• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

when is the leauge going to get rid of the football shoulder pads and rediculous elbow pads...then hits like cookes wouldnt be so career ending .
Yeah, I agree with this. They need soft outer shells.Look, I'm the first to say that Cooke's hit needs to be removed from the league, but it was arguably legal when he did it.
Yes it is, look at the rule book.You can argue intent to injure, sure, but it's not clear-cut.It's not a clear elbow.
Are you allowed to throw a shoulder outside of your path to a guy's face? Maybe that's not in the rule book, but neither is zapping him with an alien ray gun...it still falls within other rules designed to take that into account.
Are you allowed to throw a shoulder outside of your path to a guy's face? Maybe that's not in the rule book, but neither is zapping him with an alien ray gun...it still falls within other rules designed to take that into account.
You are allowed to do so. Mike Richards was. You're allowed to hit anyone anywhere you want with your shoulder.Look, I agree it needs to be taken out of the game, but until it is, it's not illegal.
Yeah, I agree with this. They need soft outer shells.Look, I'm the first to say that Cooke's hit needs to be removed from the league, but it was arguably legal when he did it.
its not legal . The rulebook is very clear. Attempt to injure is not legal
You are allowed to do so. Mike Richards was. You're allowed to hit anyone anywhere you want with your shoulder.Look, I agree it needs to be taken out of the game, but until it is, it's not illegal.
its not legal . The rulebook is very clear. Attempt to injure is not legal
Sadly, I guess this is also the best I can come up with. Then again, I guess then Downie didn't break a rule, and Carcillo didn't break one either with his ray gun attack next week.
That's no more provable as attempt to injure than Ovechkin's hit was.
I realize you're playing devil's advocate here, but that is wrong. Intent to injure is never provable...unless the guy admits it. Cookie was clearly trying to smash Savard in the face. Ovechkin is a man-beast, trying to shove a guy.
Sadly, I guess this is also the best I can come up with. Then again, I guess then Downie didn't break a rule, and Carcillo didn't break one either with his ray gun attack next week.
I think the Downie play is a lot more provable as "intent to injure" than anything else. It nowhere near close to a hockey play, while Cooke could have just missed a body check or something. Downie couldn't have been construed as missing anything. The whole play by Downie could easily be viewed as a slew foot, which IS against the rules, explicitly.
I realize you're playing devil's advocate here, but that is wrong. Intent to injure is never provable...unless the guy admits it. Cookie was clearly trying to smash Savard in the face. Ovechkin is a man-beast, trying to shove a guy.
But why would he shove a guy in such a clearly dangerous position? What does he think is going to happen? He may look like a caveman, but he's probably a smart guy, he doesn't think Campbell is going to run into a plush wall or anything...I will side with you on Cooke, he probably was trying to hit his head. But I can't prove it, obviously. I can't prove otherwise either. That doesn't make Ovechkin's hit any different. He's still making a play which is explicitly illegal (hitting from behind, boarding, etc).
The equipment rule on elbow pads was changed three years ago. You are no longer allowed to wear an elbow pad with a plastic cap in the NHL. All elbow pads must be material and padded. The shoulder pads can still have hard plastic caps..
The equipment rule on elbow pads was changed three years ago. You are no longer allowed to wear an elbow pad with a plastic cap in the NHL. All elbow pads must be material and padded. The shoulder pads can still have hard plastic caps..
Well, they should change the shoulder pads also then. Cooke certainly didn't use his elbow where a hard pad would have been, yet Savard is still dead.
Well, they should change the shoulder pads also then. Cooke certainly didn't use his elbow where a hard pad would have been, yet Savard is still dead.
agreed.
But Matt Cooke didn't break any rules, why does he get 20 games and Mike Richards walks?(devil's advocate)
Well, if I were the one handing out suspensions, Richards would have gotten a suspension as well so there wouldn't be a discrepency :club:
Well, if I were the one handing out suspensions, Richards would have gotten a suspension as well so there wouldn't be a discrepency :club:
I agree. Both would have gotten suspensions if I ran the world as well. I'd have also amended the rulebook to make headshots like theirs illegal.
lol ray gun anolgies itt awsome :/im 100% sure i spelled anolgies wrong ...

Apparently Downie got fined an undisclosed amount on his WWE move on Crosby...Why is it undisclosed??

Apparently Downie got fined an undisclosed amount on his WWE move on Crosby...Why is it undisclosed??
So the NHL can avoid more criticism.

A grand for a terrible attempt at a slewfoot and the following dive into the leg is a joke. If I was out there with him, Downie would have left with a few less teeth, in a legal, non-head shot fashion of course.

A grand for a terrible attempt at a slewfoot and the following dive into the leg is a joke. If I was out there with him, Downie would have left with a few less teeth, in a legal, non-head shot fashion of course.
its still legal for the rest of the year...Shot to the heads are open game.