Va. Tech Shooting

No, it is comparable when you consider the size of the school vs. the size of the university. School with roughly 300 kids, University with roughly 30,000 on any given day.
I guess I can see how you make that point given the populations.
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still don't see how some of you think that they took every precaution with this situation. Put yourself in the shoes of those students. If there was a double homicide somewhere on campus, wouldn't you like to know about it? I don't know about you but if there was a double homicide on my campus and the shooter was not caught, being in class like a sitting duck would be the last place I'd want to be. The easiest way to get the message out was to simply cancel class and say why. Why do you think so many of the witness accounts mentioned "we thought it was construction". They sat there for 20 rounds or so and only when they heard screams they realized what was going on. This was 2 hours after the first incident.

I still don't see how some of you think that they took every precaution with this situation. Put yourself in the shoes of those students. If there was a double homicide somewhere on campus, wouldn't you like to know about it? I don't know about you but if there was a double homicide on my campus and the shooter was not caught, being in class like a sitting duck would be the last place I'd want to be. The easiest way to get the message out was to simply cancel class and say why. Why do you think so many of the witness accounts mentioned "we thought it was construction". They sat there for 20 rounds or so and only when they heard screams they realized what was going on. This was 2 hours after the first incident.
Being in class like a sitting duck for who? Every homicide leads to mass murder now? Wake up- there was no way to prevent this, except to turn back the clock and give the kid help when it was obvious he needed it. There will always be a contingency of people that think that something like this is stoppable, who live in a world of hindsight, but that is not reality, it's a fictional utopia. The school did nothing wrong under the circumstances.
A high school isn't a city. If 2 people get killed at Jack in the Box it's buiseness as usual at Steak and Shake a mile away. These colleges are like small cities. Most- I will go out on a really, really thick and short limb and say all- isolated killings are not followed up with mass murder 2 hours later. They did what they should considering the information at hand. There was an incident at my daughters school where a stranger was walking the campus. It was reported, they chased him away- or so they think, they never caught him. I received a letter sent home with my daughter the next day,,which was sufficient. If they would have put the school on lockdown, and called all the parents, would have been a little overkill. Next time there is a hit and run, and 2 hours later the same driver plows into a shopping mall 3 miles away, you will have people upset with the police because there was a hit and run mass murderer on the loose, and it is the polices fault. This is what the media does, because it is the only angle they can work rigth now, especially yesterday when information was sparse. It is sickening how people so quickly buy into it.
a high school is a school contained inside of one school district. any time there is an incident where a violent act occurs at one school building, the entire rest of the district is notified, and usually put on lockdown (especially when that violent act is murder). the dorm where the first two people were shot was a part of a college campus. this isn't just a regular city. blacksburg is Va tech, not a city with a college in it. these people are all connected in one way or another, and when a murder happens, it IS a big deal to everybody. there were two people murdered on a college campus (not off campus, ON THE CAMPUS) and the students weren't sent so much as an email for over 2 hours. that makes no sense to me. And your Jack in the Box/Steak and Shake example is a poor example. Do the JitB and S&S have a central communication system? No. But the college did. Email. Thats all they had to do: send out an email to the campus notifying them of the events. No, of course it wouldn't have gotten to every student, and probably wouldn't have gotten to the students in the class at the time. But do you believe that the word wouldn't have traveled to them? Who knows, maybe it would have, maybe it wouldn't, but at least they would have tried. The fact of the matter is, there was an armed and dangerous killer who was not in police custody, the college knew this, they had the means to at least attempt to notify a great number of people in the area about it, and they didn't. This isn't a hindsight argument, its a common sense one. The media didn't need to tell me that the college administration let 2 hours pass before notifying the students that two people were murdered on their campus and the murderer was still at large.Did the stranger in your daughters school kill two people there? What if he did, and they didn't feel the need to notify the other schools in the area after he got away? Would that be ok with you? Would you still have been fine with just the letter?
Being in class like a sitting duck for who?
For anyone in a place that didn't allow guns (i.e everyone that went to class not knowing there was a shooting earlier)
For anyone in a place that didn't allow guns (i.e everyone that went to class not knowing there was a shooting earlier)
How the hell are these police supposed to assume mass homicide, or even suspect it? How the hell do you shut down a small town for what looks like an isolated incident? Officers/detectives have such a thankless job it's ****ing disgusting.
So, do you carry guns around with you to class or your place of work every day? I'm curious. And if you do, I'd also be a little frightened.
How the hell are these police supposed to assume mass homicide, or even suspect it? How the hell do you shut down a small town for what looks like an isolated incident? Officers/detectives have such a thankless job it's ****ing disgusting.
