Hey guys. I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but today as I was listening to Pokerwire Radio and other poker podcasts at work, I just felt like writing.Over the past two years, I have entered the online poker world. Just a college kid looking to have fun. And I have. But I have also been kicked out of college after one year, been under $0 in my checking account numerous times due to gambling, been forced to steal from family (and got caught), and so on. Basically wasted a great time of my life away. But with all this pain comes the realization that I stil somehow love poker. The competition, the energy, the gamble...I love ALL of it! And I want poker to be enjoyment again. I lost that enjoyment until two nights ago when I played a HORSE MTT on FTP. Sure it was just $5, but it was so much fun, and now I have a passion to learn those other games and be able to expect to cash in HORSE events soon.I will be turning 21 in a month and a half (May 13th, to be exact), and will be going to Vegas for four days. If you are going to be out there around that time, keep your eyes posted on here and I will post something like May 1st setting some good times up (Daniel?). I can't wait, and I want to work on getting a bankroll going. I am finally going to learn how to manage a bankroll and not go broke (as often atleast). So my pledges are pretty easy:-SNGs: No more than 10% of my bankroll on that sight.-MTTs: No more than 5% of my bankroll on that sight.-Ring games: Undecided.I also want to get to know the FCP Army a little better. So please feel free to PM me on here and I will get back to you when I log on. I know some of you a little bit from back in the glory days of FCP and their $33 late night MTT (gilbertology, troyomac, pocket3s, l4nl, BearCanada to name a few), but I think getting to know some people will help me talk more about poker, learn more, and have a better time.Also, I made two rather basic Excel worksheets. One is to track my bankroll, the other to kind of plot my dreams of one day playing full time (i.e. how much I need to start, how much my monthly expenses are, what debt I have now, etc.) I saw Cwik's spreadsheet, and it was awesome, but a little intense for me. Sorry! :club: So if anyone wants to see the easier ones, let me know how to get them on here.I am sorry for taking so much room, but I just felt like if I am going to seriously go for a job in or around poker, I need to get my act straight. So I am going to play within my limits and have a good time. I am also going to go to school this fall, so that is another plus.Thanks for the time, and please message me here or PM me to talk!~PillyPill

You might want to take a break dude, clear your head. It sounds that you might have a gambling problem, and I know that's hard to admit to. I lost 600 bucks last year within a week because I couldn't control myself. I had to stop and think for a long time if I should keep doing this and if it's worth it. Luckly, I've been able to win that back, and control myself. You might want to stop and think about this.

Gl with your pursuit!M$oney is overated, Stealing is -EV, and 21 is such a great #.

You might want to take a break dude, clear your head. It sounds that you might have a gambling problem, and I know that's hard to admit to. I lost 600 bucks last year within a week because I couldn't control myself. I had to stop and think for a long time if I should keep doing this and if it's worth it. Luckly, I've been able to win that back, and control myself. You might want to stop and think about this.
Thank you for the advice, and I have taken a small break. I am going to be decreasing the amount I play per session as well. So I am kind of taking a break. We will see though. I will be going to my cabin soon as cabin season is right around the corner. So those are 3-day breaks.
Thank you for the advice, and I have taken a small break. I am going to be decreasing the amount I play per session as well. So I am kind of taking a break. We will see though. I will be going to my cabin soon as cabin season is right around the corner. So those are 3-day breaks.
GL dude.

I'm torn.I want to wish you good luck on your pursuit take poker more like a business with respect for bankroll mgt, but it's hard to ignore the warning signs of a player who obviously has some gambling problems, if not a downright addiction.The problem is this: You've already proven that you indeed have a serious problem by the fact that you stole from loved ones. This sort of action may be forgiven, but it should also serve as red light to stop anything in your life that is related to gambling, even poker. You see, I believe that certain psychological makeups are indeed just prone to be sucked into a gambling world and not be able to control themselves. Most of these people do not have the fortitude to have a successful poker career because they simply have too much gamble in them and too little self-control.I mean, think about it. You were so desperate for action, you were willing to throw away your college life and STEAL from your own family. That's just dangerous behavior, and while you can promise yourself that you won't do it again, the fact is, once you've established the disease is in your blood that you would take such measures, it's usually evidence it will occur again if you give it time. It will just take the right amount of desperate circumstances to force you to result to bad choices once again.I don't even know you, yet wish you would get help and avoid any game that involves gambling and pursue a life that doesn't expose this weakness. Think of it like your hand of life is going up against thousands of years of human psychology working against you. Life has a made hand you are drawing thin. You might be able to last a little while w/o succumbing to your disease, but you'll likely end up hurting others or yourself through your behavior.In a way, you got lucky, that you didn't lose more than your family's respect and your college career. Gambling can and will do a lot worse things, even take your life and those around you, if you let it. You got your wake-up call, now you should take initiative and answer it, rather than ignore it and continue down this road.I wish you the best of luck in whatever choices you make, but please consider an alternative path, and try to earn back the respect from those that love you by not engaging in gambling behavior in the future.

It's pretty obvious that you have a gambling problem. Seriously...seek help. Oh, and don't go to Vegas with money you can't afford to lose.

