Club De Hockey Canadien

That might be the least telling stat.I think.Maybe I'm thinking about pitchers won-loss records in baseball and how those don't really tell the whole story.Seems like the same principle though.
It is probably a little less stupid than the same stat in baseball, but not a whole lot.I think there is too much being applied to just half a year's stats. Yes, Halak was better, but we've all seen goalies go on good runs. Price was not exactly terrible. I don't think Halak was enough better to forget about the reasons that Price was the starter in the first place.I still think Halak is the answer, but not by a ton.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

Serious question:As a Habs fan how do you feel about this trade?
I would have liked to see them sign both Halak and Price but maybe that wasn't possible. Perhaps Halak wanted more money and a longer contract than what the Habs were willing to commit. I really really REALLY love what the Habs got for Halak though.
I am liking this trade. As much as I appreciate what Halak accomplished during the past season, it's a pretty sensible move that should work out nicely for the undersized Habs.
This is true..At 6 feet, Eller is a giant compared to the other forwards. :club:

Someday, probably about 5 years from now, someone will look back on this trade and say _________ made a great trade because this and that happened. I hate looking at trades that way. Many times, you do what you have at the moment you have to do it. IMO: The Habs were in a tough spot, and decided to take the route of picking Price, and getting as much as possible for Halak. They obviously came to the realization long ago that both goalies could not be on their team next year (who knows what goes on in the room/their heads that we dont know about), and so decided one had to go. Figuring Price's value is too low as of this moment, and Halak's may never be higher, they bit the bullet, and dealt the flavour of the month. It doesnt take a great GM to trade a UFA at the deadline at get a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd rounder. It takes a great GM to make a really tough decision in the offseason to decide who will play the most important position on your team for the next 5-10years, and decide what to try and get for the player who might be even better than the guy your staking your reputation on. THIS is why a GM's job is tough, in my opinion. I like Eller. I think he could be very good. Ill assume that the Habs chose this route because that was the best offer. If SJ was in these talks, I would have taken Couture instead, for example. Or I would have asked Philly for a guy like Van Riemsdyk. But thats all just personal preference. Who knows how Eller will turn out....Im guessing none of you can call him a guarantee, just like I cant bank on Halak being this good for the duration of whatever contract he signs. yeah, I know I said/ranted a lot there, but I really love the GM gigs, and dissect the crap out of that job. For some reason, last few years, the toughest decisions seem to revolve around the Habs position.

I really think Halak didnt want to play for Montreal anymore since he was always the 2nd favorite behind Price. While I think Halak has more value than Eller and Schultz it was definitely a smart move by Gauthier to move Halak before contract demands/unhappyness rumors got out. Never hurts to take a chance on a solid prospect like Eller.

