Club De Hockey Canadien

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

I don't think anybody ever suggested he was traded because of racism.

I think it's very subconsciously clouding some people's judgment of him. Like Arp said, I think it's all overtones. There's no overt racism.

Maybe. Maybe not. We'll never know.

You posted something to the effect that it maybe racism. I am too lazy to check but sure you did.

My feelings and I tell my kids this is don't ever think racism is involved in anything. It is a cop out plain and simple.

Does racism happen. Of course it does. I don't doubt it one bit. However once you bring the race card in I shut my ears. I don't want to hear it or read it. I move on.

As you know I am a visible minority but I never ever see myself as one. I never use the race card for anything.

You posted something to the effect that it maybe racism. I am too lazy to check but sure you did.

My feelings and I tell my kids this is don't ever think racism is involved in anything. It is a cop out plain and simple.

Does racism happen. Of course it does. I don't doubt it one bit. However once you bring the race card in I shut my ears. I don't want to hear it or read it. I move on.

As you know I am a visible minority but I never ever see myself as one. I never use the race card for anything.

No, I know what I posted. I was suggesting that it was possible, not that it definitely occurred.

And a cop out from what exactly?

No, I know what I posted. I was suggesting that it was possible, not that it definitely occurred.

And a cop out from what exactly?

You said you have a hard time believing that there was not racism involved.

A cop out is when you don't look at the real reasons why something happens. You immediately blame racism

I have never ever say anything that involves me occurred from racism. I move on and don't poison pill my life with this. I also tell my kids this. My kids hear racist comments to them at school but I tell them to turn a blind ear to it. Not worth their time to deal with idiots

I would bet you and your kids are subject to more racism than most and certainly more than I ever was, but I can't understand your views on this. Especially when we have leaders of major countries effectively running on the platform that "true" Americans/Britons deserve better than "others". And if you don't believe "true" in this case is the same as being white, just look at how the Orlando killer was discussed, even though he has as much right to citizenship as Donald Trump (son of immigrants), and ask some non-white American/British citizens if it seems like others consider them "true".

Like Dubey said, racism isn't as simple as "I don't like black people".

You are missing my point. Saying the trade was made because of racism is just dumb.

Racism of course exists. I hear. It. Just read the comments above

Also how to stop racism. Stop using the race card

Nothing like ignoring a problem to ensure it'll go away.

I do agree the term is overused and misused, but mostly because left-leaning people don't use it to just refer to skin colour, but more generally to refer to things like culture, economics, and other things. I think we need a new word for how it's actually relevant these days, because only extremists are really judging based on colour, but you can open any section of the newspaper and find examples where someone's background or culture or whatever is being used to draw unfair assumptions (in my opinion!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I am now a huge PK Subban fan.

Subban does some great things that no one hears about with nothing in it for him other then doing good, and is a genuinely good person. He is now one of my favourite NHL'ers, and while he always was one of my faves to watch play, I now respect the person a great great deal.

One story I can share some of the details of is that he helped the charity I volunteer with by arranging an incredible prize for a Habs fan. An auction winner at our event was granted travel+tickets to a Habs game, and then PK hosted them after the game, took them down to the dressing room, and was very very kind+gracious from what I heard.

The second story I heard from someone close to him, and I even got to talk to PK briefly, I want to keep private out of respect to the people involved, but suffice to say, PK impressed me to no end.

I felt the need to post this stuff here because Im sick of the bullsh*t "rumours" about this guy being a selfish, spoiled kid. I have no idea what goes on in the Habs dressing room, but this guy does a lot of good no one hears about, and he does it without asking whats in it for me. I dont know too many 20-somethings who are anything like that.

I continue to be amazed by how many hockey players are unaffected by their money+fame, and remain good people who genuinely want to help others.

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....

At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked about the night he got a call from Alex’s coach, saying Alex was in the hospital. As the Habs were playing the Leafs that week, P.K. was in Toronto at the time, but at a team function when he heard Alex might not make it through the night, he excused himself, and FaceTime video chatted with Alex. Alex was unable to converse, and P.K. was taken aback at the physical deterioration the boy had gone through since their last meeting, but he did what he could. He told of what happened next:

“I went back to finish dinner, but Alex passed away before I finished my steak.”

P.K. said, “People ask me what’s the significance of the things I do. Is it for attention? The accolades? People don’t understand the experiences people have. Before you think why people are doing what they do, take the time to understand their experiences. That’s why I do what I do.”

http://www.allaboutt...bans-big-heart/

I happened to be with the hockey coach in question that night, who had coached PK during his youth as well, when PK called for updates, and trying to see Alex in person one more time. I wont get into all the details, but suffice it to say, there was no bullshit in his caring and his attitude towards it. The friend of mine who was the hockey coach was visibly shaken that night, and I dont doubt that so was PK. Both had spent a lot of time with this child and they were both saddened by this story. Frankly, I went home pretty shook up myself, as my son was pretty much the same age at the time.

