• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was drawing a parallel between PH's marketing and endorsement endeavors. Its not entirely different from Gene Simmonses ego and branding everything. Neither are the humble sort. I'm not really sure what the purpose of your post was.

That actually annoys me too. A funny story: At the CardPlayer/Bodog awards I ran into Phil early in the evening and he asked me what I've been up to. I said something like, "you know, just hanging out with some friends and stuff." I didn't tell him who they were, and I'm not going to repeat their names here, but he would have been impressed as they were high end celebrities. Anyway, Phil then goes into this routine: "Yeah I was just in Florida for a charity event. I charge $50,000 now for an evening with me. That's more than any other player. I ran into Michael Jordan there, he's a really big fan. I was supposed to golf with him but I told him I had to leave town, you know how it is. On my way here I stoppoed over at my good buddy Andy Roddick's house for a while...etc." He told the SAME story to EVERYONE he ran into that day, lol. It was funny comparing notes later.
This isn't just Phil having a big ego, I think he actually has very low self esteem and is trying to compensate, but goes wayyyy overboard. People who overly brag and try to always impress others are sad sad souls, trying to show everyone how "cool" they really are, because obviously they aren't cool enough on their own that people could figure it out.P.S. Daniel when I first read your blog I thought it was gonna be some april fools joke, then I thought you were on drugs, then when I saw that it was a parody I realized how absolutely hilarious the whole thing is. Phil's blog is very painful to read, and it's sad that anyone could take themselves so seriously. Bravo Daniel

I'm 100% atheist myself, but I don't understand why the truly Christian thing to do isn't to feel pity for him; Hellmuth obviously can't help being the way he is. What's worse: being an arrogant ****, or going out of your way to hurt someone by ridiculing how f*cked up they are? Once again, Schopenhauer says it best:"But the worst trait in human nature is always that malicious joy at the misfortune of others, for it is closely akin to cruelty and in fact really differs from it only as theory from practice. It appears generally where pity should find a place, for this, as its opposite, is the true source of all genuine righteousness and loving kindness. In another sense, envy is opposed to pity, in so far as it is called forth by the opposite occasion; and so its opposition to pity is due primarily to the occasion and only in consequence thereof does it appear in the feeling itself. Therefore, although reprehensible, envy is nevertheless excusable and generally human, whereas that malicious joy is devilish and its mockery the laughter of hell."Arthur Schopenhauer, Parerga und Paralipomena, volume 2, chapter 8, section 114I also seem to remember an interview a while back where they asked Hellmuth to name the best players in the world, and one of the very first he mentioned? Negreanu. He respects your game--for the life of me I can't understand why he gets under your skin so much. Me, I've got a chip on my shoulder the size of Mt. Everest; it would make sense coming from me. But you? You're on top of the whole f*ck*ng world right now...where did all that spleen come from, man?Dude I love ya and your blog really was funny, but HOT DAMN you've certainly got a side to you.

Now I kinda wish PH would chime in and say....."Jeez people its not that big of a deal!" Its one thing if DN just randomly rips into other people on a daily basis. DN uses self-deprecating humor as well though, so I still hardly see this as being malicious. For arguments sake, lets say that DN meant to be as condescending and damaging as he possibly could be in his joke blog. IF that was the case, then he would surely do the same thing again....and again...all at the detriment of his image. Do you really think that DN is that dumb? I might be naive, but I hardly think that DN meant anything vicious by the blog, I think it was just light-hearted fun. The cold hard truth is this. We have no idea what dynamic PH and DN have, or DN and MM....or DN and anyone else, other than what makes the news, or DN shares with us via his blog. Even that small part of the interaction between 2 pro's is hardly enough evidence to condemn DN for being vindictive. We have no idea what conversations they have between each other....they could be best pals for all we know, and I don't know anyone else but I give my buds crap all the time. One thing i'm sure of is this, if PH was offended by the blog, I'm almost 100 percent sure there woulda been some sort of rebuttal by now. Plain and simple I really don't think PH gives a crap. Maybe thats cuz they are friends, and I can relate, cuz thats the dynamic me and my close friends share. What the hell is life if yah can't laugh at yourself a little or at a friend. Not one I'd wanna live, thats for sure. I really don't know what christianity has to do with any of this, perhaps you were taking a shot at DNs faith?

