Random Hockey Observations

I didn't mean to turn it into Leafs bashing, but he was just the first who came to mind as someone who probably also shouldn't have his job. but is clearly a part of the old guard. Edmonton is a lot worse though, I think. Those guys have little to no accountability, it seems.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

I didn't mean to turn it into Leafs bashing, but he was just the first who came to mind as someone who probably also shouldn't have his job. but is clearly a part of the old guard. Edmonton is a lot worse though, I think. Those guys have little to no accountability, it seems.

Ya. I get it.

It's just weird. They drafted 1,1,1,7,3 overall last 5 years. Maybe it's just bad luck.

It's not like they had Crosby, Malkin,Staal Fleury. Or Toews And Kane.

To be fair, the #7 and the #3 are pretty irrelevant at this point. #7 was Darnelle Nurse, a D-man who will take a few years to really become a solid NHLer (is he on the team today?)... and obviously #3 this year is still an 18 year old.

Hall, RNH, Yakupov are the real question marks though, none of them have really turned into the Stamkos/Tavares type 1st overalls they were hoping, though I think Hall has some serious potential to get there, and people really like RNH. Jury's out on Yakupov, I would guess. Still, it's only been a few years for a bunch of these guys. Yeah, they were 1st overall, but it's still not an overnight thing, especially with the garbage around them for the most part.

I still say it's too early to really write them off or anything this year, but if they continue to struggle, it wouldn't surprise me to see a coaching change first.

TorontoStar@TorontoStar 1h1 hour ago

Analytics suggest the best forwards in the @NHL last season were Crosby, Toews, and Bergeron. http://on.thestar.com/1tOs5Mz

Im a big fan of analytics, but sometimes, there are things that drive me crazy.

Extreme point: Bergeron scores a goal every game, and evert game he plays 15min. Crosby scores a goal every game, and every game he plays 16min. Hence, Bergeron is better because every 60min, Berg gets 4goals, and Crosby gets 3.75.

NOOOO. That makes the assumption that Bergeron's 16th minute is equal to his first. ITS NOT. Crosby plays more minutes, because his team needs him to play more. Not taking that into account, or other factors such as maybe Bergeron does not have the stamina of Crosby to play the extra minutes, does a disservice to statistics.

anyway, thats just one pet peeve, I got a bunch of others. Again, love analytics, but I really scratch my head sometimes.

fwiw, i love Bergeron, and agree that he is highly underrated.

It's to the point now that so many people recognize that he was underrated that he's now overrated

It's to the point now that so many people recognize that he was underrated that he's now overrated

lol.

im not sure i would say so many people recognize what Bergeron is worth. I think those of us immersed in hockey know it, but most casual fans do not.

how most foolish fans do it: Player is traded away, he comes back, they boo him

how Boston just did it: They are chanting Johnny Boychuks name as he comes on the ice, and clapping.

Very classy Bruins fans.

(hmm, didnt think Id ever say that!)

how most foolish fans do it: Player is traded away, he comes back, they boo him

how Boston just did it: They are chanting Johnny Boychuks name as he comes on the ice, and clapping.

Very classy Bruins fans.

(hmm, didnt think Id ever say that!)

Depends on if the player asked to be traded or pushed out of town.

@Russostrib: Per Elias, #penguins run of 18 straight goals prior to Niederreiter's shortie was longest unanswered streak since #coyotes in 03-04

I guess that rates as just sorta a bit remarkable.

@Russostrib: Per Elias, #penguins run of 18 straight goals prior to Niederreiter's shortie was longest unanswered streak since #coyotes in 03-04

I guess that rates as just sorta a bit remarkable.

The special team numbers are also pretty remarkable..

I would say that needs to be credited to the coaching staff...

Before Minny scored in the 3rd period tonight, Pittsburgh had scored 18 straight goals. That seems kinda remarkable.

holy cow.

I was going to say no way anyone has done that in decades, but ya, coyotes. Backup Brian Boucher starts due ot an injury, and he gets like 4/5 shutouts in a row.

damn, im way too into hockey stats.