Random Hockey Observations

They aren't very fun to watch right now though. This reminds me of 08/09 a bit. The team just sucked under Therrien. Not sure if the coach is the problem, but I'd replace him before I traded a forward away, unless it was the price to significantly shore up the defense, which is horrid at moving the puck.

I think a lot of people believe they should fire the coach..Mainly due to the Power play, which boasts one of the top PP units in history of NHL...Not too much of an exaggaration..Tough to do anything when the team when on a huge roll though.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Unfortunately the pick is protected..If the Pens miss playoffs it goes to next year...Which I think is protected again..So technically I have to hope the Pens do bad, but not too bad...

Dont think its a scandal..I love seeing emotion from NHL players..

Oh yeah, this team SHOULD be pissed off. I'd rather see that than moping about.

Zach would know this.....wasnt the PP also surprisingly bad under Bylsma? At least I recall 1/2 years like that, where the team would score 5 on 5, but couldnt on PP.

Hmm, they had good years, I think.

They started last year like crazy on the PP before leveling out, under Johnston. I dunno, middle of the pack by the end? I'll look it up.

9th last year.

1st in Bylsma's last year.

2nd the year before.

6th the year before. (11/12)

23rd in 10/11 (was this the year Sid and Geno each missed at least half a season?)

21st in Bylsma's first full season.

20th the year they won the Cup, Therrien/Bylsma's split.

Their power play does suck. And so does their offense, right now. They aren't getting ANY odd man rushes, or breakaways/partial breakaways because they employ (under Johnston) a swing type of breakout/attack. Leaves too much time for the other team to get back and in position, and negates the lethal quality of that offense. I think if you look, you'll find at least 5 (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Kunitz, maybe Cullen?) guys that have scored 30 or more, another bunch (Dupuis, Cole, Fehr, Perron, etc) that have scored 20 or more. That gives you, on most nights, a pretty lethal offense with two good rookies (Sprong/Bennett) in the mix. So the talent is there. The system is not.

And that may be a product of realizing their defense is pretty bad, so they hang low in their own zone. Maybe it's a necessary evil, I don't know. But my guess is, with guys hanging around like Lemieux and Jacques Martin, not to mention Recchi and Tocchet, that the conversation will turn to changing the system.

Carolina ranks second in NHL in Corsi for %.

Los Angeles

Carolina

Washington

St. Louis

Nashville

Chicago

Taken from sportswagers.ca

They want to play a defensive style with the highest paid offense in the league, yet they want the D to activate when they have one player back there capable of doing so with any success. I went to the Columbus game and it was frustrating to say the least. They couldn't get out of their end, and they would make these cutesy little passes to nobody instead of getting it out of the defensive zone. Malkin, in particular, likes to do a no-look pass near the blue line which gets intercepted with regularity. They just look like they don't care, and 58 minutes of the game I went to was a turd sandwich. They finally looked like they gave a damn in the last 2 minutes and made it interesting, but I have to wonder where that concern was before. The NJ game, I watched maybe one period at home before heading out, but it appears I didn't miss much.

They play uninspired, careless, and I'm not sure if that's a lack of respect for the coaching staff or each other. I'm afraid if they fire Johnston that not much will change in regards to their approach, because Martin would step in and I don't see him changing from a defense-first mentality.

a pretty lethal offense with two good rookies (Sprong/Bennett) in the mix. So the talent is there. The system is not.

Bennett is in like his 4th season, lol, over 100 games, anyways.

But ya, that's a really interesting analysis and it makes a ton of sense. They really never have the odd-man rush, it's brutal.

I'll never for the life of me understand why a player will rag the puck with 10 seconds left instead of doing literally anything offensive. The risk is zero. Malkin just dangled with the puck on the Wild half of centre for 10 seconds instead of making a pass or even trying to gain the line. It's ridiculous. Walk in and fire a shot at the buzzer. There's 0 risk. It's a freeroll.

ANA-FLA 0-0 halfway thru the game

CBJ-OTT 0-0 halfway thru the game

SJ-PHI 0-0 2 periods done

NYR-TB 0-1 halfway thru the game

Thats 1 goal over the course of essentially 130 minutes of hockey. I havent watched much, maybe 10min of ANA-FLA, but seriously, how exciting could all 4 games be?