Bro, you got a duty to set some of these kids straight. It dawned on me tonight, as I browsed some topics, that the kids that frequent these forums are babies, not poker-wise, but life-wise. Poker-wise, they are Doyle Brunsons (70 year olds with more poker knowledge than Chip and Doyle combined), life-wise they are staring out of the bars of a crib at the real world beyond, unable to fathom a normal life, relegated to gambler's codes and gambler's realities. You're pretty upfront about most issues, but when it comes to poker, and the gambler's life in general, I've noticed that you tend to glamorize it, or rather gloss it over with your own diluted lens of poker success. Only a small percentage of top tier players, such as yourself, actually benefit from the glamorous aspects of poker. Conceivably even a successful player will go months sometimes years without big scores, and the swings are generally unmangeable if you have familial obligations. Moreover, even a relatively successful player will have to deal with an unorthodox lifestyle, which if given the choice would not be the best life decision, even if the game became financially productive. You had no choices (poker chose you in many ways), some of these kids have choices unlike you did. I still admire people who have earned the title of doctor, over a person with a WSOP or WPT bracelet, in real life, give or take the millions they'll squander later gambling for a living--I can admire that above and beyond degrees and accolades, but i'm a degenerate in that aspect. hahaIt's no accident that some of the better players coming up lately are players with zero choices. You witnessed FCP's own Alvarado, an academic failure with nothing to lose, who managed to parlay his poker skills into a small fortune. "Small" in the sense that he's still a lower-tier player; and he may always be as such. Poker has become the proverbial "crack rock" or the "wicked jump shot", in the immortal words of Notorious B.I.G.--a quick way to make a living, a quick way to get in. The great players have always been the one's with nothing to lose: Stu Ungar immediately comes to mind. At times, I'm waiting for you to set some of these kids straight. We've heard all the one-liners, six months paid, etc. etc. But it would behoove your younger fan-base to expose some of the realities of poker as a lifestyle. Even at your level, I'm sure you sometimes wish you had a more conventional lifestyle at times, explaining away your 1 in 10 success. Revisit your old article "Should I Turn Pro", and rewrite something with all your wisdom intact, with your successes in the past three years, and seriously, objectively give potential doctors, lawyers, architects and medical research scientists advice on whether your life, as a "professional poker player" is the option they should choose over the alternatives they have presented in front of them.I'm sure parents around the world would appreciate an accurate portrayal to their impressionable kids.

Word. I enjoy poker and for a while thought I had what it takes to be a big winner. Turns out I'm only a winner and I haven't got the head to remain calm when things aren't going my way.I'm very glad I stayed in school and now I only have about one month of work left on my master thesis. Poker is an awesome game, but it can really screw up your life.

I don't think that its Daniel's responsibility to set people straight. Sure he is an inspirational figure for many and a role model for others. But I know that Daniel has said before that poker is not for everyone and it can be a very daunting profession. He writes about his life and his experiences and throws in bits of advice along the way.While I agree that it is admirable to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc. and many of these kids have distorted views on reality, I don't think its DN's responsibility to constantly remind people (more than he already does) that poker is not a lifestyle fit for everyone.As far as glamorizing poker as a lifestyle, that couldnt be further from the truth. Yes he has spoken about his successes, winnings, and positives of being a poker player, DN also touches on the negative.I have seen many blogs dealing with how much he has been stuck moneywise, frustrations from losing, the toll it takes on you to be a poker player full time. The constant travel, jetlag, screwed up sleeping patterns, the whole works. He never once says, being a poker pro is the best life ever and I recommend it to everyone because its so easy.Daniel has and constantly does heed warnings to his readers, but you cant expect every blog to have a disclaimer.

as for the OP's point. Daniel's only duty is to provide for himself and his family. If people think they can make money trying poker, who is he to crush their dreams? Besides, the more donkeys, the better it is for him to make a living. It's a competitive "business" so why not have more people doing it that can't do it well? It would behoove him for more bad players to play.It's not like he's campaigning for bad players to quit their jobs.Step off the soapbox, and worry about you. Just my thoughts on it.

