Random Hockey Observations

The North Stars have a really weird history. They merged with the Golden Seals or something to form the Cleveland Barons, then when SJ came along, they got to take a bunch of Minnesota players and the the Stars were part of the expansion draft. I don't understand it.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

What do you mean by "spin off"? The North Stars became the Dallas Stars.

The Sharks first players were from the North Stars. I cant recall the number, but the crux of the team at first was made by North Stars players before there was an actual expansion draft.

spin off was the best thing I could come up with, sort of like Laverne+Shirley were bit characters on Happy Days, and then they got their own show.

What, you guys dont know Happy Days and Laverne+Shirley either? F*cking kids. :)

So, Canada's best defenseman, USA's second best forward, and arguably a top 3 U24 forward have all been left off world cup rosters.

So, Canada's best defenseman, USA's second best forward, and arguably a top 3 U24 forward have all been left off world cup rosters.

lesson to parents of d-men. Make them shoot left even if it isn't their natural side.

also don't eat hot dogs and it might be a good idea to be productive in the playoffs, Olympics and other international competitions.

What, you mean he didn't eat hot dogs and has been very productive on the big stage. Well never mind then he's no Ryan Callahan

Subban I understand how it happened, even if I vehemently disagree with the result. The idea of leaving Weber or Pietrangelo off this roster is difficult for some to comprehend, even if they are both vastly inferior players to Subban and Letang by pretty much any metric available (other than toughness and character durrrr)

The Kessel omission simply cannot be justified. USA's forward lineup is terrible. He is probably the second best American forward after Kane. This is indefensible, and I hope USA gets absolutely embarrassed as a matter of basic principle.

Same with Galchenyuk. There is one North American U24 player with more carer NHL goals than Galchenyuk. Unless there is a non hockey reason that he can't play for some reason, there is zero excuse for this.

Same with Galchenyuk. There is one North American U24 player with more carer NHL goals than Galchenyuk. Unless there is a non hockey reason that he can't play for some reason, there is zero excuse for this.

I think you are overstating things by saying Galcheyuk is a top 3 forward on the U24's. He wouldn't be one of the top offensive players on that roster and I guess he doesn't have the defensive skill or versatility for anything other than a scoring role in the opinion of those who picked the team. I'm not qualified to say if that's true.

and I guess they didn't see him as a winger

It does seem strange that he isn't on the roster though.

Without the puck, Galchenyuk is about average in his own end. He doesn't hit or block many shots, but he makes up for it because he's better than average at stick checks and blocking passes.

With the puck, he's one of the better players in the league at carrying the puck out of his own end.

As a Habs fan, I'm glad they didn't pick him.

As a Canada fan, I'm glad they didn't pick him.

As a hockey fan, World Cup = meh.

homer bias:

No way JFaulk isnt better than Jack Johnson.

Thats Torts taking his own guy I guess.

The whole USA lineup is an abomination

The whole USA lineup is an abomination

they'll have so many 4th liners that some of them will be on the 2nd line so that's a lot of depth