Random Hockey Observations

The reason? I got sick of the Leaf organization. Didnt like what Ballard stood for. I tried really hard to be loyal after all the crap with Sittler+McDonald, but after a few years, I started to just 'play the field'.

Strangely enough, mid 80s or so, I was a Ranger fan for a while, because I absolutely loved Tomas Sandstrom+Tony Granato, and then they got dealt for Bernie Nicholls, who was also one of my personal favourites as a teen.

But the Whalers were always team #1B for me throughout my life to the Leafs, because

1) I had seen 2 Whalers games as a kid at the Gardens in the early/mid 80s, and I came away soooo impressed with the way their fans travelled+acted so nice. I sat beside them at the top of the Gardens once, and came away so impressed

2) I loved Ron Francis

3) I loved underdog teams. I hate guys who became fans of the Steelers in the 70s or Islanders in the 80s or Bulls in the 90s

Then in 1994, someone I knew well as a kid was traded to the Whalers, and we went to visit him in Hartford, (I was 23 at the time) and I fell in love with the team even more when we saw the game, met some players. From then on I was hooked, and let go of all Leafs love, and years later took my allegiance to Carolina with them. Loved the Whalers when they took Nylander, and Nylander became my new Francis, because I always tried to play hockey (ball hockey) like Nylander, had a so so shot, but my passing was top notch.

My last nail in the coffin as a Leaf fan? When I heard that they could have signed Gretzky, and they didn't. Im guessing that was all at the same time, mid 90s or so, post Gilmour, so that was that.

I dont know who my top 10 fav players of all time are, but it would prob include Francis, Nylander, Gretzky, Sittler, Salming, McDonald somehow, for many diff reasons.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

I was

ahhh, I should have stuck with my first inclination.

thats what I thought at first, because I kind of think it is one of the best logos and I even like the colours of the jersey. (im not even a fan of green!)

but then I thought maybe im the only weirdo on here who likes the Whale logo. lol

not really loving the Golden Knights,,,,or the logo. Maybe it will grow on me though, im hoping to become a fan of the team (always love expansion drafts, and come on, we all love Vegas)

curious to see the jersey

3) I loved underdog teams. I hate guys who became fans of the Steelers in the 70s or Islanders in the 80s or Bulls in the 90s

Me too. My girls always ask why I became a fan of the New York Jets. I think Maples Leafs, Jays and Raptors are understood why.

I just latched on to them in my high school days and stayed with it.

I don't know how anyone, except the owners, could like the name Golden Knights for a NHL team.

foley was an army brat who went to West Point. The vegas hockey logo is a direct copy of the West Point Black Knight logo. Foley companies operate under the name Black Knight. So just another rich guy catering to his own tastes. Which is fine.

foley was an army brat who went to West Point. The vegas hockey logo is a direct copy of the West Point Black Knight logo. Foley companies operate under the name Black Knight. So just another rich guy catering to his own tastes. Which is fine.

I think he's just a huge Magneto fan

NhTkHGc.jpg

Quite the collection of minority owners of the Vegas Golden Knights...including Jose Bautista.

thats actually not true. Someone started that and it picked up steam.

Dubey...

- why are 90% of the fans in Minny wearing bright orange hats?

- are Wild games always this boring? I noticed low scores, but didnt think Boudreau would be playing such a crappy pace of hockey. is it just this game?

Actually not 100% sure. They were wearing orange jerseys for warm ups but I'm not sure the significance.

As for boring hockey. I dunno, sometimes. They are definitely less exciting to watch than the Leafs. More defensively responsible and less dynamic offensively.

- are Wild games always this boring? I noticed low scores, but didnt think Boudreau would be playing such a crappy pace of hockey. is it just this game?

Nope, super-duper boring team to watch. It is kind of fun to count the number of times they slash the hands of star players which they decide to collectively target but that's about it.

Nope, super-duper boring team to watch. It is kind of fun to count the number of times they slash the hands of star players which they decide to collectively target but that's about it.

The Wild are an exciting dynamic offensive team.

Nice of them to break out like that.

All they needed was for me to choose the goaltenders that were against them. There goes my FCHL game.

Ya I left mr two goals Coyle on the bench too. Cost me the game. Lol