Club De Hockey Canadien

So the hope is that in 3 years Gardiner is a bargain and is essentially signed to a 2-yr bridge contract at $4 million per?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

So the hope is that in 3 years Gardiner is a bargain and is essentially signed to a 2-yr bridge contract at $4 million per?

No..The goal is to have him under control for less salary for longer term.

It's laughable to hear claims that the Habs made a mistake with Subban's last contract.

The Habs wanted Subban to step up his game before they paid him. He did, and they will pay him.

Seems like good business to me.

I agree with Dale on this.

I would much rather be the team that says "play, and I will pay" instead of the ones that pay for potential.

Honestly, I'm not quite understanding all the love for the Gardiner contract. I'm not really saying its bad, but I also don't understand why its so smart to lock up a guy for 5years and 20million, if just a few months ago you thought he should be a healthy scratch. Either your coach was wrong (but yet he's still the coach?), or you thought he had some growing up to do, some unrealized potential.

Its nice to try and get a "bargain", but I always believe players who play for a contract will be better than those already on long term deals. Keep them hungry.

I agree with Dale on this.

I would much rather be the team that says "play, and I will pay" instead of the ones that pay for potential.

Honestly, I'm not quite understanding all the love for the Gardiner contract. I'm not really saying its bad, but I also don't understand why its so smart to lock up a guy for 5years and 20million, if just a few months ago you thought he should be a healthy scratch. Either your coach was wrong (but yet he's still the coach?), or you thought he had some growing up to do, some unrealized potential.

Its nice to try and get a "bargain", but I always believe players who play for a contract will be better than those already on long term deals. Keep them hungry.

If your motto with all your players is play and I will pay, you aren't going to be left with too many great players. They will all bolt as soon as they can.

I don't have a problem with the way the Habs handled the last contract. They got Subban at about 1/3 market value for 2 years and played it safe by making sure he was a star before they paid him like one. But they can't really play hard ball with him again now this time around. They got their value in the last 2 years, now they have to pay him market value or lose him. The fact that they supposedly remain $3 million apart tells me they probably aren't offering market value currently.

PK Subban is considered an offensive dman ?

PK 10 goals in 82 games 24:36 min per game.

Jake Gardiner 10 goals 80 games 21:04 min per game.

Sure PK had lots more assists. But just saying.

If your motto with all your players is play and I will pay, you aren't going to be left with too many great players. They will all bolt as soon as they can.

Can you tell me why that would happen? Any examples of that from the NHL?

I don't have a problem with the way the Habs handled the last contract. They got Subban at about 1/3 market value for 2 years and played it safe by making sure he was a star before they paid him like one. But they can't really play hard ball with him again now this time around. They got their value in the last 2 years, now they have to pay him market value or lose him. The fact that they supposedly remain $3 million apart tells me they probably aren't offering market value currently.

Bergevin I guess is arguing what is market value.

Can you tell me why that would happen? Any examples of that from the NHL?

I don't know you maybe right but if PK doesn't get $7 or $8 mill you think he is going to be happy this time ?? You don't think when it's UFA time he is gone?

I don't know you maybe right but if PK doesn't get $7 or $8 mill you think he is going to be happy this time ?? You don't think when it's UFA time he is gone?

You mean if it goes to arbitration and he gets awarded only 6million? And then next year arbitration again, and again he loses, and gets only 6million? I think after that, he may have to realize that the arbitrator is the one screwing him, not the Habs. :)

What makes him so unhappy that he has to leave? That the Habs dont offer 8million a year for 8-10 years? I suppose thats possible sure, but if your the Habs, its all part of managing your team. You have to decide if he is worth it and offer accordingly. Personally, I would give him the 8mill for 8-10. I wouldnt give him 10million++ though, thats just too much.

I dont know his character, I guess if long term is what he really wants badly, its up to him to decide if he wants to play for 2yrs, and then go on the open market. Then he can figure out his true worth I suppose, and for sure at that point he will get 10mill+ from someone.

