Club De Hockey Canadien

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bolded part is evidently now public. I was not aware. An excerpt from the press conference during the donation pledge....   At Wednesday’s announcement, P.K. was filled with emotion as he talked

This is not the Leafs thread...we don't celebrate every little accomplishment.

Doesn't really matter though. If he creates 5 goals and costs his team 4 goals, he is still more valuable than a super shut down defenseman who never gives up a goal but who never creates a goal for e

So the Canadiens are going to pay Gomez $100m this season (salary + cap hit) to sit at home and get bought next year w/ the amesty buyout.

GJ; not like UFAs were flocking to sign in Mtl anyways...

a dick move to Gomez? Come on, you must be joking.

Maybe if he played better, he wouldn't be in this mess.

He wanted a lot of money to play hockey, he got it, now he's paying the consequences of no longer being worth that salary. He should be more embarrassed then offended.

Not that his crappy play didn't help but this will likely be a career ending sit-out. If Gomez was bought out now he probably would get a couple million from a GM looking to gamble. A year from now? He'll be lucky to sign on league minimum.

Oh well, can't blame the Habs GM too much. The new CBA could have allowed the amnesty buyout now and next year...

Bergevin would love to give Gomez another shot at turning his career around and earning a roster spot, but his hands are somewhat tied on this.

Gomez's actual salary is about $4.5 million but his cap hit is $7+ million. The Habs do not have the cap space next season for that hit.

There is a chance someone may pick him up off waivers, but nobody is expecting that. Who really knows though...the salary being lower than the cap hit might appeal to some team.

In an ideal world Gomez would get a shot to prove he belongs and then the Habs could decide during the summer if they wanted to buy him out or if they wanted to explore another option. However, the CBA states that an injured player cannot be bought out so if Gomez were to play and get injured then the option of buying him out would no longer be an option. It's the same situation with Wade Redden.

I'm curious to know why the NHLPA allows this type of thing. Gomez is essentially suspended with pay for no violation whatsoever. Sure he hasn't played well, but that would apply to a lot of players. He's not being permitted to practice or play with the Habs or Hamilton. At the very least I would think he should be treated like every other player who gets scratched from the lineup. He should be allowed to practice with the team, travel with the team and watch the games from the press box. I haven't heard any of this mentioned by anyone. Of course, that doesn't mean he wasn't given that option and chose to go home rather than put up with the media BS that would go along with being an everyday scratch.

Red tape bullshit.

I'm kinda trying to look at it as if he's just not good enough to make the team, so they send him home. Dunno.

Also, why would the NHLPA care? I mean, ok, on a micro level, maybe it sucks for Gomez... maybe? But on a macro level, that's one additional member being paid.

I can totally see the club's side of this issue, they can't afford his cap hit next year under any circumstances, and it doesn't matter if he gets hurt in camp, practice, scrimmage or NHL game, injured on the job is injured on the job and if it carries over the summer they're completely screwed. No possible reason to risk putting him on a pair of skates in any official capacity.

Looks to be a moot issue

Teams will be allowed to use their compliance buyout now up until the start of the season. However players bought out under this accelerated buyout window will still fully count against salary cap this year and teams will be on the hook for the full salary this year. There'll be a second compliance buyout period in the summer as agreed in the CBA.

Now the Q is; where do Gomez and Redden end up?

I think this is a classy move by the NHL. I'm sure Gomez and Redden are grateful. Money aside...hockey players like playing hockey. There are a few teams who are interested in a dman. The Islanders might want Redden. I don't know why but Colorado popped into my head as a team maybe interested in Gomez.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How realistic is a trade?

Here is the RFA compensation ranges, you figure a trade would have to be comparable to these:

• $1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
  • Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
  • Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
  • Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
  • Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
  • Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
  • Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

I m not sure if he falls into the 5,046,585 range, BUT he might..At worst the market for him is a first round pick plus....As much as I hate this guy, my hatred would turn into love if the Leafs were to get him..Hometime boy, playing in Toronto..He could OWN this city...

I dont know if I should be impressed by this, but I am. I really them to sign him now, I need him for my fantasy team, but I like that the Habs are drawing a line. They might be wrong, and crazy, but love them for sticking to their convictions.

The Montreal Canadiens are sticking with their two-year/$5.1 million offer to restricted free agent P.K. Subban.

That's the same deal that they presented to him in May.

That's insanely undervaluing him. Maybe this inspires teams to offer him a contract that is more akin to his actual value, and he'll sign an offer sheet that Montreal will have to match.

There was some stuff on Twitter today about his actual value through the use of advanced stats that I don't really understand, and didn't actually read (maybe they were saying he wasn't worth anything?)

I think PK got robbed, I commend the Canadiens for sticking to their guns and not opening up the vault for him....But compared to some other contracts this seems low.

Considering the fact he is actually a guy that people come to watch..He can be the face of the franchise.

I hate to bring up the race thing, but if he was a Quebec grown francophone player, we might have seen bigger and longer contract.

Its not a black issue IMO, but an english/french issue that still is prevalent with this organization.

I think many times players are paid not for their talent or their stats, but because of the situation of their contract. UFA's are grossly overpaid for example.

Its about time NHL teams figured out when a player has no leverage, and made them take the deal the team was offering. If PK wasnt giving up any UFA years, then dont bother locking him down...wait and make him prove himself. He's still not going anywhere at the end of those 2 years, and if Montreal believes in him then, then they can offer a long term deal.

I think PK did ok, considering his salary in year 2 will be the basis of any future negotations/arbitration. He'll be making over 4mill in the 3rd year easy, if he doesnt bust out.