I tried searching (admittedly not too hard), but has there been any discussion of the Booth v Ivey hand (check raise 300+k) .. I watched it a couple of times this evening, and I realized that I am not a good enough player to fold in that spot (obv. Ivey is). Are there some good players around here that can talk through why it is such an easy fold for Ivey?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried searching (admittedly not too hard), but has there been any discussion of the Booth v Ivey hand (check raise 300+k) .. I watched it a couple of times this evening, and I realized that I am not a good enough player to fold in that spot (obv. Ivey is). Are there some good players around here that can talk through why it is such an easy fold for Ivey?
He knew that he was beat.
I was just flipping through the channels and saw something about that hand. Didnt booth just have a pair, gutshot, and backdoor flush draw?

I believe Booth had 24s, board was 367, one spade.Generally in NL you aren't looking to get your whole stack in with one pair, even if its an overpair.Mark

I believe Booth had 24s, board was 367, one spade.Generally in NL you aren't looking to get your whole stack in with one pair, even if its an overpair.Mark
I understand that, but the posters before were saying, He knew he was beat. He wasnt beat at the time, thats all I was trying to say.

Brad Booth: How much are you playing over there?Phil Ivey: About 280I'm sure that had to do a lot with Ivey's decision since low pairs and suited connectors are the exact type of hands you want to play against a deep stack. Not sure if that question factored in his decision but, calling 400BBs with just an overpair requires ALOT of certainty that you're ahead like 65/35 against some monster draw. I think Ivey makes this call in a tournament.You guys notice how he bought in for more prior to this episode? I'm sure he was wishing he still had his 100k stack on that hand cause I think he calls in that spot with only 50-60k left, but not for 250.

^^^^ trolling again? ************Board had a fd and 3,6,7, I think.Booth easily has a set or 15 outs, or 14 outs to beat Phil (I forget if Phil had one of the suited cards, to reduce the fd slightly)Of course, we know he doesn't.But a player who thinks as much of himself as Phil does, probably figures there are much better places, obv.I think Booths overbet looks enough like a 14/15 outter that Phil could call with the overlayCould it be a TV fold?, not wanting to look "stupid"?that table is just awesome.

You have to think about the fact that booth asks ivey preflop how much he is playing and that hes thinking about implied odds and what his hand could be worth if he hits and ivey does have a big pair. So by raising ivey all in he sees it as his only way to win. See he can call that bet and then raise the turn if a scare card comes but ivey would have commited more money at that point and might be forced to call, when he re raises him on the flop he knows ivey knows will probably not be willing to call all that money with a big pair because ivey knows he has played it like a big pair and brad booth could just be testing him with a flopped 2 pair to see if ivey can really make that mistake by applying maximum pressure. it was just the power of money being used by booth into a positive equity play. Pretty advanced ****, you hear all those guys showing respect to booths cash game knowledge

you hear all those guys showing respect to booths cash game knowledge
Yeah. I'd take this lineup for the next full season of HSP4. Maybe add one more seat and get Doyle in there and it'd be perfect. JDags also hit the nail on the head with the WSOP/WPT final tables and the all-in-preflop-races. That type of show appeals to the general public, but thanks to HSP we get pokergasms every week :club:

Let's get the facts of the hand straight. David Williams raised Brad re-raised to around 6k with 24 of spades and I think Phil re-raised to something like 15 or 16k with KK. Flop came down 3-6-7 with one spade giving Brad a gutshot straightdraw and a back-door flush draw. Ivey bet and Brad shoved all-in. Conclusion, Brad Booth= big set of stones

Hahaha... Ivey, what a nit!! Call, call! He's only got 2 4 of spades. You've got him drawing to 4 outs! I can see it... it's right there, on my screen. What are you waiting for, you damn fool.. you got kings. You're a 90% overdog!swI've watched this hand a few times now, and it gets confusing when I try to begin to understand the thought processes that both players went through both pre-flop, and after the flop. Also, bearing in mind what they know about each other (which I don't know, so I can't really factor that into it.. e.g - have they played similar huge hands with similar betting patterns online, with opposite results?)It's a case of I know that you know x10. Maybe Ivey knew that Booth was weak pre-flop, but Booth knew that Ivey knew that too. And Ivey knew that Booth knew. So, in that case, how could Booth shove all-in, knowing that Ivey knew he was weak? He MUST have got lucky with that flop. He's overbet, hoping that Ivey has AA, KK. Ivey knows that Booth has put him on that. In that case, the fold would be 'easy'. (however difficult it is to fold kings on a 7 high flop).Of course, they may both have been thinking completely different to that, on totally different levels.. that's just one possibility. Maybe Booth actually had just got it into his head pre-flop that he was going to win that hand (after all, he did raise to 6k before Ivey had even acted...). p.s - I think Jamie Gold would have called. - Does that make him a better player because he would have been 'right'? Exactly... No. (although Booth wouldn't have made that bet against Gold, probably.. because he knows he can't fold it)

