Va. Tech Shooting

Exactly. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A murderer using any other weapon would still be a murderer. And if a person wants a gun they can get one, whether they're legal or not, why would someone with no respect for laws against murder respect laws against guns?
Incorrect, its a damn site easier to stop a lunatic with a knife than a lunatic with a gun.
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'm not sure that this is the place for political debate, this incident absolutely crushes me. but what if it turns out that the guns he used were already illegal? would you be willing to repeal the idea that this incident is proof that we should ban guns?
Not that I as well care about this debate but Good old GW started this debate all over again by making his statement regarding the shootings today. Made his little, so sorry, but people should be able to get guns if they want them. Illegal or not, there are thousands of other crimes commited by people with legal ownership of guns so it really is a moot point if this was a legal or illegal gun. Js.
No it isn't, read what I just said. Brazil is the worst country in the world for gun crime anyway, why don't you have a go at them? Everyone loves to hate on America. They definitely have problems but every country does. The liberal media loves to exaggerate and clearly they've taken you in.
Because we have seen over and over again the same news story. Gun man goes into school and kills. How would that relate to Brazil?. The fact is that banning guns can ONLY be a good thing.
Just take a look at the stats and stop talking crap.
OK. I will.
How can this be if guns are "banned" there?
"Handgun crime 'up' despite ban"http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1440764.stm
WTF? How can this be?I sure hope your general capacity for logic that you apply to life carries over to the poker table (and you're sitting to my left)
OK. I will. How can this be if guns are "banned" there?WTF? How can this be?
Simple...illegal guns.Could you imagine how much WORSE it would be if guns were legal.
Incorrect, its a damn site easier to stop a lunatic with a knife than a lunatic with a gun.
Why do people think if someone doesn't have a gun they would use a knife, there are other weapons that are easily as or more destructive than guns you find out how to build with a Google search.What if kids were allowed to openly carry firearms, you think he would have killed 30+ before he got gunned down?
These kids died because of a sick madman, period. Whether the gun he used was ultimately legal or not makes no difference. The happiest ending to a situation like this is "Student pulls out gun to start shooting but is immediately cut down by people who have the means to defend themselves" instead of crying over the injustices of this life and blaming it on an inanimate object.
I don't want to get involved in any of the political discussion going on, but I will say that violence begets violence; the best solution is for we as a society to recognize and confront people who may be suffering for severe depression or who may not be able to cope with things on their own. As rational people we have the responsibility to help those around us so no one turns to violence as means of expression, for whatever reason.
Talk about an irrelevant non sequitur :club: We aren't discussing the operational aspects of firearms versus knives. The issue is- would passing stupid laws that do nothing other than to impact upon the law abiding (who are the only ones who follow laws in the first place) prevent things like this from happening.Your country is a great example to look towards, and the answer is a clear-cut "NO".
You're not listening. When you make guns illegal, criminals will STILL HAVE THEM. You can't easily stop people from getting a widely available commodity simply by passing a law and trying to enforce it. See: the US's war on drugs.
Why do people think if someone doesn't have a gun they would use a knife, there are other weapons that are easily as or more destructive than guns you find out how to build with a Google search.What if kids were allowed to openly carry firearms, you think he would have killed 30+ before he got gunned down?
Stupid argument. Simple fact, if guns were harder to get hold of there would be less gun crimes. Surely that is just simple logic.
Simple...illegal guns.Could you imagine how much WORSE it would be if guns were legal.
Uh, sorry. Wrong again.Your gun crime is higher now that you've banned them than it was when they were legal.Better luck next time.It isn't easy when the truth is contrary to ones own ideals on life, but this is the case we have here, with you.
hey, an AK-47 has a lot of practical uses like...everyone should own 37 of them.
Talk about an irrelevant non sequitur :club: We aren't discussing the operational aspects of firearms versus knives. The issue is- would passing stupid laws that do nothing other than to impact upon the law abiding (who are the only ones who follow laws in the first place) prevent things like this from happening.Your country is a great example to look towards, and the answer is a clear-cut "NO".
