Random Hockey Observations

This has NOTHING to do with hockey..I am sitting at Subway having lunch before my next appointment..The conversation that is going on with this chick and her friend is insane..Blond ....So you are a vegan?Friend...no i just dont eat meat?Blond...Oh so do you eat fish?Friend..No..Blond..You are missing out...I love fish..I dont like Seafood, but I love fish..Then she goes up to this dude that is having a sub who came on a motorcycle..She starts picking him up, gives him her number..
Matilda: I became...Hansel: What?Matilda: Bulimic.Derek Zoolander: You can read minds?
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

This has NOTHING to do with hockey..I am sitting at Subway having lunch before my next appointment..The conversation that is going on with this chick and her friend is insane..Blond ....So you are a vegan?Friend...no i just dont eat meat?Blond...Oh so do you eat fish?Friend..No..Blond..You are missing out...I love fish..I dont like Seafood, but I love fish..Then she goes up to this dude that is having a sub who came on a motorcycle..She starts picking him up, gives him her number..
I gotta get a bike.
I gotta get a bike.
You should of seen this guy..Very nerdy, but had all the gear and a sick bike..The chick was very hot..and she was all over him..
Saying No to your country This article is getting a lot of backlash, mostly from Canadians, mostly cause it mentions Crosby. But if your read it without prejudice, IMO, its very true, and serves as a cold wet reminder of what the players really owe to their country, no matter which nation it might be. I agree with a lot of it, and I hate the idea of Hockey Canada jumping to their players defense and kissing their asses.

Maybe make the WC's relevant, and then complain when the best players don't show up.Russia has won 26 straight games for a reason, and that's because they're the only team that bothers to show up.Don't blame the players, they run this tournament DURING the grueling NHL playoffs. Maybe put in August or July, and you'll get a lot more of the top tier participants.

http://www.sportspickle.com/article:923/fl...imon-gagnes-carFlyers Fan Apologizes for Vandalizing Simon Gagne's Car
Quebec native Simon Gagne returned to his car after practice yesterday morning to find that the tires were slashed and windows were broken. On the driver's door was spray-painted: "GO HOME FRENCH F##GOT!""I walked out to my car and couldn't believe what happened," said Gagne. "I asked a guy standing there if he saw who did it and he said: 'Yeah! Me, man! I saw a Quebec license plate and I did what needed to be done!' And then he tried to give me a high-five."Gagne, the Sainte-Foy, Quebec native who has scored six goals during Philadelphia's six-game playoff win streak, then used his cell phone to call team security to deal with the fan."I want to win the Stanley Cup," said Gagne. "We all do. But it's really hard playing for these people sometimes. I think Scott Hartnell is the only one who likes them. Probably because he's even dumber than they are."But Gagne stressed that not all Philadelphia fans behave in a boorish, violent or criminal way."I don't want to paint with a broad brush," he said. "Only 80, 85-percent are like that. There is a small percentage of nice ones."The fan who vandalized Gagne's car said he was disappointed to hear the star center is from Quebec."That's f--king gay, man," said Tommy Jenks. "I thought he was from Philly. I don't know how much I can cheer for him anymore. At least we got people like Danny Briere. That's a good Philly name. I know a bunch of people named Danny."
Maybe make the WC's relevant, and then complain when the best players don't show up.Russia has won 26 straight games for a reason, and that's because they're the only team that bothers to show up.Don't blame the players, they run this tournament DURING the grueling NHL playoffs. Maybe put in August or July, and you'll get a lot more of the top tier participants.
There is no reason to have a WC during an Olympic year IMO..Maybe just have it once every two years...July probably wouldnt work, but late August isnt a bad idea.
What came first, the irrelevance of the tourney or the players lack of interest?let me ask another question....is it irrelevant because the public doesnt follow it? is it therefore irrelevant cause being on that stage doesnt get them any publicity as a player and help them sell their image? Why not just go and play for pride? Isnt that what the Russians are doing?Cause as someone who loves to play sports, I play all the time just to win and compete. We all do. Im not a pro, but then again, I dont think the real atheletes should forget where they came from, and what helped get them there. Ill bet all of them played hurt/tired/exhausted when they were 18, hoping it would help their draft stock.I agree with the writers comment of "tired" being a shitty excuse. If your hurt, and lets face it, many that just got knocked out are, fine. But if so, say it. Dont give me "declined cause Im tired". btw, this has nothing to do with Crosby for me. He is a terrible example. There are many others who have no business turning down their country's call.

