Yet Another Pope Fails To Grasp How Science Works

This article from the USA Today discusses the current pope's views on evolution. Apparently he wrote that evolution can't be proven. This is such a ridiculous statement it is sad, ranking up there with the church's denial of Galileo.A theory is proven if it makes testable predictions about the behavior of the physical world. There are few theories that have made more accurate and testable predictions than the theory of evolution.The pope also apparently said that "scientific and philosophical reason must work together in a way that does not exclude faith." Once again, this shows a total lack of understanding of what science is. Science is that exploration of the world that EXPLICITLY excludes faith. Welcome to the 4th century A.D., Mr Pope.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an explanation:When you spend all your time flogging bishops and fisting cardinals, you don't have time to keep up with modern science texts.Said for effect. I love Catholics.

I think what he is saying is that he doesn't want to get into a direct fist fight with science, because every time the church has done that, it has gotten its arse completely trounced.He's saying he want's people to accept science where they have to, but still use faith anywhere they feel like it.Ignore that the Bible says the earth is a flat disk... We (the Catholic Church) hold the keys to the kingdom is still a matter of faith.

This article from the USA Today discusses the current pope's views on evolution. Apparently he wrote that evolution can't be proven. This is such a ridiculous statement it is sad, ranking up there with the church's denial of Galileo.A theory is proven if it makes testable predictions about the behavior of the physical world. There are few theories that have made more accurate and testable predictions than the theory of evolution.The pope also apparently said that "scientific and philosophical reason must work together in a way that does not exclude faith." Once again, this shows a total lack of understanding of what science is. Science is that exploration of the world that EXPLICITLY excludes faith. Welcome to the 4th century A.D., Mr Pope.
thank you. The rest of this post is just as uninformed as you think the pope is.hint: You have no idea how the world was created, just a guess.
I think what he is saying is that he doesn't want to get into a direct fist fight with science, because every time the church has done that, it has gotten its arse completely trounced.He's saying he want's people to accept science where they have to, but still use faith anywhere they feel like it.Ignore that the Bible says the earth is a flat disk... We (the Catholic Church) hold the keys to the kingdom is still a matter of faith.
Any books written by L. Ron Hubbard don't count. Of course if you are saying that the actual Bible say the Earth is flat... we, of course, will need a reference to check and see if that is true.hint: The Bible doesn't say that.
Lol. I finally clicked on that link. One of those is a vision(dream), one he is speaking about the Devil and God(who are spirits and not bound by the same laws as you and I), some are allegorical, on is reffering to N, S, E, W- this is what you have been yelling about for 6 months? That's funny. The best part is that it took me about 9 seconds to realize how you had been duped. This is really all it was- some site who has no clue talking to others who are just as clueless. Your'e a smart guy, WrongWay. I have noticed that lately- you are one of the few people who immediately wanted to discuss real issues in connection with the VT shootings. If you want to study the bible, don't go to sites where there only goal is to find whatever b.s. they can find to prove an agenda. You will not get the full story.
Lol. I finally clicked on that link. One of those is a vision(dream), one he is speaking about the Devil and God(who are spirits and not bound by the same laws as you and I), some are allegorical, on is reffering to N, S, E, W- this is what you have been yelling about for 6 months? That's funny. The best part is that it took me about 9 seconds to realize how you had been duped. This is really all it was- some site who has no clue talking to others who are just as clueless. Your'e a smart guy, WrongWay. I have noticed that lately- you are one of the few people who immediately wanted to discuss real issues in connection with the VT shootings. If you want to study the bible, don't go to sites where there only goal is to find whatever b.s. they can find to prove an agenda. You will not get the full story.
Is there any site about religion that doesnt have an agenda. I have found one that is kind of lacking in agenda http://www.religioustolerance.org/ but even they acknowledge their agenda in the belief section.
Is there any site about religion that doesnt have an agenda. I have found one that is kind of lacking in agenda http://www.religioustolerance.org/ but even they acknowledge their agenda in the belief section.
If I wanted to believe almost anything, there is site out there that will validate my belief, somehow, someway. That was my point. The problem with that is that then I would no longer be thinking for myself-the site would be thinking for me. This guy can't stand christianity because he is misinformed by a website, or at least that is his excuse. Truth is when he was looking for the website, he was just looking for a reason.
Well there is the fact that the church believed the earth to be flat before it was proven not to. Kind of the same with evolution (which started this thread). Evolution is proven, now the church just need to realize this and move on trying to make new explanations of their flawed scriptures.
