I Have A Unique Problem

I am a very decent poker player but I have a severe problem facing me: I am a student so poker is a an useful source of income for me, the main problem is I cannot afford to risk to much money at anyone time so this greatly effects the level i can play at. For example I recently cashed out my poker balance due to my exams coming up in may, The balance was around 1200$ ok now heres my fundamental problem when I go to re load my account I can really only put in around 300$ due to the expenses i have as a student and the potential risk factor ie I cant afford to lose 1000$. so with a 300$ bank roll i cant play at my preferred 2/4$ level yet playing at 25/50 cent is not really profitable enough even though its correct bank roll management. I had the idea to buy into a 1/2$ cash game but only for 50 $ a time , has anyone tried to implement this strategy ? and has it worked? I am a good player and I nearly always make a profit but I find it pointless to play at like 25/50 cent level or even 50/1 to a certain extent. I really want to build my bank roll so I can play at a reasonable level does anyone have any advice as how I can do this effectively. thanks very much everyone.taffer92
Since you are being cranky about good advice, and only want your direct question answered, I'll answer it.YES. I have tried to implement it. Thousands of people have tried to implement it. Most have failed. Here's the reason why:1) Your risk of ruin is so high that you will probably fail2) Assuming you don't fail, you'll win. Then you'll think that's the way to go, and move up before you're ready, AGAIN playing too high for your roll, and that will probably fail.3) If you don't fail on #2, you'll do the same thing again at a HIGHER level, and probably fail.4) All that being aside, most who think they're as good as you think you are, aren't, making the chance of #1-3 failing even more prevelant than already described.5) If you "really want to build your bank roll so you can play at a reasonable level" then F'IN FOLLOW PROPER BANKROLL MANAGEMENT as described by several posters in this very thread.6) If you are not willing to do #5, then expect at the very least, #1-3 to occur, and possibly #1-4. If they don't, then you went on a sick hot run, and you better start practicing proper bankroll management, or your risk of ruin will approach 100% if you're not careful.Class dismissed.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for posting in caps didnt realize at all lol . now please back on topic no one has really answered my question properly
I think you've gotten quite a few different responses that could help you. Basically, sound advice is playing within your bankroll, and if you have enough confidence in your play that you can conquer the demon we mortals all know of as "variance", then hell, give it a go at whatever limits you want. The post about having 375 for 25max and yadda yadda... I think that's the kind of strategy you should be using. GL and PWYGBjk about the PWYGB.ahhh the irony if you don't know what that means.
Sorry for posting in caps didnt realize at all lol . now please back on topic no one has really answered my question properly
Because your question amounts to ......Should I drive a car at 70 mph in a 35 mph zone OR on the highway at 120 mph in a 60 mph zone ?No responsible player, who understands bankroll management and practices it themselves, is going to tell you that it is okay to ignore basic bankroll management principles just because you feel that playing micros is beneath you. Is it possible for you to play 1/2 buying in for $50 and do okay ? Sure. Is it possible that you will go busto very quickly ? Yup.
Because your question amounts to ......Should I drive a car at 70 mph in a 35 mph zone OR on the highway at 120 mph in a 60 mph zone ?
The highway, definately.There's less chance of killing pedestrians... also, if you happen to know some truckers, you can use them to block off the pursuing police officers, ala Smokey and The Bandit.

Ok after careful consideration of the evidence I have decided you guys are right ,my impatience will be my downfall Ill just have to slog it out at the crappy 25/50 cent level which for me is quite humiliating ,but yes its the only way, I might have one crack at 1/2 but ill stick to the cursed 25/50 cent. thanks very much everyone who helped me on this any more constructive information would still be appreciated.

