An Atheist Scientist Turns To God

I'd be interested to read it.*edit - Just to make sure I'm clear here - I'd be interested to read it because I'm interested in people and their stories, not because I think the story would make you any less crazy. :club:
I wouldn't expect anything less. The crazy label is much deserved. I like to think of it as "willing to take that extra step mentally" but I can see how that could translate to crazy. I will spend the hour or so tonight doing that post when the kid goes to bed and the wife is still at work. Should give me time to focus.
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you say its the Transfiguration and Loismustdie says its the ascension.Can you guys get your stories straight?At least your transfiguration story looks a little better than his, however its still a desperate attempt at circumventing logic.Let's start with Matthew. He says: There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. It ties very nicely with the verses above . Verse 27, the very verse prior, speaks of Jesus coming with his angels to judge. Then we have 28 talking again about Jesus coming whilst in heaven. Much better than those following. Even the 3rd grade English teacher you so politely pointed me towards could show you that. The verses that follow talk of Jesus glowing and talking to Moses and Elias. No angels, no Son in heaven.Then there is this mysterious, 'some of you will not die before', which is a ridiculous thing to say if you are talking about an event that is happening in a week.Moreso it states that some will not die, which sensibly suggests some will. How many disciples died in the next 8 days? Luke says until they see the Kingdom of God. Did they see the kingdom of God? Nope, they see a shiny Jesus and a talking cloud. Again no other disciples dying.Mark: That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. Same results. Lots of healthy disciplesAll 3 fit better with the verses above. All 3 describe seeing the Kingdom of God with Matthew stating that Jesus would be in it. None of them describe anything like that happening at the transfiguration.This is all further backed by by other places where Jesus promises to return within a generation. As you so kindly pointed out the passages are quite seperate, so to me and any other rational person, he is making the promise more than once. The only thing he forgot to do was keep it.As I said, a bit better than Loismustdie, but still desperate.
I just want to go on record as saying that I was definately incorrect about these verses being about the transfiguration. I should have studied more about it before responding, because you guys all deserve well thought out answers. But Jesus is certainly talking about the coming of the Holy Spirit, which at that time was not on Earth, but came upon the disciples 10 days after his ascension into heaven on Penecost. Read Acts 2.Again, I apologize to everyone involved in this discussion.
I just want to go on record as saying that I was definately incorrect about these verses being about the transfiguration. I should have studied more about it before responding, because you guys all deserve well thought out answers. But Jesus is certainly talking about the coming of the Holy Spirit, which at that time was not on Earth, but came upon the disciples 10 days after his ascension into heaven on Penecost. Read Acts 2.Again, I apologize to everyone involved in this discussion.
Interesting. I never thought of it that way. This is where Athiest fail to "get it." Once you study, even a little, you start to see that the way you may see something from the get go may be wrong, because it conflicts with soemthing else. So, we dig deeper, and we find the answer. Sometimes that takes 10 minutes, sometimes it takes 10 years, and that is the beauty of the journey, the path of understanding that is lost on those that could never take those first steps.
Interesting. I never thought of it that way. This is where Athiest fail to "get it." Once you study, even a little, you start to see that the way you may see something from the get go may be wrong, because it conflicts with soemthing else. So, we dig deeper, and we find the answer. Sometimes that takes 10 minutes, sometimes it takes 10 years, and that is the beauty of the journey, the path of understanding that is lost on those that could never take those first steps.
om ****ing god...lois is describing scienceWOW!!and then he's taking credit for it for his own beliefs!!!that is an atheist's life motto when it comes to science.LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLyou're true idiocy has come to play. I mean, you've been crazy before, but I've given you the benefit of the doubt. But now your ignorance is more then displayed right here in this very post. You have no place to discuss atheist vs. christian because you know nothing about atheists ESPECIALLY saying something about christians that is practically the definition (in an idealist way) of those who study science... and then to say that THAT is what atheists DON'T GET!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLalright, Lois, let me share with you some common knowledge in this world-wide religious debateAtheists = the open, always wondering, always changing and fixing, always learning more, always fixing old broken methods, etc. (science)Christians = announced absolute truths, the truth is already defined, nothing to fix because it is already the word of god, only thing left to learn is more absolute truths of godYour paragraph should be more like
This is where Christians fail to "get it." Once you study, even a little, you start to see that the way you may see something from the get go may be wrong, because it conflicts with soemthing else. So, we dig deeper, and we find the answer. Sometimes that takes 10 minutes, sometimes it takes 10 years, and that is the beauty of the journey, the path of understanding that is lost on those that could never take those first steps.
