Random Hockey Observations

Pitiful. If I was a coach on that team his equipment bag and clothes would have been waiting for him in the hall and he'd have driven home in full uniform minus the jersey.

I have no tolerance for "me first" hockey players, you play for the name on the front.

Totally disagree with this. We don't know the whole story & don't point out the "stats" because we all know stats can be skewed. I'm not saying he was right to do it , just we don't know what happened all season. It looks like this locker room was divided & that is a coaching failure not a player failure.

Again I'm not defending that, I'm just pointing out that there is plenty of blame to go around & we don't know the whole story. I've seen lots of s**t in locker rooms that would just make you shake your head.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Pitiful. If I was a coach on that team his equipment bag and clothes would have been waiting for him in the hall and he'd have driven home in full uniform minus the jersey.

I have no tolerance for "me first" hockey players, you play for the name on the front.

Haha, well I don't think he would exactly have been sad not to be in the dressing room after doing that.

The article is even funnier - that it was high school, they lost the game because of it, and the fighting about starting goalies had been so significant that families and crap were involved.

If the season ended today 4 of the 5 teams in the Northeast would make the playoffs. Only one from the Southeast.

Same in the West..4 of the 5 teams in the Central would make it , and only one Northwest.

Its time for realignment of the divisions to be passed.

If the season ended today 4 of the 5 teams in the Northeast would make the playoffs. Only one from the Southeast.

Same in the West..4 of the 5 teams in the Central would make it , and only one Northwest.

Its time for realignment of the divisions to be passed.

The Atlantic have been a lock for 4 teams for most of recent history... Pens/Flyers/Rangers/Devils.

I don't know why this correlates to a desire for realignment, however.

I really don't know if I like the proposed 4 "conference" model. It's dumb when it's not balanced, IMHO. Why not just stick with 6 5-team divisions, send the top 2 in each one, and then have 2 wild cards in each conference? I don't know, I don't really know why we're changing what we have. Yeah, Winnipeg needs to go West... so send Nashville into the SE or something.

The Atlantic have been a lock for 4 teams for most of recent history... Pens/Flyers/Rangers/Devils.

I don't know why this correlates to a desire for realignment, however.

I really don't know if I like the proposed 4 "conference" model. It's dumb when it's not balanced, IMHO. Why not just stick with 6 5-team divisions, send the top 2 in each one, and then have 2 wild cards in each conference? I don't know, I don't really know why we're changing what we have. Yeah, Winnipeg needs to go West... so send Nashville into the SE or something.

I read something about a realignment that kept all the divisions. I'll try to find it, but I seem to recall it involved Dallas, Columbus, Winnipeg and I think Colorado moving. Winnipeg would move to the Northwest Division and Columbus would come to the Eastern Conference.

Random Hockey (forum) Observations

I enjoyed most, if not all, of Serge's posts in the hockey forum yesterday.

Lol. Like it

It's possible that Columbus could have 3 of the top 10 picks in draft.

Their own, Kings and rangers

See how they are gonna mess this up

Kudos to Cody McCormick for being respectful enough in his fight with Tanner Glass to allow him to free himself when Glass' jersey came up over his head. That little example of sportsmanship really impressed me:

• Like 1

1) Good for McCormick, I guess. It is certainly sportsmanlike to allow for a fair fight, though since you are trying to win the fight, and pulling the jersey over the head is a good way to do that, I don't really understand it.

2) To me, this is a good example of why there should be no fighting. Hockey players should fight if they get so pissed off that there is no other alternative. Better way to let off steam than smacking your stick over someone's head or cutting someone's tendon on purpose with a skate blade. But when all you have is a hockey game, occasionally interrupted by a strategically planned boxing match between two guys playing 4 minutes a game...I don't get it.

It's not that it isn't exciting, but the Ice Girls are exciting too. The fat middle aged guy shooting a puck the length of the ice for $50,000 is exciting too. They just aren't part of the game. If you want boxing at a hockey game, give up Glass and McCormick's roster spots to other guys, and pay them to strap on their gear and fight at center ice during an intermission.

1) Good for McCormick, I guess. It is certainly sportsmanlike to allow for a fair fight, though since you are trying to win the fight, and pulling the jersey over the head is a good way to do that, I don't really understand it.

2) To me, this is a good example of why there should be no fighting. Hockey players should fight if they get so pissed off that there is no other alternative. Better way to let off steam than smacking your stick over someone's head or cutting someone's tendon on purpose with a skate blade. But when all you have is a hockey game, occasionally interrupted by a strategically planned boxing match between two guys playing 4 minutes a game...I don't get it.

It's not that it isn't exciting, but the Ice Girls are exciting too. The fat middle aged guy shooting a puck the length of the ice for $50,000 is exciting too. They just aren't part of the game. If you want boxing at a hockey game, give up Glass and McCormick's roster spots to other guys, and pay them to strap on their gear and fight at center ice during an intermission.

I don't think you watch much hockey. I don't think you've ever watched much hockey. I doubt you've ever played much hockey.

McCormick hit Sutter from behind a shift earlier.

Isn't this exactly why we want fighting? This isn't just a staged fight, it's the players policing themselves.

That does change things quite a bit, in this scenario. Doubly so that McCormick understands why Glass is fighting him, and that it can really get things going (in a bad way) if he knocks the crap out of Glass with his jersey up.

I don't think you watch much hockey. I don't think you've ever watched much hockey. I doubt you've ever played much hockey.

Do you have an opinion that is relevant to the discussion?

That does change things quite a bit, in this scenario. Doubly so that McCormick understands why Glass is fighting him, and that it can really get things going (in a bad way) if he knocks the crap out of Glass with his jersey up.

Do you have an opinion that is relevant to the discussion?

McCormick held up because he would hope anyone (ex/ Glass) would do that same if he were in the same situation with his jersey over his head while in a fight.

Players rarely fight just because they are mad.

Strategy is a huge part of sports. Fighting is often used as a strategy.

I'm so far behind I skimmed a lot....

My only comment was about the facewashing. In the NCAA (and therefore ACHA which is the club level of college hockey that I ref), a facewash is now a game misconduct. It's dumb to do it anyway because full cages or shields are required.

The NCAA is doing a whole lot to take any type of head contact out of their game.

In our men's league, any kind of head contact is a game too. Any face wash (though majority wear cages), punches, etc are automatically a game. Haven't really seen it called though.

In our league, head contact is when the ref calls "I didn't see it, sorry...".