Now I kinda wish PH would chime in and say....."Jeez people its not that big of a deal!" Its one thing if DN just randomly rips into other people on a daily basis. DN uses self-deprecating humor as well though, so I still hardly see this as being malicious. [...] I might be naive, but I hardly think that DN meant anything vicious by the blog, I think it was just light-hearted fun.
WTF dude, you can't rip someone like that--right down to the f*cking ground!--and then turn around say it was just a gag and expect people to believe it. Wasn't it Freud who said humor is a straight-up WEAPON. Jokes are never "just jokes", because even if we think we mean them "in fun" there's always a strong element of cruelty behind them even if we're not admitting it to ourselves. Why? because making fun of someone is nothing more than an ego defense: " it repudiates the reality of danger and produces the comforting illusion that the fearful ego is acting like a weak child, saying, in effect, "‘Look! here is the world, which seems so dangerous! It is nothing but a game for children—just worth making a jest about!’" It's completely obvious something about Hellmuth got WAY under his skin or else he wouldn't have bothered. I'm not saying I know what it is, but any way you look at it, it's really odd and out of character. Especially coming from, quote, "the Nice Guy of Poker" and one of the only people in the world who literally has nothing to envy in Phil Hellmuth.
One thing i'm sure of is this, if PH was offended by the blog, I'm almost 100 percent sure there woulda been some sort of rebuttal by now. Plain and simple I really don't think PH gives a crap.
What could he say without making a bad situation worse? I'd bet serious money he cares but is just trying to rise above it, something along the lines of this quote from Arlene Francis: "To constantly slander those whom you dislike is to eat away at your own spirit. Inner harmony has for its outward expression grace and felicity, and while that may sound a little like Pollyanna at a picnic, it's a damned sight easier to live with than hatred, which Byron so succinctly called 'the madness of the heart." Phil might be a crazy ****, but damn it, at least he's trying.
So your saying that all humor is an evil plot to destroy the world.
No, not at all. It's just that when you go out of your way to mercilessly ridicule and mock someone, you have to realize it doesn't come out of nowhere and you're doing it for a reason. I prefer to treat people I consider my friends with respect and empathy, YMMV.

That seems not really realistic. If you laugh, you are laughing at something funny. Most things that are funny are ironic, or the action of another person. If you never laugh at all you may have a case.

I do understand the points, but it's still a little nutty. Humor, and poking fun at other people is actually one of the ways in which people bond and grow closer to each other. I'm not saying that my blog was an example of that, but to say that poking fun at your buddies has to have some kind of malicious intent is just plain wrong. When guys on a basketball team rib each other for this or that, there is often more love in the ribbing then there is malicious intent. Or, When Juanda tells me how bad I play, and I in turn call him a drunken donkey, that's one of the ways we have fun with each other. Humor is essential. Especially amongst friends who spend time together. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, when guys like that get together, you think that they rib each other to hurt each other? No way, no chance, no crazy cooky psychologist can tell me different. No I don't want to sleep with my mother, and no, when people use humor to poke fun at others it isn't necessarily malicious. Sometimes... it's just funny.

I do understand the points, but it's still a little nutty. Humor, and poking fun at other people is actually one of the ways in which people bond and grow closer to each other. I'm not saying that my blog was an example of that, but to say that poking fun at your buddies has to have some kind of malicious intent is just plain wrong.
There's the kind of "poking fun" that dispels tension, and then there's the kind that crosses the line into being just plain cruel. Anyway, no matter what you meant or how you feel, surely you can understand how the more thin-skinned among us are going to view it as you ripping the guy a new *sshole six ways to Saturday. Any way anybody wants to measure it, you're a winner : why waste your energy by focusing on people acting like losers? Gordon, Hellmuth, haters on the board, whoever. Just let it go, be charming, and it's all good man. Ah well, that's my take on it, anyway. Happy Easter!P.S:
:club: