• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Thanks for the tease..Piece of shit ESPN ..

You have to be an INSIDER to read the rest of the article

Thanks to a friend I got the rest of the article..Not impressed..They tease you like its going to be a huge article..Was only like another 2 paragraphs..

Thanks to a friend I got the rest of the article..Not impressed..They tease you like its going to be a huge article..Was only like another 2 paragraphs..

Well don't post it with spoilers and a subtle hint to what it is.

i cant recall the last time when the top 2 players in the NHL in assists, were playing on the same line.

You would think, by default, that the third member of the line would be leading in goals. LOL

Wow! Edmonton sucks.

I dont think even if they get McDavid or Eichel this team is considerably better..The team is brutal...The defence sucks..Goaltending is terrible...They dont have any depth up the middle..

This team is shambles...And might be for a long long time.

I dont think even if they get McDavid or Eichel this team is considerably better..The team is brutal...The defence sucks..Goaltending is terrible...They dont have any depth up the middle..

This team is shambles...And might be for a long long time.

I know you hate Damien Cox, but he raised an interesting idea: if you're Edmonton, do you investigate trading a potential franchise player in McDavid with no salary (entry level) for a couple of stars like Price/Subban or Quick/Doughty with very high salaries? Before you snap call 'no', think about it. You would get a franchise player and have salary cap space available to sign free agents that may mostly replace what you lost. Edmonton is never going to spend that money, so having the cap space for them doesn't matter. So if you're LA, say, you trade Quick and Doughty for McDavid. Then you sign a Bernier type for 5 million, and have 8+ million to replace Doughty. Hell, with Edmonton so lousy at team management, you may even get Quick and Doughty back in a couple of years and have all three.

It's an interesting thought. The main problem is that pretty much every superstar who is off their ELC has a no trade clause, and literally nobody is waiving a NTC to go to Edmonton.

• Like 1

I know you hate Damien Cox, but he raised an interesting idea: if you're Edmonton, do you investigate trading a potential franchise player in McDavid with no salary (entry level) for a couple of stars like Price/Subban or Quick/Doughty with very high salaries? Before you snap call 'no', think about it. You would get a franchise player and have salary cap space available to sign free agents that may mostly replace what you lost. Edmonton is never going to spend that money, so having the cap space for them doesn't matter. So if you're LA, say, you trade Quick and Doughty for McDavid. Then you sign a Bernier type for 5 million, and have 8+ million to replace Doughty. Hell, with Edmonton so lousy at team management, you may even get Quick and Doughty back in a couple of years and have all three.

Its interesting for sure..Its sort of similar to a Kessel type trade , but with much bigger names and implications.

The issue here is if I am Montreal, I dont think I make that trade...Trading Price and Subban for an unproven 18 year old? Sure he looks like the real deal, but he has never played a game in the NHL, and I am going to trade the two cornerstones to my franchise?

LA and Montreal might snap call no on that deal IMO..

I like the trade on the Oilers side as i dont think McDavid makes the team that much better...However PK and Price combo, Quick/Doughty combo would make them exponentially better overnight...

Edmonton's biggest problem is the total lack of them drafting and developing players who aren't high 1st round picks.

Look at Tampa. You might say oh they got Stamkos and Hedman with top picks but their 2nd line which is killing it right now came from a late 2nd round pick (Kucherov), a 7th round pick (Palat) and an undrafted free agent.

I don't think NHL teams can win unless they are getting players deeper in the draft and developing them into useful players.

Edmonton's biggest problem is the total lack of them drafting and developing players who aren't high 1st round picks.

Look at Tampa. You might say oh they got Stamkos and Hedman with top picks but their 2nd line which is killing it right now came from a late 2nd round pick (Kucherov), a 7th round pick (Palat) and an undrafted free agent.

I don't think NHL teams can win unless they are getting players deeper in the draft and developing them into useful players.

This, exactly. They have no one beyond the top 3 (yet) and they keep trying to band aid it with guys like Perron+Pouliot.

Keep in mind, not only have they whiffed on anything beyond those 3, there are a lot of 1sts that havent panned out for them too.

personally, I thought Paajarvi was going to be great, he looked so good his first year.

This, exactly. They have no one beyond the top 3 (yet) and they keep trying to band aid it with guys like Perron+Pouliot.

Keep in mind, not only have they whiffed on anything beyond those 3, there are a lot of 1sts that havent panned out for them too.

personally, I thought Paajarvi was going to be great, he looked so good his first year.

I think as proven by the Oilers example you can't strictly build thru high draft picks.

The Leafs lineup for example is filled with high end first rounders. But mostly not our own. Acquired thru trade and free agency.

To build a successful team trading has to be a part of it. Unless you are the pens and just get superstars falling on your lap.

Sure they made mistakes but I believe 29 other teams draft Yakupov in that spot.

Yakupov probably ends up being a really good player on 29 other teams too.

That's an interesting angle.

What's the deal there? Is he just not playing minutes? Does he suck? Or needs more time to develop?

I think lot of players are late bloomers. We have one here in Toronto. Kadri might be a good comparison??