Well there is the fact that the church believed the earth to be flat before it was proven not to. Kind of the same with evolution (which started this thread). Evolution is proven, now the church just need to realize this and move on trying to make new explanations of their flawed scriptures.
What church? Not one person that I have ever met in christianity believes the earth is flat, or ever did. Evolution is proven- things evolve. It is not proven as the source of creation. So, I don't think anybody is worried about proving flawed scripture. Oddly enough, though, you and your thought process is what I think the reason is for VT, so thanks for proving my point 5 days later.
Some of those are pretty weak.
In any case, the earth is not spherical. According to the Scriptures, from a very high spot (heaven, for example) one could see the entire earth such that nothing would be hidden. Such a thing is not possible with a spherical earth as the opposite side can't be seen directly. This implies that the earth is flat. Job 28:24 For he looks to the ends of the earth, and sees everything under the heavens.
I don't think any Christians have the notion that God is just some ordinary guy in a spaceship. Surely observing the other side of the planet is no big trick for a being that created the universe, reads minds, and defies death and time.It's like suggesting the Superman couldn't lift a building because his rotator cuff would tear.
Some of those are pretty weak.I don't think any Christians have the notion that God is just some ordinary guy in a spaceship. Surely observing the other side of the planet is no big trick for a being that created the universe, reads minds, and defies death and time.It's like suggesting the Superman couldn't lift a building because his rotator cuff would tear.
Although, since I am a big fan of spaceships, that would be cool.
What church? Not one person that I have ever met in christianity believes the earth is flat, or ever did.
The way you shaped that answer, not one person that I have ever meet. I dont know your age but even if you were 70 you still missed that time by at least 1000 yr
It's like suggesting the Superman couldn't lift a building because his rotator cuff would tear.
No everyone knows superman couldnt lift it because he was killed by doomsday. oh and spoiler alert for above.
The way you shaped that answer, not one person that I have ever meet. I dont know your age but even if you were 70 you still missed that time by at least 1000 yrNo everyone knows superman couldnt lift it because he was killed by doomsday. oh and spoiler alert for above.
Maybe it is just me, but the whole world not that long ago believed the earth was flat. That's not a biblical thing, the bible doesn't say that, that is a perception thing,ie that's all we knew. It took certain discoveries, through certain people- can you name them?-to prove that out. If you lived 2000 years ago you would believe the earth was flat as well. You might as well just say that a long time ago, there were things people did not know. That's the only point you have made, it's not an argument against the bible, though, it is a reflection on history.
The way you shaped that answer, not one person that I have ever meet. I dont know your age but even if you were 70 you still missed that time by at least 1000 yrNo everyone knows superman couldnt lift it because he was killed by doomsday. oh and spoiler alert for above.
Maybe it is just me, but the whole world not that long ago believed the earth was flat. That's not a biblical thing, the bible doesn't say that, that is a perception thing,ie that's all we knew. It took certain discoveries, through certain people- can you name them?-to prove that out. If you lived 2000 years ago you would believe the earth was flat as well. You might as well just say that a long time ago, there were things people did not know. That's the only point you have made, it's not an argument against the bible, though, it is a reflection on history.
Actually I would say it was a long time ago that the earth was considered flat and not spherical (the roundness of earth was proven in the first centruy).Look up flat earth on Wikipedia to see a list of christian scholars that disagreed with the notion of a round earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth#The_Early_Church. However I will say that it does not seem like the church fought for a flat earth viewpoint like others (the idea of the earth as center of the universe).I will agree with the assertion that the earth being flat was not a nessecarily christian worldview. The greeks and romans also believed in a flat earth.
Actually I would say it was a long time ago that the earth was considered flat and not spherical (the roundness of earth was proven in the first centruy).Look up flat earth on Wikipedia to see a list of christian scholars that disagreed with the notion of a round earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth#The_Early_Church. However I will say that it does not seem like the church fought for a flat earth viewpoint like others (the idea of the earth as center of the universe).I will agree with the assertion that the earth being flat was not a nessecarily christian worldview. The greeks and romans also believed in a flat earth.
I could not care less what the church thought about a flat earth- all I can go by is I don't believe it is an issue biblically- bible does not disagree with the earth being round. Who is "The Church",anyway? The bible actually says things that went against the knowledge of its time- "hangeth the earth upon nothing", etc. Nobody wants to talk about that,though, they would rather argue about absolutely nothing.