I REALLY thought Ivey was going to call, I was a little surprised when he mucked it. If Booth did hit a set, would he really re-raise all in? I understand the flush draw was out there, but you can't just assume the guy has 2 diamonds in his hand. I'm sure Phil had his own thought proccess and it made sense, I'm just a little surprised, and would really like to know what hand Phil put him on. On another note, did Benjamin (lol) play a hand all episode? I know he called with 6s and folded to the re-raise. Other than that I don't remember (I haven't seen the last 15 minutes yet).

As for the thought processes...With the pre-flop action (Williams raise, Booth re-raise, Ivey 3-raise), Ivey's somewhat playing his cards face-up. He's got a big pair. He's aware that he's telegraphed this to Booth. Therefore, when Booth shoves in...what can Booth really have that Ivey beats? It's typically aces, a set, two pair, a straight, or a monster draw. Booth "shouldn't" be doing it with any sort of lesser hand...again, because Ivey's made him aware of his somewhat large holding. Booth's one step ahead of Ivey in the thinking on the hand. That's not to say that Phil couldn't have realized this. And my brother feels similarly to some of y'all..."Would Booth really have shoved there with a set?" Booth showed on some other strong/nuttish hands his willingness to overbet, so I think that's a consideration. It's an incredibly sophisticated move and such a rare "spot" for a bluff that the chance of it working out is actually quite high.I just look forward to the fish seeing this episode and misapplying the move.

I REALLY thought Ivey was going to call, I was a little surprised when he mucked it. If Booth did hit a set, would he really re-raise all in? I understand the flush draw was out there, but you can't just assume the guy has 2 diamonds in his hand. I'm sure Phil had his own thought proccess and it made sense, I'm just a little surprised, and would really like to know what hand Phil put him on. On another note, did Benjamin (lol) play a hand all episode? I know he called with 6s and folded to the re-raise. Other than that I don't remember (I haven't seen the last 15 minutes yet).
On an episode of the circuit, David Singer was discussing a hand he played with Booth and mentioned that Booth is capable of making a big overbet with the nuts. He also does it with nothing, but the point is that an overbet from Booth in that spot could mean the nuts or a bluff and there is a very good chance that Ivey knew this as well.
I just look forward to the fish seeing this episode and misapplying the move.
QFTAdditionally, I've been thinking... what if Ivey had somehow made the call. What would we be saying about Booth's bluff then? It's a little like in Strat, when you get to see the outcome first, it doesn't work because you're influenced by the end result. Would we be saying it was reckless? Donked off $300k? Matusow-like? Terrible bluff, considering the strength Ivey had shown pre-flop?It's a fine line between lunacy and genius. I'm not suggesting it was any of these things... just thinking about it really.

Crazy hand, but I seriously didnt think Ivey wanted to call off 300k with an overpair in that spot. Thats alot of money to anyone, even Ivey.

I think you guys are giving Booth WAYYY too much crdit here for the way he played 62I talk about he 62 hand HereIt is really kind of an entry level play.I had tape over the hole cards during this episode and I put Booth on 89 spades. So I gave him way too much credit also.I honestly think Phil Ivey misclicked and that's why he folded.

I think you guys are giving Booth WAYYY too much crdit here for the way he played 62I talk about he 62 hand HereIt is really kind of an entry level play.I had tape over the hole cards during this episode and I put Booth on 89 spades. So I gave him way too much credit also.I honestly think Phil Ivey misclicked and that's why he folded.
Arn't you forgetting 'BalloonGuy on FCP'? You're posts seem naked to me without that.
would of called there myselft
Arn't you forgetting 'BalloonGuy on FCP'? You're posts seem naked to me without that.
<<<<<<<This is my praying that that doesn't excite you