Random Hockey Observations

I m pretty wired right now. I finished second and I'm going golfing with mr Kessel. Thanks to some Burke like dealing thanks to Wayne.
I am feeling it too. Played awesome even though you were up against the dealer of death. That 2 outer you hit on the river was unreal.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Serge was actually a monster in this tourney. I sat at his table for a while and he made some excellent plays, and good calls. I think it broke his heart when he was the chipleader at the final table when we got to 4th spot (golf with kessel) and he couldnt win that prize, so I'm glad it worked out for him to trade around. Thanks for the support and coming out!

Serge was actually a monster in this tourney. I sat at his table for a while and he made some excellent plays, and good calls. I think it broke his heart when he was the chipleader at the final table when we got to 4th spot (golf with kessel) and he couldnt win that prize, so I'm glad it worked out for him to trade around. Thanks for the support and coming out!
Chris regardless of the outcome, I had a blast. I have to stay away from the pasta salad. It was good and since I got knocked out, I was eating it like crazy. I now have major gas.We started with 10,000 in chips. At the break I had 16,000 and of course spoke to Serge. I got this pic:poker4.jpgI think he farted in the chair.I lose afterwards when I go all in on the bully of the table (Dale Look A Like) and he calls me with 2-4 sooted. I had A-10 sooted but he hits a 2 and I get a draw for a flush. Of course I don't get it and it is hitting golf balls and eating pasta salad for me. I of course hang around to cheer Serge on. Here is when he won and was chip leader:poker3.jpgChris congratulating both players for getting this far:poker2.jpg(As you can see Chris and Serge do like each other)and Serge getting ready for the head to head matchup:poker1.jpgPersonally I think Serge is more excited about golfing with Chris than Kessel. I was lucky enough to be the 4th player and have to hit the range since I have not played in over 5 years.Boys I am up for any betting in golf but remember I really do suck. I shot maybe 100.

nice pics Wayne.Some of you may know the dealer that dealt the final table.He is long time friend and ex owner of the AHL Rug Rats Elliott.

New salary cap will be $64 million . This is great for large market teams like the Leafs, Flyers and Rangers.I found this link that shows all the salaries for the 2003-2004 year..Ironically only 4 teams spent more than the current $64 million. Sure there is inflation and such, however if the cap number keeps going up, its almost like having no cap...There will be a lot of teams that wont spend to the cap.2003-04 NHL Payrolls1- Detroit Red Wings ($77,834,100)2- New York Rangers ($77 018 715)3- Dallas Stars ($67 588 340)4- Philadelphia Flyers ($65 147 747)5- Toronto Maple Leafs ($61 758 540)6- St Louis Blues ($61 180 000)7- Colorado Avalanche ($60 877 458)8- Anaheim Mighty Ducks ($54 371 550)9- Washington Capitals ($51 131 500)10- New Jersey Devils ($48 082 898)11- Los Angeles Kings ($46 148 800)12- Boston Bruins ($45 750 000)13- New York Islanders ($43 803 000)14- Montreal Canadiens ($42 662 000)15- Ottawa Senators ($39 625 000)16- Vancouver Canucks ($38 699 500)17- Phoenix Coyotes ($37 847 500)18- Carolina Hurricanes ($37 836 238)19- Calgary Flames ($35 247 950)20- San Jose Sharks ($34 825 000)21- Tampa Bay Lightning ($33 535 379)22- Buffalo Sabres ($32 954 250)23- Columbus Blue Jackets ($32 085 000)24- Chicago Blackhawks ($31 580 000)25- Edmonton Oilers ($30 825 000)26- Atlanta Thrashers ($27 222 500)27- Pittsburgh Penguins ($26 605 000)28- Florida Panthers ($26 429 750)29- Minnesota Wild ($24 865 000)30- Nashville Predators ($23 172 500)

It's not like not having a cap, don't forget, there's a floor too. The idea is to have the teams spend a similar amount. Teams will have to spend between $48 and $64 million. That's a lot better than between $23 and $77 million in 2003-04. The league wanted parity, and for the smaller market teams to compete.

