07 Nba Draft Thread

I actually like what the Blazers are doing. They had some problems that were going to be difficult to fix and are attempting to fix those problems through the draft. It appears they are doing so with a long term vision rather than just trying to make the playoffs now (which I think is the right move).
QFT! They ain't winning a championship next year, believe me. Getting Fernandez, Kaponen, and McRoberts was absolutely huge. Stern walked to the podium for the Blazers 4 times in the first 35 picks, and each one was a huge pick, it's a good sign.
With Oden, I like taking the big man. Potential franchise centers are so rare I think you have to take him. Sure the Blazers paid for that when they took Bowie over Jordan, but the Rockets took Olajuwon over Jordan the same year and I wouldnt exactly call that a huge mistake. I also wouldnt call Oden injury prone. He had a wrist injury which IMO is real minor. I'd be much more worried if it was a knee, ankle, or foot problem. Due to that unjury, and his draft status on the line, I dont think he played as full speed the whole season, and I cant blame him.
Oden also has issues with his back that came to light during workouts. Believe me, none of it makes me sleep better at night. I can't envision any scenario where Durant is doing anything BUT tearing up the league in 5 years. I can't say the same for Oden. I'm not sying Oden isn't a great player, but I'm sick of people saying Oden is the "safe" pick. That's a bold-faced lie. Durant is the "safe" pick. For every Harold Miner or Jonathan Bender who was supposed to become the next swingman superstar, there are dozens of Kwame Browns and Curtis Borchardts and the like.. I'm not using the best of examples, but hey, there are so many disappointing big men the mind boggles at trying to list them all. The last "nice guy, good attitude, hard working" center that went no. 1 was Mr. Olowakandi. Yikes. As for Olajuwon, the Bulls offered the Rockets their no. 3 pick for Ralph Samson before the draft, the Rockets could have had Hakeem and Jordan. Think about that for a second.
With Randolf, I puzzled by that as well, but I think there's other issues at work here other than just pure talent. Randolf has talent, but he also off court issues an a huge contract. The Blazers clearly just wanted him out of there which is a indication of their desire to sart over around a young core and their faith in Aldridge (who came on strong in the 2nd half of the season). The Blazers were likely looking for young talent and reasonabl contracts in exchange for Randolf. They obviously couldnt get that. I'm sure they tried like hell and plenty of teams called which says more about Randolf than anything else. Jermiane Oneal looks good on paper, but he has a huge contact, approaching 30 years old, and plagued by unjuries (he hasnt played a full season in 3 years). I think they took Francis because of the number remaining years on the contract. And dont discount Frye. I think many GMs still consider him a quality young player.
Most GMs considered Frye the best quality young player *on the Knicks*, biiiig difference. And even they were wrong, David Lee is the true young talent on that roster. I can see the addition-by-subtraction argument for the Randolph trade, and if Francis is bought out and comes of the books, next year's Free Agent class is going to be absolutely *loaded*. Of course, can you even name the last big name free agent that signed in Portland? All that cap space has sure done the Hawks and Celtics a lot of good, hasn't it? I still prefer to have R. Lewis or R. Jefferson now than roll the dice I can convince a FA stud to come to Portland. There is no precedent for it.
I dont see the Blazers making the playoffs next year. The West is just too tough. But of all the lottery teams, they appear to be in the best long term shape. They have a good young core and are trying to get some financial flexibility. In 3 years, they could be a very strong contender.
Let's look at the West next year: Pencil in Phoenix, Dallas, Utah, and San Antonio. Those are your 4 locks. Houston should be, but Tmac and Yao haven't been the healthiest critters the last 2 years. Houston always the top candidate to miss out thx to the injury bug. Denver should be in there too as long as Iverson holds up. Nene showed some real signs of coming back from injury last year. That said, the brittle Marcus Camby/Nene combination could leave them without a frontcourt during the playoff push. So, assuming Houston and Denver stay healthy, that's 6 teams you can pencil in. Golden State is going to be in trouble without Richardson, The Clippers are never a sure thing, Sacramento has officially missed their window, and the Lakers look worse than they have in over a decade. Portland could very well make the playoffs next year, if they can find someone who can score.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic