1) If Ivey did call, it wouldn't matter because Booth would just suck out on him anyway.2) Gabe hijack: Did anyone else laugh their *** off when Gabe said that Antonius was 'intimidated' by all the money on the table? I mean, I get that he has no clue who some of the internet players are. I'm often astounded that he is so clueless about Aba, but I cut him some slack there because this is his first TV appearance. But Patrik?? Come on Gabe! Its not like he's some 5/10NL player who got staked $500K to come play HSP....Mark

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i do think booth was apply maximum pressure, but its possible that booth could have put ivey on anything from jj, maybe even TT to AK, its something very possible. since booth had already re-raised if he thinks ivey has anything less than aces he could be trying to represent imo. if ivey has qq or lower, ak, hes gonna lay it down to a re-raise if you think through the hand. all the other high level thinking is possible but it could something as simple as that. also you can only really make that kind of play against a great player because almost all average players will make that call but someone like ivey, negreanu, doyle, those guys can and are willing to lay down a 'pair' on that kind of board.edit: if booth did have aces, which i think he was trying to represent, thats pretty much you would want to play it to prevent from drawing cheaply.

^^^^ trolling again? ************Board had a fd and 3,6,7, I think.Booth easily has a set or 15 outs, or 14 outs to beat Phil (I forget if Phil had one of the suited cards, to reduce the fd slightly)Of course, we know he doesn't.But a player who thinks as much of himself as Phil does, probably figures there are much better places, obv.I think Booths overbet looks enough like a 14/15 outter that Phil could call with the overlayCould it be a TV fold?, not wanting to look "stupid"?that table is just awesome.
Last night, when I said that Ivey knew that he was beat, I hadn't seen the hand yet. Based on the details that had been posted, Ivey made a big laydown. Now that I've seen the hand, my answer is that Ivey didn't want to go broke over one pair. There are so many hands that are better like flopping any of three sets or two pair. I imagine that Ivey wanted to wait for a better opportunity.Now, if he would have just called the preflop raise with a big pair like Doyle has done in previous episodes, I think that Ivey could have made some $$$.

I feel like from the hands that we saw, Ivey was just kind of trying to play a few hands very standard, and make his appearance on HSP. It seemed like he didn't really want to get involved much or give anything away.Mark

Booth put all cash out there for a reason. 300k in cash will make anyone squirm. It was done to intimidate Phil and it worked. I remember from a previous season where Daniel did that to Antonio, he put the bricks out there on a flop when Antonio had the best of it. I could never imagine playing at these stakes, if that was me I woulda s.hit my pants, then called.

Wow ... what a frickin' table that is ... most money ever on the table in the hands of the best group/lineup thats ever been on the show ... talk about your tough tables.As for THE hand, Booth played it perfectly, but as someone mentioned, if Ivey called what would be the consensus of Booth? Its a fine line between pleasure and pain. His intitial reraise of Williams could also easily have been a similar hand as Ivey's (big pair) so its not a given that Booth is playing lower cards that hit that flop hard. I think a lot of thought as to past history and Booths known willingness to over bet with the nuts is what prompted Ivey to lay down. Someone else makes that same move on Ivey and we may have a very different result.

I totally agree about the Antonius comment, that was so way off, All themoney intimidated him lol. This is a guy that once sat with 1 mil dollars on 2 diff tables online.. Antonius played the hand that way to check call a bluff.. As for the Booth hand, there were a number of draws he could have had like 89 or 57 of diamonds which hed play the exact same way and Ivey would be an underdog against them..

The way Antonius slowed down in that hand made Gabe's comments reasonable. I, for one, love Gabe's commentary on "High Stakes" and think it's one of the many things that makes the show so great. Weird to hear people down on it. Anyway, when Ivey folded his hand, it's like he knew he was being bluffed - at least that what he face looked like. But since Ivey is great at the small pot approach, why get it all in there? I was rooting for the call, though.

Booth put all cash out there for a reason. 300k in cash will make anyone squirm. It was done to intimidate Phil and it worked. I remember from a previous season where Daniel did that to Antonio, he put the bricks out there on a flop when Antonio had the best of it. I could never imagine playing at these stakes, if that was me I woulda s.hit my pants, then called.
I disagree. After Booth put the cash out there Ivey said "I wish you put the chips out there, that cash looks so sweet". So to me it seems in this case the opposite is true.

I could not agree more with you, This was a classic case of playing the man and not the cards (duh). Booth knew Ivey was strong, and a flop like that and big betting would push Ivey off his big pair.. Against any weaker player, Booth would not have made this play. Sorry Phil, but you got owned that hand... I wish they would have went rabbit hunting that hand to see if Ivey actually did make a good fold..Edit: I accidently replied to the wrong one.. meant to quote threebet.. my bad!