I am bringing this up today because I just saw a clip from Sportsnet, where the interviewer mentioned how some in the media had wondered if the donation in the fall was PK's way of staying on the team, and getting the C on his jersey, if there was some alterior motive to PK's pledge. I couldnt believe that was even a question, and then I recalled how some on here had questioned his commitment. Anyway, Pk brings up young Alex in the interview, and its clear why he made the pledge. (at least to me)

I agree with him 100%, our life experiences shape what we do, who we help, how we become better people. I know most of us prefer to be cynical about our pro atheletes, and Im sure there is at least one of you reading this who will always believe the worst about PK, but he's still #1 in my book. Favourite NHL player. period.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing, Arp.

I can tell you that one of the main reasons PK was traded was because the organization thought he was more interested in promoting the "PK" brand than the "CH" brand. Antiquated thinking from insecure shriveldicks, but that's a different discussion...

People will make up their mind about someone and then look for things or twist things to support their view.

I hunk it's not only possible, but very likely that BOTH are true. You cannot fake genuine concern for another person. I buy that from PK 100%. I also believe he chose children's hospital as his charity because he really wants to help kids. The footage of his Christmas party w the kids is genuine, and real joy.

And it's also possible that he's very aware of the PK brand, and makes conscious efforts to advance that brand and increase its value. The two are not mutually exclusive. CEOs of large companies can be incredible philanthropists. That doesn't stop them from growing their business. PK Subban is a corporation, and he's very aware of how to increase the value of that corporation. It's what you do privately and behind closed doors that defines you as a person. I think that early in his career he cared far more about his public persona. But now that he's established that, it seems pretty obvious he has found a way to find some personal satisfaction in using that fame to bring some joy.

I agree.

I tend to not care why someone does good things...as long as good things are done.

My issue is with the Canadiens who are either too stupid or unwilling to accept that the "PK" brand and the "CH" brand can't benefit from each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like i might be a minority in believing it wasn't such a bad trade at all. Weber might be older than Subban, but he's in no way outclassed. Correct me if i'm wrong, but his contract seems significantly more appealing than Subban's. Doesn't his cap hit drop in 2017?

Seems like i might be a minority in believing it wasn't such a bad trade at all. Weber might be older than Subban, but he's in no way outclassed. Correct me if i'm wrong, but his contract seems significantly more appealing than Subban's. Doesn't his cap hit drop in 2017?

Cap hits don't drop. They stay the same year to year. Salary might.

Webers contract is an abomination. He's paid till he's 41 and he's already falling off. You can argue that it's an upgrade for the next couple years. I would disagree strongly, but you could at least make that argument with a straight face. Overall value of assets though isn't even close. Weber is a negative value contract.

Webers contract is an abomination. He's paid till he's 41 and he's already falling off. You can argue that it's an upgrade for the next couple years. I would disagree strongly, but you could at least make that argument with a straight face. Overall value of assets though isn't even close. Weber is a negative value contract.

Yeah exactly. The only thing I like about the deal that it has to mean that Molson and Bergevin are making a legit push for the Cup. Let's do this!

• 2 months later...

I really ****ing dislike Michel Therrien.

Yeah, I think sticking the knife into PK by praising Weber's positional play was probably a response to PK's 'This wasn't a hockey trade, this was a personality trade' comment. But still, the head coach of a team should always take the high road. I thought preseason with weber to protect Price, and Galchenyuk showing all the signs of being the real deal, that the habs could be better than people expect. But now I wonder how divided they are, and on top of it all, I want Therrien to lose.

Yeah, I think sticking the knife into PK by praising Weber's positional play was probably a response to PK's 'This wasn't a hockey trade, this was a personality trade' comment. But still, the head coach of a team should always take the high road. I thought preseason with weber to protect Price, and Galchenyuk showing all the signs of being the real deal, that the habs could be better than people expect. But now I wonder how divided they are, and on top of it all, I want Therrien to lose.

Agreed.

I think Galchenyuk and Radulov will be very good together.

Agreed.

I think Galchenyuk and Radulov will be very good together.

Are they actually playing together?

I havent seen much, but what I did see, it was Pac-Galch-Gall, then Rad-Plek-Shaw(i think). They had Radulov with plekanec, which surprised me until I realized I dont think Plek-Pac has ever worked well there.

Are they actually playing together?

I havent seen much, but what I did see, it was Pac-Galch-Gall, then Rad-Plek-Shaw(i think). They had Radulov with plekanec, which surprised me until I realized I dont think Plek-Pac has ever worked well there.

Who really knows anything when Therrien is involved?

LOL.

curious, why yesterdays extra hate? Did he do something?

Not sure if this is what set dale off, but post game yesterday Therrien made a comment something along the lines of Weber always being in the positioning he's supposed to be in. A very thinly veiled shot at Subban.

LOL.

curious, why yesterdays extra hate? Did he do something?

I've never been a fan of Therrien.

And yes, as Chris says, his thinly veiled shot set me off.