Random Hockey Observations

Don't have the link, but there was a counter argument in the same paper, with doctors' opinions. I haven't read either.

My concern really isn't just with the NHL players health....its beyond that. I mean, I think its awful these guys are getting their head bashed in for money, but I can only imagine how much worse it is in the non-pros, or semi-pros, where 18yr olds are getting smashed in by 22yr olds, and guys with no income to live off of for the rest of their lives are damaging their brains. At least George Parros has a nest egg, what about the poor goon in OHL, then ECHL, who wont be able to work in his 40's cause light causes him migraines.

I still think fighting is barbaric, stupid, and ruins the game. I have little to no interest in watching a fight.

Burke is smart, and articulate. I can understand his argument. Personally, I'm still not buying it that without fighting, this game turns into a free for all. But he's played the pro game and been around it forever. I'm just some guy who watches it on tv.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Personally, I'm still not buying it that without fighting, this game turns into a free for all.

I hate this argument so much. If I was a hockey player, I would hate it even more. "You guys aren't capable of controlling yourself without the fear of getting punched." If guys are fighting because an opponent is taking shots at them, then those shots should be penalized if they are illegal. If they are within the rules of the game, you need to suck it up and take it.

I also hate his arguments about being more afraid of boarding and other dangerous acts. The presence of worse infractions doesn't make lesser infractions acceptable.

Finally, the idea that the players know the risks is pretty much meaningless. To use his own example, players know the risk of being checked from behind head first into the boards, but that is still legislated against. Why the distinction?

• Like 1

Finally, the idea that the players know the risks is pretty much meaningless. To use his own example, players know the risk of being checked from behind head first into the boards, but that is still legislated against. Why the distinction?

This is an interesting position given the NFL's situation. Those players "knew the risks" and yet there is a giant lawsuit. Seems like among former NFL players there is a divide between those who "knew the risks" and those angry that the NFL hid evidence (which the NHL may or may not have also done, but almost certainly did to a lesser extent than the NFL), and those that are just plain mad at a sport that encouraged the behaviour.

Downie back to the Flyers. Max Talbot to the Avs.

what's with Downie? I always think he's in a great spot, really playing well.....and then boom, gets dealt for nothing.

With Phi#1, he was really coming into his own, and then off to Tampa. With Tampa he started playing with Stamkos+St.Louis, and he started racking up pts, and then bam, off to Colorado.

The other night Im watching the Col game, and he fit in so well with the #1 line, I started to wonder about picking him up in pools. (hence FCHL)

Now, hes gone.

This is a bigger punch to the gut than Varly being arrested.

I don't get it.

Everyone loved Talbot in Pittsburgh, myself included. I think he'll be useful there.

Top 6 could be Duchene, Landeskog, Stastny, Tanguay, O'Reilly, Parenteau... and keep a 3rd line of MacKinnon, McGinn, Talbot? Talbot played the entire 09 Cup run with Malkin and Fedotenko as linemates, and scored twice in the Cup clinching game. He can play with skilled players.

The referee waving off what I presume are Holtby's teammate(s) while he stands there watching a helpless guy get pummeled in the head says a lot about fighting culture. Gross.

But hey, Flyers gon Flyer.

well that worked for Philly

Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 13m

Holmgren says Downie has a concussion from fight. Lecavalier has a facial injury and will miss time.

Anyone recall that sound bite they kept playing for the press conference after Berube was hired, of the reporter asking the owner about why they keep hiring from within, and maybe they should consider bringing in someone else non-Flywer to change up the culture.

Ed Snider I believe then says "there's nothing wrong with our culture"

I didn't see anything, but I would love to find out later Schenn is hurt, Lecavalier is hurt and Emery is suspended.

The fact the announcer says this is about firing themselves up and showing heart.....ummmm, maybe that should have been the before you went down 7-0. What a stupid bunch of people some hockey fans and players can be.

''He didn't want to fight, but I basically said, 'Protect yourself,''' Emery said.

Here are Emery's stats: GAA: 10.53 SV: 11

SV % .733

And the grossest part of all of this? He got the 3rd f-ing star of the game. Philly is garbage.

The referee waving off what I presume are Holtby's teammate(s) while he stands there watching a helpless guy get pummeled in the head says a lot about fighting culture. Gross.

But hey, Flyers gon Flyer.

How does that happen? Holtby was getting murdered. What if he got seriously hurt?

That's ridiculous.

Ray Emery loves this stuff. He went too far.