Random Hockey Observations

Ranking the NHL's 30 broadcasting teams:http://www.sbnation.com/2011/7/8/2250696/n...rs-commentators
When I read the title that implied Jack Edwards was near the top, I was very concerned. Glad to see that he was not, and the list is mostly reasonable.When Dr Z was on Yahoo, he was the only reason I read any NFL.
Matt can confirm or deny this, but just based on a small sample size, the home anouncers for the CHicago white Sox are the worst homers I have ever come across.I happened to watch a 10th inning of a game this year where the opposing team hit a 3 run home run to take the lead. The anouncer sounded like somebody had just shot their puppy.
Hawk! He is well-known as the Jack Edwards of baseball. I think Matt has complained about him before. Like Edwards and Pierre McGuire (before), he is an embarassment even to the home fans.
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

I am sure the Pens fans can explain why, but why the hell doesnt Mike Lange do Pens broadcasts?As much as I hated the Pens over the years, there wasnt a greater announcer than Lange, maybe with the exception of Rick Gennerette(sp).I have also mentioned before that there is nothing wrong with being a homer...I think these guys are obvious homers and I love them because of it.
As far as I've heard it was because of differences with Fox Sports Pittsburgh. Now that Root Sports has taken over maybe that can change. I'm not sure how much really changed from a personnel standpoint though. I think I've heard that Steigerwald and Errey's contracts are both up and there's talk about trying to bring in a bigger name like Doc Emerick. (who's NJ contract is up). There's also always been a movement to bring Mike Lange back to TV but I'm not sure if that bridge is burned or not.I don't have a problem with "homer" announcers. These rankings are for local broadcasting teams...not national.

So it appears that the contract offer for Drew Doughty is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 years at $65 million. The only sticking point is that Doughty wants a NMC (at 21 years of age, mind you) and the club doesn't want to give him one for that long. For $65 million you could trade me to any team in the league and I'd just show up and do my job with a big old $65 million smile on my face. Demote me to the ECHL...don't care. Go play in Finland? No problem, Scandinavian women are HOT.

So it appears that the contract offer for Drew Doughty is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 years at $65 million. The only sticking point is that Doughty wants a NMC (at 21 years of age, mind you) and the club doesn't want to give him one for that long. For $65 million you could trade me to any team in the league and I'd just show up and do my job with a big old $65 million smile on my face. Demote me to the ECHL...don't care. Go play in Finland? No problem, Scandinavian women are HOT.
Heh, I'm inclined to feel the same. Though if I'm in Doughty's position, I'm willing to take at least $10M less, maybe more (numbers at this point don't mean much to me, I guess), to have that. This is a player who's contract will make him one of the most valuable/best defencemen of our generation. If I'm that player, I don't want to waste my career in Phoenix or Columbus, just because my team's needs changed, or Mike Richards was being a bitch, etc.I like what some MLB teams have done, which is allow a player to submit a list of teams - maybe 10-15, that they cannot be traded to. That list can be updated every year, once per year. Great way to allow the team flexibility, and prevent you from being sent to Siberia/Columbus.

From Puck Daddy - regarding the Islanders being $10M below the cap floor:"LA was in this position a few years ago, it looked like they wouldn't hit the floor. People were asking what the penalty would be, fines, forfeiture of games, etc., and all that's in the CBA is that they would be ineligible for revenue sharing. Well, the LA — and the Isles — are ineligible for revenue sharing because of the markets they play in. No team that plays in the 4 largest media markets can be eligible for revenue sharing. For teams like the Isles, it's a penalty without any meaning."Apparently they got this from a letter from a reader. Anyone confirm this? If so, then we might as well just stop talking about the Islanders and the floor, because there is 0 incentive for them to get there.

I'm fairly certain a player is not eligible to receive an NMC until he's been in the league for X number of years. It's the reason why Jeff Carter's didn't kick in until this season, and how he was able to be traded. I think it's 5 or 6 seasons or a certain age? Doughty wouldn't be eligible under either criteria. They could have one kick in after 3 seasons or something. Dunno why LA wouldn't want to do that.
I like what some MLB teams have done, which is allow a player to submit a list of teams - maybe 10-15, that they cannot be traded to. That list can be updated every year, once per year. Great way to allow the team flexibility, and prevent you from being sent to Siberia/Columbus.
A lot of NHL NTC's have that condition, with varying numbers of teams the player can opt not to be traded to. Al Kotalik got an NTC out of the Rangers somehow, but it's a modified NTC, he's only allowed to specify a certain amount of teams he can't be traded to, and apparently Calgary and Buffalo didn't make the lists because he's been traded twice already. I like that much better than a player having the power to just say "nope, can't trade me, ever"...I think it's stupid that any NHL teams allow that kind of power to rest with the player.

The Islanders will sit tight and wait until a team needs to shed salary and then Garth Snow will move in and make a trade. Book it.

I'd rather have the guy who's missing the net 8 out of 10 times trying to snipe a corner for a better scoring opportunity than have the guy who buries it in the goalies chest protector, gets the shot on net, but the goalie stops it 10 out of 10 times.

I'd rather have the guy who's missing the net 8 out of 10 times trying to snipe a corner for a better scoring opportunity than have the guy who buries it in the goalies chest protector, gets the shot on net, but the goalie stops it 10 out of 10 times.
Look people, how many times do I need to tell you this? SCOTT CULLEN IS A FRIGGING MORON. HIS ARTICLES ARE A WASTE OF INTERNET. STOP READING THEM.
EXACTLY. HE JUST MASHES NUMBERS TOGETHER AND PREACHES THE RESULTS AS GOSPEL. HE DOESN'T USE ANY ****ING CONTEXT OR ANYTHING, IT'S SUCH A WASTE OF INTERNET.
They should have put in a minimum shot requirement, so Mike Comrie isn't taking up space with his whopping 25 attempts at #7 for the forwards.
He does! The number is 20. Apparently, Mr Math Cullen felt that this was a reasonable minimum.
EXACTLY. HE JUST MASHES NUMBERS TOGETHER AND PREACHES THE RESULTS AS GOSPEL. HE DOESN'T USE ANY ****ING CONTEXT OR ANYTHING, IT'S SUCH A WASTE OF INTERNET.
u feeling ok?
Have you slept yet?
Way to unleash the fury! Let it all out. <grin>
He does! The number is 20. Apparently, Mr Math Cullen felt that this was a reasonable minimum.
*I* could get 20 shots on goal in the course of a season, health-permitting.