To anyone that cares..It looks like I will be going to Vegas for an impromptu trip to hang out with the brother in law..Its looking like second or 3rd week of June..It cant be the weekend of the 5th or the weekend of the 27th..Where are u staying Arp?Your uncles place??********MGM

Saying No to your country This article is getting a lot of backlash, mostly from Canadians, mostly cause it mentions Crosby. But if your read it without prejudice, IMO, its very true, and serves as a cold wet reminder of what the players really owe to their country, no matter which nation it might be. I agree with a lot of it, and I hate the idea of Hockey Canada jumping to their players defense and kissing their asses.
What came first, the irrelevance of the tourney or the players lack of interest?let me ask another question....is it irrelevant because the public doesnt follow it? is it therefore irrelevant cause being on that stage doesnt get them any publicity as a player and help them sell their image? Why not just go and play for pride? Isnt that what the Russians are doing?Cause as someone who loves to play sports, I play all the time just to win and compete. We all do. Im not a pro, but then again, I dont think the real atheletes should forget where they came from, and what helped get them there. Ill bet all of them played hurt/tired/exhausted when they were 18, hoping it would help their draft stock.I agree with the writers comment of "tired" being a shitty excuse. If your hurt, and lets face it, many that just got knocked out are, fine. But if so, say it. Dont give me "declined cause Im tired". btw, this has nothing to do with Crosby for me. He is a terrible example. There are many others who have no business turning down their country's call.
I really disagree. These guys are tired, they do a lot, and the tourney doesn't matter. I'm also pretty sure the tourney didn't matter before players stopped participating. It is kind of a catch-22, since if the majority played, the tourney would automatically matter.Still, the article is way off base IMO. It reads like it was written by a grade 10 student. All these spoiled rich and famous athletes owe something to everyone, and they're too spoiled to realize it. Many/most of the athletes do a ton for their community and their country. Many help their national federations, not that they owe them much, if anything.For the IIHF to single out players for not playing is just so far out of line. Why were these decisions not kept private? What right does the IIHF to question the integrity? If I was one of the players who he implies is faking an injury, or even mentioned at all, I'd never play in an IIHF event until this guy was fired or issued an apology. If this article is supposed to encourage players to play, it has done the opposite and made the tournament even more irrelevant.
http://www.sportspickle.com/article:923/fl...imon-gagnes-carFlyers Fan Apologizes for Vandalizing Simon Gagne's Car
No way this is real! The quote says he thought Simon Gagne was from Philly. And since he's not he won't cheer for him anymore, but thank goodness for good Philly boys like Danny Briere. It's a joke...right?
I really disagree. These guys are tired, they do a lot, and the tourney doesn't matter. I'm also pretty sure the tourney didn't matter before players stopped participating. It is kind of a catch-22, since if the majority played, the tourney would automatically matter.Still, the article is way off base IMO. It reads like it was written by a grade 10 student. All these spoiled rich and famous athletes owe something to everyone, and they're too spoiled to realize it. Many/most of the athletes do a ton for their community and their country. Many help their national federations, not that they owe them much, if anything.For the IIHF to single out players for not playing is just so far out of line. Why were these decisions not kept private? What right does the IIHF to question the integrity? If I was one of the players who he implies is faking an injury, or even mentioned at all, I'd never play in an IIHF event until this guy was fired or issued an apology. If this article is supposed to encourage players to play, it has done the opposite and made the tournament even more irrelevant.No way this is real! The quote says he thought Simon Gagne was from Philly. And since he's not he won't cheer for him anymore, but thank goodness for good Philly boys like Danny Briere. It's a joke...right?
Its from the sportspickle..Its a joke website.
I really disagree. These guys are tired, they do a lot, and the tourney doesn't matter. .
what is it exactly that they do? is it not their job to do the things they already do, ie playoffs/appearances?
I'm also pretty sure the tourney didn't matter before players stopped participating. It is kind of a catch-22, since if the majority played, the tourney would automatically matter.
if the tournament "doesnt matter" why does your Hockey Federation whose money is spent on grassroots programs, wasting their time overseas?
All these spoiled rich and famous athletes owe something to everyone, and they're too spoiled to realize it. Many/most of the athletes do a ton for their community and their country. Many help their national federations, not that they owe them much, if anything.
they dont owe their federation? really? Isnt it things like Hockey Canada, or whatever they call it in other countries, the reason why these guys were able to get to this level? Im pretty sure all of the same guys who are saying no today all begged the same federation to let them play on the junior team, when they needed the nations program more than Team Canada needed them.
If this article is supposed to encourage players to play, it has done the opposite and made the tournament even more irrelevant.
I dont know what the intention of the writer was, his education or his English grammar skills. I do know though that he sees hockey with a better prespective than those too close to the game. I find it hard to believe you dont think that there are a lot of players, not just from Canada remember, who should be there and are not simply due to the fact they feel like they dont owe anything to anyone. Whether its appreciated by the public or not, this is the World Championships of your sport, of your career, and your nation that helped you (yes, helped you) is asking for you to come and play a game for 3 weeks. F*ck, its not that big a chore, is it???