You never know whats going to piss someone enough to want to leave. Maybe in 2yrs time he will demand a trade because the team around him stinks, because they have no cap space. :)

Well if it goes to arbitration then they have a huge issue. Not sure the numbers but arbitration hearings happen at a very low percentage of the time.

It's all negotiating I m expecting any minute a score update on my phone. Subban signs 8 year deal

It's all negotiating I m expecting any minute a score update on my phone. Subban signs 8 year deal

agree, me too. should be done any minute, and it seems like there is like 1 arbitration case a year. lol

there hasnt even been one so far this year

If you treat every player the same then you'll have bigger problems. The Habs are overpaying Lars Eller this season. They are gambling with him, but considering the amount and length of the contract it's not much of a gamble.

PK Subban is considered an offensive dman ?

PK 10 goals in 82 games 24:36 min per game.

Jake Gardiner 10 goals 80 games 21:04 min per game.

Sure PK had lots more assists. But just saying.

Tiresome.

Bergevin I guess is arguing what is market value.

That's if you believe what's being reported. The media made it sound like Carlyle couldn't be in the same country as Gardiner and Reimer and then the Leafs sign them both.

You should listen to Flavor Flav...Don't believe the hype.

I think you're both right in how to negotiate contracts in the NHL. I think it's kind of comparable to craps. Sometimes you just gotta throw a nickel on hard 9 and hope for the best.

If it goes to arbritration things that are NOT admissible:

A contract entered into when "the Player" was not a "group 2" restricted free agent

Any contract signed by an unrestricted free agent (so only group 2 restricted free agents can serve as comparable players)

A contract signed by a player that is not being offered as a comparable player

Qualifying offers

Prior negotiating history between the club and the player

"Testimonials, videotapes, newspaper columns, press game reports

or similar materials"

Any reference to walk-away rights

Any arbitration award that a club walked away from

"The financial condition of the club or the league"

References to the club's salary cap situation, or the players' share (of hockey related revenue)

Any arbitration award issued in 2005-06, or any reference to a salary arbitration opinion that took place prior to the beginning of the salary cap era

Pretty riveting stuff. The Habs and Subban are at arbritration.

While they can still come to an agreement before ruling, this doesn't bode well for Bergevin

Burrito yes. But did he sign the cheque. :)

In all seriousness I'm seeing a lot of Habs fans pissed at Bergevin.

I get both sides but at some point you have to overpay in these situations. Sure it's a business but if you believe PK is face of franchise them you pay.

At Arbitration, PK will get 7-7.5 million imo.

Shea Weber got 7.5 a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. 7 or 7.5 Would be a fair number on a 1 or 2 year deal, but it will take more than that to lock him up long term and buy up some of his UFA years.

Based on something Bob Mac said (about next year someone could offer PK a 1yr contract offer sheet, just to make him a UFA in 2016), I wonder if it would have been smart of the Leafs to just offer PK 10million a year for 2 years, and if Mtl matches (as of course they would), then you just wait for PK to hit UFA status and hope Mtl loses him, and hope you get him. Of course, the problem is, no cap space for the Leafs. Maybe the Canes should have done it. lol

Does the price(draft picks) you pay to sign an RFA decrease when its only 1/2 yr deals?

Based on something Bob Mac said (about next year someone could offer PK a 1yr contract offer sheet, just to make him a UFA in 2016), I wonder if it would have been smart of the Leafs to just offer PK 10million a year for 2 years, and if Mtl matches (as of course they would), then you just wait for PK to hit UFA status and hope Mtl loses him, and hope you get him. Of course, the problem is, no cap space for the Leafs. Maybe the Canes should have done it. lol

Does the price(draft picks) you pay to sign an RFA decrease when its only 1/2 yr deals?

I'm pretty sure the compensation is based on the cap hit and has nothing to do with length of offer.

If the Habs and Subban don't reach a deal before the arbitrator's decision then I think the decision will be around $7 - $7.5 million for 1 year. Assuming MB offered $5.25 an Subban asked for $9 per, I predict the decision leads to an 8 year - $8.25 million per contract. Then we get to hear from the twidiots about how MB is a genius by getting Subban under contract for 9 years instead of 8.