It's not like not having a cap, don't forget, there's a floor too. The idea is to have the teams spend a similar amount. Teams will have to spend between $48 and $64 million. That's a lot better than between $23 and $77 million in 2003-04. The league wanted parity, and for the smaller market teams to compete.
Good point.However when a team like Phoenix, Florida have to spend $48 million this is a problem too...
Why is it a problem?
because they cant afford it. They will lose even more money than they are already losing.
because they cant afford it. They will lose even more money than they are already losing.
Well, teams like Florida and Phoenix have just been horribly mismanaged. I know you're trying to turn this into "hockey in the south doesn't work", but if those teams had bothered building consistently winning teams (like Phoenix has started to do), they'd actually have fans interested in spending money on them, making it moot.You're an exception, because you're nuts (as is Toronto in general), but if your team hasn't made the playoffs for 9 seasons, most people are going to stop supporting them. Also, the Panthers made an awful decision putting their arena like an hour away from downtown Miami. They'd probably get more casual drop-in fans on game day, instead, they did the same thing Ottawa did and put their rink in the suburbs and now it's a whole ordeal to get to a game. I'm a huge hockey fan, but even I won't go through the traffic and hassle of getting to and from a game here when it's not the Penguins. And like, Ottawa was obviously brutal last year, and I doubt we sold out any games that weren't against Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh or Vancouver.But anyways, that cap SHOULD force those teams to spend to that amount, which SHOULD enable them to be competitive and actually excite their fans, but Florida, for example, and also Atlanta, had just been horribly mismanaged by the GM and the ownership over the last 10 years, and that's why nobody cares about them.Look at teams like Nashville, they're southern, a small market, and they only spend to the floor, but they consistently make the playoffs and have started building a very nice fan base. Look at what they spent in 2003-04... like $23 million. How could they ever dream of being competitive then? They couldn't, and they'd never draw and hold onto fans.It's a problem for the teams that can't manage their business, sure, but it's not a problem for the league as a whole. Plus, aside from a handful of huge markets, sports teams never make a huge amount of money. They tend to make little, breakeven, or lose. The odd teams lose a ton, but not many. The real value in sports teams is when you re-sell them, as for some reason they tend to increase in value no matter how much money they lose on an annual basis. (there was an example of this in basketball or baseball I read recently, but can't recall specifically.)

You make some good points, however in general yes my argument(an argument that you obviously dont believe) is that hockey doesnt work in the south with non traditional teams, with a few exceptions.I dont think you can blame everything on mismanagement. There is no way a team like Phoenix is going to spend $48 million on their payroll and survive..Its just not going to happen. They arent surviving as is.Phoenix isnt just losing a little bit. Some estimates have them losing as much as $30 million a year. I dont care how you spin it, thats just not going to work in the NHL.

Phoenix made the wrong decision to put their rink in the suburbs too. They won't survive for much longer, you're right.With respect to teams working long-term in the south, they need to be given the time to build up a fan base, and that takes a long time and it requires some sort of winning, not necessarily championships, but some sort of run or two to get people interested and have them fall in love with the game and the team. 14 years isn't enough, IMO, but since Phoenix hasn't been past the first round in years (if ever?), there's no reason for fans to attach themselves to the team at the numbers needed to sustain a major professional sports team.Teams like Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, etc have all shown how important it is to build a winning team in order to create lifelong fans, and those fans are the most important to these teams in the south. The bandwagoners come and go, and in a good season, they make you money, but it's the die hards that you need to grow and develop in order to keep teams afloat during rebuilds etc, and you just can't have them without winning in the first place.

Good point.However when a team like Phoenix, Florida have to spend $48 million this is a problem too...
Why is it a problem?
There's a structural problem with the NHL. Too many teams just don't have the base no matter how good or bad they are to support a $48 million payroll. The salary floor is a major major problem for the league and if they don't have more revenue sharing a large number of teams will never be economically viable.

I do agree that $48 is high for the floor, but it's the spread that's important, and I don't know if I'd want to see it be much bigger. It's a fine line between parity/balance and supporting the smallest-market teams. If the floor is significantly lower, those lower revenue teams will have a better bottom line, but they'll also never compete, ever, and will never grow in terms of brand value and fan base.I wonder what Winnipeg will plan on spending, salary-wise, given they are the smallest market in the NHL.

I do agree that $48 is high for the floor, but it's the spread that's important, and I don't know if I'd want to see it be much bigger. It's a fine line between parity/balance and supporting the smallest-market teams. If the floor is significantly lower, those lower revenue teams will have a better bottom line, but they'll also never compete, ever, and will never grow in terms of brand value and fan base.I wonder what Winnipeg will plan on spending, salary-wise, given they are the smallest market in the NHL.
Winnipeg is the smallest market in population but will probably be in the top 10 in revenue this year. I bet they have more revenue than the Red Wings next year.

I don't know, top 10 maybe, they still only have 15,000 seats they can sell per game. They've said they need to sell out every game to be profitable, and they will do that this year, I agree.Did they expect the cap to go up to $64M? That's higher than the estimates from a few weeks ago, even, not that they need to adjust their own internal budget or anything, but it will have an effect on how much RFAs and UFAs ask for, and how much the teams needing to hit the cap floor will spend on these types of guys.

It certainly sounds like Jagr wants to play with Pittsburgh and if they don't want him or both sides can't come to a $ amount then he wants to sign with Detroit.

I want Jagr so bad. I would take Morozov to, there's a reason he's the captain of Russia's national team all the time.
I can't think of many teams that could make a serious argument against bringing Morozov into the fold, he's a great player. He'll never be back though, any more than Yashin will.

Jagr is closing in on 40 and is 3 years removed from the NHL. I can see why some fans might be excited but I dont see him being a huge contributor..