Va. Tech Shooting

Sounds like a horrible, horrible tragedy.Over 20+ people killed by what appears to have been a lone gunman. Every major news organization is covering. Check cnn.com or nytimes.com for more details as not everything is known yet.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the Times:Virginia Tech Shooting Kills at Least 20By CHRISTINE HAUSER and ANAHAD O’CONNORPublished: April 16, 2007At least 20 people were killed today, some of them students, and more were injured during shootings at Virginian Tech University, some of them at a classroom on the campus, the police said. The gunman was also shot to death, officials said at a news conference, but details about the incident and about the identity of the gunman were still unfolding.“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said the university’s president, Charles Steger.There were two shootings, and in each case fatalities with “multiple shooting victims,” he said.A police official said there were “at least 20 fatalities,” and that some of the victims were shot in the classroom. News of the number of the fatalities sent up an audible gasp in the news conference, said on television reporter in the broadcast.The shooting was partially captured on a student’s cellphone video camera showing grainy black figures on the street outside of campus buildings. Popping sounds from the gunfire were audible.“This place is in a state of panic,” said a student who was interviewed on CNN, Shaver Deyerle. “Nobody knew what was going on at first.”A few details emerged from the news conference. At 7:15 a.m., an emergency 911 call came in to University police department about a shooting at a campus building, and then another call reported a shooting in Norris hall. The shooter there is deceased, the police said.

To quote the late and great:...there is nothing intelligent to say about a massacre. Everybody is supposed to be dead, to never say anything or want anything ever again. Everything is supposed to be very quiet after a massacre, and it always is, except for the birds. And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like "Poo-tee-weet?"

Yeah no doubt. I understand some people have had **** go wrong in their lives, some of it is their own fault, some of it isnt. I can understand being pissed off at the world, but how sick do you have to be to walk to a college campus and take the lives of 20+ college students because your pissed off.I am convinced the human race will eventually wipe each other out, because we always resort to violence.

cnn.com has cell phone video from a student in the area when it was happening. You can't see much, just cops moving in, but you can hear the shooting, and a ton of it.Second shooting on the Va. Tech campus this year. You'd think they'd turn the place in to a fortress, but really, how can you protect every public place...

cnn.com has cell phone video from a student in the area when it was happening. You can't see much, just cops moving in, but you can hear the shooting, and a ton of it.Second shooting on the Va. Tech campus this year. You'd think they'd turn the place in to a fortress, but really, how can you protect every public place...
You really can't. Its not like high school or middle school, when you can just secure the one building as a preventive measure. College campuses are easy targets because they are so wide open and spread out. To a shooter, the students are easy unsuspecting targets and often times, when a situation like this happens, the chaos that ensues, makes it difficult for law enforcement and campus security to grasp what has happened.Just sickening when you hear things like this
You really can't. Its not like high school or middle school, when you can just secure the one building as a preventive measure. College campuses are easy targets because they are so wide open and spread out. To a shooter, the students are easy unsuspecting targets and often times, when a situation like this happens, the chaos that ensues, makes it difficult for law enforcement and campus security to grasp what has happened.Just sickening when you hear things like this
this is really sad....why dont people like this jus kill themselves it is so sick. its confirmed that he killed 32 people. RIP
Its scary as a college student to read stories like this. Makes me think how easily someone could do that at my school and myself and many others would be completely defenseless.
yeah you hit it right on when you said how college campuses are so wide open and then the chaos that ensues makes it so hard for the police and security to figure it out. its sayin on the news that a couple people were killed in a dorm....then one hour later he continued his rampage.
this is really sad....why dont people like this jus kill themselves it is so sick. its confirmed that he killed 32 people. RIP
Is 32 a typo? The Times right now is saying 22. Just wondering if you read a higher number reported somewhere else.

jeezus christ! what a waste of good people. why the hell didn't the shooter go to some bad part of town and waste some undesirables insteadya know like some welfare mom with 15 kids

Is 32 a typo? The Times right now is saying 22. Just wondering if you read a higher number reported somewhere else.
22 is what CNN and MSNBC are both saying as well.

yeah im watchin the news right on Fox. also FBI is investigating whether it could be a possible terrorist attack...doesnt sound too likely that it was to me though. guess that is probably why i am not in the FBI

jeezus christ! what a waste of good people. why the hell didn't the shooter go to some bad part of town and waste some undesirables insteadya know like some welfare mom with 15 kids
Come on man, thats not needed. Its a tragedy regardless of who was killed. Its sad that some people feel that there is nothing left of their lives and they go commit a senseless act of violence like this. Horrible horrible
yeah im watchin the news right on Fox. also FBI is investigating whether it could be a possible terrorist attack...doesnt sound too likely that it was to me though. guess that is probably why i am not in the FBI
This was the first thing I thought. Seems like a very simple and effective way to kill a lot of people and strike terror. I just saw a report that the shooter was a "college-age" asian male. Does anyone have confirmation on 32? Far as I know its 22, with 4 injured.

Well yeah, its scary for everyone, but when you go to a big university like Va Tech, you just get to thinking how it could happen on your campus tomorrow and you have no way of preventing it. I understand that it could happen anywhere, all I'm saying is when you live on college campus and hear a story like this, it scares the **** ouf of ya.I go to the university of Iowa and we've actually had a campus shooting before, so it really struck home.

This was the first thing I thought. Seems like a very simple and effective way to kill a lot of people and strike terror. I just saw a report that the shooter was a "college-age" asian male. Does anyone have confirmation on 32? Far as I know its 22, with 4 injured.
could be a homegrown terrorist i guess....there are definitely crazy people who convert to islam and become violent lunatics.
MSNBC has 22 dead, 28 injured, suspect dead.