Hellmuth And Chinese Poker

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he punishes himself by giving money to charity? How noble of you sir. It's amusing some people still think he's an act made entirely for TV. He also said he had never lost more than 110K of his own money in a day. Didn't he dump twice that on HSP? It was at least 150 I thought.

So he punishes himself by giving money to charity? How noble of you sir. It's amusing some people still think he's an act made entirely for TV. He also said he had never lost more than 110K of his own money in a day. Didn't he dump twice that on HSP? It was at least 150 I thought.
Maybe had a backer.

So how come all these sick beats people take in chinese poker, golf, prop bets etc. go to Ivey? Ivey seems to be in the middle of every crazy big gambling going down anywhere in the world.

So how come all these sick beats people take in chinese poker, golf, prop bets etc. go to Ivey? Ivey seems to be in the middle of every crazy big gambling going down anywhere in the world.
hahaha thats sweet phil iveys the man
Why would he need a backer?Didn't you know he's a billionaire?!
That lowers my opinion of the guy as a gambler even more. You're a millionaire at least 10X over(probably closer to 25), you get a chance to play against people you consider your peers, and say you're as good as, if not better than, and you're only willing to bet 20 or 50K that you are. Maybe he wouldn't have played like such dogshit if he actually had something to lose. Most likely he would have played even worse, or Stupak-like. What a jopke.

The thing that amazes me is that he can possibly play CHINESE that badly. I mean, basically if you're decent at setting hands there is no advantage playing HU. Even if there is an edge, is negligible. Nobody can run that bad for that many hands, so he has to be HORRIBLE at the game.

no matter what he feels, he still gave 50k away to charity

maybe he is relying on the sales of his children's books...lolI nearly died from laughter when I heard that during his WSOP main event win, when they were talking about what the players did outside poker.

The thing that amazes me is that he can possibly play CHINESE that badly. I mean, basically if you're decent at setting hands there is no advantage playing HU. Even if there is an edge, is negligible. Nobody can run that bad for that many hands, so he has to be HORRIBLE at the game.
Barry Greenstein lost over a million (over the course of months) playing Chinese with Ted Forrest a few years back, and it almost broke him.
I think he made the thing up I bet he didnt lose anything
Nah, even I know he donked it. ZOMG, can you imagine what it must have been like to be his poor wife?? (Can you say "ringside seat at the train wreck"?) Here's my theory: if Mrs. Hellmuth was taking notes, she could eventually turn her forced-charitable-giving experience into a five-year, five-volume psychiatric magnum opus which pulls down 100K each time she wins the ultra-prestigious Templeton Positive Psychology Prize*:http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug00/templeton.html*"These prizes are [designed] to encourage scientific investigation of the benefits produced by optimism, thanksgiving and the power of positive thinking," says Templeton, a philanthropist who made his fortune through international investing."Now if she could only win five Templeton Prizes out of the experience, what must surely have been an excruciating ordeal would virtually pay for itself. Brilliant!! ROTFLOL!
no matter what he feels, he still gave 50k away to charity
True. Way to look at the big picture. I guess it's just like poker, it's not the decisions that matter, it's the end result.
True. Way to look at the big picture. I guess it's just like poker, it's not the decisions that matter, it's the end result.
Bah. No matter what he did, how he felt about it or why, the bottom line is A) he had more than half a mil to blow and B ) he brought it up himself on a national broadcast and was incredibly cool about the whole thing and C) we all ought to be ashamed of ourselves for being such mean-spirited, small-time NITS about it. It's only money...I swear to God I've got a "Hetty Green" streak a mile wide, and in poker that's definitely not cool. The more I think about Hellmuth making lavish donations to charity after donking off a half a million dollars, the more I like it. You know, the great Yakuza gambler, oyabun, and finance-criminal mastermind Manabu Miyazaki has a word for this kind of character trait: they call it "TOPPAMONO." (Google for some amazing links.) It means "man of breakthrough," but the connotations are untranslatable: if you have a devil-may-care attitude toward life, push ahead and are full-bore relentless no matter what happens, and do it all with style and panache, you're "toppamono". It sort of sums up the old Yakuza values of being chivalrous, cheeky, and psychopathic all rolled into one. So yeah, donating generously to charity after being a complete jackass on the felt is definitely "toppamono". I can totally see Miyazaki doing something like that. And unlike Miyazaki, Hellmuth can be grateful he gets to keep all his fingers. :club: