Club De Hockey Canadien

Pretty close I think. Player really won by taking a short term deal.

PK will be joining Stamkos soon enough in Toronto

Will they have the cap room for PK with Stamkos and Tavares already there? /s

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

As a Habs non fan I'm hoping PK gets 8 years $70 million.

you're not rooting for the Habs to be capped out but rather for the Toronto born player to get paid. Right ?

you're not rooting for the Habs to be capped out but rather for the Toronto born player to get paid. Right ?

Lol ya that's it

According to Puck Daddy PK and the Habs are $3 million apart...Not sure under what circumstance PK will accept a long term deal for less than $7.5 to $8 million average..

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/p-k--subban--canadiens-over--3-million-apart-in-arbitration-offers-140132953.html

Habs want one year deal in arbitration, which would still not bring him to full UFA status which is 2 years away..

PK call up Shanahan and do a wink wink agreement...Sign a 2 year bridge with the HABS and then we will open up the vault and pay you MAX salary when you hit UFA...

You will own this city PK, you are a marketers dream in Toronto...The endorsements, appearances are at your feet, i would assume much more than the french market..

Do it PK, this is your home...This is where you belong...Here could be our top 4

PK Subban

Morgan Reilly

Jake Gardiner

Dion Phaneuf.

Win win win..Dion would be perfect in that role..We win multiple Stanley Cups..you are god for life in the city that you love..

Please at least think about it bud...Dont go to bed with this team, you belong here...Toronto..The City of Beauty..

• Like 1

Keep it in the fantasy thread.

You are correct it is fantasy, but PK did allude to it that it has crossed his mind..Of course he backed it up by saying good things about Montreal...

There are players from here that cant handle the media and the city...Thats why they choose to play in New York, Tampa, Columbus etc...I am looking at you Tavares, Stammer and Nash...

Then there is PK..He is perfect for the city..He loves the media attention..He thrives on it...He will be bigger than Clark and Gilmour put together.

There are players from here that cant handle the media and the city...Thats why they choose to play in New York, Tampa, Columbus etc...I am looking at you Tavares, Stammer and Nash...

Actually none of those guys chose to play there, they were either drafted or traded there. So stop looking at them! :)

Actually none of those guys chose to play there, they were either drafted or traded there. So stop looking at them! :)

not true...If they wanted to play in Toronto, they didnt have to sign long term contracts...In the case of Nash it was pretty easy if he wanted to..Tavares and Stamkos could of signed shorter...

BTW..Just saw Tavares's contract..He is getting paid $500K more than Grabovski...If you factor in the Toronto money Grabovski is getting paid WAY more...

Poor Tavares, not only is he stuck with a perennial loser( ya ya they have young team, they are getting better, I heard this for 10 years) he is WAY underpaid...

I hate to keep throwing "facts" out at you but....

Tavares is 23yrs old. He cant leave til he's 26/27 anyway.

When his current contract ends, he will be 27.

Stamkos is 24yrs old. He also cannot leave, NHL rules and all.

When his current contract ends, he will be 26.

if I was PK's agent, this is what I would be telling Montreal:

You have two options:

1. Kane/Toews contract. 8 x 10.5. I'd be prepared with lots of research that shows PK is as valuable or more valuable to the Habs than Kane or Toews is to the blackhawks. This would not be difficult to do.

2. 2 years, 6 million AAV (PK should prefer this option, as then he will sign an 8x10 in 2 years and be paid until he is 35)

no negotiation. If you reject both options, we go to arbitration, and PK is outta here as soon as the rules allow it. PK was grossly underpaid on his last contract, and this is the second time you are playing hard ball with your franchise player. Pay up or he's gone.

You have two options:

1. Kane/Toews contract. 8 x 10.5. I'd be prepared with lots of research that shows PK is as valuable or more valuable to the Habs than Kane or Toews is to the blackhawks. This would not be difficult to do.

2. 2 years, 6 million AAV (PK should prefer this option, as then he will sign an 8x10 in 2 years and be paid until he is 35)

no negotiation. If you reject both options, we go to arbitration, and PK is outta here as soon as the rules allow it. PK was grossly underpaid on his last contract, and this is the second time you are playing hard ball with your franchise player. Pay up or he's gone.

I dont know, Im not sure his stock will be any higher than it is right now.

It might be, but one bad knee injury or a couple of concussions, and it could cost him a lot of money.