I am a very decent poker player but I have a severe problem facing me: I am a student so poker is a an useful source of income for me, the main problem is I cannot afford to risk to much money at anyone time so this greatly effects the level i can play at. For example I recently cashed out my poker balance due to my exams coming up in may, The balance was around 1200$ ok now heres my fundamental problem when I go to re load my account I can really only put in around 300$ due to the expenses i have as a student and the potential risk factor ie I cant afford to lose 1000$. so with a 300$ bank roll i cant play at my preferred 2/4$ level yet playing at 25/50 cent is not really profitable enough even though its correct bank roll management. I had the idea to buy into a 1/2$ cash game but only for 50 $ a time , has anyone tried to implement this strategy ? and has it worked? I am a good player and I nearly always make a profit but I find it pointless to play at like 25/50 cent level or even 50/1 to a certain extent. I really want to build my bank roll so I can play at a reasonable level does anyone have any advice as how I can do this effectively. thanks very much everyone.taffer92
Spend more time on your studies. I would not wish the poker life on my worst enemy.Beyond that, get a real job, you'll be more employable, and if you decide to go the degenerate route, full-time, at least you'll know a way to grind out a new bankroll without begging for money (which in the world of poker we call "staking or backing"). Focus on school, get a real job or a paid internship in your field of choice.
The highway, definately.There's less chance of killing pedestrians... also, if you happen to know some truckers, you can use them to block off the pursuing police officers, ala Smokey and The Bandit.
that is a great movie.
Spend more time on your studies. I would not wish the poker life on my worst enemy.Beyond that, get a real job, you'll be more employable, and if you decide to go the degenerate route, full-time, at least you'll know a way to grind out a new bankroll without begging for money (which in the world of poker we call "staking or backing"). Focus on school, get a real job or a paid internship in your field of choice.
The most I ever want poker to be is some extra cash ,I never would want to be a full time pro , not in a million years but part time it would be a great way to supplement my income like I have done for college this year.
Profit-taking from poker winnings is not a unique problem.
Profit-taking from poker winnings is not a unique problem.
Thats not the unique problem , the problem is how does a player of substantial quality build up a big bankroll from scratch, it's not as easy as one would think.
Thats not the unique problem , the problem is how does a player of substantial quality build up a big bankroll from scratch, it's not as easy as one would think.
doesnotcomputevz4.jpg
I make money!
Speaking of which, can I borrow $10? I'll like totally pay you back whenever or something, and anyways what the hell dude, you're totally rich now, it's not like $10 means anything to you, come on man WHAT THE FUCK I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!!!jk
THAT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE I JUST HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY CAST IRON INFO ON WHAT TO DO THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS : 1 BUY IN FOR 50$ AT 1/2 NL 2 PLAY LIKE 25/50 CENT AT MAX BUY IN BOTH ARE BAD BUT I THINK THAT AT 1/2 I CAN MAKE A BIGGER PROFIT AND I STILL HAVE 25 BIG BLINDS I WOULD JUST HAVE TO PLAY IT MORE LIKE A TOURNAMENT THAN A CASH GAME
Why are you crying and moaning? I've built up my roll from like 200 to 1k in the last 2 weeks playing 25nl, then when i hit 400 moved up to 50nl. Wah wah, I'm too good for 50 max, wah wah. WTF I don't get it. You probably suck at poker.

I promise you I dont suck at poker I just cant stand playing at the lower levels with the retards its tedious but the general consensus is I will have to if i want to make a profit so thats what I am going to do.

I promise you I dont suck at poker I just cant stand playing at the lower levels with the retards its tedious but the general consensus is I will have to if i want to make a profit so thats what I am going to do.
Take your 133 IQ and your lack of talent at poker and shove them up your Euro-trash ***. :club:
Take your 133 IQ and your lack of talent at poker and shove them up your Euro-trash ***. :club:
hahahahaOP you are asking how to make money gambling with no risk....Grind it up or take a shot. Those really are the only two options.
You are right I just wondered if there was an alternative method but everyones advice has been spot on I think , 25/50 cent here I come lol.
I would be most obliged if you would post your screen name and the poker sites on which you will be playing so we can follow your progress.
THAT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUEit's just no one will tell me what I want to hear :club: you just don't know that I'm incredibly skilled. luck and variance don't apply to me.
fyp
It's very easy if you're good.You, unfortunately, have almost no chance of succeeding.
I wouldn't play 5/10 with less then $25,000 min. Variance get higher, the high you more up, not a whole lot of dead money at that level.
WHOA! I disagree with that! Specifically on 'Stars, I agree, but alot of other sites have alot of dead money gamblers at the higher stakes.Btw, I haven't read the whole thread but it sounds like this guy is taking the piss. But if you are interested on buying in short, I think it is profitable. Buy into 1/2 shorthanded for 40, wait for AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ and push after someone raises. I always try to play in a game where there is alot of pre flop raising so this strategy can be easier to implement. It's alot less profitable to do it against a bunch of knits.Also, I'm an expert at buying in short in big games with a limited bankroll :club: If only kings held up against queens...