Random Hockey Observations

Connolly IS a really good hockey player, but staying healthy is something that helps the team, therefore he loses points for being consistently on the shelf.Even then, his career numbers are nowhere near that of Brad Richards. Connolly - 637gp, 121g, 284a, 405pts (0.636 ppg)Richards - 790gp, 226g, 503a, 729pts (0.923 ppg)Richards also has a Conn Smythe trophy and a Stanley Cup. It's not even remotely close. Richards is 1 year and 5 days older than Connolly.But don't let facts get in the way of bias.
People who bring up stats into a comment based fillibuster are usually the type of people that Occupy Toronto in tents.Just saying.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Oh Mr Tent man:Connolly is signed for half the price for one/45th of the length.Length= a little exaggerated to maintain some form of decorum

People who bring up stats into a comment based fillibuster are usually the type of people that Occupy Toronto in tents.Just saying.
Ok, Richards has been an alternate captain on two separate teams in his career. How about Connolly?Facts, not just stats any longer.
Oh Mr Tent man:Connolly is signed for half the price for one/45th of the length.Length= a little exaggerated to maintain some form of decorum
Well, we can argue about contracts, but that's different. You were comparing the players in terms of their abilities, as I read it.Connolly's cap hit is 71.2% of Richards'. Let's not worry about actual dollar amount, it's completely irrelevant to teams like Toronto and New York.Connolly's career PPG is 68.9% of Richards'. Comparing the two ratios above, it would suggest that year for year, Richards is of better value, without even taking into account the intangibles, which I believe to be in Richards' favor anyways.Term? I think it's irrelevant given that NYR has shown a willingness to bury bad contracts in the minors. They have the money. And, as a plus to them, if Richards is still a viable NHL player, they alone control whether or not he's on their roster. If Toronto likes Connolly, they'll have to sign him again, and probably give him a raise at the end of next season. I'd say the term might even work in favor of the Rangers here.
Well, we can argue about contracts, but that's different. You were comparing the players in terms of their abilities, as I read it.Connolly's cap hit is 71.2% of Richards'. Let's not worry about actual dollar amount, it's completely irrelevant to teams like Toronto and New York.Connolly's career PPG is 68.9% of Richards'. Comparing the two ratios above, it would suggest that year for year, Richards is of better value, without even taking into account the intangibles, which I believe to be in Richards' favor anyways.Term? I think it's irrelevant given that NYR has shown a willingness to bury bad contracts in the minors. They have the money. And, as a plus to them, if Richards is still a viable NHL player, they alone control whether or not he's on their roster. If Toronto likes Connolly, they'll have to sign him again, and probably give him a raise at the end of next season. I'd say the term might even work in favor of the Rangers here.
Your justification for term is flawed and has a deep gaping problem. The flaw is simple..We dont see a 30 year old player as a 7 plus year man. We have plenty of people coming up to take his role. You can bury contracts all you want but we dont see this as a viable solution in this case. Before you bring up the FIngering incident, get your facts straight and dont compare the two.A man by the name of Joey Colbourne will be available to pick up the Connolly situation in 2 years or less. Connolly is a man, a proud man to play on this wonderful team.

Is it the year of the backup gtd or what?Im getting screwed in my pool with Bryzgalov+Halak. (both being sat again for the backups)Elliott+Bob keep outplaying them!Also playing like crap+generally outplayed by the #2 are Miller, Luongo, Varlamov,Backstrom,Roloson, SMason.....

What's up with Elliot? Is he that good, or is STL just owning now? Pittsburgh barely had a scoring chance until the 3rd period against them, so it was tough to say Elliot had anything to do with the Blues' win.He was horrible here in Ottawa, except one time I got his family tickets to a Sens/Ducks game. Great seats! Thanks Brian!

