Random Hockey Observations

Well, don't worry about that, Adam.Phoenix to Quebec, to the same division as Toronto/Montreal, etc.Expansion team in Las Vegas (or Seattle), to take over Phoenix's spot, and an expansion team in the GTA, in Toronto's division, which would move someone like Florida or something to Pittsburgh's division, I guess.It's all stupid.I'll tell you who the REAL loser is in all of this.ME.My ability to see the Penguins in person just dropped 50%.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Possible Original 6 Stanley Cup Finals matchups:CHI vs BOSCHI vs MTLCHI vs TORCHI vs NYRDET vs BOSDET vs MTLDET vs TORDET vs NYRBOS vs NYRMTL vs NYRTOR vs NYR

I'll tell you who the REAL loser is in all of this.ME.My ability to see the Penguins in person just dropped 50%.
I turned down a free ticket for the game last night, if that makes you feel better? :club: In hindsight, it was a wise decision on my part.

If the league actually expands when they have teams in markets that can't or don't support them, I'll have issues with that too. Not that I wouldn't fucking LOVE an extra reason to go to Vegas every year (Sabres/Gamblers game).

Well, don't worry about that, Adam.Phoenix to Quebec, to the same division as Toronto/Montreal, etc.Expansion team in Las Vegas (or Seattle), to take over Phoenix's spot, and an expansion team in the GTA, in Toronto's division, which would move someone like Florida or something to Pittsburgh's division, I guess.It's all stupid.I'll tell you who the REAL loser is in all of this.ME.My ability to see the Penguins in person just dropped 50%.
You and Carolina.Seriously, you guys know I dont really play the Carolina homer card, but arent they an obvious loser in all this? Travel? worseCompetition? worseChance of making playoffs? worseMoved away from traditional rivals? worseYay, they get more home dates with Nashville, Columbus and Minnesota. WIN WIN WIN.Overall, like the system though, but I guess someone had to get screwed, though I will admit, not that much.
If the league actually expands when they have teams in markets that can't or don't support them, I'll have issues with that too. Not that I wouldn't fucking LOVE an extra reason to go to Vegas every year (Sabres/Gamblers game).
If the NHL puts a second team in the Toronto area and a team in Las Vegas, I'll divorce my wife and marry the NHL.
You and Carolina.Seriously, you guys know I dont really play the Carolina homer card, but arent they an obvious loser in all this? Travel? worseCompetition? worseChance of making playoffs? worseMoved away from traditional rivals? worseYay, they get more home dates with Nashville, Columbus and Minnesota. WIN WIN WIN.Overall, like the system though, but I guess someone had to get screwed, though I will admit, not that much.
I don't think the competition is significantly harder for Carolina under the new format. The average point total of their current division is 26.2. If we take the teams that will be in their new division the average point total is 27.8. Also, currently Carolina has to battle 14 other teams for 8 playoff spaces. That means that 53.33% (8 of 15) of the teams will make the playoffs in their current conference. Under the new system they will only be battling 6 other teams for 4 playoff spots. That means 57.14% (4 of 7) of the teams in their new conference will make the playoffs.

Sucks for Carolina, but don't they usually spend money anyways? They have really good young pieces, and a great fanbase, great owners. They should be able to compete with the Pens/Caps/Flyers/Rangers under the cap system, IMHO. Hope so, anyways. Canes are in that group of teams I tend to enjoy one level below the Pens.Well, I guess not anymore, now that we'll be division rivals.

I don't think the competition is significantly harder for Carolina under the new format. The average point total of their current division is 26.2. If we take the teams that will be in their new division the average point total is 27.8. Also, currently Carolina has to battle 14 other teams for 8 playoff spaces. That means that 53.33% (8 of 15) of the teams will make the playoffs in their current conference. Under the new system they will only be battling 6 other teams for 4 playoff spots. That means 57.14% (4 of 7) of the teams in their new conference will make the playoffs.
I dont know how to judge "significantly harder". Very subjective term.imo, it just got harder because now, they have to beat out 3 of a rather formidable 6 that are often strong teams. The only weak sister (NYI), is probably going to get better. The other 5 are all perennial contenders for the East, with maybe only NJ on a downward trend. Not to mention, these are all teams that spend to the cap. Say what you will, but Carolinas inability to spend to the cap and go over it by burying salary, is gonna hurt vs teams like NYR/Wash/PHI.I dont look at pts so far this year, cause I dont really believe Minn is the best team in the NHL, and Wash one of the worst. Do I think its a huge difference? No. But I think it got harder.Do I think its their own problem and its up to them to figure it out? Yes. Now they know what they have to do, and frankly, Im kinda hoping they rebuild for a year or two, cause as its going, they have no shot at competing with those teams.edit: They will also be playing a lot less games vs Wpg, TB, Fla, and a lot more vs Pit/Phi/NYR...that cant help.
I dont know how to judge "significantly harder". Very subjective term.imo, it just got harder because now, they have to beat out 3 of a rather formidable 6 that are often strong teams. The only weak sister (NYI), is probably going to get better. The other 5 are all perennial contenders for the East, with maybe only NJ on a downward trend. Not to mention, these are all teams that spend to the cap. Say what you will, but Carolinas inability to spend to the cap and go over it by burying salary, is gonna hurt vs teams like NYR/Wash/PHI.I dont look at pts so far this year, cause I dont really believe Minn is the best team in the NHL, and Wash one of the worst. Do I think its a huge difference? No. But I think it got harder.Do I think its their own problem and its up to them to figure it out? Yes. Now they know what they have to do, and frankly, Im kinda hoping they rebuild for a year or two, cause as its going, they have no shot at competing with those teams.edit: They will also be playing a lot less games vs Wpg, TB, Fla, and a lot more vs Pit/Phi/NYR...that cant help.
Under the current format they play NJ, NYR, NYI, PIT and PHI 4 times each AND WAS 6 times.Under the new format they would still play WAS 6 times AND would also play NJ, NYR, NYI, PIT and PHI 6 times each. The new format would only see two more games vs each of those 5 teams."A lot" is also very subjective. :club:

Sick stat of the day:New Jersey Devils have allowed only 5 PP goals...AND they have scored 3 shorthanded...Ridicolous.But their PP sucks really bad...except tonight.

The epitome of random hockey observations, stolen from Mike Sundheim via Bob Mckenzie on twitter:Mike Murphy (Carolina) is the first NHL goalie in history to record a loss before allowing a goal. He was the goalie of record for an Iginla empty-netter, and since Carolina scored two very late goals, the empty-netter became the game winner.Pretty funny.