Club De Hockey Canadien

I disagree that the effect on the Leafs would be any more than the general effect on the league.

We disagree.

If Kevin Shattenkirk goes to St.Louis with the same contract as a comparable, they say we cant afford to pay that much for such a D, or that they refuse to pay anyone more then Pietrangelo. The Leafs dont have those excuses, since they have shown they were willing to pay that amount, for that calibre of player.

But even if it has only a general effect on the league, wouldnt that in itself be a negative too?

oh, and Sakic, Fedorov, Kesler, Vanek, Weber........Penner.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

We disagree.

If Kevin Shattenkirk goes to St.Louis with the same contract as a comparable, they say we cant afford to pay that much for such a D, or that they refuse to pay anyone more then Pietrangelo. The Leafs dont have those excuses, since they have shown they were willing to pay that amount, for that calibre of player.

But even if it has only a general effect on the league, wouldnt that in itself be a negative too?

oh, and Sakic, Fedorov, Kesler, Vanek, Weber........Penner.

The general effect on the league is a negative for sure, but that's collusion to consider it for those reasons and technically not allowed.

I think you are severely oversimplifying negotiations. Because the Leafs paid Subban this year, Gardiner is going to ask for more next year? They're different players and in different situations. I won't argue it will effect the general market, but to say a specific team making offer sheets will have to pay their own players more is unreasonable, in my opinion. If anything, the fact that anyone negotiating with them would know they are willing to offer sheet, and therefore have access to a larger group of players, would actually improve their negotiating position! Maybe next year Gardiner wants a big contract, knows the Leafs have crappy UFA options, but can't demand the big bucks, because he knows the Leafs are willing to offer sheet Subban or whoever is available.

• 2 weeks later...

I would call him up (not release him) in the summer, and then make a decision on whether or not to re-sign at the end of the season. You get another year and a half to decide. He's $1.00 and just a single roster spot, so no biggie, IMO.

That would be a good move. Gionta has only one more season left after this one with Montreal. I think Eller will move into the top six and his offensive numbers will improve.

It proves Grabovski had two free hands and had options other than biting.

I'm no self defense expert but having 2 free hands doesn't mean you can remove somebodies arm from you in that position. It's why you choke somebody from behind since the choker has the leverage.

what other options exactly? he's clearly attempting to pry his arms free with his free hands, but that's nearly impossible with the lock Pacioretty has on him. is he supossed to start throwing wild backwards punches at his face?

I'm also no self-defense expert but if someone is allegedly trying to choke me with the inside of his wrist and I have two free hands I'm pretty sure I'd have options other than biting. Turn body, turn head, push arm up, drop down. Grabovski chose to bite...it wasn't his only option.

I'm also no self-defense expert but if someone is allegedly trying to choke me with the inside of his wrist and I have two free hands I'm pretty sure I'd have options other than biting. Turn body, turn head, push arm up, drop down. Grabovski chose to bite...it wasn't his only option.

Not that I give a crap, but that is far from true. His back is against a swarm of other people, he may have been losing his balance and falling under skates, and a much stronger person than him putting a lot of force on his face through his mouth. I mean, a few butterflies playing Red Rover could probably hold Grabovski back, but that's not really the question.

If it was any kind of vicious bite (which that photo doesn't prove at all), then he's kind of a loser-wuss, but maybe he was just excited for Walking Dead to start up again. I've been biting people all day.

In summary:

Prust sucker-punched someone. I haven't seen any video of said punch, but Bob Cole claimed there was a punch thrown by Prust and Bob Cole is never mistaken. Not sure where the "sucker" part came from though.

Orr was justified in punching Bourque in the face because Bourque skated into the play to stop Orr from beating Gionta.

Orr was justified in taking a run at Plekanec with 5 minutes to go in a 5-0 game because Plekanec "poked the bear" by knocking Orr's stick away from him a few moments prior.

Pacioretty was trying to smother Grabovski with the inside of his forearm, therefore Grabovski was justified in biting Pacioretty.

Gorges was "almost crying" during the post game interview.

I don't believe Orr was justified in taking a run at Pleks. I thought it was a dirty play.

Gionta actually engaged with Orr, and I do not believe Orr had any intention of doing anything with Gionta other than holding on to him. If Orr had wanted to, he could have dropped Gionta pretty quickly, but he didn't, he just held on. Bourque then engaged Orr from behind. I don't know if Orr was justified in punching Bourque, I would have liked to see him just hang on and not throw a punch, but if you grab a goon from behind who already has his gloves off, you should at least prepare yourself for the possibility that he is going to punch you.

Pacioretty was definitely smothering Grabovskis' face from behind, this isn't really up for debate. I don't think he was intentionally trying to cut off his air flow, but the pictures and video speak for themselves. I do not believe that grabovski actually bit him, however, I believe he was justified in doing so if he indeed couldn't breathe. Rational thoughts go out the window when your air supply is cut off.

Gorges 'appeared' to be almost crying in his post-game interview, this part is true. Also made disparaging remarks about Grabovski's 'manhood' and indicated that he should 'be a man' and drop the gloves rather than bite someone, which is a ridiculous comment to make, given the nature of the incident.

Sort of...it's hard to decide which one of the many stimulating conversations in this forum to get involved in.

Post of the year

Obvious what drives discussion. Greatest rivalry in sport.

The hatred that unites us all.

For those curious:

Orr 6'3" 222 lbs

Gionta 5'7" 174 lbs

McLaren 6'5" 230 lbs

Gorges 6'1" 203 lbs

Can't tell at all by the video what happened with Orr/Gionta/Bourque.

I also can't tell who started the McLaren/Gorges fight. It is, however, obvious that McLaren could have destroyed Gorges at any time, but instead simply held him while Gorges was actually trying to fight. McLaren completely let up. At one point, he appears to even ask if Gorges wants to stop, Gorges says no, and McLaren STILL doesn't retaliate until Gorges throws another punch, and even then, at half-strength.

Maybe Gorges was crying because he tried to fight someone bigger than him (not saying he initiated it), and was totally embarassed.

Sorry, I see this discussion is happening in another thread. Ignore this.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.queerty.com/montreal-canadiens-player-rumored-to-be-coming-out-as-nhls-first-openly-gay-player-20130305/

Looks like Josh Gorges might be coming out as the first openly GAY NHL player..

Good for him, it cant be easy for him but its a very positive thing to happen.