An Atlanta Braves Thread

Anyone else think it's odd that we open with a one game road "series"? I don't ever recall seeing that before.
It is very unusual, and I'm not sure if it has ever happened before. They talked about it on Baseball Tonight a few weeks ago and the reason for it was that it was a new ballpark and it was the organization in the nation's capitol. They wanted for the Nationals to open up in primetime to try and boost ratings and attendance in the new stadium in Washington.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uggla was released. Seems premature. It's been a rough half a decade to be sure, but you could just see it in his eyes that he was going to turn it around and break this cold streak, if only they'd ha

I'm thinking about betting the Braves over 84.5 for the season...should I do it?

I'm thinking about betting the Braves over 84.5 for the season...should I do it?
I believe you should...if we stay healthy this year I believe we should surpass 85 wins.less than 3 hours until the start of the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from the game and we played soooo much better tonight than we had in the first two. We made so many mistakes to lose the first two games, but tonight we were solid in every aspect of the game...finally!!!! It's nice to get that first W under your belt. Now let's go on a roll from here.Also, just got tickets to Sunday's game with the Mets...SMOLTZ vs. SANTANA.......can't wait.....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wonder if we'll win an extra-inning or 1-run game this year. We went 6-9 and 18-25 last year. We're a handy 0-2 and 0-2 this year. So far, it looks like the bullpen is going to be the biggest question mark.

Wonder if we'll win an extra-inning or 1-run game this year. We went 6-9 and 18-25 last year. We're a handy 0-2 and 0-2 this year. So far, it looks like the bullpen is going to be the biggest question mark.
Not real worried about the bullpen...yet. They were great for four innings last night. But it has to be our biggest concern right now. And the 1-run games are huge. They killed us last year, and are on the way to doing it again. Chipper even made a comment after Opening Day about how we have to start learning how to pull those types of games out or it will be a disappointing season. They're the difference in a division title and sitting home in October.

4 games into the season and I am already extremely frustrated!!! 0-3 in 1-run games...we have to learn to win these games if we have any chance. We need to take 2 out of 3 from the Mets this weekend. Don't want to get down in the division this early.Also, we have used at least 7 pitchers in 3 out of our 4 games already and 8 in 2 of the 4. Our bullpen threw the 2nd most innings in the league last year and wore down at the end of the year. We cannot have that happen again. Our starters HAVE to start going deeper in games.

I'm pretty sure I want to kick Blain Boyer in the junk right about now.
He has now given up twp game winning HR this year...pretty safe to say I hate him right now.4 losses on the season...4 1-run losses...so so sick...we have to start winning these games.

Well we really need to get healthy right now. Hampton, Glavine and Soriano all injured is not good. I am really worried about Soriano and his elbow. He has now had problems with it twice since the beginning of Spring Training. I really think that it's a bigger deal than the Braves are making it out to be. The day off today should do Chipper and his quad a world of good. I'm assuming he'll be fine by Tuesday in Florida.If we can just hold it close (within a couple of games of Philly and the Mets) for the next couple of weeks while we try and get healthy I think we'll be fine.

GLGL Braves fans...for some reason I don't envision Andruw being the type to excel on his return. He is already pressing as it is, and was just starting to settle in. I imagine he will be flailing away this weekend. Good break for the Dodgers missing Smoltz and Hudson. On a side note, for some reason there is no sound for me on directv braves feed of the game. All my other channels are working fine, including other mlb games.

