Please Judge This Hand -- Going For The Flush Nuts

I'm still trying to improve my game so I decided to post this here and discuss it with everyone. Basically, I want to know what everyone thinks I did right and what I did incorrectly. The only thing I knew about my opponent was that he didn't bet a lower pocket pair when there were higher cards on the board during the last hand. I was trying to hit the flush nuts Total number of players : 6Seat 1: AAAA ( $7.79)Seat 2: BBBB ( $15.66)Seat 3: CCCC ( $18.83)Seat 4: DDDD ( $6.45)Seat 5: BENOIT ( $32.28)Seat 6: HART( $34.36)BENOIT posts small blind (0.10)HART posts big blind (0.25)** Dealing down cards **Dealt to BENOIT[ Ac, 7c ] Everyone folds before meBENOIT calls (0.15)HART raises (0.50) to 0.75BENOIT calls (0.50)** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9c, Ks, 8c ] BENOIT bets (1)HART raises (2.25) to 2.25BENOIT calls (1.25)** Dealing Turn ** : [ 7h ] BENOIT bets (1.30)HART calls (1.30)** Dealing River ** : [ 5s ] BENOIT bets (1)HART calls (1)** Summary **Main Pot: $10.10 |Board: [ 9c Ks 8c 7h 5s ] At the end I knew I was beat so I just did a desperation bet.

I'm still trying to improve my game so I decided to post this here and discuss it with everyone. Basically, I want to know what everyone thinks I did right and what I did incorrectly. The only thing I knew about my opponent was that he didn't bet a lower pocket pair when there were higher cards on the board during the last hand. I was trying to hit the flush nuts Total number of players : 6Seat 1: AAAA ( $7.79)Seat 2: BBBB ( $15.66)Seat 3: CCCC ( $18.83)Seat 4: DDDD ( $6.45)Seat 5: BENOIT ( $32.28)Seat 6: HART( $34.36)BENOIT posts small blind (0.10)HART posts big blind (0.25)** Dealing down cards **Dealt to BENOIT[ Ac, 7c ] Everyone folds before meBENOIT calls (0.15)HART raises (0.50) to 0.75BENOIT calls (0.50)** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9c, Ks, 8c ] BENOIT bets (1)HART raises (2.25) to 2.25BENOIT calls (1.25)** Dealing Turn ** : [ 7h ] BENOIT bets (1.30)HART calls (1.30)** Dealing River ** : [ 5s ] BENOIT bets (1)HART calls (1)** Summary **Main Pot: $10.10 |Board: [ 9c Ks 8c 7h 5s ] At the end I knew I was beat so I just did a desperation bet.
preflop: blind versus blind situations can be tricky. if you're new to the table, don't have a solid read on the villian, and/or you don't feel comfortable playing after the flop i would suggest raising blind vs blind with a suited ace. you have the best hand but you're OOP. when you feel more comfortable with the other player/situation you can limp in the sb more and just calling the raise is standard. flop: leading out isn't bad, although i think a better play would be to c/r in a spot like this. you have a pretty good flop for your hand and a c/r will likely take it down most of the time.turn: the 7 helped your hand, so getting more money in is good, but your bet was way too small. you bet 1.30 into a 6 pot. i guess this is a blocker bet, so you can get to the river cheaply, but i would rather see a c/r here (if you didn't do it already on the flop), or lead for bigger. a weak bet like the one you did will be raised by a competent player with any two cards. river: it really was a terrible bet on the end. i wouldn't call it a "panic" bet so much as a donation bet. you're giving your opponent 9-1 odds to call with a hand that is likely not the best one. you really need to define what your goal is and on the river here, with it unlikely that you have the best hand, i think you need to think about bluffing or folding. if you are going to bluff you have to bet more (although i doubt a bluff would work in this spot). otherwise check and hope he checks behind. if he bets, you will likely have to foldall in all, i think you need to be more aggressive. your opponent doesn't seem overly strong but you never even gave him an excuse to let go of a better hand.

