Random Hockey Observations

some thoughts...1. What the fck is going on?2. Its really disgusting to me that in our society a family is finding out through the media about the death of a loved one. I can only hope it wasn't direct family, and it was just someone who couldn't be reached. Seriously, Im a fan....and I dont need to know. Keep it to yourself next time media.3. I cant help recall an interview I heard on Toronto's CFNY/The Edge radio station last year. They had Wade on often, and in the interview, it was being alluded to that Wade's career was nearing an end, and he was talking about how he's kinda looking forward to the next stage, and Dean Blundell, the host, pretty much offered Wade a gig on the show, saying seriously that he was consistently one of the funniest+favourite interviews of his, and Wade could make a career out of entertainment. I remember thinking I could see that happening, as Wade had a lot of charisma. The guy seemed like one of those special personalities, this just boggles the mind.Im not gonna speculate on what went wrong (well, I am, just not publicly, yet), but its hard to figure this one out at all.
I seriously just cant wrap my head around this.... this just doesnt seem possible.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

I dont think we should speculate anything, but this really is shocking to a lot of people.He seemed to be a very happy guy who loved life..We dont know what happens behind closed doors and what sort of demons he was dealing with.He had a new career he was going into, and just signed onto to do Battle of the Blades..So fricking upsetting..

I think this is a good time to see if there is anyone that you care about who you know is having a tough time. To let someone know that you care about them could mean the world

WTF?!?!?Last guy I would ever expect this to happen to! He was so full of life. Man, loved his personality. Completely shocked. Unreal! So sad.
At work today, toronto fire ran the call. This is simply unbelievable.... this wasnt him. He was a happy guy. I'm in shock...Edit: I just realized that his twitter page photo is the story and photo shoot I did with him for a magazine that I was editing.... https://twitter.com/#!/BelakWade
I seriously just cant wrap my head around this.... this just doesnt seem possible.
One of my close friends committed suicide shortly after high school was over. She was the one of the most full of life people I ever knew, happy all the time, one of those people that would brighten the room just by entering it. I had ZERO idea that she was ever depressed, I didn't even here about it until afterwards that she was on medication. Sometimes there aren't any signs that people are hurt, it sucks and is a tragedy.
This is a very sad day and a very sad off season.Wade Belak was one of my favourite Leafs when he was here..Seemed like he had a great family with a wife and two daughters.What a shame ..Apparently his family heard the news through the media...This is just heart wrenching
The part about his family nearly made me puke. What an awful, unbelievable thing.
One of my close friends committed suicide shortly after high school was over. She was the one of the most full of life people I ever knew, happy all the time, one of those people that would brighten the room just by entering it. I had ZERO idea that she was ever depressed, I didn't even here about it until afterwards that she was on medication. Sometimes there aren't any signs that people are hurt, it sucks and is a tragedy.
Well said. Think about yourself for a second (all of us), how many of us have things about ourselves that even people who know us well wouldn't know. Other than my wife, I can think of plenty of things that even my parents and closest friends don't know. And I'm someone without any significant issues. There are millions of people out there battling depression and other physical and mental illnesses. I know a few people on anti-depression meds. Some of them I've seen on bad days, but I've probably never seen them on their worst. Whether it is a physical illness, a mental illness, an addiction, or anything else, it is important to remember how many people suffer from these issues, and how few people most feel they can share it with. Ray is right - if you know someone, now is a great time to check in. And next week would be great too. And maybe just bring it up as often as you can, and make sure they know they have someone to talk to. Most of us may only know a couple people that we're close enough to, to be that person, but we should all make sure we are mindful of that responsibility.That was quite a rant. And it has basically nothing to do with Belak of course. Just a reminder that many people might seem happy or fine, but we've all got private demons, and not to forget that.

I want to say a few words about Wade Belak. I never knew him personally, but I know that he was a guy who I would have truly enjoyed my time with. A happy, joking, fun-loving guy who not only loved the game of hockey, but seemed to really tackle the media jobs that he did with full enthusiasm. On Leafs TV or in radio studios, he was entertaining and always willing/happy to poke fun at himself if it would make people laugh. He had a couple of jobs lined up for the season ahead - Battle of the Blades, as a contestent, plus a gig as a sidelines reporter or analyst (I'm not clear on which) for the Predators. He will never be forgotten by me, simply for the small role that he played in my life. Not so much an influence, but an interesting sidebar that I was always fond of sharing. When I worked in an office as an inventory planner and DobberHockey/THN/ Fourth Period/ Forecaster were just side jobs, I had my review and it wasn't favorable. Basically, I hadn't been putting in the effort and enthusiasm that I put in the year before (understandable, given that I was putting in a good 25 hours a week into my hockey stuff and was burnt out). My boss had decided to delay any raises for six months and then re-review. I was angry and frustrated, my heart was pounding when I left there because I was certain that when I returned on the Monday it would be to submit my resignation. Hockey was making me - enough, barely - to live on, and my wife was doing very well. So with those thoughts running through my head and trying to decide how to discuss/convince my wife, I get off the elevator and Belak walks past me. It really hits home, this memory, because he was with his little girl who at the time was the same age that my daughter Avery is right now. Just a beautiful, sweet little girl and I can't begin to imagine what she and her sister and their mother are going through and my thoughts and prayers - all of our thoughts and prayers - are with them. Wade stopped and talked to me for a moment, even though he was clearly busy he was also very approachable and took the time for me. He probably figured I was some weirdo, too, given my state of mind at that moment. Anyway, that day was a turning point in my life and in the direction of DobberHockey and Wade Belak's cameo, however small, will never be forgotten. - DDSource

Sorry, I assumed everyone around here knew my initials were DM.Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
Oh you did confuse me since I have only had 2 cups of coffee so far. I think I need a 3rd soon.

If I went from the Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks, to the Atlanta Thrashers, to the Winnipeg Jets in just over two years...I'd probably be doing some eating and drinking too. Hey, I have an excuse! I'm supporting Dustin Byfuglien.

If I went from the Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks, to the Atlanta Thrashers, to the Winnipeg Jets in just over two years...I'd probably be doing some eating and drinking too. Hey, I have an excuse! I'm supporting Dustin Byfuglien.
Not a good enough excuse for me. Drinking and driving a boat, imo is serious. I also rank those goofs on jetskis right with guys drinking on the water. Those jetskis goofs have no manners.