Your justification for term is flawed and has a deep gaping problem. The flaw is simple..We dont see a 30 year old player as a 7 plus year man. We have plenty of people coming up to take his role. You can bury contracts all you want but we dont see this as a viable solution in this case. Before you bring up the FIngering incident, get your facts straight and dont compare the two.A man by the name of Joey Colbourne will be available to pick up the Connolly situation in 2 years or less. Connolly is a man, a proud man to play on this wonderful team.
That's fine about Colborne, I presented a hypothetical which has a NON-ZERO chance of happening. Colborne looks good, but so did Andrew Raycroft in his rookie year. Let's not forget Colborne only has a handful of NHL games under his belt. He's not a lock to be as good as Connolly ever. Hmm, looking more closely at Richards' deal, it looks like it has an NMC, which generally means no waivers/no demotions unless he agrees to it, so it'll be a lot tougher, however, in the 7th year of his deal, he's only making $1M, so retiring wouldn't be out of the question if he wasn't a viable NHL player, which would shed NYR of the complete cap hit going forward.And I'll talk about Fingering all I want (I didn't). It's the same situation as the Rangers and Redden. Both teams will use it if necessary to ice the best possible NHL team. Don't kid yourself.
What's up with Elliot? Is he that good, or is STL just owning now? Pittsburgh barely had a scoring chance until the 3rd period against them, so it was tough to say Elliot had anything to do with the Blues' win.He was horrible here in Ottawa, except one time I got his family tickets to a Sens/Ducks game. Great seats! Thanks Brian!
He's an assh-le. He's constantly fcking me in my big $ pool.2007I drafted him as a minor leaguer. He started to play really well in the AHL. My friend, a linesman in the A, tells me he looks fantastic.2008He starts for Ottawa. Suddenly taking the #1 from Gerber, and my pick looking ingenius. Then, just when I called him up, he sucked, and Ottawa traded for Leclaire. #2 again. I dropped him, and some GM took a flyer on him. I finish in 2nd place. If Elliott had held onto the job, I would have easily won. Cost, $3000.2009-2010The next year, the guy who picked him up narrowly edged me out for first place in the last week. The difference? Goaltending wins+GAA. Elliott had a career year of 2.57 and won 30games, when he came into the year clearly as the #2.(cost $3000)2010-2011. I dont touch Elliott. Guess what? He sucks. I rebuild, and take Jaroslav Halak off a team as one of my gtd building blocks.2011-2012 I dont touch Elliott with a ten foot pole. But I do keep Jaro Halak as one of my best keepers. Cue StLouis signing Elliott in the offseason. I worry, but I start to read that St.Louis might send Elliott to the AHL, and have Bishop backup. Either way, Halak is the man.Guess what? If the season ended today, Elliott is a fcking Vezina candidate, if not easy winner.That was fun.
Actually, what's up with Halak? Flash in the pan in that MTL playoff run?
shrugI dont know. I dont think so, but who can be sure. He hasnt actually played that bad, just Elliott looks ridiculous, and they keeping winning his games, and losing when Halak plays and only gives up 2goals.
shrugI dont know. I dont think so, but who can be sure. He hasnt actually played that bad, just Elliott looks ridiculous, and they keeping winning his games, and losing when Halak plays and only gives up 2goals.
Like you said, it's the year of the backup.

Last season I would have said Brent Johnson was the best (true) backup in the league, this year, not even close. He's been really bad. Used to feel confident with him in net, now I just know we need 4+ goals to win.

Last season I would have said Brent Johnson was the best (true) backup in the league, this year, not even close. He's been really bad. Used to feel confident with him in net, now I just know we need 4+ goals to win.
Are you interested in one of our goalies..You will like Jonas Gustavvson, he comes with a well known nickname..He will fit in.:club:
He's 'always' been streaky. Seems to do pretty well as a backup / short-term relief but falls apart as a starter.
Pit vs Habs -- you can cheer against both teams!
Its not fun matchup for me, but it worked out that I have a party to attend tonight..So No Leafs worked out.A nice way to end the weekend tomorrow Leafs vs Anaheim after the Grey Cup.

I think out of many many hockey personalities, Kelly Hrudey might be my favourite. He just spoke about being a goaltender who has lost the confidence of his teammates, and how he went through it. I feel like he just speaks honestly and with total objectivity. Id pay to watch him every night on every game I watch.

I think out of many many hockey personalities, Kelly Hrudey might be my favourite. He just spoke about being a goaltender who has lost the confidence of his teammates, and how he went through it. I feel like he just speaks honestly and with total objectivity. Id pay to watch him every night on every game I watch.
I think we are all in agreement in this, but why isnt he featured more?Put him between the nets and not the Midget Healy..
I think we are all in agreement in this, but why isnt he featured more?Put him between the nets and not the Midget Healy..
Between the benches (i'm assuming thats what you mean) is for the third guy on a three man crew. Hrudey is definately a two guy. I really like Hughson and Hrudey together, great chemistry there...
Does Hrudey even do games? I thought he was just a studio guy? Hughson is usually with Craig Simpson, who is also good.
Yeah, he does games occasionally. I really like him as the two guy, although they seem committed to making him into the possible replacement for cherry down the road... And yes, I like Simpson too... although he doesnt seem to offer the same inside the head of the hockey player look that Hrudey does. On a side note, how bad are these Ron Maclean drills on HNIC?? no offense to mclean, who I like, but it doesnt have much credibility..

More Vityaz KHL garbage:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...urn=nhl-wp18341I just don't understand why this is still happening. If I'm head of the ref association, I refuse to put my refs out there. If I'm an opposing team, I refuse to play them. It's that simple. I mean, it isn't, because half the league is mob run, and if they're still allowing this to happen, then I'm sure there would be big penalties for a team refusing to play, but this seems ridiculous. I'm really just surprised that the backlash has not been significant enough that this kind of thing just stops.