Champions League

Liverpool v Chelsea again anyone?Lets hope , that would really boring...... again.I would love to see a Real vs Man U matchup as they both play excellent attacking football.In fact any combination of Man U, Real or Barca in the Final would be great.
Didn't say I wanted it to happen again because the games weren't scintillating, but it would trim down the English teams that could make the semis. I'm not a huge fan of 3 teams from one country in the semis of a European tournament. Although I would take an all English final if it were Liverpool vs Man U or an all Spanish "Classico" Madrid vs Barca, they would be intense.
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I would take an all English final if it were Liverpool vs Man U
Can you imagine the Riots in Moscow if that were to occur?

Looks like we've finally gone a season too far for some of the old legs in the AC Milan squad, question is will there be a real clear out in the playing and/or back room staff as they've been pretty dire in the league too?

Congratulations Arsenal... Thought there was no chance of them winning in Milan (esp. after their recent results).I hate Arsenal with a passion, but you have to give credit where it's due, and after seeing the highlights it looks like they totally deserved it.Man Utd through, obviously... less convincing than I thought it would be, but we had 3/4 clear cut chances that should been converted - at least one of them. But, job done.Bring on anyone but Barcelona in the next round. Utd v Barca final FTW.

arsenal v utd FTW. failing that at least in the semi with barca v real as the other. arsenal dominated both legs against milan and definitely deserved to go through. i'm made up right now.

Roma beat Madrid. 4 years in a row they've lost in the last 16 and I have officially stopped backing them to win this frigging tournament!

And of course the German side go through on penalties, that was nailed on.

Easy breeze for Liverpool over Inter. Inter was barely competitive.....are the english clubs really this good?
Inter are over-rated bottle merchants. They were gift-wrapped last year's Serie A with Juve's demotion and Milan and Fiorentina's points deductions. They have never even threatened to be a major contender for the CL in the last 10 years and maybe even before then! So much money spent on players who are too old or just not good enough/rantYup, the English teams are very good this year. Man United are joint favourites with Barca at 7/2. Chelsea 9/2. Then Arsenal and Liverpool on 6/1 and 8/1. Big drop to Roma at 20/1. Barca aside they are the class of this tournament. If it's not all-English final this year, it never will be.
Inter are over-rated bottle merchants. They were gift-wrapped last year's Serie A with Juve's demotion and Milan and Fiorentina's points deductions. They have never even threatened to be a major contender for the CL in the last 10 years and maybe even before then! So much money spent on players who are too old or just not good enough/rantYup, the English teams are very good this year. Man United are joint favourites with Barca at 7/2. Chelsea 9/2. Then Arsenal and Liverpool on 6/1 and 8/1. Big drop to Roma at 20/1. Barca aside they are the class of this tournament. If it's not all-English final this year, it never will be.
I'd make Barcelona favourites personally. Even as a United fan, being realistic, they have to be the favourites. I also think that the value bet is Liverpool. At 8-1, that's not bad, imo... with their European form, I'd put them ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal. These odds may change obviously, after the draw for the Quarter Finals is made, but Liverpool seem to over perform in Europe like no other.And yeah, the Premier League clearly has the most strength in depth. The top teams now have enough quality to their entire squads to be able to cope with the challenges of the League and Europe (although we've all failed miserably in the FA Cup this year, lol!). Obviously, the money that has been pouring in to the premiership is showing it's results... actually, there would be something wrong if English teams weren't dominating Europe, with all the money and resources we have.
I'd make Barcelona favourites personally. Even as a United fan, being realistic, they have to be the favourites. I also think that the value bet is Liverpool. At 8-1, that's not bad, imo... with their European form, I'd put them ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal. These odds may change obviously, after the draw for the Quarter Finals is made, but Liverpool seem to over perform in Europe like no other.And yeah, the Premier League clearly has the most strength in depth. The top teams now have enough quality to their entire squads to be able to cope with the challenges of the League and Europe (although we've all failed miserably in the FA Cup this year, lol!). Obviously, the money that has been pouring in to the premiership is showing it's results... actually, there would be something wrong if English teams weren't dominating Europe, with all the money and resources we have.
Agree with you all the way sir. And as a Jock that's bloody painful! lol

The draw for the remaining fixtures is out and looks like the standard UEFA fix is in :)Arsenal/Liverpool - Chelsea/FenerbahceRoma/United - Barca/Schalke

The draw for the remaining fixtures is out and looks like the standard UEFA fix is in :)Arsenal/Liverpool - Chelsea/FenerbahceRoma/United - Barca/Schalke
Chelsea and Man U will love their QFs. Although I doubt SAF will be relishing the semi with Barca. Ironically the "rehearsal draw" had the English teams apart.