On a side note, for some reason there is no sound for me on directv braves feed of the game. All my other channels are working fine, including other mlb games.
Yeah...the Braves game televising is all effed up this season due to a number of issues.Also, Chipper is a monster.Additionally, the Braves expected won-loss is 10-6.
GLGL Braves fans...for some reason I don't envision Andruw being the type to excel on his return. He is already pressing as it is, and was just starting to settle in. I imagine he will be flailing away this weekend. Good break for the Dodgers missing Smoltz and Hudson. On a side note, for some reason there is no sound for me on directv braves feed of the game. All my other channels are working fine, including other mlb games.
Went to the game yesterday (2nd time 9 rows behind the dugout!).....thanks Pat, ya'll might have cured us!!!At least we gave up Andruw's first bomb!Seems like we might be getting things together....hopefully?!?Let's try to get a meet up at Turner sometime Cobalt and all other Braves fans!
Went to the game yesterday (2nd time 9 rows behind the dugout!).....thanks Pat, ya'll might have cured us!!!At least we gave up Andruw's first bomb!Seems like we might be getting things together....hopefully?!?Let's try to get a meet up at Turner sometime Cobalt and all other Braves fans!
Sigh, if you guys sweep us today I'm def not wishing any other team luck this year. :club: Larry sure is hot for you guys...The Dodgers got 7/9 lead off men on yesterday, and only scored on the Andruw HR. Pretty pathetic. I thought Torre left Bills in way too long as well, but he was pitching so well prior to the 5th I guess I can forgive his lack of readiness.Also, the Dodgers led the ML in pitches per AB last week...Now that Nomar is back, I'm sure that will drop quickly. I'm really, really starting to dislike the guy, and although his offense annoys me, I'm more worried about his defense. Dewitt had been very good defensively, and at least he took a ton of pitches. He used to be great, but he is like 5 years past his prime. I really hope the Dodgers don't keep him around for how popular he is with the casual fans in LA.Oh and in game 1, was I the only one that was annoyed that Andruw Jones was too clueless to step out of the batter's box when the fans are trying to recognize his contributions? It seemed like a good majority of the fans were giving him a standing ovation (classy move ATL), but he didn't really acknowledge it, besides that creepy little smile that is always on his face. Step out, tip your helmet, etc etc.I'd wish you guys luck today, but the way our team offense is going, you really don't need it.
Sigh, if you guys sweep us today I'm def not wishing any other team luck this year. :club: Larry sure is hot for you guys...The Dodgers got 7/9 lead off men on yesterday, and only scored on the Andruw HR. Pretty pathetic. I thought Torre left Bills in way too long as well, but he was pitching so well prior to the 5th I guess I can forgive his lack of readiness.Also, the Dodgers led the ML in pitches per AB last week...Now that Nomar is back, I'm sure that will drop quickly. I'm really, really starting to dislike the guy, and although his offense annoys me, I'm more worried about his defense. Dewitt had been very good defensively, and at least he took a ton of pitches. He used to be great, but he is like 5 years past his prime. I really hope the Dodgers don't keep him around for how popular he is with the casual fans in LA.Oh and in game 1, was I the only one that was annoyed that Andruw Jones was too clueless to step out of the batter's box when the fans are trying to recognize his contributions? It seemed like a good majority of the fans were giving him a standing ovation (classy move ATL), but he didn't really acknowledge it, besides that creepy little smile that is always on his face. Step out, tip your helmet, etc etc.I'd wish you guys luck today, but the way our team offense is going, you really don't need it.
Great post....I guess being around Andruw for 10 years, that's the way he is.....no matter what it seems like nothing bothers him, that's one of the reasons that I liked him for so long....Pat, I have a question for you,Chad was so sick for 5 innings and then he just lost it....is that normal for him because he has the stuff to be a frontline starter. He was absolutely nasty for a while yesterday!
Great post....I guess being around Andruw for 10 years, that's the way he is.....no matter what it seems like nothing bothers him, that's one of the reasons that I liked him for so long....Pat, I have a question for you,Chad was so sick for 5 innings and then he just lost it....is that normal for him because he has the stuff to be a frontline starter. He was absolutely nasty for a while yesterday!
Yeah, sadly EK (Karros, speaking of Dodgers I loved to hate late in their careers...) hit it on the head when he talked about Bills troubles. More often then not, he had control issues and throws way too many pitches early in the game, and ends up being only around until the 5th/6th. Similar to how Dreifort was with us, and how Penny used to be. Penny has learned to 'pitch' and not throw because of someone you are familiar with:When Brad Penny and Maddux were teammates on the Dodgers, during the last two months of 2006, they had a conversation one day that led Penny to reach a stunning conclusion: This guy knows my stuff better than I do. It was eerie, really, how easily Maddux dissected Penny's repertoire and suggested ways to maximize it. Penny, figuring he'd take advantage of the situation, asked Maddux to call a game for him against the Cubs. And so, on the night of Sept. 13, Penny glanced into the dugout before every delivery and found Maddux, who signaled the next pitch by looking toward different parts of the ballpark. Penny threw seven scoreless innings with no walks and beat the Cubs 6-0. "Maddux probably won't tell you that story," Penny says. He's right.Hopefully Bills doesn't wait until the downside of his career to learn to get the 1 pitch outs etc. Great, I thought it was a late game today, not early. Now I have to play all the sundays AND watch an underachieving team...Blah. The Lakers better not play a stressful game today or I'll be a wreck by later this afternoon. EDIT: Great I turn it on in time for the ^2. My neighbors have already gotten a nice speech on how big of losers they are lol.

And this is the reason he is the best manager in baseball.......do you not want to play for him???James got through five innings on 69 pitches, a quantum leap from his first start this season. On April 9 at Colorado, the left-hander gave up five hits and six runs and hit three batters, piling up 69 pitches in three innings."His control was much better," manager Bobby Cox said. "Pitching in Colorado, your first start, it's freezing cold, all that ... it's awful tough."Name one manger that will take up for a player like that.