Club De Hockey Canadien

Todd Fedoruk@fridge2923m

@DarrenDreger if Gryba doesn't make that hit, Eller is in on a break away keep your head up and talk to your D man Eller will be fine!

Here's the video again:

Pause it at 6 seconds and then again at 7 seconds.

I think my definition of a breakaway is different from Todd Fedoruk's.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

How is this any different from the hit that Raffi Torres got 25 games for?

Both were moments after the puck left the stick, both were borderline head/chest contact at the same time, both had devastating results.

Sens fans aside, I really don't understand the media campaign to call this hit clean.

• Like 1

Both were moments after the puck left the stick, both were borderline head/chest contact at the same time, both had devastating results.

Hossa didn't have possession of the puck, Eller did (just)

Torres jumped to initiate contact with the head, Gryba did not (though with his height he didn't need to)

Torres is a repeat offender, Gryba averages 2.7 hits a game (in 33 gp) w/o any majors

You can call this semantics but I'm trying to call it as I see it per the rules. That being said maybe you need an eye-for-an-eye rule... if you put a player out with an injury for multiple games then you get to sit a few yourself.

Sens fans aside, I really don't understand the media campaign to call this hit clean.

Whenever these discussions come up hockey "purists" fall back to the position that players should be responsible for having awareness etc. That and they know these incidents drive sales/viewership so having them in the game is a 'good' thing ...

I know it's not the greatest comparison ever, but you could make a good argument that Torres left his feet after the hit and that he hit shoulder and chest at the same time. Nobody of any importance made those arguments at the time, and probably rightfully so, because it was a reckless hit that resulted in a bad injury.

Gryba's hit was also a reckless hit that resulted in a bad injury that involves a hit to the head and shoulder at the same time (debatable, but I'll use the argument of the pro-gryba people) so I don't know why there is a big campaign to say it's a clean hit?

When did the philosophy change back from "protect the player" to "keep your head up?".

When did the philosophy change back from "protect the player" to "keep your head up?".

Considering "protect the player" is pretty much lip service from the NHL...

I am with Duane on this one. The reaction in this forum makes want to take a closer look at the play, however. Been kinda out of the loop so far with playoff hockey. That needs to change

http://offsidesports...to-suspend.html

From a lawyer that has a "legal side of sports" show on the Team1200:

From these images, Gryba does not make primary contact with the head. His hips and torso drive into Eller. The elbow is not up, nor is the shoulder delivered to the head. Contact is made with Eller’s body initially and that contact is away from the head.

So how is Eller rendered unconscious before he hits the ice? As a result of the initial impact, Eller’s head hits Gryba in the back of the shoulder knocking him out.

These images are quite helpful in getting a better idea of the manner in which the hit was delivered and received.

So without that primary contact to the head, the application of Rule 48 is off the table.

However, what about Paragraph 6(a) of the CBA, which provides for discipline in cases of hits that fall within the rules but are delivered with “excessive force”.

While the result of the hit was disheartening, the hit itself did not seem one that could be fairly characterized as “excessive”. Gryba lined up Eller (who had his head down), and a strong impactful hit was delivered. This was not a case of Gryba going after a defenseless Eller. It was, unfortunately for Eller and the Canadiens, a hit that not only falls within the rules but was also not excessive.

Problem is the laws of physics conspired to produce the result we saw.

It’s close but there is insufficient evidence to conclude that the hit was worthy of a suspension.

It was a legal hit with a terrible result. Still legal, though.

By the way, I’m a Habs fan.

Bottom line: if want a league that "protects the player" change the rules.

Prust also said:

I hope Gryba doesnt get suspended.

I am assuming by this he means he wants to take matters into his own hands. This could get ugly.

It is very hard for me to admit to loving a Montreal Canadien.

But I really like Brandon Prust..This is an old time hockey player..Tough as nails..He can score a few goals and love his attitude.

Good old London Knight boy..Also happens to be a close friend of my neighbours son..Grew up together.

BrianWilde@BWildeCTV2m

Exact words by Prust about MacLean: We don't really care about what that big eyed fat walrus has to say.

Gionta and Pacioretty out for tonight's game, crap.

I'm pretty sure I havent rooted for a team this much since Carolina was in the Cup Final.