Oh, and Danny, dont piss me off. I just signed my name to that damn thread, and after years of being nice to everyone, I dont want to be the first to go Serge/Dale/Chris/whoever on someone's ass. :club:

Why should someone who is a UFA ever want to go play in that tournament and risk injury and the chance to earn billions?
Same reason they go to play in the Olympics..You owe it to your country to represent them..National pride...
To anyone that cares..It looks like I will be going to Vegas for an impromptu trip to hang out with the brother in law..Its looking like second or 3rd week of June..It cant be the weekend of the 5th or the weekend of the 27th..Where are u staying Arp?Your uncles place??********MGM
yes, Uncle Koko is putting me up again. Im gonna have to try that one again this trip, see where it lands me. In the old days it was much easier, now every Armo stays there and uses the same line.really wanted to stay at Wynn/Encore, didnt work out.I'm there til the 13th. (2nd wknd in June)
what is it exactly that they do? is it not their job to do the things they already do, ie playoffs/appearances?if the tournament "doesnt matter" why does your Hockey Federation whose money is spent on grassroots programs, wasting their time overseas?they dont owe their federation? really? Isnt it things like Hockey Canada, or whatever they call it in other countries, the reason why these guys were able to get to this level? Im pretty sure all of the same guys who are saying no today all begged the same federation to let them play on the junior team, when they needed the nations program more than Team Canada needed them. I dont know what the intention of the writer was, his education or his English grammar skills. I do know though that he sees hockey with a better prespective than those too close to the game. I find it hard to believe you dont think that there are a lot of players, not just from Canada remember, who should be there and are not simply due to the fact they feel like they dont owe anything to anyone. Whether its appreciated by the public or not, this is the World Championships of your sport, of your career, and your nation that helped you (yes, helped you) is asking for you to come and play a game for 3 weeks. F*ck, its not that big a chore, is it???
"Things they do" I meant working for charities, team events, extra media stuff, etc. Not just the hockey they're paid to play.I know it is called the World Championships, but that's an empty phrase to me. In fairness, it means nothing because it does not feature the best players (chicken? egg?) Still, it isn't the Olympics. It means slightly more to me than the Spengler Cup. With all due respect to Devan Dubnyk and Spenger stars like Jamie Heward and Hnat Domnichelli, the Spengler Cup don't mean squat.I also don't agree with your point about the young players begging hockey canada because it was more of a benefit to the player than the federation. The statement is accurate, but Hockey Canada didn't allow these players to play out of the goodness of their hearts, or to help the players, they picked the best players for the job. Nothing magnanimous. The players should not 'owe' Hockey Canada because they happened to be one of the best 25 available.Yes, Hockey Canada (and the versions in other countries) have helped the players by developing the grassroots leagues and structure. And yes, the players 'should' help out Hockey Canada, in order to help other young players. But that doesn't mean a player has to be seriously injured to decline this kind of invite.I think it says a lot when a lot of the European players are turning down invites. If the tournament isn't even a source of pride for some of the European players, who play in national leagues, then that is a structural problem. A whiny, accusatory letter is not going to change that.If it was me, I'd play. I'd represent my country. But I don't hold it against those who don't. I don't think they owe any of us very much. Some of them have received a lot and give nothing back. I believe that those hockey players are the exception, just like any other human being that takes without giving back is the exception.
Oh, and Danny, dont piss me off. I just signed my name to that damn thread, and after years of being nice to everyone, I dont want to be the first to go Serge/Dale/Chris/whoever on someone's ass. :club:
If you managed to control yourself while I was taking 24 hours between BACK-TO-BACK picks in the FCHL, I have faith you can do so here :ts
Why should someone who is a UFA ever want to go play in that tournament and risk injury and the chance to earn billions?
wasnt Taylor Hall risking millions/injury to play in the juniors?oh, thats right. It was "an honour to play for his country". That, and he needed the tourney to help his draft stock.looking forward to seeing how quickly he gets too tired to play in the next overseas tourney.
Except the Olympics means something, and the WC does not.
That too. Olympics mean something because it is an international competition. Hockey is an event. The world championships is a hockey event, where the teams are the nations.I see those as very different.
yes, Uncle Koko is putting me up again. Im gonna have to try that one again this trip, see where it lands me. In the old days it was much easier, now every Armo stays there and uses the same line.really wanted to stay at Wynn/Encore, didnt work out.I'm there til the 13th. (2nd wknd in June)
My favourite place to stay is probably very unconventional..Its the Orleans, who I believe has the best poker room that suits me and my taste..The 8-16 Omaha Hi Lo game is very juicy...I havent found another place that spreads that game at that limit consistently...

The world juniors mean something. The WC does not. You don't see NHL players asking for a leave of absence to play in the Spengler Cup, and you certainly don't see people debating whether to play for their teams in the playoffs or leave them to head to the WC.The tournament is a joke, it's a lower tier of hockey.

If it was me, I'd play. I'd represent my country. But I don't hold it against those who don't. I don't think they owe any of us very much. Some of them have received a lot and give nothing back. I believe that those hockey players are the exception, just like any other human being that takes without giving back is the exception.
Its the exceptions Im referring to. I dont mean to paint all players with the same brush.I understand the financial/legitimate arguments about UFA's, I understand some players are truly hurt. But those guys who are neither hurt, or in a contract impasse, and who use words like "tired", show a high degree of disrespect IMO.I realize soon you prob wont even know who turned them down and why...so this argument will be moot. But for now, knowing what I know, it still bothers me.