Its not an easy call as team or player, but if I was him, I would look for about 8mill per for 8 years as fair.

It's a bit of a gamble, but PK is one of the few players that it would be a "safe" gamble for. He's not going to fall off in the next 2 years. I'd take out an insurance policy on loss of earnings due to injury, but that's the only real concern.

re: Toews/Kane contracts. They are all the same age. The habs would be hard pressed to make an argument that shows that either of those players individually is more important to the Hawks than Subban is to the Habs.

re: Toews/Kane contracts. They are all the same age. The habs would be hard pressed to make an argument that shows that either of those players individually is more important to the Hawks than Subban is to the Habs.

I think of myself as a huge Subban fan, and I think I may actually be biased in his favour, but I really have to disagree with you that Subban deserves what Toews got. Those 2 Cups, with the help of teammates or not, and being a captain on those teams, I have to take Toews way ahead of Subban personally.

I hate to keep throwing "facts" out at you but....

Tavares is 23yrs old. He cant leave til he's 26/27 anyway.

When his current contract ends, he will be 27.

Stamkos is 24yrs old. He also cannot leave, NHL rules and all.

When his current contract ends, he will be 26.

Thanks..True dat my friend..

But NASH could of

You have two options:

I think those are good options...Here is the kicker, the Habs organization to date hasnt signed up anyone longer than 5 years..They are very reluctant too...They may bend and offer PK 5 year term for more money....But i dont think PK will agree to a 5 year deal..I think he would be stupid if he did....

The Habs made the wrong decision with the last contract, PK lived up to his end and performed way above what he was paid..Its time Montreal open up the vault...

I think of myself as a huge Subban fan, and I think I may actually be biased in his favour, but I really have to disagree with you that Subban deserves what Toews got. Those 2 Cups, with the help of teammates or not, and being a captain on those teams, I have to take Toews way ahead of Subban personally.

You are probably right re: Toews. Though if you just use regular season numbers -and there's good reason to do so given the difference between the Habs and the Hawks during their careers to date-, it would be pretty easy to make a strong case that Subban is more valuable to the Habs than Toews is to the Hawks.

Also, re: 5 year contract. There is no scenario where I would ever even consider signing a 5 year contract if I was in Subban's shoes. Unfortunately for the Habs, the franchise player has all the bargaining power here.

You are probably right re: Toews. Though if you just use regular season numbers -and there's good reason to do so given the difference between the Habs and the Hawks during their careers to date-, it would be pretty easy to make a strong case that Subban is more valuable to the Habs than Toews is to the Hawks.

Also, re: 5 year contract. There is no scenario where I would ever even consider signing a 5 year contract if I was in Subban's shoes. Unfortunately for the Habs, the franchise player has all the bargaining power here.

They gambled(Habs) and lost...The Leafs did similar with Kadri, and it looks like the Leafs are ahead so far, as Kadri hasnt exploded YET like PK has..If Kadri somehow manages to go berzerko and score 30 goals and 85 pts, then the Leafs might be in Habs spot...

It's laughable to hear claims that the Habs made a mistake with Subban's last contract.

The Habs wanted Subban to step up his game before they paid him. He did, and they will pay him.

Seems like good business to me.

It's laughable to hear claims that the Habs made a mistake with Subban's last contract.

The Habs wanted Subban to step up his game before they paid him. He did, and they will pay him.

Seems like good business to me.

Well you can put it that way...But you could of also had PK locked up for much less money..

Well you can put it that way...But you could of also had PK locked up for much less money..

That's an assumption, but even if it were true why take the gamble? The Habs have the cap room. I don't see the benefit of gambling. I don't think teams mind paying big money to players who earn it. Paying big money to players with the hope they will earn it is where teams get into trouble.

That's an assumption, but even if it were true why take the gamble? The Habs have the cap room. I don't see the benefit of gambling. I don't think teams mind paying big money to players who earn it. Paying big money to players with the hope they will earn it is where teams get into trouble.

I dont necessarily disagree..Your point is valid...However the comparison to Jake Gardiner might be valid too..

Jake Gardiner currently doesnt have the numbers, pedigree that PK has established in the league...However the Leafs choose the longer term route in hoping he will be like PK, 2 or 3 years and they have a bargain on their hand..

I think though you maybe right, the Leafs are gambling that Gardiner will develop into a Norris trophy type dman...The gamble is calculated and I think this is why you pay your scouts and talented hockey minds on the staff..