I would like to thank everyone for their concerns as they are all justified. But I would like to make a brief counterpoint.I already know and have known that I have what people call a gambling addiction. But what honest poker player (especially 90% of online poker players) does not? The average online poker player comes on everynight, plays maybe a tournament or two, then is done. Isn't playing a torunament a night the same as having a drink or two every night? Or puffing a cigarette once or twice a day because it "makes us feel good"? And on top of that, all of the players like Daniel, Mizrachi, E-Dawg, and even Doyle who we all idolize have HUGE gambling addictions. The thing about them is one day, they woke up and decided to enjoy what they love and not make it a bad thing anymore. I am not trying to say that because these incredible players did it, then I can do it. Absolutely not! I am just saying that isn't their some credibility in the fact that I am trying to make something work from something that has not worked for me? I failed at college and poker. I am fixing college by going back and showing that I can do it (Have been getting B or better in my night classes). Now I want to show everyone that I can play and love and enjoy poker without it being a bad thing.I want to emphasize that I am indeed listening to what you guys said, but I feel like I would rather take this bad thing and make it a good one.

There is a difference between having a lot of gamble (ie Doyle, Daniel) and having a gambling addiction.If gambling has ever caused you to steal from your family then you suffer from an addiction and need serious professional help.Getting that help isn't a bad thing or something to be ashamed of, it's just something you need to do.If you choose to pursue a career or spend your leisure time gambling it will destroy your life and if they let it the lives of the people around you.

I would like to thank everyone for their concerns as they are all justified. But I would like to make a brief counterpoint.I already know and have known that I have what people call a gambling addiction. Well then is sounds like a well thought out plan to go to vegas with no money and start playing....TP/MM

Pilly, to be fair, they earned that right to gamble because they can afford to lose it. While grinding, they may have still exhibited manic behavior, and likely went broke for it many times, and are the exception (because of their insane amounts of talent) not the norm. The norm is most above average and even good players could not survive such a lifestyle, ESPECIALLY if they have a severe gambling problem such as yourself. I wonder how often Daniel lied, cheated, stole, robbed, etc. to get money to gamble.Also, you didn't fail at college and poker. You failed at college BECAUSE of poker and your gambling problem. At least, that's what I can read into your posts. The gambling drove you to losses, which drove you to steal, which obviously affected your school life to a point where you failed. That's a big difference. To be the bigger man here, you should prove to yourself that you can function and succeed at life WITHOUT poker, not with it. Perhaps after you've accomplished at least that goal, you can begin to possibly think about returning to poker. But really, you are setting yourself up for failure.By you 'enjoying what you love', it's like Charles Manson enjoying what he loves by committing murder. Good luck in whatever way you choose to go, but I hope you give this a lot more time and seek help before continuing, for your sake and those around you.

Hey guys. I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but today as I was listening to Pokerwire Radio and other poker podcasts at work, I just felt like writing.Over the past two years, I have entered the online poker world. Just a college kid looking to have fun. And I have. But I have also been kicked out of college after one year, been under $0 in my checking account numerous times due to gambling, been forced to steal from family (and got caught), and so on. Basically wasted a great time of my life away. But with all this pain comes the realization that I stil somehow love poker. The competition, the energy, the gamble...I love ALL of it! And I want poker to be enjoyment again. I lost that enjoyment until two nights ago when I played a HORSE MTT on FTP. Sure it was just $5, but it was so much fun, and now I have a passion to learn those other games and be able to expect to cash in HORSE events soon.I will be turning 21 in a month and a half (May 13th, to be exact), and will be going to Vegas for four days. If you are going to be out there around that time, keep your eyes posted on here and I will post something like May 1st setting some good times up (Daniel?). I can't wait, and I want to work on getting a bankroll going. I am finally going to learn how to manage a bankroll and not go broke (as often atleast). So my pledges are pretty easy:-SNGs: No more than 10% of my bankroll on that sight.-MTTs: No more than 5% of my bankroll on that sight.-Ring games: Undecided.I also want to get to know the FCP Army a little better. So please feel free to PM me on here and I will get back to you when I log on. I know some of you a little bit from back in the glory days of FCP and their $33 late night MTT (gilbertology, troyomac, pocket3s, l4nl, BearCanada to name a few), but I think getting to know some people will help me talk more about poker, learn more, and have a better time.Also, I made two rather basic Excel worksheets. One is to track my bankroll, the other to kind of plot my dreams of one day playing full time (i.e. how much I need to start, how much my monthly expenses are, what debt I have now, etc.) I saw Cwik's spreadsheet, and it was awesome, but a little intense for me. Sorry! :club: So if anyone wants to see the easier ones, let me know how to get them on here.I am sorry for taking so much room, but I just felt like if I am going to seriously go for a job in or around poker, I need to get my act straight. So I am going to play within my limits and have a good time. I am also going to go to school this fall, so that is another plus.Thanks for the time, and please message me here or PM me to talk!~PillyPill
The bankroll management that you posted for sit and go's and tournaments will get you broke in no time. 20 MTTs is not enough to go through variance. and 10 sit and go's is definetly not enough. I've played about 4000 sit and gos in my life and have had streaks where i lost 6-8 in a row in HU. If you're not playing HU you'll experience streaks of not cashing in like 15 sit and gos in a row. So you REALLY need to get a more conservative bankroll management if you're serious about poker. GL.
Pilly, to be fair, they earned that right to gamble because they can afford to lose it. While grinding, they may have still exhibited manic behavior, and likely went broke for it many times, and are the exception (because of their insane amounts of talent) not the norm. The norm is most above average and even good players could not survive such a lifestyle, ESPECIALLY if they have a severe gambling problem such as yourself. I wonder how often Daniel lied, cheated, stole, robbed, etc. to get money to gamble.Also, you didn't fail at college and poker. You failed at college BECAUSE of poker and your gambling problem. At least, that's what I can read into your posts. The gambling drove you to losses, which drove you to steal, which obviously affected your school life to a point where you failed. That's a big difference. To be the bigger man here, you should prove to yourself that you can function and succeed at life WITHOUT poker, not with it. Perhaps after you've accomplished at least that goal, you can begin to possibly think about returning to poker. But really, you are setting yourself up for failure.By you 'enjoying what you love', it's like Charles Manson enjoying what he loves by committing murder. Good luck in whatever way you choose to go, but I hope you give this a lot more time and seek help before continuing, for your sake and those around you.
Well, I guess what I have forgotten to mention is that I have seeked some help with a church gambling in the past. Those bad things (stealing, flunking, etc.) all happened about a year ago. I have now been playing in a way where I lose the money on Site A, B, C, etc., and then dep money I would use to go have other fun. So probably for the last 6 months I have been doing good and only losing "entertainment" money. But I do see all your people's points. I guess I was just angry that I have been getting some more negative remarks than the positive ones I thought I was going to get.As for the bold part above, that is a little extreme...