as for the OP's point. Daniel's only duty is to provide for himself and his family. If people think they can make money trying poker, who is he to crush their dreams? Besides, the more donkeys, the better it is for him to make a living. It's a competitive "business" so why not have more people doing it that can't do it well? It would behoove him for more bad players to play.It's not like he's campaigning for bad players to quit their jobs.Step off the soapbox, and worry about you. Just my thoughts on it.
I concur, Ron Mexico is a fine individual with an impeccable reputation for telling it like it is
Bro, you got a duty to set some of these kids straight. He does? Says who?It dawned on me tonight, as I browsed some topics, that the kids that frequent these forums are babies, not poker-wise, but life-wise. Poker-wise, they are Doyle Brunsons (70 year olds with more poker knowledge than Chip and Doyle combined), life-wise they are staring out of the bars of a crib at the real world beyond, unable to fathom a normal life, relegated to gambler's codes and gambler's realities. They ARE? Do you realize how insulting this remark is?You're pretty upfront about most issues, but when it comes to poker, and the gambler's life in general, I've noticed that you tend to glamorize it, or rather gloss it over with your own diluted lens of poker success. Nice insult to the mans profession. Good Job.Only a small percentage of top tier players, such as yourself, actually benefit from the glamorous aspects of poker. Conceivably even a successful player will go months sometimes years without big scores, and the swings are generally unmangeable if you have familial obligations. Moreover, even a relatively successful player will have to deal with an unorthodox lifestyle, which if given the choice would not be the best life decision, even if the game became financially productive. You had no choices (poker chose you in many ways), some of these kids have choices unlike you did. And you know this how?I still admire people who have earned the title of doctor, over a person with a WSOP or WPT bracelet, in real life, give or take the millions they'll squander later gambling for a living--I can admire that above and beyond degrees and accolades, but i'm a degenerate in that aspect. hahaIt's no accident that some of the better players coming up lately are players with zero choices. You witnessed FCP's own Alvarado, an academic failure with nothing to lose, Again....WRONG...who managed to parlay his poker skills into a small fortune. "Small" in the sense that he's still a lower-tier player; and he may always be as such. ZOMG, what are you smoking dude? The guys up like 750K in 8 months, recognized by Cardplayer, is in the hunt for POY, has made multiple WPT final tabels, etc. Lower tier ....lol!Poker has become the proverbial "crack rock" or the "wicked jump shot", in the immortal words of Notorious B.I.G.--a quick way to make a living, a quick way to get in. The great players have always been the one's with nothing to lose: Stu Ungar immediately comes to mind. At times, I'm waiting for you to set some of these kids straight.Not his job.We've heard all the one-liners, six months paid, etc. etc. But it would behoove your younger fan-base to expose some of the realities of poker as a lifestyle. Even at your level, I'm sure you sometimes wish you had a more conventional lifestyle at times, explaining away your 1 in 10 success. Revisit your old article "Should I Turn Pro", and rewrite something with all your wisdom intact, with your successes in the past three years, and seriously, objectively give potential doctors, lawyers, architects and medical research scientists advice on whether your life, as a "professional poker player" is the option they should choose over the alternatives they have presented in front of them.Don't you think that people this smart can figure this out on their own?I'm sure parents around the world would appreciate an accurate portrayal to their impressionable kids.
Word. I enjoy poker and for a while thought I had what it takes to be a big winner. Turns out I'm only a winner and I haven't got the head to remain calm when things aren't going my way.I'm very glad I stayed in school and now I only have about one month of work left on my master thesis. Poker is an awesome game, but it can really screw up your life.
WOW! You figured this out all on your own, without Daniel spelling it out for you?Amazing...
Agreed.
Poker-wise, they are Doyle Brunsons (70 year olds with more poker knowledge than Chip and Doyle combined)
Uh, can we not? Respect where it's due, please.As far as I'm concerned, the main reason to get a liberal education is that it helps you realize there's more to life than TV, hookers, and blow. But if you don't have an innate curiosity about the world and desire to learn, no academic forcefeeding is going to help you. Consider the following case studies: a boring loser with a blue collar job; a boring loser with a MA who pushes papers all day; a boring loser with an armful of WSOP bracelets. Guess what? THEY'RE ALL BORING LOSERS! Put another way, your life should be much more than your annual income or the sum total of your credentials.Education is vitally important, and I agree 100% that young people should stay in school and save turning pro for later. But I see absolutely zero value (and no point whatsoever) in being a "professional" lawyer, accountant, broker, etc. if you aren't really passionate about it. Why grind away at something you can't stand just to be respectable? Why "settle down" with a family in the suburbs just because it's what all the other duller-than-dirt people you know do?IT'S YOUR LIFE, have the courage to live it on your own terms. **** "normal" and everything it stands for.

The OP expressed his opinion and it's well written and thought out. The importance of an education can never be emphasized enough, however I'm not sure how you can expect kids to not be babies life-wise, they're kids. Life isn't easy and it'll kick your a.ss every chance it gets. They'll learn this on their own, eventually.

As far as I'm concerned, the main reason to get a liberal education is that it helps you realize there's more to life than TV, hookers, and blow. But if you don't have an innate curiosity about the world and desire to learn, no academic forcefeeding is going to help you.
Isn't that what Liberals believe in? That and Baby Murders. I could have swore I saw Ted Kennedy say that once....
WOW! You figured this out all on your own, without Daniel spelling it out for you?Amazing...
YEAH! Ain't I awesome!!!On a more serious note, I was just trying to put a personal touch on my response, if you'd studied what makes a good text and what people react to in a text you'd know why.
your life should be much more than your annual income or the sum total of your credentials.IT'S YOUR LIFE, have the courage to live it on your own terms. **** "normal" and everything it stands for.
Completely agreeing with what you have said - the OP also has a point. But - people learn from experience, so, there isn't much to tell anyone who isn't asking.
YEAH! Ain't I awesome!!!On a more serious note, I was just trying to put a personal touch on my response, if you'd studied what makes a good text and what people react to in a text you'd know why.
he was supporting your statement, saying that you know that poker is a risky business, and you didnt have to be told that. he was taking a jab at the OP.
  • 2 weeks later...

ever venture off the strip in vegas. There are alot of older gamblers that didnt make it. Gambling has been a draw for many generations now is only different in the number of players. I have adult kids and I was unable to tell them what they should do and nobody will be able to tell these kids. They have to learn on there own. Come to think of it my folks tried to get me to go to colledge as well. I didnt listen either.