You don't assume anything. You tell people exactly what happened, not ignore it for 2 hours and send out emails when the dude is going apeshit. No one is blaming the officers and detectives, they follow orders. It's the guys in charge who should be questioned about that 2 hour interval.And no Yorke I don't. But if a shooting happened on your campus wouldn't you like to know about it and make the decision yourself whether or not it's safe to attend class if the University does not cancel them?
You don't assume anything. You tell people exactly what happened, not ignore it for 2 hours and send out emails when the dude is going apeshit. No one is blaming the officers and detectives, they follow orders. It's the guys in charge who should be questioned about that 2 hour interval.And no Yorke I don't. But if a shooting happened on your campus wouldn't you like to know about it and make the decision yourself whether or not it's safe to attend class if the University does not cancel them?
I don't think you get this part....He was going to find where people were and start shooting. If no one was in class, I'm sure he would have gone to the dorms. People were going to die, there was only so much they could do about it. Your hindsight is 20/20 and you need to get those 20/20 thoughts out of your head.Yes, they should have sent an email out sooner. If those 2 people died and no one else, would you be on here complaing that it took too long for an email to go out? NOOOO!Got it?
So, do you carry guns around with you to class or your place of work every day? I'm curious. And if you do, I'd also be a little frightened.
If a gun is supposed to be a tool of self defense, then (in countries where gun control laws are heavy) why do we never see people carry around crowbars, staves, swords, bats, etc. ?Even if a person was trained in martial arts (as those are trained to use guns), I still wouldn't be comfortable if a fellow poker dealer came into work with a samurai sword attached to his hip.
I don't think you get this part....He was going to find where people were and start shooting. If no one was in class, I'm sure he would have gone to the dorms. People were going to die, there was only so much they could do about it. Your hindsight is 20/20 and you need to get those 20/20 thoughts out of your head.Yes, they should have sent an email out sooner. If those 2 people died and no one else, would you be on here complaing that it took too long for an email to go out? NOOOO!Got it?
Thanks for proving my point. If those 2 people died and no one else then still it would have been the right precaution to take.Got it?
Thanks for proving my point. If those 2 people died and no one else then still it would have been the right precaution to take.Got it?
If that's all your point was, why didn't you say just that? Don't lie to yourself. What % of the campus do you think would have gotten that email in that 2 hour span? Do you think no one would have been on campus for him to shoot? Yes, the email should have been sent out earlier, but it would not have kept him from doing what he wanted to do.Why did you not respond to the rest of my post saying how the other 99% of your posts are re-donk-ulous? What is the "right precaution to take"? Just wondering.
If that's all your point was, why didn't you say just that? Don't lie to yourself. What % of the campus do you think would have gotten that email in that 2 hour span? Do you think no one would have been on campus for him to shoot? Yes, the email should have been sent out earlier, but it would not have kept him from doing what he wanted to do.Why did you not respond to the rest of my post saying how the other 99% of your posts are re-donk-ulous? What is the "right precaution to take"? Just wondering.
How about canceling class? That works even better than an e-mail. We can play the "what-if" game all day, but if you think that administration took every necessary step then you need to pull your head out. Any time there's a shooting on campus and the suspect is not in cuffs class should be canceled. Period. End of story. Not "oh it's an isolated incident we're ALMOST positive that he fled. Oh snaps there is shooting up a hall, time to send those e-mails out"And just out of curiosity, care to explain how you arrived at the conclusion that 99% of my posts are "re-donk-ulous"?
How about canceling class? That works even better than an e-mail. We can play the "what-if" game all day, but if you think that administration took every necessary step then you need to pull your head out. Any time there's a shooting on campus and the suspect is not in cuffs class should be canceled. Period. End of story. Not "oh it's an isolated incident we're ALMOST positive that he fled. Oh snaps there is shooting up a hall, time to send those e-mails out"And just out of curiosity, care to explain how you arrived at the conclusion that 99% of my posts are "re-donk-ulous"?
So, everyone would have known that classes were canceled? No one would have been in the building he went to because they all would have gotten the emails? If he went to the building and no one was there, he would have said "Oh, I guess I'm not going to do this now...time to go home and watch re-runs of SNL on E! (at least this is what I did in the middle of the day while in college)." He wouldn't have said "Oh, classes are canceled, I guess everyone is in the dorms, I'll go there."? Then, people would find some other fault in how the administration handled it, like...the students shouldn't have all been in the dorms because that's where the first shooting took place. Why do you think that the dorms are this safe place that everyone could have gone to and nothing could have happened to them there? Do you really thing that canceling class would have kept any more people from being shot? If you think so, then YOU need to4 pull your head out. What if a killer isn't caught for days later, should classes be canceled everyday until he is? Since that is the "End of Story", classes should not happen until they are caught...even if it takes weeks or months? Right? Isnt't that what you just said?You answer all of those questions about the holes in your arguments from your posts and then I'll tell you why your posts are re-donk-ulous. More like, you'll tell yourself and all of us, but go ahead, give it a try.