What does everyone think of that hit? That is the second time he has put someone on a stretcher.
I watched the replay at least 10 times. It was a good hit. Eaves buried his head, 90% of the contact was body to body, and I bet the concussion was a 'cous contra cous' concussion- i.e. it was from Eaves head snapping back rather than a blow to the head... Good hit, no penalty, no supplemental discipline....

It's not dirty, it's completely clean, and within the rules.It's unfortunate that hits to the head are legal, but it's Eaves problem for keeping his head down.Army is 180 pounds, he's a beast!

so what does everyone think of him in general? if, hypothetically, you owned him in an AHL-type pool, at a reasonable, but not excellent contract, would you resign him to a 5-year contract? Is he likely to be a guy who puts up close to a point per game in the next 5 years, or is he stuck on the penalty kill and behind all those talented Pens and not likely to be a big points guy.

Probably not... but targetting key players like that with illegal plays is just plain wrong.
If Chris Neil wasn't so convinced that he's a goal scorer, he would have realized that his role is to make Armstrong understand that running Emery is not polite...

It was a perfectly clean hit, and I have no doubt that Patrick Eaves will say so once someone asks him. You keep your head up in hockey, they teach you that when you're still skating around with folding chairs.

It was a perfectly clean hit, and I have no doubt that Patrick Eaves will say so once someone asks him. You keep your head up in hockey, they teach you that when you're still skating around with folding chairs.
They also teach you that checking is a tool to take the puck away from somebody. It should not be used as a means to target someone in an attempt to injure. I don't mind bodychecking, but Colby Armstrong is an opportunist who is looking to injure opponents. He shows a complete lack of respect.
I think Colby Armstrong is a typical example of what is wrong with the NHL right now.Armstrong hit on Letowski
I was actually just thinking a similar thing after watching one of the Ottawa players (Schubert?) level one of the Pittsburgh players late in the game. He got him from behind, but it wasn't an overly dirty yet. And yet, when one of the Pens, and not a fighter, grabs him and wanted to drop the gloves, the Ottawa player backed away.All it was was one of the Pens players defending his teammate. The Sens player wasn't physically overmatched, and he wasn't a star player by any means. And yet he still refused to get involved with 3 minutes left in the game. To me, that is something seriously wrong. Because of guys like that, teams have to employ guys like McGrattan and Belak, who are nothing but boxers, and take up roster spots from genuinely talented players. With players like that, hockey is nothing but fancy skating with a boxing sideshow.p.s. according to Kara Yorio, the Hawks could deal the #1 pick. Gruven, is that even possible? Is my hatred of Ms Yorio justified, or does she occasionally have some clue what she's talking about.
They also teach you that checking is a tool to take the puck away from somebody. It should not be used as a means to target someone in an attempt to injure. I don't mind bodychecking, but Colby Armstrong is an opportunist who is looking to injure opponents. He shows a complete lack of respect.
Was I the only one who saw Eaves heading for the front of Pittsburgh's net with the puck on his stick? It's not like Armstrong tattooed him out of the normal course of play, the guy had the puck and then he didn't anymore. I don't believe for a second that Armstrong meant to hurt him, he meant to dish out a big hit and in doing so Eaves got hurt because he had his head down. Anyone who saw Colby's face after he saw that Eaves wasn't getting up couldn't possibly think he was looking to injure a fellow player. Big hits are part of the game, and whether they'll admit it or not, the NHL will get a lot of mileage out of that one (same way they got a lot of mileage out of Brian Campbell vs RJ Umberger last season).
Was I the only one who saw Eaves heading for the front of Pittsburgh's net with the puck on his stick? It's not like Armstrong tattooed him out of the normal course of play, the guy had the puck and then he didn't anymore. I don't believe for a second that Armstrong meant to hurt him, he meant to dish out a big hit and in doing so Eaves got hurt because he had his head down. Anyone who saw Colby's face after he saw that Eaves wasn't getting up couldn't possibly think he was looking to injure a fellow player. Big hits are part of the game, and whether they'll admit it or not, the NHL will get a lot of mileage out of that one (same way they got a lot of mileage out of Brian Campbell vs RJ Umberger last season).
Scott Stevens wasn't looking to hurt the guys cutting into the middle either I guess. It is possible to check a guy without going for the kill. Armstrong has shown in the past that he is always looking for the big hit on that play.

This thread got retarded.There is nothing wrong with the Armstrong hit. It's as clean a bodycheck as you will see in the NHL, and so are all of the ones linked above. Saying he's an opportunist is a joke. Hitting is a part of the game, and if you can't keep your head up, that's your own problem. Furthermore, hits like that help the Pens defensively because now Sens players know they have to keep their head up for the freight train coming. And, he's not a big guy. He's like 5'11" 180, tops, from memory, anyways.Furthermore, as Danny mentioned about the Ottawa player, after hitting Scuderi from behind, he goes and runs and hides, etc, while EVERY SINGLE TIME Armstrong hits someone CLEAN, he is always ready to drop the gloves if he has to.****************Now, the run on Emery, on the other hand, did cross the line. He definitely didn't have time to get out of the way once he took the shot, but he should have made an attempt, rather than run him as hard as possible.

This thread got retarded.There is nothing wrong with the Armstrong hit. It's as clean a bodycheck as you will see in the NHL, and so are all of the ones linked above. Saying he's an opportunist is a joke. Hitting is a part of the game, and if you can't keep your head up, that's your own problem. Furthermore, hits like that help the Pens defensively because now Sens players know they have to keep their head up for the freight train coming. And, he's not a big guy. He's like 5'11" 180, tops, from memory, anyways.Furthermore, as Danny mentioned about the Ottawa player, after hitting Scuderi from behind, he goes and runs and hides, etc, while EVERY SINGLE TIME Armstrong hits someone CLEAN, he is always ready to drop the gloves if he has to.****************Now, the run on Emery, on the other hand, did cross the line. He definitely didn't have time to get out of the way once he took the shot, but he should have made an attempt, rather than run him as hard as possible.
Where did I say the hit was against the rules?The Schubert hit on Scuderi is another example of the lack of respect. And Murray has instructed his players not to fight when they have a lead late in the game.How do you feel about the Radulov hit on Bernier?
So, a Colby poke check is the proper play there?

I'd say Colby's job is a guy that's supposed to get under the other teams skin but I don't think he is a dirty player. The hit yesterday was clean. Hockey is a rough sport and if you put your head down like that you're going to get hurt. Kids are taught that at a very young age. It's unfortunate that it happend and I doubt Colby felt good about it but it is still part of the game.There was no intent to injure but if the Sens are going to finish their checks how can the Pens not be expected to do the same thing.Chris Neil is an *** by the way.

The Schubert hit on Scuderi is another example of the lack of respect. And Murray has instructed his players not to fight when they have a lead late in the game.
If this is the case, Murray should be coaching Sale and Pelletier, and not a league where fighting is considered part of the game.
Where did I say the hit was against the rules?The Schubert hit on Scuderi is another example of the lack of respect. And Murray has instructed his players not to fight when they have a lead late in the game.How do you feel about the Radulov hit on Bernier?
I did not think it was that dirty. A penalty yes maybe but a suspension no. It looked like Bernier never even hit his head on the boards/glass. My guess is that Bernier was playing with a bad back/ribs or neck or something in that area for him to react the way he did.