An Atlanta Braves Thread

i remember that interview. he is one of the best hitters ever. and i do hope he comes back, i really do. ending a HOF career on a blown knee sucks. but i see him stepping away from the game since bobby is leaving, speaking of another legend. it would be kind of fitting if they retired together.
I would have loved to see him and bobby walk off the field together. But I hope he retires. I don't want to see him come back and just not being the chipper that we remember.
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uggla was released. Seems premature. It's been a rough half a decade to be sure, but you could just see it in his eyes that he was going to turn it around and break this cold streak, if only they'd ha

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5473305Like the move. With Chipper being out gives the option to move glaus to 3rd. I know lee hasn't had the best year but he does bring great potential for a big bat.
I really like the move a whole lot. He is much better defensivly than Glaus and he has been hitting well since the beginning of July. On top of that, the Braves didn't have to give up any of their higher rated prospects to get him. Glaus will now be able to come off the bench and give Lee, Prado or Infante a day off at 1st or 3rd. Oh, and another ho hum walk off win last night. I guess the excitement never ends with this team, but I wouldn't mind having a few games that don't come down to the 9th inning.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It really just gets better and better. There is no way we should have won that game, but somehow this team pulls it out again. Another injury blow with Wags being out, but I thin Kimbrel and Venters will fill in capably.I will be at the sold out TED on Sunday!!!

It really just gets better and better. There is no way we should have won that game, but somehow this team pulls it out again. Another injury blow with Wags being out, but I thin Kimbrel and Venters will fill in capably.I will be at the sold out TED on Sunday!!!
Very crazy game. I almost almost lost hope and turned it off. So glad that I didn't. Hurts a lot not having Chipper and Prado, but maybe they can pull out some more wins anyway.
Nice, sad press conference with Bobby Cox: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12809301
Yep, it was tough watching that. It signals the end of an era. With all the ceremony surrounding Cox's retirement, it brought back lots of memories for me... growing up as a kid in Atlanta with sports franchises that were constant losers. The Braves of the 90's created so much excitement for the city. On one hand, seeing Bobby retire reminds me that I'm getting old, but this summer has brought back a lot of good memories of rooting the team on in Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and later the Ted.Sadly, we couldn't find Francisco Cabrera to pitch hit in the bottom of the ninth.Congrats to the Giants and good luck to you, and thanks again, Bobby, for what you did for this team.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is Prado going to hit leadoff?Are we going to get to see some Matt Young this year?Based on absolutely nothing, I think Freeman does better than most rookies would in his spot, though his ceiling probably isn't higher than generally expected. With him hitting well, and if Prado can hit .300 with decent ISO, I think the Braves could be one of the better offensive teams in the NL.

Is Prado going to hit leadoff?Are we going to get to see some Matt Young this year?Based on absolutely nothing, I think Freeman does better than most rookies would in his spot, though his ceiling probably isn't higher than generally expected. With him hitting well, and if Prado can hit .300 with decent ISO, I think the Braves could be one of the better offensive teams in the NL.
Braves are a great sleeper pick. I love my Phillies, but they've become massively overrated since the Cliff Lee signing. The Braves aren't that far behind them, and it wouldn't take much (an injury here or there) for them to pass the Phillies, or at least take the wildcard.Prado has been pretty consistent the last few years, with a BABIP better than .330, decently low K rate, and a league averagish ISO (obviously pretty good for a non-power bat). No reason to think that he shouldn't give you another season of .350 OBA or better.

Not sure about the lineup order yet.I think the Braves are arguably the second best team in the NL on paper.

Fredi G has stated that he plans to hit Prado leadoff to begin the season at least. He pretty much has to since they don't have anyone else who has shown the consistency/capability to handle the leadoff spot.I think there is a decent possibility of seeing Matt Young start the season with the big club while Schafer gets a couple of months in Gwinnett to play everyday.I am headed down to Lake Buena Vista March 17-21 to catch a few games with some buddies if anyone else gets the chance to head to spring training around then.
  • 1 month later...
How long until Fredi comes to his senses and moves Heyward up in the order?
We should start a pool - Heyward vs Logan Morrison. Which manager figures out first that your highest OBP should be hitting in the 1-3 spots, instead of 5-6.
We should start a pool - Heyward vs Logan Morrison. Which manager figures out first that your highest OBP should be hitting in the 1-3 spots, instead of 5-6.
Maybe they have a high OBP because of where they are hitting in the order.
It's obviously stupid that McLouth is batting second while Heyward is sixth, but overall it really doesn't make that much difference.Dave Cameron: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/s...s-line-up-spot/
That article doesn't take into account that hitting earlier makes it likely he is hitting around better hitters. With more guys on base in front of him and/or better hitters coming up after him, the benefits of a good hitter become more important.With that considered, we're probably looking at a total effect of like, 5-6 runs, instead of 4.And while I appreciate the author's point that it doesn't need to be made such a big deal of, let's also not forget how incredibly obvious it is. It'd be like if someone offered you a delicious chocolate milkshake, or a delicious chocolate milkshake with whipped cream. Sure it isn't a big difference, but the benefits are obvious, and there is no good reason not to take them! Unless you're lactose intolerant I guess. Perhaps my analogy is imperfect.