om ****ing god...lois is describing scienceWOW!!and then he's taking credit for it for his own beliefs!!!that is an atheist's life motto when it comes to science.LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLyou're true idiocy has come to play. I mean, you've been crazy before, but I've given you the benefit of the doubt. But now your ignorance is more then displayed right here in this very post. You have no place to discuss atheist vs. christian because you know nothing about atheists ESPECIALLY saying something about christians that is practically the definition (in an idealist way) of those who study science... and then to say that THAT is what atheists DON'T GET!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLalright, Lois, let me share with you some common knowledge in this world-wide religious debateAtheists = the open, always wondering, always changing and fixing, always learning more, always fixing old broken methods, etc. (science)Christians = announced absolute truths, the truth is already defined, nothing to fix because it is already the word of god, only thing left to learn is more absolute truths of godYour paragraph should be more like
You remind me alot of the guy in Happy Gilmore who followed happy around saying "Jackass." Happy still made the putt, and then the guy went to hell. It was a good movie. Atheist study to eliminate God. I study to give him the glory. My understanding has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with him. That's what you don't get. It's not about me. It's about God. Whereas atheism is nothing but the religion of you. Which is wrong. Always will be- rarely is the time when focus on self betters the whole. You get all happy because I show the ability to admit that I was wrong. How sad. You actually think that will matter? If I didn't grow in understanding, where would be the evidence that the Holy Spirit actually works? Just because one states"I am a man of God" doesn't make him a bastion of understanding, and most men of God realize that. All men of God realzie that growth is constant, but without God that growth would not be possible. They also realize this one thing- that the taunts and ridicule of the unbeliever is just that much more reward in the end, and that much more punishment for the unbeliever. I am sure it will be fine, though. You believe in you- how could you possibly go wrong?

We study to eliminate god? I do? When was this decided?I actually just share common logic, but take it for what you will.

That's what you don't get. It's not about me. It's about God. I study to give him the glory. My understanding has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with him.
This is where Athiest fail to "get it." Once you study, even a little, you start to see that the way you may see something from the get go may be wrong, because it conflicts with soemthing else. So, we dig deeper, and we find the answer. Sometimes that takes 10 minutes, sometimes it takes 10 years, and that is the beauty of the journey, the path of understanding that is lost on those that could never take those first steps.
Not only are you saying what atheists don't get is two completely different things, but then, again, you show your hypocriscy. If proof was possible that god doesn't exist, you're fully prepared to deny it no matter what... the second quote shows you to be an open minded person who is able to accept truth. The first quote shows exactly the opposite of that.Make up your mind, Lois. You can't be open to possibly being wrong and then studying to get it right and ALSO believe in absolute truth. Absolute truth can't be wrong.I'm not happy that you're a hypocrite. I laugh because you spell it out to everyone that you are one. Seriously, you're smart enough to see how stupid you sound saying that you're open to being wrong. You're not open to god not existing. You're not open to it one bit. You prove that statement over and over again and then go and say that you're open to being wrong? What a joke.On the other hand, atheists blatantly say that we don't know and that we're always open to new evidence. And if you want to look at suggestive evidence so far, it points to the obvious statement that there is no need for a god to exist. Does that say there is no god? No. That's why we don't claim that there isn't one. But again, due to our own human knowledge, I, currently, have no reason to believe in god... or the easter bunny... or santa claus... or thor.... or the titans.... or anything of that nature.