Obey the Dog............You have some great posts in this thread.Pilly............It sounds like you need to educate yourself a little more about the nature of addiction. An alcoholic can't just "cut back and only have a few" to effectively treat his disease. Someone with a true gambling addiction can't "cure it" with proper bankroll management. It just doesn't work that way. Citing DN's poker and prop bets is rationalization......like an alcoholic who points out all of the drunk/buzzed people at a wedding and says "Well, they all drink a lot too, so I must be okay."Good luck with college and trying to move on with your life

There is a difference between having a lot of gamble (ie Doyle, Daniel) and having a gambling addiction.If gambling has ever caused you to steal from your family then you suffer from an addiction and need serious professional help.Getting that help isn't a bad thing or something to be ashamed of, it's just something you need to do.If you choose to pursue a career or spend your leisure time gambling it will destroy your life and if they let it the lives of the people around you.
I dunno. Seems like some of the top pros are just as addicted as anyone, they are just better at it than most of the other addicts. Young people always have a problem with impulse control - I'm not sure any of us is qualified or well-informed enough to make any judgements. This kid (sorry - I know--21) sounds like he is getting some perspective, has some sort of plan and is not willing to give up on himself. So, I say, good luck, and be careful and check in here, and with yourself. Remember: NEVER underestimate the power of denial. Until then, go learn! Have fun!!Play a lot of FPP tourneys!

playing poker most nights does not make someone addicted to gambling. the definition of a gambling addiction or gambling problem is the same as any other addiction- if that substance causes you harm but you cannot avoid it, then it is a problem. if you can play poker without it damaging your life then go ahead, but it seems like you may not be able to. it might be good to take 6 months off and after 6 whole months of not playing poker re-examine what the costs and benefits of playing are. if you cannot take 6 months off to possibly improve your life, then you probably have a problem.

I already know and have known that I have what people call a gambling addiction. But what honest poker player (especially 90% of online poker players) does not?
The majority of ones who end up being successful.
I dunno. Seems like some of the top pros are just as addicted as anyone, they are just better at it than most of the other addicts. Young people always have a problem with impulse control - I'm not sure any of us is qualified or well-informed enough to make any judgements. This kid (sorry - I know--21) sounds like he is getting some perspective, has some sort of plan and is not willing to give up on himself. So, I say, good luck, and be careful and check in here, and with yourself. Remember: NEVER underestimate the power of denial. Until then, go learn! Have fun!!Play a lot of FPP tourneys!
Thanks for the nice comments. Your name (11 to 1) is about the ratio of people not understanding what you understand to me. I am no longer making bad decisions. On a $60 dep, I have cashed out $1000 on AP. I posted my bad stuff because I felt it would help me to get it out.
Thanks for the nice comments. Your name (11 to 1) is about the ratio of people not understanding what you understand to me. I am no longer making bad decisions. On a $60 dep, I have cashed out $1000 on AP. I posted my bad stuff because I felt it would help me to get it out.
I think what people are trying to say, including myself, is to be very careful. Gambling can ruin lives, and I've seen it happen.

I scanned over this quickly..I just wanna weigh in, that as soon as I saw the whole "stealing, and being under 0 thing due to gambling, I gotta say.. you need to get out. or stop trying to make it your life.seriously, the fact that you even consider stealing to fund gambling is bad news bears brother.you arent mentally ready for poker as a life.cheers