I am all Habs fan tonight.

(gotta give the NHL credit, they WWF'ed me into getting into watching these playoffs)

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/05/03/eric-gryba-stepping-up-to-hit-lars-eller-was-not-just-the-right-play-it-was-a-great-play/#comment-71759

Don't forget to read the comments.

"Checking someone is not only to get the puck loose from the player. Checking is to hurt the guy." Vaden

"I think one could even say that it was a glancing blow, which spun Eller around causing him to lose blance and fall face first onto the ice." Sandy

If Eller misses the pass or lets it go through untouched does Gryba still make the hit? Would he have time to stop?

Any suspension in this case is pointless unless it is a suspension of considerable length designed to prevent it from happening again. The loss of Gryba pales in comparison to the loss of Eller. Even if they made a player sit out as long as the injured player was out it wouldn't matter.

http://offsidesports...to-suspend.html

From a lawyer that has a "legal side of sports" show on the Team1200:

From these images, Gryba does not make primary contact with the head. His hips and torso drive into Eller. The elbow is not up, nor is the shoulder delivered to the head. Contact is made with Eller’s body initially and that contact is away from the head.

So how is Eller rendered unconscious before he hits the ice? As a result of the initial impact, Eller’s head hits Gryba in the back of the shoulder knocking him out.

These images are quite helpful in getting a better idea of the manner in which the hit was delivered and received.

So without that primary contact to the head, the application of Rule 48 is off the table.

However, what about Paragraph 6(a) of the CBA, which provides for discipline in cases of hits that fall within the rules but are delivered with “excessive force”.

While the result of the hit was disheartening, the hit itself did not seem one that could be fairly characterized as “excessive”. Gryba lined up Eller (who had his head down), and a strong impactful hit was delivered. This was not a case of Gryba going after a defenseless Eller. It was, unfortunately for Eller and the Canadiens, a hit that not only falls within the rules but was also not excessive.

Problem is the laws of physics conspired to produce the result we saw.

It’s close but there is insufficient evidence to conclude that the hit was worthy of a suspension.

It was a legal hit with a terrible result. Still legal, though.

By the way, I’m a Habs fan.

Bottom line: if want a league that "protects the player" change the rules.

What definition of excessive is being used? To me it means more than is necessary. I think Gryba used more force than was necessary.

Prust also said:

I hope Gryba doesnt get suspended.

I am assuming by this he means he wants to take matters into his own hands. This could get ugly.

Add Subban's comments -- yes

What definition of excessive is being used? To me it means more than is necessary. I think Gryba used more force than was necessary.

So the CBC subban-cam showing him stake at 20km/h, halfway across the ice, and then lunge at Neil is ok? If you are serious about wanting excessive hits/headshots out of the game then that should be 5+game as well. Only way is to make a headshot a headshot --- suspensions for injuries.

Have you guys recall seeing a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for interference before?

Neil was looking forward and not in a vulnerable position.

There's a reason that Eller went to the hospital and Neil got up and skated to the bench. The hits are not comparable.

Have you guys recall seeing a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for interference before?

Chara on Pacioretty I believe.

So the CBC subban-cam showing him stake at 20km/h, halfway across the ice, and then lunge at Neil is ok? If you are serious about wanting excessive hits/headshots out of the game then that should be 5+game as well. Only way is to make a headshot a headshot --- suspensions for injuries.

Is that really the answer you're going with? That's similar to the answer my children give me when I ask them why they hit their brother or sister. Because they hit me.

We're not talking about the Subban hit. We're talking about the Gryba hit. If you'd like my opinion on the Subban hit then all you have to do is ask, but you shouldn't just assume I'm ok with anything. Weren't you complaining about assumptions earlier?

So do you think Gryba used more force than was necessary?

"Is that really the answer you're going with? That's similar to the answer my children give me when I ask them why they hit their brother or sister. Because they hit me."

Really? Nice lame attempt at being patronizing.

Which hit was at a higher speed, and more far more targeted?

Oh you are going with the patronizing strawman argument? I'm out.

So you're pleading the fifth on my question?

2 games for Gryba. Should have been more like 7 or 8, but I'm glad logic and rational thought won out over the widespread media rhetoric that was claiming this was a clean hit.