipping this year due to chemistry issues -- I'm guessing its not G.Hill's fault. Care to speculate?SportsNation Paul Shirley: I'm pretty sure they're lacking something, and that something has the following initials: PMS.Alberto Seattle,WA: would you have an orangatang as a pet?SportsNation Paul Shirley: Does the pope poop in the woods?SportsNation Paul Shirley: It's nearing midnight in Menorca, and I need to stop staring at a computer screen. As always, thanks for passing through and sending a question. Or thanks for idly sitting by and not sending a question. Feel free to comment on the Albums of 2007 list with choices of your own. I'll be watching. And as always, I can be found at myspace.com/paulshirley. Thanks.