Yeah I don't think it's really a phenomenal hand, Ivey must think that's it's 60% he has a hand that has him beat and 40% he's on air, or something like that. When Booth asked for a count at the beginning of the hand it was probably not to get a read (entirely), he must have been pretty confident Ivey had a big pair and was figuring implied odds.The flop is a nightmare for Ivey considering what he likely put Booth's range on there, and his lead was a "I know you represented something that would hit that flop well, but I'm going to bet it anyway". Booth's push really puts him in a tough spot to call, because Ivey has to figure that even if he's ahead, he's probably not miles ahead (he's probably putting him on a pair with a flush or straight draw or 44, 55 if he thinks his Kings are ahead at best). Plus as someone mentioned, it's entirely possible Booth has aces there, and knows that flop didn't hit Ivey.It's really tough to see how Ivey can call that with aces, and with kings it makes it even more difficult. Benyamin should have shut his mouth during that hand though, even though he wasn't talking about the hand in particular.

Ivey put booth on slowplayed aces.
ding ding dingagree 100%, only hand he can put him on i think. based on preflop action that flop probably wouldnt hit a hand booth had, if it did it would be an extreme situation and calling would be more profitable in the long run based on how few times booth would reraise pre with 66-77
I wish they would have went rabbit hunting that hand to see if Ivey actually did make a good fold..
We already know Ivey did not make a good fold, rabbit hunting wouldn't change anything. Amazing how many people think the river card makes a play right or wrong.

If anyone thinks Ivey made a bad fold, they're thinking too results oriented because they can see the cards. It's usually not good to call off your entire $200,000 stack (or however much Ivey had), on 1 pair. If you can never get away from a flopped overpair, you should stick to tournaments. Last weekend I mucked my QQ on an 8 high flop, similar situation, except my 200NL game is nothing compared to their 100,000NL game. Similar to Ivey, I dont know if my opponent had me beat but I'm pretty sure somone did since we were 5 or 6-handed in my case, I felt very good about my fold.

Aba ( Brian Townsend) commented on the hand in the Televised Poker Section on 2+2:After the hand Phil told me he folded QQ and I said "I would never fold that to Brad." He replied "guess I got bluffed, you play with him all the time so you know, I have never played with him." I think based on the knowledge Phil had at the time the fold was a very reasonable one. I thnk AA would be the hand I would be most worried about.

If anyone thinks Ivey made a bad fold, they're thinking too results oriented because they can see the cards. It's usually not good to call off your entire $200,000 stack (or however much Ivey had), on 1 pair. If you can never get away from a flopped overpair, you should stick to tournaments. Last weekend I mucked my QQ on an 8 high flop, similar situation, except my 200NL game is nothing compared to their 100,000NL game. Similar to Ivey, I dont know if my opponent had me beat but I'm pretty sure somone did since we were 5 or 6-handed in my case, I felt very good about my fold.
So, your hand was entirely different in every possible way, right? Great example!
Not trying to knock you or anything, but there's a huge difference in folding an overpair on a raggity flop when it's heads up and when there's 5 people in the hand.

Just a thought but, yes a set seems likely but would you ever be worried about aces? booth puts in the 2nd raise and ivey then makes it 10k, booth knows its head up because he is last to act and everyone folds, many times good players will just call in this spot, booth can put ivey on a clear range of hands since he put in the 3rd bet. And then on the flop obviously 77, 66 and 33 are not in iveys range to put in the 3rd bet with so if he did have aces this might be a way to play them trying to get ivey to overcommit. Not that likely i know but yet another hand he cant beat.

He knew that he was beat.
Why are you making a comment when you obv didn't even see the hand being discussed? Ivey was not beat at the time he folded. He may very well have been beat by the time the river card was turnedbut that is a moot point. In answer to the OP's question, my only suggestions are that Ivey; 1. Didn't want to get all his money in so early (as Gabe stated) 2. He put Brad on two pair or flopped trips with a small pair3. He put him on a draw and didn't feel like gambling the rest of his $260K on a possible coin flip4. Outside chance he put Brad on AA but this is very remoteAll I know is that Ivey knows how to make money playing poker and that is a prime example of how an elite pro manages his stack well at the table and only risks all of it when he/she is quite certain they are ahead or have a ton of outs. Folding the best hand is a true sign of Ivey's greatness IMHO.

this has got to be one of the most interesting hands yet on HSPMy opinion, Other then an OESTFD, Ivey is either way ahead or way behind after that flop. Booth knows ivey's hole cards and ivey knows that Booth knows this. IMO this makes it a -ev call. Ivey is not ahead in that sitituation nearly enough to be calling that much of a reraise. As stated already perfect example of playing the player not the cards.This move does not work against prolly 99% of poker players. Give Booth credit GREAT PLAY that he knew would work.

4. Outside chance he put Brad on AA but this is very remote
assuming phil hasn't played w/ brad:this is honestly a pretty likely hand in brad's range. i think the flop was 378, it wouldn't be super crazy to assume that 33, and 77 may not be in brad's preflop re-raising range there. more likely brad has a big pair or a suited connector. when phil puts in the third raise booth knows exactly what hand phil has (AA or KK) and phil knows that brad knows this. so if brad had AA it's silly for him to put in the 4th raise. the bet always gets called when phil has AA and brad doesn't and rarely gets called when phil has KK (basically taking a negative coin-flip).brad's asking ivey how much he has behind is typical "trying to flop a set" talk and both players know it. in that situation AA and KK definitely do not have the same value. AA is a harder lay down.