Random Hockey Observations

The Long Island situation is a disaster. They need a new arena and they cant get the support. Good thing for Isles fans is that they cant go anywhere till 2015 and by then something will change. If the lease was up already I m sure Wang would of tried to move the team ASAP.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley last weekend. I was with (non-hockey caring/knowing) friends waiting to cross the street before the game and this hot blond was crossing the other way. I checked her out...then realized she was walking with Toews. I looked to my friends to point him out and realized none of them would know who he was or care. I was gonna yell "Go Pens!" to him but just said nothing. He walks by hundreds of people while I'm watching him and no one said a word to him that I heard, kinda surprising to me.Good story, huh?

I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley last weekend. I was with (non-hockey caring/knowing) friends waiting to cross the street before the game and this hot blond was crossing the other way. I checked her out...then realized she was walking with Toews. I looked to my friends to point him out and realized none of them would know who he was or care. I was gonna yell "Go Pens!" to him but just said nothing. He walks by hundreds of people while I'm watching him and no one said a word to him that I heard, kinda surprising to me.Good story, huh?
not bad
Very good story.
I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley last weekend. I was with (non-hockey caring/knowing) friends waiting to cross the street before the game and this hot blond was crossing the other way. I checked her out...then realized she was walking with Toews. I looked to my friends to point him out and realized none of them would know who he was or care. I was gonna yell "Go Pens!" to him but just said nothing. He walks by hundreds of people while I'm watching him and no one said a word to him that I heard, kinda surprising to me. So I decide to go up to him and say hi. So I'm all like "Hey Johnny Toews, you rock the NHL my man, mad props to you, bitch". And Johnny says to me," wow, Dude, you are hella cool, sorta like that guy in the Big Lebowski, ya know, the one that bowls?" And I'm like, 'DUDE! That was the guys name in the movie!! You got it and you didn't even know it!! DUDE!! You rock!". And JT (we're tight now, so I'm calling him JT), he says to me, "Bro, listen... righteous bros like you are few and far between. This super hot chick I'm with, well, this kinda pussy is a dime a dozen, and I got brazillions of dimes, so I'm gonna tell her to get lost, and you're gonna come to the Cubs game with me, cool?" And I'm like 'Cool!'. So he tells the bitch to walk, and we cruise into the game. Anyway, so we're sitting in the bleachers, and we're like drinking beers like mad dogs, and people around us are clueing into the fact that this is Johnny Toews, partially cos I keep screaming 'HEYTHISISJOHNNY****INGTOEWSSITTINGINTHEBLEACHERSWITHMEYOUDONKEYS!'. So they're buying us lots of beers, and we're getting pretty wasted. So all of a sudden they do this 'Kiss Cam' thing on the scoreboard, and they put the camera on me and Johnny****ingToews. Before I can say Stanley Cup, the dude whips around and plants a huge french kiss right on me. Well, the crowd goes absolutely psycho. It was pretty wild, I gotta tell you. Anyway, long story short, I moved in with him and he's asking for a trade to New York so we can get legally married.Good story, huh?
HAHA, thanks for the added details to the story, Chris. I thought I said to keep those between you and I?
Youtube, bro.... but you DID win Best Kiss Cam Kiss at the ESPYs!!

This is pretty funny:mirtle James Mirtle "Wait - didn't we sign in Atlanta?" RT @SlavaMalamud: Atlant held a presser introducing Alexei Kovalev, Nik Zherdev and Branko Radivojevich.

I didnt realize until today that MLB teams CANT trade draft picks.You have to make all your draft picks. How different would the NHL be if you couldnt trade future draft picks?Understandably an NHL draft pick has way more value than an MLB pick, where the commodity is less defined , especially past the top half of the first round.

I didnt realize until today that MLB teams CANT trade draft picks.You have to make all your draft picks. How different would the NHL be if you couldnt trade future draft picks?Understandably an NHL draft pick has way more value than an MLB pick, where the commodity is less defined , especially past the top half of the first round.
Not only can they not trade a draft pick, but they can't trade a drafted player for at least a year! And this all started because back in the 80s Pete Incavilia (sp?) did the same thing many NHL'ers have done - refuse to play for the team that drafted him, forcing a trade.There isn't a standard contract in the MLB though, so players do have the option of not signing and potentially getting more money at least in the future.I'd say the commodity is similar in the top-10 picks or so, and more valuable in baseball after the first several rounds. For most of the first few rounds though, hockey picks are definitely more valuable, relative to the league.

Does anyone else wonder if there is something really broken with hockey, fighting, and the pain they cause, that force some to abuse drugs+alcohol? I cant be the only one wondering if Boogard, Rypien are just the tip of the iceberg?

Probert...Although when Rypien took a personal leave last season, he stressed it wasn't substance-related.
Even if it doesnt lead to abuse of drugs/booze, maybe it leads to depression? Is this something he always had, or came about later?I cant shake the feeling of that guy on Washington, who was a scorer in the minors, but found out he could only survive in the NHL by fighting. I have a hard time believing that some of these fighters dont get really messed up in the head from this stuff. I know Id be scared shitless going into games knowing I had to fight to keep my job.At some point, dont we have to wonder about these coincidences with these guys? Forgot Probert, and I think Im forgetting quite a few others too.

By all accounts Rypien suffered from depression, not substance abuse.The other side of the coin says maybe guys with substance abuse problems are more fit for the enforcer role.I don't think the role of enforcer is leading to the death of these guys.

Definitely think it could lead to mental problems.I would LOVE it if they got rid of the guys who are strictly goons. It's unfortunate they'd lose their 500k+ salaries, but really, I don't think they play any reasonable part of the game, and it would be for their overall long-term benefit, health-wise. However, I would never want fighting eliminated. It's certainly necessary at some points, when emotions are high, in a physical game.If fighting were eliminated entirely, I would bet you'd see a LOT more stickwork. A lot more vicious slashes, cross-checks, etc, if you can't drop the gloves with someone to settle your little dispute or whatever the case may be.The staged fights are so meaningless though, and evidence is coming in to suggest they are doing far more bad than good.And I don't buy it for a second that having Steve MacIntyre on the Penguins protects Sidney Crosby in any way. They aren't skating together, he'd be getting 90 seconds of ice-time a night, and the only people who would fight him anyways are the other team's mega goons. Sid has a guy like Kunitz on his line, Malkin used to have Malone, etc. Those guys will stand up for their teammates and fight when it's necessary, but they're not goons, and they don't have to prepare to fight the toughest guy on the other team every single night. You know?

Does anyone else wonder if there is something really broken with hockey, fighting, and the pain they cause, that force some to abuse drugs+alcohol? I cant be the only one wondering if Boogard, Rypien are just the tip of the iceberg?
that was my thought exactly when I heard of the death this morning. Well, not Drugs I guess, but possibly depression, and general mental state.