Chris Benoit hates your bets.From my personal experience, when someone bets into me and I raise them and they bet small into me on the turn, this is always a draw. I'm not sure why your opponent didn't raise you again there, but huzzah. When the river comes, you need to decide whether you're going to try to steal this pot or not. If you're stealing, steal...don't just give him money. He will never, ever fold for that small a bet in this spot.

The turn and river bets are WAY too small. I really REALLY don't like the river bet.
I don't like the river bet either. I was thinking of just checking and "giving" up the hand because I figured he showed some strength in his hand and he probably wouldn't fold on the river. Yeah, I know I threw away a dollar. In hindsight, a bigger bet might've made him fold because my opponent was friendly afterwards and told me it was a tough call but I was just too scared of throwing away a lot of money on a raise and just being called. I am wondering why the turn bet is WAY too small. How much do you feel I should've bet? And what about the flop bet? Was that okay? I gather the calling of the reraise of my opponent after the flop bet was the correct move.As you can see, I can be a timid player at times.
preflop: blind versus blind situations can be tricky. if you're new to the table, don't have a solid read on the villian, and/or you don't feel comfortable playing after the flop i would suggest raising blind vs blind with a suited ace. you have the best hand but you're OOP. when you feel more comfortable with the other player/situation you can limp in the sb more and just calling the raise is standard. flop: leading out isn't bad, although i think a better play would be to c/r in a spot like this. you have a pretty good flop for your hand and a c/r will likely take it down most of the time.turn: the 7 helped your hand, so getting more money in is good, but your bet was way too small. you bet 1.30 into a 6 pot. i guess this is a blocker bet, so you can get to the river cheaply, but i would rather see a c/r here (if you didn't do it already on the flop), or lead for bigger. a weak bet like the one you did will be raised by a competent player with any two cards. river: it really was a terrible bet on the end. i wouldn't call it a "panic" bet so much as a donation bet. you're giving your opponent 9-1 odds to call with a hand that is likely not the best one. you really need to define what your goal is and on the river here, with it unlikely that you have the best hand, i think you need to think about bluffing or folding. if you are going to bluff you have to bet more (although i doubt a bluff would work in this spot). otherwise check and hope he checks behind. if he bets, you will likely have to foldall in all, i think you need to be more aggressive. your opponent doesn't seem overly strong but you never even gave him an excuse to let go of a better hand.
Thanks for all the help everyone. About the turn bet -- I am still trying to get the hang of calculating odds especially betting odds. I would say it was a blocker bet because I was worried about being raised too strongly if I checked and not being able to go for flush nuts anymore.
Thanks for all the help everyone. About the turn bet -- I am still trying to get the hang of calculating odds especially betting odds. I would say it was a blocker bet because I was worried about being raised too strongly if I checked and not being able to go for flush nuts anymore.
If you're going to bet, bet anywhere from 2/3 to pot sized (5-9). less than that looks a little weak. you have to think about what your opponent will see when you bet. if you had a made hand you would want to protect it from the draws out there. your bet gave your opponent almost 7-1 pot odds to call. every draw, outside of a gutshot straight draw, has the proper odds to call you there. so you're not protecting anything, which makes your bet suspicious. you have to think about it from your opponents perspective: you bet the flop, they raise, you call. the 7 comes and now you bet again, but a really small bet. it just doesn't make sense unless its a draw and a good opponent will raise you big almost every time.
If you're going to bet, bet anywhere from 2/3 to pot sized (5-9). less than that looks a little weak. you have to think about what your opponent will see when you bet. if you had a made hand you would want to protect it from the draws out there. your bet gave your opponent almost 7-1 pot odds to call. every draw, outside of a gutshot straight draw, has the proper odds to call you there. so you're not protecting anything, which makes your bet suspicious. you have to think about it from your opponents perspective: you bet the flop, they raise, you call. the 7 comes and now you bet again, but a really small bet. it just doesn't make sense unless its a draw and a good opponent will raise you big almost every time.
Now, what kind of EV overall can one expect from betting that high in that situation? I was afraid I might be throwing away money if I was betting too high. Is that not the case?
Now, what kind of EV overall can one expect from betting that high in that situation? I was afraid I might be throwing away money if I was betting too high. Is that not the case?
It depends on what you feel your opponent holds and how much it will take for him to fold it.Your $1 bet accomplishes nothing. If you were losing, he's gonna call that $1 with any hand that beats you and you lose $1 more than you would have if you checked. If you're winning, he's not going to call $1 with a hand worse than yours anyway, so your bet cannot possibly make money. The only reason to bet here is you feel he has a semistrong hand like J9 and will fold if you bet big enough.
Well, absent of any kind of read, it's your only chance of winning the hand. What you did was throwing money away. If you make a substantial bet, this is a really hard call for just a king.
you need to ask yourself why bet in the first place? i know that you wanted to put in a blocker bet so that you could draw cheaply. this works against bad players, which is most of the ones you'll come accross at those limits, but against good players it won't. they will smell weakness and will raise big to knock you off your hand. so you have two choices, bet a solid amount or check. betting puts you in control of the hand and allows you to put your opponent to the test. now you have more than one way to win - making your hand AND forcing your opponent to fold a better hand. you don't have to lead on the turn, but if you do you have to make a respectable bet. if you don't you are just asking to be raised off of your hand.