We study to eliminate god? I do? When was this decided?I actually just share common logic, but take it for what you will. Not only are you saying what atheists don't get is two completely different things, but then, again, you show your hypocriscy. If proof was possible that god doesn't exist, you're fully prepared to deny it no matter what... the second quote shows you to be an open minded person who is able to accept truth. The first quote shows exactly the opposite of that.Make up your mind, Lois. You can't be open to possibly being wrong and then studying to get it right and ALSO believe in absolute truth. Absolute truth can't be wrong.I'm not happy that you're a hypocrite. I laugh because you spell it out to everyone that you are one. Seriously, you're smart enough to see how stupid you sound saying that you're open to being wrong. You're not open to god not existing. You're not open to it one bit. You prove that statement over and over again and then go and say that you're open to being wrong? What a joke.On the other hand, atheists blatantly say that we don't know and that we're always open to new evidence. And if you want to look at suggestive evidence so far, it points to the obvious statement that there is no need for a god to exist. Does that say there is no god? No. That's why we don't claim that there isn't one. But again, due to our own human knowledge, I, currently, have no reason to believe in god... or the easter bunny... or santa claus... or thor.... or the titans.... or anything of that nature.
The drive to greater understanding WITHIN BIBLICAL perameters is hypocrisy? No. It's paramount. The difference is this: I believe in God. There are times that I may misunderstand, misinterpet, different things within his word. This may be brought to my attention by God himself, through the Holy Spirit, or by people, which is still by God but in a less personal way. One thing never changes, and that is the fact that I believe in God and the understanding that you are denied, he will give to me. If I didn't have that faith, that belief,he would deny me as much as you are denied, I would be stunted as you are. Thankfully, this is not the case. I will never, ever be open to God not existing. He does exist, and I believe that without a single doubt in my mind. He exists and no matter what you do- you could put a Gun to my head, **** the hammer and let me know what is coming and I still would not back down. I would rather die. So do you really think that your insignificant slights and blatant disdane matters? Never in a million years.
We study to eliminate god? I do? When was this decided?I actually just share common logic, but take it for what you will. Not only are you saying what atheists don't get is two completely different things, but then, again, you show your hypocriscy. If proof was possible that god doesn't exist, you're fully prepared to deny it no matter what... the second quote shows you to be an open minded person who is able to accept truth. The first quote shows exactly the opposite of that.Make up your mind, Lois. You can't be open to possibly being wrong and then studying to get it right and ALSO believe in absolute truth. Absolute truth can't be wrong.I'm not happy that you're a hypocrite. I laugh because you spell it out to everyone that you are one. Seriously, you're smart enough to see how stupid you sound saying that you're open to being wrong. You're not open to god not existing. You're not open to it one bit. You prove that statement over and over again and then go and say that you're open to being wrong? What a joke.On the other hand, atheists blatantly say that we don't know and that we're always open to new evidence. And if you want to look at suggestive evidence so far, it points to the obvious statement that there is no need for a god to exist. Does that say there is no god? No. That's why we don't claim that there isn't one. But again, due to our own human knowledge, I, currently, have no reason to believe in god... or the easter bunny... or santa claus... or thor.... or the titans.... or anything of that nature.
Pot, Kettle..... Kettle, Pot
Pot, Kettle..... Kettle, Pot
Good job actually speaking a point. We've all learned something we might not have seen today.THANK YOU JEEBUS
comedian_george_carlin.jpg"RELIGION IS BULLSHIT!!!!"More Religion Wisdom from George Carlin... HERE
Carlin!!! My man!! His **** is hilarious!
Good job actually speaking a point. I've learned something we might not have seen today.THANK YOU JEEBUS
I hope so.
Atheist study to eliminate God. Whereas atheism is nothing but the religion of you.
Atheism isn't about eliminating god, it's about understanding the world we live in and take advantage of that knowledge.And atheism has nothing to do with belief. Why do yo assume you just think about yourself because you don't believe in a god? Do you have to fear punishment to be able to consider others than yourself?
  • 2 weeks later...
I take it in stride. Truth is I enjoy 98% of these conversations, and wish I could just let it go sometimes. I cringe at the word, wisdom, though. Sure, I know some stuff, but I would not call me wise, not even close. I have the next 2 days off- I should post my story in those 2 days. People have asked me to, but it just seems to personal. Maybe I owe it to you all, though. I know I come across as arrogant at times, maybe if some of them heard the whole story they may understand where I am coming from a bit more.
Is this still in the works ??