Random Hockey Observations

Yes, I'm sure when everyone thinks of the Leafs, they think of how quickly the Leafs organization went from laughing stock to Cup winner...finalist....semifinalist....well, you know, contender. Yup, all done

Obviously you missed the point. They were a team with major issues and a lot of bad contracts and are now a legit contender within a 5 year span..The Oilers have been bad for much longer.

Not saying the Leafs of the 80 and 90s werent worse, just the new administration post Shanahan

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

So you were referring to only the last 5 years?

Quick, which one of the two organizations has been closer to a Cup in the last 5 years? Or last 2 years?

Only one of them has won a playoff round in the last 5years. Just one of them. Guess which team that was?

and then realize it was only 18months ago.

I understand today the Oilers look awful, and the Leafs look like the best team in the NHL on many nights, but really, stop counting your chickens before you ever even win a playoff round brother!

So you were referring to only the last 5 years?

Quick, which one of the two organizations has been closer to a Cup in the last 5 years? Or last 2 years?

Only one of them has won a playoff round in the last 5years. Just one of them. Guess which team that was?

and then realize it was only 18months ago.

I understand today the Oilers look awful, and the Leafs look like the best team in the NHL on many nights, but really, stop counting your chickens before you ever even win a playoff round brother!

I mean, the oilers were in the playoffs a couple years ago and they won a round didn’t they? Everything was trending up and then chiarelli just chiarellied it. That’s not to say the leafs will mess it up the same way, but nothing is a given.

They won one playoff round since 2006..They had the first overall pick 4 times in 6 years..

Sure you can argue the Leafs had a similar run in the Burke era, but the amount of high draft picks, the questionable trades and weird signings and the executive stays in place..

I mean, I assume nobody here is going to argue sincerely that the Oilers Rebuild has been more successful than the Leafs'.... right?

how do you define success?

Can you tell me how the Leafs rebuild has achieved success so far? And how its night and day different than the disaster that is the Oilers evidently in everyones opinion.

I dont want to be misunderstood, I think its great the Leafs have these top level stars and look like a force to be reckoned with. I think the management looks solid, the team is being built how I would want to build it.....but like take a step back, face some reality and tell me whats been achieved so far?

I mean, the oilers were in the playoffs a couple years ago and they won a round didn't they? Everything was trending up and then chiarelli just chiarellied it. That's not to say the leafs will mess it up the same way, but nothing is a given.

Nothing is a given, that is exactly my point.

Especially since they havent even won a playoff round yet, and the Oilers did so just 18months ago.

They won one playoff round since 2006..They had the first overall pick 4 times in 6 years..

Sure you can argue the Leafs had a similar run in the Burke era, but the amount of high draft picks, the questionable trades and weird signings and the executive stays in place..

Matthews 1st overall

Marner 4th overall

Reilly 5th overall

Nylander 7th overall

Kadri 7th overall

Tavares UFA

Andersen Trade

Its not like the core of this team was built without the help of high draft picks.

Remember how you never wanted them to tank for high draft picks, and you kept telling us how Edmonton+Florida? proved high picks dont work. :icon_smile:

btw, its pretty impressive that they managed to get Brown in 6th round, and Johnsson in 7th round. thats pretty sweet

how do you define success?

Can you tell me how the Leafs rebuild has achieved success so far? And how its night and day different than the disaster that is the Oilers evidently in everyones opinion.

I dont want to be misunderstood, I think its great the Leafs have these top level stars and look like a force to be reckoned with. I think the management looks solid, the team is being built how I would want to build it.....but like take a step back, face some reality and tell me whats been achieved so far?

I don’t necessarily think the Leafs rebuild can be considered a success at the current point in time, but the Oilers rebuild has been an unmitigated disaster.

I don't necessarily think the Leafs rebuild can be considered a success at the current point in time, but the Oilers rebuild has been an unmitigated disaster.

Im ok with calling the Oilers poorly run. My point wasn't that they aren't.

My point was its silly to say....the Oilers are a mess, look how successful the Leafs have been.

I would argue that while they have been bad, it would be wrong to assume that they are far from being a contender.

McDavid is 21. Draisaitl is 22.

Puljarvi is only 20.

There is still a very strong core there that could turn into a contender very soon, and in 2017, they looked very close to it. Some moves failed badly, but with a little luck, and some development of their youth, it wouldnt surprise me to see them make the playoffs this year, and go a couple of rounds next year

I don't necessarily think the Leafs rebuild can be considered a success at the current point in time, but the Oilers rebuild has been an unmitigated disaster.

if the Leafs dont win a round in the next 2 years, and the Oilers make the playoffs the next 2 years, can we then call the Oilers more successful?

I guess I find it hard to accept that the Leafs are deemed to be more successful, before ever having won a round in the playoffs in this rebuild, while the Oilers have been closer to a Cup than they have, and you call them an unmitigated disaster. I find it hard to get over the results as I see them, though I see the counter argument based on how the Oilers have fumbled some assets badly

Im ok with calling the Oilers poorly run. My point wasn't that they aren't.

My point was its silly to say....the Oilers are a mess, look how successful the Leafs have been.

I would argue that while they have been bad, it would be wrong to assume that they are far from being a contender.

McDavid is 21. Draisaitl is 22.

Puljarvi is only 20.

There is still a very strong core there that could turn into a contender very soon, and in 2017, they looked very close to it. Some moves failed badly, but with a little luck, and some development of their youth, it wouldnt surprise me to see them make the playoffs this year, and go a couple of rounds next year

I think any roster with Connor Mcdavid and Leon Draisatl is going to have a chance to compete, and some competent management could definitely lead them down a successful path in the next 5-8 years.

But..

The oilers drafted Mcdavid 4 years ago. Leafs Drafted Matthews 3 years ago.

I may be biased, but Based on strength of current roster and overall outlook for the next few years, the Leafs are in far better shape than the Oilers and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

The oilers current roster is quite frankly embarrassing, and the fact that young players like Puljarvi and Yamamoto are unable to stick around on merit is discouraging. While a lot of luck goes into the success of a rebuild, I think the Oilers chances have been destroyed by consistently terrible decisions by management that looked bad when they happened, and look worse as time goes on.

The firing of McClellan and hiring of Hitchcock is another poor decision, albeit a minor one.

I'm assuming it was that Safeway score and win contest

$50K for 20 years.

They most likely have a contract with an insurance company to pay out the top prize so their cost for the promo is fixed even if somebody wins the milly.