• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Any Western Canadians on here?

How stupid would I be to try to coordinate a trip to see Pens play in Edm, CGY, and VAN in early Feb.?

I'm know it would be ridiculously cold and how would travel even work? Would I just need to fly in a out of both? The drive from Edm to CGY isn't too long but it might not even be feasible in Feb. Are there trains available that time of year?

It also appears to be a 24+ hour train ride.

Rail service in Canada is just not that good, because of how spread out everything is, outside of southern Ontario/western Quebec.

Any Western Canadians on here?

How stupid would I be to try to coordinate a trip to see Pens play in Edm, CGY, and VAN in early Feb.?

I'm know it would be ridiculously cold and how would travel even work? Would I just need to fly in a out of both? The drive from Edm to CGY isn't too long but it might not even be feasible in Feb. Are there trains available that time of year?

the drive can't be worst than the pa turnpike in a bizzard. That was about the worst drive I have made in my life in a snowstorm

You could fly into Edmonton, then you have a few options to get to Calgary:

1. Rent a car for 1 day. with drop off in Calgary, you are probably looking at $80 or so.

2. Take a greyhound Bus. Not sure on cost, but there are lots that run, and the greyhound Depot is just on the outskirts of downtown Calgary, so pretty convenient for going to the game.

3. Take a shuttle service. You'll have to google this, but there are a few companies that just run to and from Calgary and Edmonton all day.

I wouldn't worry about the roads in February. Unless you get a storm, Highway 2 is usually pretty clear and safe. I've made the drive many times in the winter.

Getting from Calgary to Vancouver is tough. It's a drive I would not want to make in the winter, but it's only a 1 hour flight.

Um... Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, JVR, and now Scott Hartnell have all been traded on June 23rd.

That is bizarre.

Sort of. Small window from Stanley cup to draft. But ya weird

I've done the calgary/Vancouver drive in winter and I wouldn't want to do it again. It's far better to go through the states, honestly - shorter drive and cheaper gas. I'm in the middle of doing it right now in the summer and it's a lot of driving, even with two drivers. Either is doable but we had pretty ideal weather for the winter trip and the drive was still sketchy as hell in spots.

I think this would be the plan.

• Brace ourselves for bitter cold.
  • Fly Pittsburgh to Edmonton.
  • Rent a car and drive to Calgary.
  • Fly to Vancover.
  • Either fly back to Pgh from there or rent another car and drive down to Seattle.

It's a lot I know but does it sound feasible? I know a snow storm could wreck everything.

We've done Anahaim, LA, San Jose, Phoenix, Dallas, Philly, Washington, Buffalo already. Another option is Islanders then Bruins in November but I wouldn't be as excited about that.

I'm a little unclear on how Hartnell suddenly became worthless to the Flyers. He seemed like the ultimate Flyer, and probably everyone in upper management at that organization loved his game.

The Flyers always seem to make these moves that make me wonder what the hell is going on there behind closed doors, since suddenly the most loved players (Richards, Carter, Hartnell.....) suddenly all get traded for lessor players, or packages that seem to just be not enough. These cases in particular all were reported as the team looking to get rid of the player, as opposed to just making a trade to improve the team.

I think it's feasible and it really won't be much travel to be honest. 3 hours drive from Edmonton to Calgary that is all 1 highway. 1 hour flight from Calgary to Vancouver. Arrange to pick up the rental at the Edmonton airport and drop off the rental at the Calgary airport if you can and you're all set.

What I usually do when I go to Edmonton if I am staying in a hotel is stay at one of the hotels at the very south end of Edmonton, and cab to and from the rink ($30-$40 each way). There is a group of hotels right off the highway on the southern outskirts of town, and it makes it really easy to hop back on highway 2 when you are leaving town and you are already out of the city and on your way to calgary.http://bestwesternalberta.com/hotels/best-western-plus-south-edmonton-inn-and-suites, that's the one I am thinking of, there is also a Sandman there as well. It's just nice not having to drive through Edmonton at all because I find that city a pain in the ass to get around. The Aiport is south of the city as well, so this hotel would be pretty close to the aiport, and really really easy to get to if you aren't comfortable driving around in Edmonton.

I love looking at the final voting numbers for the NHL awards.

For example:

Bq7_Hy5CcAAKcki.png

Someone thought Gustav Nyquist was the 2nd most valuable player in the NHL.

Only one person had 51-goal scorer, Rocket Richard Trophy winning Alex Ovechkin in their top 5.

Phil "37g, 80pts, 6th in NHL scoring" Kessel didn't receive a single MVP vote.

(this is not trolling, I think that's kinda nuts)

Wow, I gotta agree, thats nuts.

I guess you gotta be a playoff team for them to care.

Also, I agree with you that those are fascinating to look over, I esp love the bottom, and things like the Nyquist thing. Funny thing is, you could make a small (very small) case that when Detroit was missing its best players, Nyquist stepped up, and helped that team make the playoffs. I know I sound biased, but I think a factual case can be made that if he didnt play as well as he did, when he did (as short a time as it was), Detroit would not be a playoff team.

Na, you're right.

I also like that someone thought two players were better than Sid this year. That's interesting to me. Wonder if it was one of those guys who thinks goalies are the mvps no matter what (probably true =/) and voted two of them before Sid.

Just interesting.

Phil "37g, 80pts, 6th in NHL scoring" Kessel didn't receive a single MVP vote.

(this is not trolling, I think that's kinda nuts)

Proof the voting is stupid. How can Kessel not get any votes. Before the collapse you could of argued he was an outside chance at top 3.

Whatever. It's the nhl creating the stars they want. Voting is too subjective.

I had mentioned earlier that Ovy had probably the worst 50 goal season ever , but still only one voter put him in 5th??

Actually, now that I look at it again with some thought, its pretty obvious they believe if your team didnt make the playoffs, you are not MVP worthy. If thats how they see the award, then I can see how they voted.

Serge, I don't know why you would think the "nhl creating the stars they want". Your team plays in Toronto, where the NHL+NHLPA makes a shitload from them, they love Kessel+the Leafs, contrary to your conspiracy theories.