Your country has a serious gun problem. Again look at gun deaths v anyone in Europe.
Simple fact, if guns were harder to get hold of there would be less gun crimes. Surely that is just simple logic.
The ultimate answer to that is that passing prohibitory laws doesn't make guns "harder to get a hold of" for people who want them to do wrong. It's no different than buying illegal drugs.They're illegal, yet they're still here.
Yes, I think rap music created that culture but good parenting could do a lot to prevent it growing.
The culture was around long before rap music ever existed. People can point to it as a medium that has glorified the lifestyle but there had to be a lifestyle to glorify in the first place. Gangs and gang culture existed long before the gangsta hip-hop of the early 90's.
The ultimate answer to that is that passing prohibitory laws doesn't make guns "harder to get a hold of" for people who want them to do wrong. It's no different than buying illegal drugs.They're illegal, yet they're still here.
Utter rubbish proven by the number of gun deaths in the USA compared to other countries.
Your country has a serious gun problem. Again look at gun deaths v anyone in Europe.
Our country has massive cultural and social problems, for sure. Things like this are a symptom, no doubt. With that said, the soloution to these problems is not "banning guns" which will do nothing.Again, I will reiterate. Your country has done just that, and since your country banned handguns, your handgun crime HAS RISEN.
Stupid argument. Simple fact, if guns were harder to get hold of there would be less gun crimes. Surely that is just simple logic.
Unless you stop gun companies from making guns, and destroy every gun that everyone already owns a law doesn't do jack shit to stop this from happening. Your fighting a losing argument, do you see why?
Utter rubbish proven by the number of gun deaths in the USA compared to other countries.
The number of homocides in the US compared to other countries has to do with sociological and demographical components that "other countries" just don't have.The isolated madman will always exist. Whether he uses a gun to shoot people, or a boxcutter to crash a plane into a building- I think we can all agree that this is just an unfortunate component of life. However, the number of homicides in the US (firearm or not) are directly correlated to certain issues that are native to the United States.In short, you cannot compare the USA to "other countries" since we are entirely unique in both our successes and failures alike (which is a large part of the reason so many other countries hate the US so much).The solutions to the unique problems that beset this country should not be done based on the actions of other countries who are entirely different in their most basic construct.We are a fundamentally different civilization than Europe.The personal computer, automobile, airplane, telephone, home electricity, the light bulb- basically everything you see around you that defines modernity- all of it was invented here. This is an example of our massive successes compared to other countries. One of our failures is that we are an unduly violent society, however, passing emotionally driven laws that will have absolutely no impact (save for upon the law abiding) is not the solution and only serves to pacify the idiots amongst us who operate on "feelings" rather than logic.
LG, go find a gun and pistol-whip this motherfucker, would you?
I second this.
The culture was around long before rap music ever existed. People can point to it as a medium that has glorified the lifestyle but there had to be a lifestyle to glorify in the first place. Gangs and gang culture existed long before the gangsta hip-hop of the early 90's.
You keep picking out tiny parts of my posts and over-analysing them. I don't want to argue about gang culture. I agree with you, I just didn't word my post very carefully because I'm tired and I don't care that much about posting on a poker forum. Go read some Roethke and write a book on how his father abused him.
Our country has massive cultural and social problems, for sure. Things like this are a symptom, no doubt. With that said, the soloution to these problems is not "banning guns" which will do nothing.Again, I will reiterate. Your country has done just that, and since your country banned handguns, your handgun crime HAS RISEN.
Of course gun crime is going to rise. Illegal guns coming into the country will always happen. The fact is they are not available to the general public which prevents people who have a really bad day going around shooting people. The vast majority of illegal guns that are over here are owned by gangs. They are not the people who would walk into a school and do what has just happened once again in the US.
Or not.