Liverpool>ArsenalChelsea>FenerbahceUnited>RomaBarca>ShalkeThenChelsea>LiverpoolI really cannot pick between United and Barca. No idea.In the final I think it will beBarca/United > Chelsea

Liverpool>ArsenalChelsea>FenerbahceUnited>RomaBarca>ShalkeThenChelsea>LiverpoolI really cannot pick between United and Barca. No idea.In the final I think it will beBarca/United > Chelsea
Yep, agree with all those. Only one that I wouldn't be surprised to see go the other way is Liverpool>Chelsea in the Semis.Barcelona v United is all about who performs on the day, and most probably who can score the most away goals. Hope both teams play in their usual open, free flowing style (basically, don't change their tactics to counteract the others' stregths)... and it COULD be one of the best Europeans ties for a long long time. Here's hoping.
Yep, agree with all those. Only one that I wouldn't be surprised to see go the other way is Liverpool>Chelsea in the Semis.Barcelona v United is all about who performs on the day, and most probably who can score the most away goals. Hope both teams play in their usual open, free flowing style (basically, don't change their tactics to counteract the others' stregths)... and it COULD be one of the best Europeans ties for a long long time. Here's hoping.
It's what we all want to see. It's what the CL deserves. I have every faith in Utd but let's hope that the Barca that turned up Celtic Park plays against Schalke and not the one that drops points at Albacete!Agree with simo's analysis though. Has to be Chelsea from the other side, unless Kezman can do something about it...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAnot happening

I think Liverpool will do their usual and tank in the league and scrape through to the final. Man U or Barca in the other half of the draw i think.

• 3 weeks later...

Roma 0 - Man Utd 2Great result/performance last night. A League and Champions League double is very easy to see happening now, imo. Away from home it was a cool, professional performance, and we made it look easy. And it's not like Roma are a bad side or anything... I mean, they knocked Real Madrid out last round.Hope Vidic is ok. Barring multiple injuries, I actually can't see anyone beating us for the rest of the season... we're just that good. :club: Also, this squad is better (and I don't think it's even that close) than the '99 treble winning squad.

Roma 0 - Man Utd 2Great result/performance last night. A League and Champions League double is very easy to see happening now, imo. Away from home it was a cool, professional performance, and we made it look easy. And it's not like Roma are a bad side or anything... I mean, they knocked Real Madrid out last round.Hope Vidic is ok. Barring multiple injuries, I actually can't see anyone beating us for the rest of the season... we're just that good. :club: Also, this squad is better (and I don't think it's even that close) than the '99 treble winning squad.
Figured you would be a happy man today. Yeh, Man Utd were great last night and should coast to the semi's but I would never use the word "easy" when talking about doing a double. Barca will have Messi back for the (likely) semi-final. Mouth-watering prospect there: Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez vs Messi, Eto'o, Bojan (or Ronaldinho or Henry) I think UEFA should just tell Schalke and Roma their service's are no longer required...

Time to laugh at my picks for the quarter-finals 1st leg:Barcelona > SchalkeArsenal > LiverpoolFenerbahce = ChelseaMan Utd = Roma (Thought Totti was fit, damn)Goodbye £30, I'll miss youA lot of thinking to go into 2nd leg, they're all nicely poised, except Man Utd I'd say they're through.

Time to laugh at my picks for the quarter-finals 1st leg:Barcelona > SchalkeArsenal > LiverpoolFenerbahce = ChelseaMan Utd = Roma (Thought Totti was fit, damn)Goodbye £30, I'll miss youA lot of thinking to go into 2nd leg, they're all nicely poised, except Man Utd I'd say they're through.
For 2nd leg picks, you've gotta go with:Barcelona > Schalke (by 2 or more clear goals)Liverpool > Arsenal (penalties)Man Utd > Roma (3-0... obv)Chelsea > Fenerbache (who knows, but Chelsea NEVER lose at home, and can't see Chelsea conceding more than 1 goal either. Thinking 2 or 3 - 0... they've got the away goal and I think that'll be important for them.)
liverpool will go through, bayern , hopefully valencia.. and idno about man u and roma. it will be hard for roma to play like they did today at old trafford
Ok its a year late in coming, but that comment deserves some creditm what a prediction that was. Roma were leading the tie, then went to old Trafford and lost 7-1James as your a Man U fan, I think your worry about Barca is a bit misplaced. Is noone watching the Spanish League? they are 3rd and struggling bad. Messi is injured and it looks so obvious they are missing him.They had an ok group and had to beat Celtic and SHalke(assuming they do) to get to the semis. If ever I want to face Barca, now is the time