I could not care less what the church thought about a flat earth- all I can go by is I don't believe it is an issue biblically- bible does not disagree with the earth being round. Who is "The Church",anyway? The bible actually says things that went against the knowledge of its time- "hangeth the earth upon nothing", etc. Nobody wants to talk about that,though, they would rather argue about absolutely nothing.
The Church would be the catholic church which had huge control in Europe (come on, I think if you read the link you knew which church I was refering too). I was just pointing out that there were christians did believe that the earth was not spherical. You earlier posts seem to suggest it was a complete non-issue, I am saying that it was a issue, but not as much as certain other issues that arose.Also I'm not certain what your arguing in the second sentence. Does the bible say the earth hangeth on nothing or does it disargee with that statement? I would think one can argue that the earth does hangeth on something (at least gravational pull right?)
The Church would be the catholic church which had huge control in Europe (come on, I think if you read the link you knew which church I was refering too). I was just pointing out that there were christians did believe that the earth was not spherical. You earlier posts seem to suggest it was a complete non-issue, I am saying that it was a issue, but not as much as certain other issues that arose.Also I'm not certain what your arguing in the second sentence. Does the bible say the earth hangeth on nothing or does it disargee with that statement? I would think one can argue that the earth does hangeth on something (at least gravational pull right?)
The Catholic Church is not where God resides, never has, so, yes I asked the question, and never even looked the the link, didn't need to. I know who "The Church" is, I just wanted to hear you say it, and hear you basically say that The Catholic Church speaks for christianity. They don't- what they teach doesn't even match up with christianity. They are not christians.That, however, is a whole other issue. Gravity is something. Except it isn't. It's not something you can see, and the belief when that scripture was written was all kinds of thing, but not that it was just suspended in air. So, basically,the person who wrote that wrote is as a fact, yet had no way of knowing that. Incidentally, if the Catholics actually used scripture they would have realized that. They don't. Again, another issue.
The Catholic Church is not where God resides, never has, so, yes I asked the question, and never even looked the the link, didn't need to. I know who "The Church" is, I just wanted to hear you say it, and hear you basically say that The Catholic Church speaks for christianity. They don't- what they teach doesn't even match up with christianity. They are not christians.That, however, is a whole other issue. Gravity is something. Except it isn't. It's not something you can see, and the belief when that scripture was written was all kinds of thing, but not that it was just suspended in air. So, basically,the person who wrote that wrote is as a fact, yet had no way of knowing that. Incidentally, if the Catholics actually used scripture they would have realized that. They don't. Again, another issue.
come on you have to say they were the church back when st peter was at the helm
What church? Not one person that I have ever met in christianity believes the earth is flat, or ever did.Evolution is proven- things evolve. It is not proven as the source of creation. So, I don't think anybody is worried about proving flawed scripture.Oddly enough, though, you and your thought process is what I think the reason is for VT, so thanks for proving my point 5 days later.
The bolded part is just dumb, I hope you were joking.Italic: It has been concluded that life started out as single cell organisms that over time has evolved into what we have today, not adam and eve.Underlined: What are you talking about? Care to explain, what thought process lead to the VT shooting? I would never in a million years do what he did, so how come my thoughts are the reason?And yes, the Catholic church is the first church. It was the church started by Jesus' apostles? "The Roman Catholic Church or Catholic Church (see terminology below) is the Christian Church in full communion with the Bishop of Rome, currently Pope Benedict XVI. It traces its origins to the original Christian community founded by Jesus Christ and led by the Twelve Apostles, in particular Saint Peter."So, how come this isn't a christian church? What is the true christian church according to you? Westboro Baptist Church?
Question, how do I know that you speak for Christianity?Ok, Lois, too be fair I know that you have disargeements with the catholics and their history (and probably a great portion of those crititiques are justified). But who exactly are you to say they are not christians. If your going to say "they do not teach a brand of christanity I believe in" fine. Why should I trust that you have the ability to see who the christians are and are not? Then again, I disagree with you on spirital matters many times, so I guess I'm not a christian anyway either.I've decided to let God decide who is and is not a Christian, I know Lois what a silly idea.
The Catholic Church is not where God resides, never has, so, yes I asked the question, and never even looked the the link, didn't need to. I know who "The Church" is, I just wanted to hear you say it, and hear you basically say that The Catholic Church speaks for christianity. They don't- what they teach doesn't even match up with christianity. They are not christians.That, however, is a whole other issue.
Suppose there wasn't a Roman Catholic Church. I think there's a pretty good chance that you and I would never have heard of Jesus or the gospels. Doesn't that organization get a little credit for that, even if they've collected some doctrines you disagree with?