• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

What do you guys think of the realignament being discussed today?I really liked it, but a couple of issues:1. Really wish they would go to 20 playoff teams. Just make the first rounds shorter.2. Carolina in new "Patrick" Division setup I dont like. Gonna be tough beating out Pitts+Philly+Wash+NYR+NJ for top 4, and sooner or later NYI has to get better. Also, would have been nice in same division as Leafs/Sabres/Mtl, would get more opp to see them in person, build rivalries with friends.

What do you guys think of the realignament being discussed today?I really liked it, but a couple of issues:1. Really wish they would go to 20 playoff teams. Just make the first rounds shorter.2. Carolina in new "Patrick" Division setup I dont like. Gonna be tough beating out Pitts+Philly+Wash+NYR+NJ for top 4, and sooner or later NYI has to get better. Also, would have been nice in same division as Leafs/Sabres/Mtl, would get more opp to see them in person, build rivalries with friends.
I think it is good. The only thought is the Florida teams being with Ott, Buf, Mon, Tor and Bos. I guess the only reasoning is because of the Canadians wintering in Florida to help with attendance.

They made a good point about the divisional style playoffs on Puck Daddy today, where it could get rid of the crazy late-season finishes. Like last year, there were a billion teams in contention on April 1st, but it wouldn't have been the same with the divisional proposal. Also, LA would have missed the playoffs while Chicago and Dallas would have gotten in. That's the only real con I can think of, outside of the fact that the Pens would be in Ottawa only once per year, and Montreal only once.

They made a good point about the divisional style playoffs on Puck Daddy today, where it could get rid of the crazy late-season finishes. Like last year, there were a billion teams in contention on April 1st, but it wouldn't have been the same with the divisional proposal. Also, LA would have missed the playoffs while Chicago and Dallas would have gotten in. That's the only real con I can think of, outside of the fact that the Pens would be in Ottawa only once per year, and Montreal only once.
That is a good point. Also, I find it funny that its not being mentioned at all that part of going away from divisional playoff matches was the boredom of always playing the same 2/3 teams in the playoffs. At least with a 7/8 team division, it shouldn't be so regular, but there was way too much of the same matchup over and over again. While thats a good thing for the heated rivalries, creates boredom in many other cases.

I think the Pittsburgh Penguins should be fined (or at least investigated) for the Letang incident. This is a repeat of the Crosby incident.

I think the Pittsburgh Penguins should be fined (or at least investigated) for the Letang incident. This is a repeat of the Crosby incident.
Yeah I'll bite...wtf are you talking about? He goes to the quiet room to be evaluated. Clears the tests and comes back to play the OT. Symptoms show up later and he hasn't played since. What's the problem?
Yeah I'll bite...wtf are you talking about? He goes to the quiet room to be evaluated. Clears the tests and comes back to play the OT. Symptoms show up later and he hasn't played since. What's the problem?
Who said he cleared tests?

In terms of the realignment:I like that it makes the lives on the central teams much better. The teams in conference B's lives will be much easier, and since the whole conference is essentially in the same time zone, it'll be much nicer on the fans watching the game. Same with conference A. The organization of conference C and D is a bit odd, but I guess they didn't want to break up the rivalries, so what they came up with works okay.My real problem is the playoff issue. It's really stupid that 4 teams automatically make it out of every division. And that is especially compounded by the fact that both divisions in the East have only 7 teams, as opposed to the 8 in the west. Here's what they should do:- Move a team like Columbus from B to C- Make the playoffs East/West as they are now. The 8 best teams from A or B get in, and the 8 best teams from C or D get in. No conference buys. That way, there are 7+8 teams in the East and 7+8 teams in the west.

In terms of the realignment:I like that it makes the lives on the central teams much better. The teams in conference B's lives will be much easier, and since the whole conference is essentially in the same time zone, it'll be much nicer on the fans watching the game. Same with conference A. The organization of conference C and D is a bit odd, but I guess they didn't want to break up the rivalries, so what they came up with works okay.My real problem is the playoff issue. It's really stupid that 4 teams automatically make it out of every division. And that is especially compounded by the fact that both divisions in the East have only 7 teams, as opposed to the 8 in the west. Here's what they should do:- Move a team like Columbus from B to C- Make the playoffs East/West as they are now. The 8 best teams from A or B get in, and the 8 best teams from C or D get in. No conference buys. That way, there are 7+8 teams in the East and 7+8 teams in the west.
I think Phoenix's inevitable move to Quebec City will take care of some of your concerns.

I agree with LLY. I don't like the playoff setup. I say once the playoffs come who cares about the conferences. Give the top 2 from each conference guaranteed spots just for sakes sake. Rank the teams from 1 to 16 and have at 'em. Obviously those who like the rivalries will disagree.In terms of a potential 32 team league, this is the best option. Even with Phoenix moving, it's fairly easy to adjust.

I think the re-alignment will work for the playoffs, less long road trips for teams during a series. Having to travel to and from Vancouver and San Jose in back to back series for a team like Chicago is brutal for players and fans.

I like the new divisions.As a Leaf fan I think its not bad..We get Florida and Tampa Bay who in the long are not as good teams as Philly,Pittsburgh and the Rangers. So its good to get away from those teams competing for the Playoffs.From what I understand with teams reseeding in the second round, teams like Toronto and Montreal have a chance to meet in the finals.

From what I understand with teams reseeding in the second round, teams like Toronto and Montreal have a chance to meet in the finals.
I hope this is true.I haven't read too much into it, but I thought there was the possibility of the top two teams in the NHL being in the same division and would meet in the 2nd round.

From what I've read two teams in the same conference can not meet in the finals.Top 4 teams in each of 4 conferences makes the playoffs.For each conference:1st place team vs 4th place team2nd place team vs 3rd place teamTwo winners play to determine conference Champion.Once 4 Conference Champions are determined, they are seeded and:1 vs 42 vs 3Two winners then play in Stanley Cup Finals.

Conference AANACGYCOLEDMLAPHXSJVANConference BCHICBJDALDETMINNSHSTLWPGConference CBOSBUFFLAMTLOTTTBTORConference DCARNJNYINYRPHIPITWSHBased on the current standings the first round would be:Conference A#1 Vancouver Canucks VS #4 San Jose Sharks#2 Phoenix Coyotes VS #3 Los Angeles KingsConference B#1 Minnesota Wild VS #4 Dallas Stars#2 Chicago Blackhawks VS #3 Detroit Red WingsConference C#1 Boston Bruins VS #4 Buffalo Sabres#2 Florida Panthers VS #3 Toronto Maple LeafsConference D#1 Pittsburgh Penguins VS #4 Washington Capitals#2 New York Rangers VS #3 Philadelphia Flyers

I'm not sure how I feel about the new alignment. I think it certainly changes things. Instead of fighting 15 other teams for a playoff position teams are now only fighting 6 or 7 teams depending on which conference they are in. Will this affect a team's strategy? Currently, do teams treat games against a team in their own conference a little differently than games against a team in the other conference? I think so.

Once 4 Conference Champions are determined, they are seeded and:1 vs 42 vs 3Two winners then play in Stanley Cup Finals.
They are seeded based on regular season points I'm guessing?

I've been thinking about it for two days and I think I'm not very impressed with the new system. Specifically, I don't like that two conferences have 7 teams and two conferences have 8 teams, and I also don't like the reseeding of teams after playoff rounds. This can all be easily and quickly resolved if one of the Conferences is named in my honor. ARE YOU LISTENING BETTMAN???I will also accept the Tugnutt Conference as a substitute.