Someday, probably about 5 years from now, someone will look back on this trade and say _________ made a great trade because this and that happened. I hate looking at trades that way. Many times, you do what you have at the moment you have to do it. IMO: The Habs were in a tough spot, and decided to take the route of picking Price, and getting as much as possible for Halak. They obviously came to the realization long ago that both goalies could not be on their team next year (who knows what goes on in the room/their heads that we dont know about), and so decided one had to go. Figuring Price's value is too low as of this moment, and Halak's may never be higher, they bit the bullet, and dealt the flavour of the month. It doesnt take a great GM to trade a UFA at the deadline at get a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd rounder. It takes a great GM to make a really tough decision in the offseason to decide who will play the most important position on your team for the next 5-10years, and decide what to try and get for the player who might be even better than the guy your staking your reputation on. THIS is why a GM's job is tough, in my opinion. I like Eller. I think he could be very good. Ill assume that the Habs chose this route because that was the best offer. If SJ was in these talks, I would have taken Couture instead, for example. Or I would have asked Philly for a guy like Van Riemsdyk. But thats all just personal preference. Who knows how Eller will turn out....Im guessing none of you can call him a guarantee, just like I cant bank on Halak being this good for the duration of whatever contract he signs. yeah, I know I said/ranted a lot there, but I really love the GM gigs, and dissect the crap out of that job. For some reason, last few years, the toughest decisions seem to revolve around the Habs position.
This is very well put... Interesting thought: of the three options that Montreal had in dealing with Halak, the GM took the one that would be by far the least popular with the fans. Which means it's prolly a little more likely to be the right one..
Someday, probably about 5 years from now, someone will look back on this trade and say _________ made a great trade because this and that happened. I hate looking at trades that way. Many times, you do what you have at the moment you have to do it.
it has always bothered me to see this in analysis. the player Eller will eventually become is completely irrelevant to the wisdom (or lack thereof) in the trade. we have the consensus opinions on all three players and we can probably find out what the market for Halak was. it is possible to know who 'won' this trade today.being a GM, or really just being involved in any aspect of running a real franchise, has to be the fucking nut low. being at the mercy of the crowd when concepts like the above are involved is an unenviable position. and if you're not in a major leadership role, then you're likely massively underpaid vs. what you could get elsewhere for your talents.
it has always bothered me to see this in analysis. the player Eller will eventually become is completely irrelevant to the wisdom (or lack thereof) in the trade. we have the consensus opinions on all three players and we can probably find out what the market for Halak was. it is possible to know who 'won' this trade today.being a GM, or really just being involved in any aspect of running a real franchise, has to be the fucking nut low. being at the mercy of the crowd when concepts like the above are involved is an unenviable position. and if you're not in a major leadership role, then you're likely massively underpaid vs. what you could get elsewhere for your talents.
Not always..... sometimes trading players is like trading stocks.... they have a value that's today's value, but what you're really betting on is the value in the future.

Yeah but the point is that you can't look back and reevaluateba trade after a prospect's career has run it's course. It's like poker, you make the best decision given all the info currently available. Folding your 22 on AKQ wasn't a bad fold because the board ran out 2, 2.

Not always..... sometimes trading players is like trading stocks.... they have a value that's today's value, but what you're really betting on is the value in the future.
sure, gauthier might have thought that some of the pieces in the trade were mispriced, but looking at the performance of these guys in the next few years is no basis to test whether he was right or wrong. that's results-oriented thinking, and I believe it should be shunned in trade discussions the same way it is in poker. we cannot "run" the trades an infinite number of times to figure the average value these guys contribute to their new teams, so it would seem like the best we can do is compare this deal with similar ones in recent history, or maybe try to get some insider information from a GM or two.basically, I think the sports media has a tendency to drastically understate the randomness in trading and drafting. for good reason, though... how are you going to explain the above to Joe Sixpack?
Yeah but the point is that you can't look back and reevaluateba trade after a prospect's career has run it's course. It's like poker, you make the best decision given all the info currently available. Folding your 22 on AKQ wasn't a bad fold because the board ran out 2, 2.
jesus christ I wish I had refreshed.
If only they had drafted Kopitar instead of going off of the script at taking Price.
I hope to revisit this post in about 2 years.

Some comments on Sergei Kostitsyn from habsinsideout.com...Over/under on visits to the Grand Ole Opry before he's barred: 2.The deal ends popular speculation that the Canadiens would happily trade Sergei Kostitsyn for a dog – and shoot the dog.

Some comments on Sergei Kostitsyn from habsinsideout.com...Over/under on visits to the Grand Ole Opry before he's barred: 2.The deal ends popular speculation that the Canadiens would happily trade Sergei Kostitsyn for a dog – and shoot the dog.
If I was Dan Ellis...I'd be hiring extra security right now.Solid deal for the Canadiens to get anything, given how publicly the relationship had soured.

I like how you guys got Dustin Boyd thrown in. That's solid. Ellis/Price will be a pretty solid tandem too. Very good trade for the Habs, don't really get it from Nashville's side, but I just don't like the Kostitsyn's. Is Ellis an RFA or something?

I like how you guys got Dustin Boyd thrown in. That's solid. Ellis/Price will be a pretty solid tandem too. Very good trade for the Habs, don't really get it from Nashville's side, but I just don't like the Kostitsyn's. Is Ellis an RFA or something?
UFa

At first glance the trade looks silly..However none of the players are signed as they are either RFA or UFA..so lot depends on who signs and for how much...Getting rid of Sergei though is solid