Always remember, you only bet for two reasons:1) Get a worse hand to call2) Get a better hand to fold

Always remember, you only bet for two reasons:1) Get a worse hand to call2) Get a better hand to fold
Really? I bet because I like the sound that the chips make when they clink together in the pot.
Really? I bet because I like the sound that the chips make when they clink together in the pot.
That's part of the higher-level thinking of you high stakes players, right?
That's part of the higher-level thinking of you high stakes players, right?
Yessir.Now only if I could figure out how to win again. I have had only three winning sessions in the last 10 weeks, which is absolutely insane. I am not gonna play poker again until after I turn 25 on May 30. I'll just wait til the series is in town and then go down and start crushing games again.
Yessir.Now only if I could figure out how to win again. I have had only three winning sessions in the last 10 weeks, which is absolutely insane. I am not gonna play poker again until after I turn 25 on May 30. I'll just wait til the series is in town and then go down and start crushing games again.
24?Better at poker. Good job. Younger.I hate you.
24?Better at poker. Good job. Younger.I hate you.
3 winning sessions in 10 weeks. Maybe we should question the whole "better at poker" thing. The other 2, I'm not arguing with.Let's put it this way. In January, I won $14,000 playing 23 sessions (20 winning sessions) between 5/10 NL and 10/20 NL. Since then, I have played approximately 28 sessions (3 winning sessions) and lost almost $13,000. I'm really good at knowing what the other person has, playing accordingly and staying ahead in the hand... until the river card is out. Seriously, I don't know what else I can do about this other than take 2 months off. I have never run bad for 10 weeks before. 4 was the previous max.PS - Professional HiJack here. This thread was finished anyway.

LOL. I only win because I play in a game populated mostly by morons. My dog, Otis the Pug, King of Pugs, could win against these chuckers.

disguised "this is my birthday, don't forget or i'll be sad" post? :club:
disguised "this is my birthday, don't forget or i'll be sad" post? :club:
Heh, actually hadn't thought of that one. Basically I was using that as my deadline, which also happens to coincide with the start of the series, to try and get myself back on track.
Heh, actually hadn't thought of that one. Basically I was using that as my deadline, which also happens to coincide with the start of the series, to try and get myself back on track.
yeah. hang in there. you're a great player and everyone here knows that. hell, we probably all OWE you a birthday gift after all the advice you've given. hahaha. are you playing in any of the events or just the side games?
LOL. I only win because I play in a game populated mostly by morons. My dog, Otis the Pug, King of Pugs, could win against these chuckers.
I have a pug named Bruno that would argue that.
we probably all OWE you a birthday gift
Speak for yourself.
I have a pug named Bruno that would argue that.
It's actually my dog's name. It says so on his dog tag. Argue that, Bruno.