I Have A Unique Problem

I am a very decent poker player but I have a severe problem facing me: I am a student so poker is a an useful source of income for me, the main problem is I cannot afford to risk to much money at anyone time so this greatly effects the level i can play at. For example I recently cashed out my poker balance due to my exams coming up in may, The balance was around 1200$ ok now heres my fundamental problem when I go to re load my account I can really only put in around 300$ due to the expenses i have as a student and the potential risk factor ie I cant afford to lose 1000$. so with a 300$ bank roll i cant play at my preferred 2/4$ level yet playing at 25/50 cent is not really profitable enough even though its correct bank roll management. I had the idea to buy into a 1/2$ cash game but only for 50 $ a time , has anyone tried to implement this strategy ? and has it worked? I am a good player and I nearly always make a profit but I find it pointless to play at like 25/50 cent level or even 50/1 to a certain extent. I really want to build my bank roll so I can play at a reasonable level does anyone have any advice as how I can do this effectively. thanks very much everyone.taffer92

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say if you're a good player, play where your roll dictates or MAYBE one level higher. If you are treating it as your entire roll is 300, play at 50NL at most. If you are treating it as your roll is 1000, but you are only putting 300 online, play as though you have 1000 and go ahead and move up to 100NL at most.Some people have devised a system for buying short if I remember, I don't do it but you might be able to google the strat, I think it was someone at 2+2 if I remember.

Put it all on red. :club: I kid. I would think you're SOL, friend. You don't have 1200 bucks anymore...you have 300. You need to play a game that a 300 buck roll will support. It's that simple.You could play 1/2 with it, but it's a gamble, and if you lose...you're eff'd. I'd grind it out at the lower limits. If you are as good as you say you are, you'll have it up to 1200 in no time.Good luck

By the way, for just a bit actual productive advice, I don't believe $1,200 is a big enough roll to be playing 2/4nl. I've had $1,000 swings in 2 hours. And I'm also assuming because you said you were a winning player, that you built your roll up to $1,200, so you were probably even playing shorter.Edit: Maybe your talking about limit, I hope so.

It sounds like you are a good player at 2/4, why not just take it all to 2/4 and take a shot? If you are a winning player at that level, you would get the best value out of your money playing at that level.And gg life.

lol @ $1200 for playing $2/$4,andlol @ $300 being proper BR for 25c/50c.
sorry but i have to agree with this guy who is mocking you.with 1200 you only had enough for 3 buy ins. that's pretty crazy. i read in brian townsend's blog that he just recently had a downswing of 30 buy ins. i'd probably play at 15 times the buy in usually.your situation sounds like it would be better to play at higher stakes, short stacked, otherwise it's not worth it. remember playing short, don't play too many drawing hands preflop unless you are in position.good luck.
lol @ $1200 for playing $2/$4,andlol @ $300 being proper BR for 25c/50c.
I know that these figures are incorrect and you should have 20 x big buy ins but i am a better player than these blind levels so my edge is greater than most of the players at this level ideally I would have a big bank roll but I dont at the moment which is why I am asking you guys for advice . my 300 bank roll is technically only fit for 10/20 cent at best but at these levels the play is so bad its actually hard to get people to fold any hand and you have to be to patient , its pointless. thanks for the comments so far there are some good suggestions.
Edit: Maybe your talking about limit, I hope so.
it is ok if he is playing limit.
I had the idea to buy into a 1/2$ cash game but only for 50 $ a time , has anyone tried to implement this strategy ? and has it worked?
Doesn't sound like it.
I know that these figures are incorrect and you should have 20 x big buy ins but i am a better player than these blind levels so my edge is greater than most of the players at this level ideally I would have a big bank roll but I dont at the moment which is why I am asking you guys for advice . my 300 bank roll is technically only fit for 10/20 cent at best but at these levels the play is so bad its actually hard to get people to fold any hand and you have to be to patient , its pointless. thanks for the comments so far there are some good suggestions.
I'm sorry if I come across as sarcastic for this comment, but you are not as good as you think you are. I can guarantee you that. 6 buyins is not enough to give you any kind of security and there is probably a greater than 50% risk of ruin.
If you don't care about bankroll management, why did you come here asking for bankroll advice??No one is saying you are or aren't a winning player, but obviously 3 buyins is not a big enough roll for ANY player to not risk a high likelihood of going broke. Take your shot if you want, and if it doesn't work out orange julious is hiring.

I am a great player really and truly I just need to build up my bank roll which is why I devised the strategy of buying in for 50$ at 1/2 level now if i play a tight aggressive game and play mainly in position with good hands the only way Ill go broke is if I get out drawn hopefully by this time ill have built my bank roll up enough to ride some rough times . i know its a gamble but i cant play 10/20 cent at all ,you can play like an hour at this level and make like 10$ or lose 10 $ its really pointless. if you think this is wrong what is your suggestion on how I can build my bank roll??

Taffer,Dude, don't listen to these losing nits....they don't have masta nl skills. Use this method, if you're solid playa your standard dev. will be fine, no worry for risk of ruin.Move up with 15 down with 12.nl25=$375nl50=$750nl100=$1500nl200=$3000

When you mean micro is that 25/50 cent or lower ? how about I try 1 buy in for 50 at 1/2 and see what happens , you see I really am to good for anything less than 1/2 , I feel my game should be at like 5/10 and that is what i am aiming for in 1 year so I need at least 10,000 $ I do appreciate your views are I do agree in principal with them.

Just keep your money and leave... most of these guys on teh forum have lost more than money.... and they keep coming back to only lose more
Poker Forum NewbieGroup: MembersPosts: 10Joined: March 13th, 2007Member No.: 26,904FCP Online Poker Name: bubbaheadFavorite Poker Game: texasAnd you would know this because you've been on this forum for so long?
When you mean micro is that 25/50 cent or lower ? how about I try 1 buy in for 50 at 1/2 and see what happens , you see I really am to good for anything less than 1/2 , I feel my game should be at like 5/10 and that is what i am aiming for in 1 year so I need at least 10,000 $ I do appreciate your views are I do agree in principal with them.
Lower. Play $25NL for like a week.Don't buy in short at a higher level. It's far higher variance.EDIT: if you really are 'too good' for lower than 1/2, then it should be a breeze building it up at low stakes.